Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
Are weapon unlocks earned in multi? It isn't popping up the notifications after missions for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Are you doing missions that you already did before on the same difficulty? Weapons do unlock in multiplayer but the unlocks are tied to specific missions, aside from drone unlocks and killcount superweapons. It might also just be bugging out and not showing a unlock screen, check your weapons next time you complete a mission on a difficulty you hadn't done before. Also, one last thing, weapons don't unlock at all on easy or disaster.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I'm starting to wonder if there was some internal dev war over giving us straight up good weapons vs "Nah man, don't you know wacky drawbacks are what EDF weapons are known for? gently caress it's poo poo up."

For example, I bought a B rank laser minigun because it had practical stats and also had instant firing (Because being flinched out of even an assault rifle is a pain).

After a do-over against silver ants making a fresh appearance in the middle of an ant queen spam mission ("Energy resistant adds huh? *slams 80% of remaining cash on the 'outrun your own energy balls or die gogogog' Sigma sphere limit* They'll be easy to shoot if everything ELSE is dead first!"). I started looking over my list of miniguns again.

For example. the B rank Minigun EC-Rodeo II. It looks like a perfectly reasonable seeming "regular" minigun I skipped over because the drawbacks of being slow to fire and slow to aim were becoming a hinderance on spray'n'pray type weapons.

Then you read the description.

"This masterpiece minigun has improved rotary. The previous issues of slow rotary activation and heavy recoil have been resolved. Which also alivieates the issue of reduced aim speed. This weapon can now be wielded in any situation."

Sounds like progress!... Why didn't I buy this immediately regardless of it costing all of my remaining cash? Oh, because the weapon stats still say it has a delayed trigger response and decreased aim speed while firing. Which is why I passed it over because it would cost me all of my money when I was feeling just done with spin up on anything but a railgun. (And the literal hardest mission in the game seems to be #41 "It's just a couple spiders in a tunnel! A nice breather mission-ow ow ow ow ow ow ow". Thank goodness for Swords granting super armor")

Or maybe it's just a simple oversight. Like the otherwise wonderfully well rounded C rank La Marseilliase assault rifle completely obscuring it's scope aim it has with it's own muzzle flash :downsgun: (It's fine, I didn't need to aim at those teleporting drones better anyways).

Most railguns remain a joy, which made backtracking to get drones oh so worth it. Even just E-C railguns kick rear end all through Hard, and I regularly dropped back down to a D rank Sonic Pile when I wanted to move more than obliterate dropships by looking at them funny.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 21, 2019

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Mission 41 is real easy with the D rank flamethrower up to hard, you just walk forward and hold down fire and all the small spiders die almost instantly. There's later a B rank one that has the same ability to penetrate and high damage, though without the ability to ignite, which is fine because literally everything durable is status immune.
Good design there /s.

Anyways, I farmed up enough to build the curtain call missile launcher, and man is it good. 741 damage, fast reload and lock on, 6 shots, and most importantly, it completely ignores walls. Literally the only drawback is it fires a little slow, It was definitely worth the 1 million credits. Should be able to carry me to the end of hard and a good ways into hardest.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Zoig posted:

Mission 41 is real easy with the D rank flamethrower up to hard, you just walk forward and hold down fire and all the small spiders die almost instantly. There's later a B rank one that has the same ability to penetrate and high damage, though without the ability to ignite, which is fine because literally everything durable is status immune.
Good design there /s.

Anyways, I farmed up enough to build the curtain call missile launcher, and man is it good. 741 damage, fast reload and lock on, 6 shots, and most importantly, it completely ignores walls. Literally the only drawback is it fires a little slow, It was definitely worth the 1 million credits. Should be able to carry me to the end of hard and a good ways into hardest.

I like the other AA Missile Launcher that shoots 10 lasers that each do like 200 damage. It shreds through both single targets and groups because it fires as fast as you can pull the trigger and has a massive magazine. The only things it isn't great against are super long range targets, and silver ants. This is the only edf game since 2017 where I've regularly used missiles, they're great.

I've every mission on Hard and almost everything on Hardest, this is my bread and butter weapon. For silver ants, I use the B-rank acid energy thrower, for dropships I use the B-rank Arabesque railgun. The only thing that really gives me significant problems are large groups of Sideros. I wish they'd patch them to be a little less aggressive, as right now every mission that involves them ends up with me zipping around the stage and taking tiny pot shots at them.

SoR Blaze fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 21, 2019

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Maybe try the willatuk tank? It has 23000 hp and a mega maser primary, that thing seems to rip through anything I point it at, it took out a beizal with half of its ammo leftover and it cuts down anything else rather quickly. Honestly its really nice having a vehicle that is incredibly durable, but dont try any of the flyers, they are very, VERY bad.

I'll see about getting that, though I'm mostly hoping for the iguazu 3 laser cannon.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I preordered Iron Rain and my friend didn't, he got it later. So, I was over his house and played split screen, logged into my account as player two. Game said "New Content Added" and now friend had access to DLC cosmetics.
Now when he loads his save, error message mentions DLC content not found, either download it or make "new" save data, which sounds bad. Anyone else have this problem or hear of it? Searched for it and got nothing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is it really EDF if you're not squad wiping on accident every time you play Air Raider or Wing Diver because you either don't know what you're using or an ant gets in the way of the laser sight and you blow yourself up immediately

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

"Yeah uh try to get out of the way because that was an airstrike not a vehicle drop" is my favorite part of EDF :tipshat:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

"Here comes Whale to save you!" heralded more of my deaths in 4.1 than anything else.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
EDF 5 kind of put a damper on "accidental" friendly fire by highlighting strike zones in giant screaming red warning indicators.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kanos posted:

EDF 5 kind of put a damper on "accidental" friendly fire by highlighting strike zones in giant screaming red warning indicators.

This has not stopped a single incident of friendly fire in my group

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

This has not stopped a single incident of friendly fire in my group

My friends all play Wing Divers and Fencers, who can basically teleport anywhere on the map in two picoseconds, so I can quite literally drop Phobos Plan 4s directly on top of them and they can still escape. :smith:

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
God these drone collectables are dogshit! I usually avoid using a guide for stuff like this but even the gems are hard to pickout in this graphics engine gently caress scouring these enormous levels for an object the size of a dustbin. Ugh.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mr Phillby posted:

God these drone collectables are dogshit! I usually avoid using a guide for stuff like this but even the gems are hard to pickout in this graphics engine gently caress scouring these enormous levels for an object the size of a dustbin. Ugh.
Some of them are very nice, but a lot of them are no better than what you get from hard/hardest either due to Iron Rain's love of doubling down on drawbacks and gimmicks even for top shelf weapons.

The lower rank Sonic Pile variety railguns you get quickly from the drones are a godsend for most of Hard. While the penultimate drone unlock is an A rank minigun that has one 8k damage shot.... which also overheats your PA energy gauge to fire.

Yet I thought to myself "I'd be more annoyed at this, if normal miniguns were not super awkward anyways." A rank hardest Exterminator still has the "You can't even move while shooting this" penalty. And I'm still mad over whatever Minigun it was where the text description said they solved the slow spin up and slow aiming, only for it to still have both those problems listed in it's stat block. (At least I got a ninja from drones.)

It feels less that the DRONE unlocks are bad, again, especially because they were my salvation in the front half of the game when I was busy shaking my fist after bullshit drawbacks or unwanted "You want an assault rifle with a spin up time, right?"sidegrades on hard.

It's that a vast majority of Iron Rain weapons just have defects or are extreme sidegrades, rather than the minority. Or your favorite kinds dry up and don't go above C-B "Oh boy, I LOVE this Wide type sword, it's charge attack is super practical for swarms and multiple sidos! No wacky gimmicks like a sword based sniper rifle shot that will miss a slowly flying ant! When do I get the next one?... Huh, the japanese wiki only lists up to C for this kind. That's only because they haven't finished collecting data, right.... right?"

But... If you have already blown through the game and are collecting AA rank weapons? Then yeah, after the fact I can see them being super underwhelming. Rather than thanking god the Drones gave you a half decent energy thrower, shortly after you blew all your money on a homing laser rifle that can FINALLY reload... only to discover it won't home without a missile launcher style lock on. And it shoots the first salvo dumbfire while busy locking on for the next. And the homing is so poo poo that slowly flying ants will accidentally dodge it beyond practical assault rifle range anyways. Hard for me to be mad at drones unlocks specifically due to stuff like that.

Also there is a nice video with timestamps guide I found that made finding drones dirt easy. As the game progresses more and more of them are closer to your starting position as well, but still real easy to walk past (especially the ones hidden in tarps or buildings oh my god).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niojTGfQmbQ

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 27, 2019

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

The weapons in this game all feel like they were each made independently on a different day. Also having all these gimmicks is pretty normal, but because of the severe decrease in weapon density caused by having all of them available and the fact that you need to grind credits to make them later on, the gimmicks stand out even worse as "why would I ever take this."

Iron rain is 3 steps forward, and 2 steps back in terms of progress; stuff like the resources, buyable armor, and dedicated item slots are really good and frankly it would be a shame to not have them in edf 6, but credits need to go, and airstrikes need to be a actual primary weapon again. I tried using them a few times, and they are bad not only in being single use, but also because holy gently caress why does it take 15 seconds for my bombers to arrive.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I noticed that the latest update halved the cost of healing items at least. However the rebooter we were using now only costs 50 to use, so getting revived at full health costs a twelfth of our current healing items that only give back something like 1/5.

Its encouraging that they're willing to adjust the balance for item costs, though it deffo still needs work.

Another side note, why is the practice range unavailiable in splitscreen? Also does the game allow you to test out weapons before purchase? I didn't check.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Apr 27, 2019

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It doesn't

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo014x3JrEA
Remember that Wing Diver shmup?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I got Iron Rain on PSN sale last week. I haven't progressed that far, but I do have some overall thought:

The Good:
  • Jet Lifter feels really good. It's nice to not have to worry about balancing weapon usage with jetpack usage.
  • It's going to be really hard to go back to collecting armor boxes after being able to buy HP increases (that are universal across classes!).
  • Weapon drops are 'automatic' in that they're linked to progression (although you can break the curve a bit if you are obsessive about collecting all of the MIA drones).
  • Buildings collapse and break real good, even if using non-explosive weapons.
  • The Prowl Rider.
  • No more weird gender-specific classes! Women can wear giant armored suits and Spiderman throughout the city just as well as men can, so now they're able to!
  • Speaking of gender, a big toning down of the weird, impractical outfits (at least at the outset) for women. My wife and I gave each other the 'really?' look when we saw what passed for lower-body armor for the EDF 5 Wing Diver (although if that is your thing, you can still eventually acquire a short skirt for female characters and there are boob physics).
  • Customizing your character beyond colors! This is actually super cool and good, and I wish the mainline EDF games will take note of this and allow us more customization beyond picking a color scheme that makes other players' eyeballs bleed.
  • Turning mines/turrets/hand grenades into cross-class deployables. I always felt like taking one along as a weapon in an EDF game was a real gamble and didn't feel nearly as fun as bringing a fully-fledged weapon as they are more supporting weapons than anything.
  • Controlling vehicles. I need to play around with the helicopter equivalents, but it's nice to feel like I am not riding the edge of dying due to a control/physics error every time I get behind the wheel of a vehicle (although I would love it if there was a motorcycle in the game that feels like the typical EDF motorcycle in that it is barely usable, but capable of getting the game to do all of its weird physics jank).
  • The new weapon attributes are cool - I like how explicit they are that certain weapons do certain things and that there are actual status effects beyond death (like being on fire and being shocked by an electrical weapon). Some long-reload weapons get a quick-reload option (which is a cool bonus), some weapons get bonuses for holding down the trigger for a long period of time (it is always cool to get bonuses for something you want to do), and some weapons can even change type (e.g., rocket launcher, shotgun) depending on how you charge it. I can see this becoming very bad very fast, though, if they indulge in this too much.
  • SWORDS. Swords never felt right in mainline EDF games (they were exclusive to the Fencer, they felt slow, and they were often too weak to compete with other weapons at the same level). They feel appropriately anime in Iron Rain.

The Not-so-good:
  • The Ranger analogue (the first class you play as) is just straight up bad compared to the mainline Ranger. You have a short range dodge that doesn't carry your momentum forward that you can only use a limited number of times in succession? Whereas playing Jet Lifter felt a bit liberating compared to the Wing Diver, playing as the nu-Ranger feels so much worse than the standard EDF Ranger (despite nu-Ranger wearing an exoskeleton).
  • Weapons feel... weird. They don't feel like they have the same punch or carry the same visceral impact that weapons in standard EDF games do. Landing a big shot with an explosive weapon in EDF is rewarding because of the big explosion and the other big explosions of blood, bug parts, and physics that result. Iron Rain weapons just have a big explosion and it's hard to tell just how many you actually killed because the secondary explosions just aren't there/aren't as big.
  • The fact that weapons are uniform no matter what exoskeleton/frame/class you use does kill some of the lovably weird uniqueness that classes in standard EDF games have. Because the Fencer is more or less a mech suit, you can give them weapons that are highly impractical like the big gently caress-off cannons that would be far-fetched for a man wearing a simple armored vest to wield.
  • All. The. Staggering. Practically any enemy hit is going to make you stagger, which has a lot of really bad effects. One, it disrupts that flow of carnage (which is something the mainline EDF games do really well). Two, it sets you up to getting chain-staggered/stunlocked (which can kill you really fast). Three, it interrupts anything you're doing, from using items to receiving the 'keep holding the trigger' effects that a lot of weapons have in this game. All in all, it just feels very anti-fun.
  • The overall tone and feel of the game doesn't have the same level of camp that really helps define EDF. It's definitely much better put together than a regular EDF game, but part of the charm of EDF is how all of the different unintended consequences of its systems somehow work together to create this lovable jankiness that's topped by a story that never takes itself seriously. Case in point - the random mooks that accompany you in missions. In a standard EDF game, maybe one of them has a personality with a unique voice, while the rest of them are just NPCs that will call out random lines and respond to those call outs randomly (with some of them taking cues from the player and singing the EDF song when prompted). In Iron Rain, they try to give a ton of them different voices and personalities, but because there are so many you wind up caring about precisely none of them.
  • Enemies that hard counter specific weapon damage types. In a game with limited loadouts, it is extremely bad design to punish specific weapon types without clearly signaling that these hard counters are going to be present. Say I love the laser/energy weapons - the first time I encounter silver ants, I have no idea that they're hard counters to these weapons. But then I try to shoot them and the NPCs are like 'oh yeah, these guys deflect energy weapons'. Now I'm screwed (I can't do enough damage to them) and I'm being punished for using weapons that I like. It's not very fun.

The Mixed:
  • Vehicle support: It's cool that everyone can take them along and they feel suitably powerful, but the sheer cost of deploying them (and the fact that you only get one) makes them feel like they are things you shouldn't use unless it's an emergency (and when it is an emergency, you'll probably be dead by the time the vehicle actually gets there).
  • The MIA drones. It's cool that these are here and there are unlocks associated with them, but locating them in the huge levels is a really dumb scavenger hunt (especially because some of them are located in tents where you can't actually see them - you only know if they're there if you get the prompt to pick them up).

Overall, I think the general consensus is spot on - Iron Rain is a decent game and it is an EDF game, albeit slightly different. I'm not sure what about it is inherently more appealing about it to Western audiences other than 'good game design in terms of increasing your HP pool/eliminating randomization in weapon acquisition and player customization', but there's a lot here that a potential EDF 6 could take and run with to make the best EDF game ever.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 3, 2019

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
https://gematsu.com/2019/07/earth-defense-force-5-coming-to-pc-on-july-11

IT'S HAPPENIN

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

EDF! EDF!! EDF!!!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's been a long wait, but my faith has been rewarded.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

This is good news :peanut:

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!

EDF! EEE DEE AFF!

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Holy poo poo I love how they just drop their games on PC with barely any announcement. Can't wait for this

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

What's that, you say? A perfect excuse to replay the entirety of EDF 5?

Don't mind if I do!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

There is a Steam page but no price or option to buy. How odd for it being... 3 days away.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Goddamnit that is right before I'm traveling for 2 weeks with a lovely laptop that can't play it.

I will have to wait until I get home.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

time to double dip on pc and go through all the grinding again :suicide:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I haven't read the thread but will be getting 5 on steam. Is it better than 4.1? Will there be a 5.1? How's the dlc for it?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Lol I was just about to get started on an EDF 4 LP. Not anymore!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Terminally Bored posted:

I haven't read the thread but will be getting 5 on steam. Is it better than 4.1? Will there be a 5.1? How's the dlc for it?
It's a huge improvement over the prequel. Not like it would be that surprising. Every class is upgraded in some way with custom options besides changing their weapons. I expected the release to be called 5.2.

DLC
If you want to physically see the DLC, I can only find it under the JP website.
https://www.d3p.co.jp/edf5/dlc/
Check the DLC section

• Pure Decoy Launcher 16 variations set – A special decoy which will dance and sing in the battlefield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv9dDHG_YfI

• Volcanic Cracker – You can get the Wing Diver weapon and start using it from the beginning and you may only receive this weapon by pre-ordering the game.

• Powered Exoskeleton Nix: Gold Coat – A commander machine shining with gold which boarding is admitted only by an early recruit.

The standard edition costs $59.99. The deluxe edition costs $89.99 and comes with the following extras:

• Deluxe Edition Bonus Content 1: EDF5 Theme

• Deluxe Edition Bonus Content 2: Decoy Launcher [Pale Wing]

• Deluxe Edition Bonus Content 3: Star Burst

• 12 variations of additional weapons and support items

• Additional mission 1: EXTRA Challenge ~Dozen super hard missions with weapon level 100 drops

• Additional mission 2: SUPER Challenge ~Dozen super hard missions with weapon level 100 drops

I always knew it would come out around the same time as Metal Wolf Chaos. The release date is now July.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 8, 2019

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Day one, if they remember to add Australian regional pricing. Is there a steam goon group?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/GoonDefenseForce

Release date confirmed to be July 31, according to SteamDB. https://steamdb.info/app/1007040/history/

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 8, 2019

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

PC Gamer is saying July 11th, so lets hope its soon rather then later.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Terminally Bored posted:

EDF 4.1 is an enhanced port of EDF 2025 from PS3 -> PS4, hence the .1. Odds are we won't get a 5.1 unless they really, really want a PS5 release.

Gyoru posted:

time to double dip on pc and go through all the grinding again :suicide:

I triple dipped for 2025, (PS3, PS4, PC) so boy am I glad I waited for this.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Official twitter account says this week.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

So I did finally beat Iron Rain on Normal and yeah I definitely have some new takeaways:
  • They somehow made aerial vehicles control worse than in EDF 4/5. I didn't think this was possible.
  • The cost of new weapons is OK for low E/D rank weapons, but the bullshit costs really ramp up once you hit C rank and above.
  • I do like that you have a limited number of respawns in MP games that are not reliant on a player coming to revive your butt. This is really great, as the last player standing is often getting mobbed and has a difficult time trying to make it to players' bodies to resurrect them. On top of that, they really did a good job encouraging players to resurrect each other by having player rezzes not deduct from the number of 'free' respawns and making the resurrection items really cheap to buy/use/insert into your item loadout. Plus, it will no longer cost you your own health to resurrect players.
  • I love the Heavy Striker's shield ability. It can block a surprising number of things (including some physical ram attacks) and the duration the shield lasts isn't affected by anything like number of hits blocked/damage prevented - just time.
  • Stunlocking is a real thing enemies do to you at higher difficulty levels, and it's a dumb way to make things more difficult especially because basic ants can make you ragdoll/stunlock you - in other words, pretty much everything in the game can toss your around like a ragdoll, which is just bad design. Overdrive is your best way of breaking out of a stunlocking situation, but you typically can only do it once per mission so you better kill everything that can stunlock you and hope the mission doesn't throw another wave of enemies that can do it once you're done.
  • If you beat the game on Normal, you're actually very well-tuned to go through from the beginning at the Hardest difficulty level, so do that instead of rolling through on Hard because you'll unlock everything for both Hardest and Hard at the same time.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

GrandmaParty posted:

Official twitter account says this week.
Hell of a time to update after nothing in months.