Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Zotix posted:

I haven't bought my mobo yet, just the 3900x. Is like to hear about what mobos people went with as well.

I was trying to hold off on buying the cpu in hopes of getting a slight discount on the combo purchase. I guess I can wait a little bit since I have that backordered Trident Z RAM on Newegg anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Zotix posted:

I haven't bought my mobo yet, just the 3900x. Is like to hear about what mobos people went with as well.

This seems like the trickiest thing to me as an also soon-to-be 3900x buyer.

The highest-end X570 boards seem absolutely pointless even for people who are ready to trade an extra couple of hundreds for a 1% boost in something, from what I can see.

Up until now, I had been planning on getting an X570 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra for $300 because it hit all of my criteria (ATX form factor, Intel gigabit LAN, Wi-Fi 6 + Bluetooth 5, great enough VRM to handle 3900X, and 4 RAM slots). I suspect that I could get something cheaper, but so far I haven't been able to find another motherboard yet that hits all of these points but at a lower price.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 8, 2019

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

movax posted:

Anyone preordered / queued up at B&H?

Newegg has the Asus WS X570 In stock so I snagged that at least.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I have no clue about x570 boards, how did you decide on that one?

I'm now realizing I don't need ECC ram which that board supports, it's predecessors were very power efficient and had all the features you need with no gamer bullshit.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Anyone have any idea of what the restocking rates will look like for the next couple weeks? I'd prefer to get a 3900x + x470 board (or maybe even a B450 board?) combo deal from Microcenter but if that's looking slim I'll eat the $30 and go online.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I’m really glad I have 100 stocks in AMD right now. :smug: bought in at 15.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 8, 2019

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
So they're saying there's some funky stuff going on with the driver bios/scheduler that's gimping gaming performance.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I'm now realizing I don't need ECC ram which that board supports, it's predecessors were very power efficient and had all the features you need with no gamer bullshit.

i'd rather have a 2.5gb port than a OOB one, even if it is geared towards biz. Looks like i'll have to do the gamer bullshit to get em.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

I’m really glad I have 100 stocks in AMD right now. :smug: bout in at 15.

Mr Money Bags here

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I'm still waiting on the 3950x, should be able to see which mobos are great or not

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Harik posted:

has anyone run the numbers on undervolting? It is a new process after all, maybe AMD is being overly conservative with the voltages.

I will be doing so... As soon as I can actually get my hands on one.

I wasn't expecting the global supply of 3900Xs to sell out while I was at a market with my wife.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

They went quick. This morning they went on sale on Newegg at like 1am est. Gone by the time I woke up. I sat around for an hour before work debating on pulling the trigger on the 3700k on Newegg, while refreshing Amazon in hopes the 3800 or 3900 went on sale. Which did not happen before I left for work. I was at work for like 20 minutes and I refreshed r/amd and saw that amd.com actually had some for sale and I saw that as my chance and bought directly through them.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Zotix posted:

Probably going with MSI gaming pro carbon. Don't need the Ace but want a little more than the basic VRM config and I know their bioses after building off enough Tomahawk boards. Still waiting on 3800x benches to see how much extra boost it can get over the 3700x. Anandtech has stated there's a hard socket power limit based off the stated CPU TDP?:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14605/the-and-ryzen-3700x-3900x-review-raising-the-bar/19

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
https://www.xanxogaming.com/reviews...A_GeForce_cards

quote:

With this information, I decided to flash BIOS, the first BIOS released for the X570 AORUS MASTER board and surprise, the boost frequencies were working as they should, even beyond the processor at 4.65 GHz.

Seems like AMD rushed to get the chips out on 7/7.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ragingsheep posted:

Intel: please stop I can't take anymore of this

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

The more time I spend researching boards, the more I get pissed off by those loving chipset fans. I bet they will all fail within a year.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

mcbexx posted:

The more time I spend researching boards, the more I get pissed off by those loving chipset fans. I bet they will all fail within a year.

I’ve seen a few users reports on Reddit saying that some run at full speed even at low usage and are loud as gently caress.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Ragingsheep posted:

Yeah Wendel from L1T confirmed this he said the boost issues were much worse when the reviewers first got their kits, sounds like it's still a work in progress.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
So if I have this right, the older bios boosts 100 MHz higher on a single core but is unstable? Stunning stuff, can’t imagine why they patched it.

I have a hard time believing none of the other reviewers communicated about boost clocks. Surely some rando is not saying anything people haven’t heard, and surely X570 wouldn’t clock lower seeing as that’s their premier platform this time around.

And yes, boost clocks are surely a work in progress but the fact that der8auer is only getting 4.8 GHz delidded on on LN2 does not bode well for massive improvements in all-core clock.

Thinking back, the demo at CES was not sandbagging at all, it had to be about 4.2 or 4.3, which explains why Su was sweating bullets during the demo. That was probably a 3700X at final clocks.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 8, 2019

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

lol 3700x is basically sold out already on Amazon. 3600x just says in stock though.

Hmm, or maybe its just showing other resellers right now for the 3700x and it hasn't actually gone on sale yet by amazon.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

lol 3700x is basically sold out already on Amazon. 3600x just says in stock though.

Hmm, or maybe its just showing other resellers right now for the 3700x and it hasn't actually gone on sale yet by amazon.

3600X has been on sale all day. The 3700X only popped up due to third party sellers, Amazon directly has not started selling it or the 3900X (what I want) yet. Been checking since the morning.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Paul MaudDib posted:

So if I have this right, the older bios boosts 100 MHz higher on a single core but is unstable? Stunning stuff, can’t imagine why they patched it.

I have a hard time believing none of the other reviewers communicated about boost clocks. Surely some rando is not saying anything people haven’t heard, and surely X470 wouldn’t clock lower seeing as that’s their premier platform this time around.

And yes, boost clocks are surely a work in progress but the fact that der8auer is only getting 4.8 GHz delidded on on LN2 does not bode well for massive improvements in all-core clock.

Thinking back, the demo at CES was not sandbagging at all, it had to be about 4.2 or 4.3, which explains why Su was sweating bullets during the demo. That was probably a 3700X at final clocks.

Hmmm not being able to unlock higher freq by going to LN2 basically means that AMD is running at the process limit. Since 7nm is a mobile process, it makes a lot of sense that it was optimized for lower freq but amazing power consumption and area--thus the excellent overall PPA numbers vs out and out fMAX.

FWIW intel is wasting something if going to LN2 is needed to unlock extra freq...they could push the gain into denser transistors or something else.

But, given that 14nm++++ is essentially a frequency optimized version of 14nm, not surprising, since they had to do something to increase perf.

Sunny Cove on a non-hosed 10nm will be interesting since it has a genuinely better microarch than skylake. But will Intel bite the bullet and increase core count?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

ratbert90 posted:

I’m really glad I have 100 stocks in AMD right now. :smug: bought in at 15.

yeah I've got quite a few shares and I'm looking forward to tomorrow and the rest of the week frankly

e:

Malcolm XML posted:

Sunny Cove on a non-hosed 10nm will be interesting since it has a genuinely better microarch than skylake. But will Intel bite the bullet and increase core count?

the next server platform will be a redesign. LOL if you think they're not just going to spin Skylake again for desktop right now

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 8, 2019

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

GamersNexus just put up their 3900X review and what struck me was the in some cases large differences in gaming performance between SMT on and SMT off kind of like with the original Zen at launch. I wonder if this is something that will improve with time and patches and such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqQ2X1y0jvw

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Crunchy Black posted:

the next server platform will be a redesign. LOL if you think they're not just going to spin Skylake again for desktop right now

It is already on the roadmap. 10 core Comet Lake in Q1 2020.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Cygni posted:

It is already on the roadmap. 10 core Comet Lake in Q1 2020.

I mean I'm officially out of the industry now but ahhahahahahaha if you think they're gonna stick to that

e: just think about what you just posted. 10 cores. You really think Intel is going to suddenly jump to a chiplet architecture, especially when AMD just has!?

eames
May 9, 2009

Id really like to see some load temperatures with various different coolers, from boxed to NH-D15S and AIO.

I suspect that the difference in temps and performance is minimal because the heat transfer, not dissipation, is the bottleneck. There seem to be a lot of people panicking and buying a huge aftermarket HSF because of temps when the boxed one might be just as good, just a bit louder. In fact the boxed one might be better than many aftermarket solutions because of the asymmetrical chiplet layout.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

That seems unlikely because if it were coming that soon the 9900KS would be kind of pointless since that's not coming until Q4.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Crunchy Black posted:

I mean I'm officially out of the industry now but ahhahahahahaha if you think they're gonna stick to that

e: just think about what you just posted. 10 cores. You really think Intel is going to suddenly jump to a chiplet architecture, especially when AMD just has!?

No, I don't. Comet Lake is supposed to be another monolithic Skylake 14nm design.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Cygni posted:

No, I don't. Comet Lake is supposed to be another monolithic Skylake 14nm design.

So how, exactly, are they going to do that on a socket that isn't 2011/2066 or 3467?

eames
May 9, 2009

MaxxBot posted:

That seems unlikely because if it were coming that soon the 9900KS would be kind of pointless since that's not coming until Q4.

They launched the 9900K less than three months after the 8086K. :shrug:

Crunchy Black posted:

So how, exactly, are they going to do that on a socket that isn't 2011/2066 or 3467?

Early rumors were that it would have two chips connected by a dual ringbus architecture on a new LGA12xx consumer socket.
In theory they could get away with 10 cores on one ringbus (see X6950) but a dual ringbus arch could theoretically allow them to glue together two 9900Ks on one substrate. Should be fun to cool.

eames fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 8, 2019

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Crunchy Black posted:

Why are you trying to argue with me? I don't know, I'm just telling you what the roadmap says, man.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

eames posted:

I suspect that the difference in temps and performance is minimal because the heat transfer, not dissipation, is the bottleneck.

I believe you're right and the tiny surface area of the chiplet is playing a big role here. A Zen 2 chiplet is less than half the area of a Zen+ die. Even using way less power it's going to have trouble moving heat as well.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I bought a 3900x this morning off AMD's store. I have a 2700x and a RoG Strix X470-I but I assume it should be fine for the 3900x? I just updated the bios though I figure there'll probably be another one coming.

I debated switching to an mATX case (maybe something like the Cerberus) instead of the NCASE I use now for better thermals with the side benefit of better board options, but I'm not sure. One of the weird issues I've had is despite having a good Noctua heatsink (I think it's the NH-U14S), the fans burst up in speed periodically for a couple seconds under load no matter what I adjust the curve to. Always figured it might be a board issue.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

MaxxBot posted:

GamersNexus just put up their 3900X review and what struck me was the in some cases large differences in gaming performance between SMT on and SMT off kind of like with the original Zen at launch. I wonder if this is something that will improve with time and patches and such.

I noticed that too, but I'm to tech illiterate to know why.

eames
May 9, 2009

triple sulk posted:

One of the weird issues I've had is despite having a good Noctua heatsink (I think it's the NH-U14S), the fans burst up in speed periodically for a couple seconds under load no matter what I adjust the curve to. Always figured it might be a board issue.

Asus boards should have good fan control in the Monitor -> Q-Fan Configuration menu. I had similar issues with my Intel system out of the box but bumping up the "Step Up Time" and "Step Down Time" of the affected fans to higher numbers solved the problem. The two settings control the time it takes for fans to react to temperature changes. As always keep an eye on temps and tweak at your own risk, etc.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

MaxxBot posted:

Zen cores are generally wider and have more execution units available per core than Intel, but can’t utilize them fully on a single thread. There is only so much instruction level parallelism to extract and only so deep you can reasonably speculate, so multiple threads keeps a wider core more utilized.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

But the issue is it actually performs better with SMT off rather than on in some games and in some cases this would be the case with the 3900X but not the 3600, basically the game runs best with a certain number of threads but not more or less.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 8, 2019

eames
May 9, 2009

"The Stilt" posted in-depth technical info at overclock.net, the best technical review of Zen 2 I've seen so far:

TheStilt posted:

The overclocking capabilities
Essentially, if we're talking about the higher-end SKUs, there is basically none.
Based on my experience, the best case of scenario on 6C CCDs (3600, 3600X and 3900X) is around 4.25GHz, at relatively safe voltage levels.
In case of 3900X, given that you can cool the chip with two of those 6C CCDs. SKUs with 8C CCDs (3700X, 3800X and 3950X) the best case is around 4.15GHz. The 3950X is expected to be thermally limited, as a whole.
The biggest limit is the intensity (heat per area), secondly the voltage you can safely feed to the silicon. For example, the 9900K which has a reputation of being an inferno, has theoretical intensity of ~1.15W/mm² when operating at 5.0GHz (200W @ 174mm²).
Meanwhile Matisse can easily reach intensity of > 1.5W/mm² (120W+ @ 74mm²).
The second issue is, that beyond ~3.8GHz the V/F curve becomes extremely steep. According to FIT, the safe voltage levels for the silicon are around 1.325V in high-current loads
and up to 1.47V in low-current loads (i.e ST), depending on the silicon characteristics. Because the stock boost operation is already limited by the silicon voltage reliability, the only way to eke out every last bit of all-core performance is using OC-Mode. Like on previous Ryzen generations, entering OC-Mode also means that you will loose the turbo boost (all cores operate at same frequency). On the higher-end SKUs, the single threaded performance penalty will be massive from doing so. For example on 3900X, you'd be trading additional ~100MHz all-core frequency to a loss of up to 450MHz in ST frequency by doing so. Personally, I advice against overclocking the higher-end SKUs at all, and instead increasing the power limits and trying your luck with the "Auto OC" feature (which most likely isn't beneficial).

The V/F testing was done using full resource utilization (FRU), meaning the stability was tested using 256-bit workloads.
Unlike Intel designs, Matisse does not feature an offset for 256-bit workloads. This means that to ensure the stability of the CPU cores in every scenario, they must be tested using this kind of a workload.
On Matisse, the delta in power consumption between the scalar and 256-bit vector instructions is massive, as expected (37%). That being said, there seems to be other design related factors limiting the maximum achievable frequency.
Despite significantly lower power consumption and therefore also lower temperatures, stability even in pure scalar workloads could not be achieved at much higher frequencies, compare to FRU scenario.

more here, including IPC analysis, voltage/frequency graphs, SMT, Asus allegedly repeating the "MCE" review drama, etc.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-amd-cpus/1728758-strictly-technical-matisse-not-really.html#/topics/1728758

eames fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 8, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Dang 3600X looking like a pretty nice deal. I can't find much comparing it to the i5 9600k besides a video where the guy compares it to a 9600k overclocked to 5Ghz and it only has like 10 more fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpYiJ9h05JM