Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I got sick of my dad complaining about buying ink for his inkjet and bought him a color laser printer by Brother. I don't think he ever hooked it up though.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3880880&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

FWIW this guy sells ink cheaply. I've only bought ink from him for the past few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Customer came in around 2:30pm to buy a window regulator for her 2014 grand caravan. She had 0 tools, little mechanical expertise, a youtube video and a bunch of motivation. At 3:30, she had the door card off. At 4:30 when I left, she had the inner door card halfway off and was fighting with electrical connecters. I came back up at 5:30 to see if she wanted a hand, and together we had it mostly back together by 7:30. It was a fucker of a job that involved alot of 2 person work to make it doable with the limited tools we had. But hey, there's my good deed for the month. :toot:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

ilkhan posted:

Welp. Got hitched. Was a good time.

:toot: good job.

My wife has asked me for a color printer a few times. I’ve shut her down every time. If we evaluate our color printer needs it’s near zero. There is a FedEx office by my work and it’s 7 cents or something per page and I can pick different weight paper etc. I can print off a poop load of pages there for the price of one printer. Nearly a lifetime of color printer needs.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
gently caress print.

One time I threw my printer in the street and then ran over it. Right in my top 10 most cathartic moments in life.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm in the same boat of needing to replace a printer but we really do use colour, I'm thinking a dedicated 4*6 photo printer would cover 99% of our use though, the rest can be b&w text and photocopies I guess.

Got a huge amount of house DIY done Saturday with my dad, best/longest quality time we've spent together in years too. He asked me to find more work that needs a second pair of hands :3:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

trouser chili posted:

gently caress print.

One time I threw my printer in the street and then ran over it. Right in my top 10 most cathartic moments in life.

Was this before or after you lugged it to a girls house?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Elmnt80 posted:

Customer came in around 2:30pm to buy a window regulator for her 2014 grand caravan. She had 0 tools, little mechanical expertise, a youtube video and a bunch of motivation. At 3:30, she had the door card off. At 4:30 when I left, she had the inner door card halfway off and was fighting with electrical connecters. I came back up at 5:30 to see if she wanted a hand, and together we had it mostly back together by 7:30. It was a fucker of a job that involved alot of 2 person work to make it doable with the limited tools we had. But hey, there's my good deed for the month. :toot:
Window regulators on pretty much everything seem to be like heater cores. Nominally simple job that dicks you on access.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Somewhat Heroic posted:

My wife has asked me for a color printer a few times. I’ve shut her down every time. If we evaluate our color printer needs it’s near zero. There is a FedEx office by my work and it’s 7 cents or something per page and I can pick different weight paper etc. I can print off a poop load of pages there for the price of one printer. Nearly a lifetime of color printer needs.

Same boat here. Wifey insists on printer being critical equipment for any household. We both have office jobs with access to A3 color laser scanner duplex you name it printers. I tell her that with a little bit of foresight and a yearly oh gently caress trip to either office, we can have our printing needs met, but alas...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

InitialDave posted:

Window regulators on pretty much everything seem to be like heater cores. Nominally simple job that dicks you on access.

Crank window superiority. Except when you need to realign it and discover that the PO drilled through the crank peg and jammed a nail through to keep the crank in place.

Edit: My wife and my sister and her fiance want to buy a boat. Blech. I want cars.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jul 8, 2019

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Buy an amphicar

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Can those do sick burnouts?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I have a printer at work and if I'm really in a bind, I'll just go to the library and pay 10 cents.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Can those do sick burnouts?

You can get seasick trying, does that count?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

For over 15 years I've heard printer excuses from students. For over 15 years I've told them that printers are dangerous and unreliable and you should never count on them to work when you need them. Lately I've been advising that they should always have a spare laser printer brand new in a box ready to pull out if need be. There's usually pushback on that with them saying they can't afford it. I quickly call bullshit on that and point out that you can often find name-brand laser printers on sale for $25 or $30, and there's really no excuse to NOT have a spare.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

For over 15 years I've heard printer excuses from students. For over 15 years I've told them that printers are dangerous and unreliable and you should never count on them to work when you need them. Lately I've been advising that they should always have a spare laser printer brand new in a box ready to pull out if need be. There's usually pushback on that with them saying they can't afford it. I quickly call bullshit on that and point out that you can often find name-brand laser printers on sale for $25 or $30, and there's really no excuse to NOT have a spare.

I bought a Walmart specific Epson a few years ago and put it in the closet and it was a life saver when my wife was doing a presentation that ended up netting her a promotion at work. I should really go pick up another one just in case.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

rdb posted:

Yeah, the E series is kinda crap and I don’t like the loader system but the parts availability is second to none and the dealer service is great. Case/New holland, kubota and deere are on my list. At this point I want a cab, big loader, buddy seat, 2-3 remotes and enough power to pull the SWCD rental seeder, litter spreaders, the co-op lime spreader, a 15-20 ft batwing, disk and maybe some hay baling equipment. Its really hard to find hay this year because of the flooding. Also the guy we were buying it from died last fall.

My entire property is sloped and when I have to unload double stacked round bales off a trailer the mahindra almost always gets tippy.

Really jealous of that grapple. I have 4 large brush piles, 2 of them too close to the barn to burn. Its a lot of red cedar so they wont rot away for decades either.

I got ruined by the tractors at work in the old gig. I had two at my disposal- a Kubota L4600 front end loader/back hoe. Bloody powerful machine for its size- It will lift 700kg (its not rated for it but it will do it!) and then the big one thats spoilt me for life. New Holland T6010 Delta with a big Quike front end loader with a 4 in 1 bucket.

105hp, Proper hydraulics, proper sized machine, great cab (used to spend 8-10hrs a day, 5 days a week in it when I was slashing) and the front end loader is good for 1.8T lift.

Now im stuck with a 1950's Massey ferguson and a 1970's massey FEL at home and a shittly little L3600 at work thats just a tad too small. I miss my big tractor.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I'm currently part of building up a division of a company in a new city. My boss bought a $150 HP laserjet scanner thingie. So far that has cost its own price in consumables three times over and, honest truth, at least ten times its cost in wasted time. (PhDs ain't cheap. Or good at printers.)

gently caress printers.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rhyno posted:

Edit: My wife and my sister and her fiance want to buy a boat. Blech. I want cars.

...if it flies, floats or fucks...

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
We bought a colour printer that doesn't use ink cartridges and you fill it up from a bottle instead, it's supposed to be a lot cheaper on ink cuz the mrs does a lot of printing with her greeting card making and anyway it's kind of a piece of poo poo!!!!! Thanks for listening

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

...if it flies, floats or fucks...
If it does all of those, it's probably Zeus and involves a Spartan queen.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Printers are demonic entities that smell deadlines approaching and fail as soon as you actually need to use them
Don't even get me started on fax machines

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Every time someone mentions the idea of buying a boat, the first thing that comes out of my mouth is "gently caress boats." and they get all pissy, and then I tell the story of how like the last 3 or 4 times I've been on a boat in my adult life, they've died and stranded us in the middle of a lake.

Anyway, dad brought home a beater SV650 from a friend of a friend that didn't want it anymore and told me I can pretty much do whatever I want with it. It just so happens that we race SV650's (well, not so much anymore, but whatever) so I went over and picked through the garage for spare parts and got it running. Whoever had it last treated it pretty poorly though, apparently they wanted to turn it into a stunter, so the front/dash/light harness is all snipped up so that will need re-doing. Just happy I got it to fire off though to start with.

Then I went home and bottled my Hefeweizen and used 4th of July leftover corn and taters and pulled a "cajun" sheet pan bake out of my rear end.

Also Spider-Man: Far From Home is good as hell.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

T-Square posted:

Every time someone mentions the idea of buying a boat, the first thing that comes out of my mouth is "gently caress boats." and they get all pissy, and then I tell the story of how like the last 3 or 4 times I've been on a boat in my adult life, they've died and stranded us in the middle of a lake.

We go on a booze cruise once a year and it's exactly the amount of time I want to spend on a boat. Plus, if we didn't have a place to store it at whatever lake year round, it would fall on us to store it here because we're the ones with a huge driveway and yard. So gently caress that. Some of our friends recently bought a small lake property (it's a trailer but nice) and I guess the idea has spread around like a fever because everybody wants boats now.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Was this before or after you lugged it to a girls house?

I got this and laughed. I don't remember where I read the story but it was pretty loving pathetic.

Also I don't get all the printer issues, in the last 10 years I've had two printers, both cheap Canon models and never had any issues.

*knocks on wood*

[e] and gently caress boats unless you live on the water

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

meatpimp posted:

I learned this when I was an undergrad; my two bits of advice to people going to university are "only drink/smoke weed on the weekends" and "FFS, get a laser printer, Inkjets are garbage"

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

T-Square posted:

Also Spider-Man: Far From Home is good as hell.

:hmmyes: saw it on Saturday. Laughed and enjoyed it a lot. Awkward teen Spider-Man has been very good and I even enjoyed the last Spider-Man reboots too. Spoilers for context I enjoyed their somewhat hand-waviness about the "Blip" where they give just enough information to address End Game and what people did and how some aged and some didn't and how they all came back and ramifications. They give enough information but don't spend too much time on it and let you kind of fill in the blanks yourself. I also about DIED when JK Simmons showed up to reprise his role as J Jonah Jameson. There is no casting that would ever eclipse his work as that character

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So some side effects from throwing groceries all night:

I'm down almost 10 pounds; and according to the Higi machine at the store (you know, those fancier public kiosks that do blood pressure, weight, body fat, hydration, etc?), my muscle mass has gone up very slightly, my fat mass has gone down quite a bit, and it always says I'm borderline dehydrated (I drink between 1-2 gallons of water per shift, but sweat most of it out). What's concerning is my blood pressure has gone into the toilet - I can't get my systolic to break 100 easily, and I feel lethargic as gently caress. Everything just feels heavy, including lifting my arm, and I get lightheaded if I go from, say, stocking a lower shelf to standing up. BP has generally been around 90/55 when I check it at work lately, and the Omron I have at home shows similar numbers unless I drink (it shows 110/63 right now, which is a healthy BP, but that's after a few drinks - alcohol always brings my BP up a bit).

I've been on two BP medications for several years... the highest dose of one (an ACE inhibitor) and a lowish (but not lowest) dose of another (beta blocker). I'm gonna try cutting the beta blocker in half to take half the dose (it's not extended release, you can stop freaking out) and see what happens, but I definitely need to talk to my doctor as well. I'm also running into low blood sugar issues if I stick to my regular Wilford Brimley meds - I've been able to get around it by eliminating one med for my first meal of the day (and when I check my sugar when we take our lunch break, it's still borderline low - generally in the 60s - and that's usually with a sugar free Red Bull thrown into the mix - but not in the 30s or 40s like it was if I took both meds before work).

tl;dr turns out exercising throws blood pressure and diabetes meds out of whack, who'd think a fairly intense workout 3-5 days a week would do that? :shrug: (about an hour of cardio, the rest is weight lifting... like when I had to throw cat litter and dog food the other day, including to/from the risers, using one of those portable stair things) Need to hit up my doctor and see what he recommends. Now I see why most of my overnight coworkers are either rail-thin or built like the Hulk; the only ones overweight are the ones who either eat nothing but burgers and/or try to stick to the cereal, coffee, chips, etc aisles. I throw water, frozen, pet, and laundry pretty regularly.

ExplodingSims posted:

So I know printer-chat has come up a few times through these threads, but I need a recommendation for a newer one.

My HP Photosmart 6520 decided to stop printing today. Looked it up and apparently it's due to the print head getting clogged up de to leaking ink. Tried a few solutions and nothing worked, no matter what, it won't print anymore. I've had issues with it going through cartridges really quickly in the past before, so I think i'm just gonna trash it.

Nthing Brother lasers. If you need a MFP, the monochrome ones still scan color just fine. If you really do need color, you can get a color Brother laser, but... it'll obviously cost quite a bit more than a color inkjet (their cheapest color laser/LED printer has an MSRP of $200, and it's strictly a printer).

The care and feeding is practically nothing, and you don't have to worry about them leaking over time.

This is what I have - I nabbed it for $99.99 on sale last year, you can still frequently catch it on sale if you watch Slickdeals (mine came from Office Depot, where you least expect a good deal).

mariooncrack posted:

I got sick of my dad complaining about buying ink for his inkjet and bought him a color laser printer by Brother. I don't think he ever hooked it up though.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3880880&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

FWIW this guy sells ink cheaply. I've only bought ink from him for the past few years.

Also, this. I used to live 15 minutes away, so I'd just email him to see if he had what I needed in stock, then swing by. It's a father and son business (Xarthor being the son), they're both super nice and helpful. He's dropped into AI a handful of times too.

I need to drop him a line and see what he can do for me on toner, actually. My printer thinks the starter cartridge is almost empty, though being a Brother, I'm sure there's some way to keep it going until it's actually empty.

InitialDave posted:

Wasn't difficult at all on a 2nd gen Toyota Avalon... once you unbolt the window from it. But that's a full size land yacht. I think it took me about an hour total, but I had a helper (mother, since it's her car) holding a few things here and there. Like the window itself. :v:

Pisser: the motor on the new one is noisy as hell and pretty tired, but it works (the original one was brand-new silent until the cable got jammed up). The old one had the cables get tangled up on the spool, but had a good motor. Had, until I tried to figure out how to swap it over. :doh: $35 on eBay vs $100 for a Dorman (which was out of stock everywhere I checked at the time; looks like they finally made another batch), or >$400 (IIRC) for the OEM.

meatpimp posted:

Not to mention every university library in the US has printers available, usually for either free or a few pennies per page. One of the libraries at UNT was 24/7 during regular semesters, including their computer lab (summer closed at midnight I think). Didn't cost me anything to print when my printer decided to go into "no, gently caress your final, you didn't feed me toner when I demanded it! :mad:" mode. My only gripe is the 24/7 lab was all Mac at the time (others had a mix, but it was 1am, it was the only lab open on the entire campus), so I had to figure out OSX on the fly.

You could also check out Dell laptops from the front desk of the same library, and they were setup to print to several printers around the library, but that was a lot more hassle than just walking into the lab, swiping my ID, and throwing my flash drive at one of those pieces of silver fruit.

If they're on financial aid, most universities (maybe even community colleges) will let them apply for a computer extension on their aid - either via their Pell grant or any scholarships, loans, etc. It's enough to buy a decent daily driver (definitely not gaming) laptop and printer, and UNT approved my request (and dispersed it) within a week. It's a once in a lifetime thing, but it's worth mentioning to your students if your school allows it.

Barely related: Fry's had a refurbished w/90 day warranty and Windows 10 T420 Thinkpad with 8GB RAM and a Sandy Bridge i5 for $177 yesterday. Kicking myself for not jumping on that sooner, but by the time I found out the local store was sold out. I'm still running a Sandy Bridge desktop, and it's only now starting to show its age.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 8, 2019

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Yeah, that got an obnoxious laugh out of me at the end, but apparently no one else in the theater seemed to notice :shrug:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Re: printer chat, if you print a lot of color photos get a high-end inkjet (something that uses tanks instead of disposable cartridges that are ink tanks and print heads in one package.)

Professional photofinishing has all but moved over to inkjet - there's a few portrait studios that still insist on wet-process developing but they're few and far between. The technology has come a very long way and back when I was still working for FujiFilm in 2012 it was really, really hard to spot the differences between a traditional silver-halide print and an inkjet print

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

My old Canon MP530 inkjet is still chugging along after about, oh, 12 years?

Every now and then gets pissy when I need to put a new tank in it (doesn't like sending the carriage over) but eventually it works.

I think when it does eventually die though, I'll be going laser.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Geoj posted:

Re: printer chat, if you print a lot of color photos get a high-end inkjet (something that uses tanks instead of disposable cartridges that are ink tanks and print heads in one package.)

Oh, you mean like Epson? So funny story. GF left her Epson printer in a garage for over a year. No climate control. It easily hits 130F+ in there. She left it with the ink cartridges installed.

I dropped more than the fucker is worth on new ink cartridges and several hours on trying to clean it out (only because (a) she insisted and (b) she paid for them - went OEM on them). I eventually got it to print black and yellow (yellow with a lot of streaks, black worked okay so long as you used the "high quality" mode). Never got magenta or cyan working outside of a few streaks. And black starts streaking again until you run a few "clean nozzle" cycles on it.

Had she not left the ink in it, and run it dry with a few color test prints before storing it, it'd be working fine today. But it's literally a doorstop now. Yeah, it has a decent scanner, but the scanner on my Brother MFC works just as well (and handles legal/A4 size poo poo on top of that). I think the scanner on her Epson is a higher DPI, but it's not like I'm scanning photos on it. And the wifi on it is only 802.11b/g; at least my Brother MFC does b/g/n. Anytime you try to print to it or scan from it without remembering to turn it on first (since it had an auto power off thing) had a 50/50 chance of needing to reinstall the drivers to get it goinjg again.

slidebite posted:

My old Canon MP530 inkjet is still chugging along after about, oh, 12 years?

I had an MX240 that I literally dragged out of a dumpster during dorm move-out week, in pouring rain, around... 2011? Let it dry out a few days, and it would print color fine, but not B&W. Found the seal still on the B&W cartridge. It worked mostly fine for the rest of the time I had it (it would streak a bit even with the one OEM cartridge I tried), but I didn't want to drag it to Austin with me - gave it to a friend with a few extra generic black cartridges.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

STR posted:

Oh, you mean like Epson? So funny story. GF left her Epson printer in a garage for over a year. No climate control. It easily hits 130F+ in there. She left it with the ink cartridges installed.

I dropped more than the fucker is worth on new ink cartridges and several hours on trying to clean it out (only because (a) she insisted and (b) she paid for them - went OEM on them). I eventually got it to print black and yellow (yellow with a lot of streaks, black worked okay so long as you used the "high quality" mode). Never got magenta or cyan working outside of a few streaks. And black starts streaking again until you run a few "clean nozzle" cycles on it.

Had she not left the ink in it, and run it dry with a few color test prints before storing it, it'd be working fine today. But it's literally a doorstop now. Yeah, it has a decent scanner, but the scanner on my Brother MFC works just as well (and handles legal/A4 size poo poo on top of that). I think the scanner on her Epson is a higher DPI, but it's not like I'm scanning photos on it. And the wifi on it is only 802.11b/g; at least my Brother MFC does b/g/n. Anytime you try to print to it or scan from it without remembering to turn it on first (since it had an auto power off thing) had a 50/50 chance of needing to reinstall the drivers to get it goinjg again.

Yeah, once ink dries inside the printhead its done. Well, there are ways around it but not on a consumer-grade printer.

The suggestion for using a printer with tanks and separate heads is the printheads will be of substantially higher quality vs. ones that are intended to be used for the life of the attached tank of ink and then thrown out. Laser :airquote: works for color prints but the method by which it works (melting toner over the page) makes it difficult at best to reproduce traditional photo finishes on the paper - any finish that isn't flat will experience toner adhesion problems.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 8, 2019

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

fridge corn posted:

printer ... it's kind of a piece of poo poo!!!!
Yeah, that tracks.

Nthing brother monochrome laser printers for most printing needs.

I wouldn't buy one but HP laser printers can be really solid if you stumble across one. I had to support a lot of them in my help desk days and they would live forever, even in the accounting department, with just some routine maintenance. I rescued little desktop HP from work that was destined for the dumpster and I got 6 years of use out of it (it was probably 10+ years old when I got it). I finally replaced it with a brother mfc about 6 months ago when it needed a new toner cartridge since the brother wasn't all the much more than a cartridge and I needed a scanner anyway.

Galler fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 8, 2019

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Having owned a Brother color laser, I went back to monochrome after the rollers on the color hardened up enough that it didn't print reliably. It's far better than a color inkjet but you're basically managing four laser printers shoved into one box, and if you care about color printing, a low end color laser is only barely going to tick that box. You're still going to come out way ahead having anyone print color for you on a far better machine.

I have the monochrome printer because you never know when you're going to need to print something and it's cheap enough for that purpose. I'm not sure I'll ever run out of the original toner in it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

InitialDave posted:

We couldn't fully remove the inner door card without pulling the door latch assembly and I wasn't down to do experimental surgery on a random person's car in a parking lot with a bare minimum of tools, no research and a pack of thunderstorms bearing down on us. But gently caress it, we got it in and working. Thats what matters.

Boat chat: Boats are cool and good. But this is much like cars, and they need to be used regularly. When they sit for half the year, they're miserable piles of poo poo that make you hate everything. Honestly if its a small lake and people just want to go cruise around on the water, a john boat with a transom mount trolling motor is ideal. Its cheap, relatively low maintenance and easy to store.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus Christ.

40 years old, probably in the best shape and health of my life and I think I just threw out my hip.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

If it makes you feel any better, I'm about to turn 41.... and get paid to work out. :haw:

I feel it every. loving. day. though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My job is very physical as well so this could be really bad if I'm actually hurt. Got ice on it, well see how I feel when I wake up.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Right, here's a challenge for you. Suspect Kastein might get this one.

My dad's sorting out the steering system on his Wolseley (1935 Hornet Special). The nut that holds the wheel on seems to be 7/8" and 20 TPI, which smells an awful lot like UNEF to me - however, trying to source a cheapish replacement nut is proving awkward.

I think the steering wheel nuts on some American trucks (as in tractor units) are this thread... but also, so are the pinion nuts on a number of Dana axles. I did try getting him a pinion nut for a Jeep, but what he got seems to be 14 TPI - suspect perhaps it's from a rear axle rather than a front axle or something like that?

So, anyway: Where am I likely to find a 7/8" 20 TPI nut (or half nut/jam nut, which may work better for him), in such a way as to be readily available in the UK cheap? So a "serviceable" component on a car sold here? I think the Jeep part number 4720895AB is a good place for him to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I brought this up last time printer talk happened, but my wife wanted a color laser printer for a few projects, sure, whatever. I vetoed the HP because of past support/driver issues. The Samsung was next day prime, the Brother was another day or so out, same price, so we got the Samsung.

It's a rebadged HP with Samsung software shoved on top of it. You go to HP.com FROM Samsung.com in order to get the right combination of drivers and software. It took over 30 minutes to set up due to all of the horseshit. Do. Not. Buy.