Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

It's super non-photogenic because the lighting in my house is bad for photography and this dish is already the color that the lighting makes everything look, but here is that southwestern scampi I finally made.

Verdict: taste was super good, will probably up the butter, oil and pasta water/shrimp broth to get it a tad bit saucier. Wouldn't tweak beyond a quarter cup of tequila because even after reducing by half it still had a slightly noticable alcohol taste. Overall, would recommend and am proud of myself for this one. Thanks to the thread for the advice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Guacamayo posted:

Where can I buy spices online? Is Penzeys a good place?
Penzey's is excellent and they give away a ton of free poo poo. Sign up for weird rambling emails and wait for a good bargain including things you want

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Anne Whateley posted:

Penzey's is excellent and they give away a ton of free poo poo. Sign up for weird rambling emails and wait for a good bargain including things you want

Yes, this. I spent $7 this weekend on two jars of spices and will be getting 4 jars free. Plus a poster, a pin, and stickers.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Penney’s is great, but also gonna plug https://www.penderys.com if you’re looking for some southwestern stuff like chilies.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Is there a dedicated slowcooker/crock pot thread? I have some dumb questions about which pot people would recommend and what they like making with it.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Ritznit posted:

Is there a dedicated slowcooker/crock pot thread? I have some dumb questions about which pot people would recommend and what they like making with it.

I don't think there is. There's a pressure cooker/instant pot thread but I don't see a crock/slow cooker one.

Feel free to ask away here.

Here's my quick take: Prioritize size. If you're trying to decide between a 7qt and a 5qt model, go with the 7. 10qt might be overkill, but I've never looked at my 7qt and said, "I wish this was smaller." If you're roasting whole chickens and such, 7qt is kind of the magic size where the whole bird easily fits into the crock.

Otherwise, be dubious of any features other than High Power, Low Power, and Timer. I've literally never used anything but those three buttons.

As for brand, Hamilton Beach, Cuisinart, Crock Pot. All work the same, and in general slow cookers are designed to be idiot proof. I've never really run across one that was "better" than another, but other people might have found more nuances than that.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Ritznit posted:

Just buy an instant pot

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Trying to save money as well as cook through what I have in my pantry/freezer. I have some cultured cream, crema mexicana to be specific although it's essentially the same as sour cream that's been in the freezer for a bit. I know that it is separated, as it does when frozen.

I was thinking of doing a sort of tuna noodle casserole with pasta, broccoli, peas and shallots and some smoked tuna I have... we walked past an Eastern European joint advertizing stroganoff yesterday so it's been on my mind. Can I make a cream of mushroom sort of sauce with a broken/separated sour cream or will it just be awful? I don't mind if it's not perfect, it's just for me at home, but I'd rather not waste the food and effort if it's a moot point. Would a pinch of citric or ascorbic help it bind? I have both.

Any thoughts or pointers?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

feedmegin posted:

They're the Goons with Spoons now actually :colbert:

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Trying to save money as well as cook through what I have in my pantry/freezer. I have some cultured cream, crema mexicana to be specific although it's essentially the same as sour cream that's been in the freezer for a bit. I know that it is separated, as it does when frozen.

I was thinking of doing a sort of tuna noodle casserole with pasta, broccoli, peas and shallots and some smoked tuna I have... we walked past an Eastern European joint advertizing stroganoff yesterday so it's been on my mind. Can I make a cream of mushroom sort of sauce with a broken/separated sour cream or will it just be awful? I don't mind if it's not perfect, it's just for me at home, but I'd rather not waste the food and effort if it's a moot point. Would a pinch of citric or ascorbic help it bind? I have both.

If it has separated into a thick part and a thin, watery part, you can pour off the watery part and taste the rest. My concern would be a gritty texture, though this probably wouldn’t be too obvious in a stroganoff-like context.

If the whole mixture has broken into chunks, there will be no bringing it back.

Could you use some of your acids to “sour” a bit of milk or cream? You can also use a small amount of cream cheese instead of sour cream if you have it to hand, but a smalllll amount.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Cultured cream doesn’t separate evenly like that, it’s more like a cottage cheese sort of texture but the nodules aren’t as firm as CC. It’s usually fine for baking but I wouldn’t make dip with it. The only other dairy I have on hand is some crumbled, herbed feta and a container of half n half.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Cultured cream doesn’t separate evenly like that, it’s more like a cottage cheese sort of texture but the nodules aren’t as firm as CC. It’s usually fine for baking but I wouldn’t make dip with it. The only other dairy I have on hand is some crumbled, herbed feta and a container of half n half.

Honestly I’d go with the half and half, and trust the noodles to soak up the thinner sauce whole the casserole bakes.

If it’s like cottage cheese, could you press or drain it and end up with something tart and crumbly that could be used in eggs or on a salad?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I noticed some honey brands have a logo that says true source certified. Does anyone know if this is logo means anything or is it just a placebo

I want to make sure my honey is real and has real bee poop

Hauki
May 11, 2010

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I've never frozen crema mexicana specifically, but generally you can treat split dairy somewhat like a broken sauce - if it were me, I'd probably start by pouring off any runny/separated liquid & whisking what's left to see if it'll re-emulsify easily - then slowly whisking in a small amount of flour or other starch as a ghetto-roux/slurry which usually works pretty well with higher-fat content dairy products and wouldn't be out of place in a sauce anyway

I don't think adding acid will be any benefit here, that normally has a tendency to cause non-solid dairy products to curdle or split

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

I noticed some honey brands have a logo that says true source certified. Does anyone know if this is logo means anything or is it just a placebo

True Source Certified is entirely opt-in by manufacturers and as far as I know the private company that administers the program has no auditing of participants or anything like that.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
When a recipe calls for mustard seeds, does it mean yellow or brown? Or does it just vary depending on what I'm making?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Steve Yun posted:

I work for a honey manufacturing company. We're in Whole Foods and many other bougie grocers. You've probably tried our products.

True Source is effectively nothing more than a marketing term.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

When a recipe calls for mustard seeds, does it mean yellow or brown? Or does it just vary depending on what I'm making?
Indian recipes mean brown mustard seeds. Other recipes typically mean yellow. But, it depends.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Is there a way to know if honey is genuine other than growing bees yourself

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Is there a way to know if honey is genuine other than growing bees yourself

You can test it if you have a lab

You can test specifically for corn syrup by dropping a spoonful of honey into warm water without stirring. If there's corn syrup in it, it will start dissolving quickly, otherwise it will stay together as a mass. This is super inaccurate but I guess it's better than nothing.

Or you can pay eurofins https://www.eurofins.com/food-and-feed-testing/industries/honey-authenticity/

This is why the strength of your QA department will make or break a company in the industry. Not just honey, but food distribution in general. We deal with some pretty big customers, and they have stringent requirements. If QA wasn't trustworthy, they would drop us like a hot potato.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Finding a beekeeper at the farmers market has worked for me. They aren't subject to a lot of regulation where I'm at but one thing they do get audited on is sales so it's probably more legit than not. Also I found a guy whose farm I drive by a lot and there are hives there so :shrug:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

effika posted:

Finding a beekeeper at the farmers market has worked for me. They aren't subject to a lot of regulation where I'm at but one thing they do get audited on is sales so it's probably more legit than not. Also I found a guy whose farm I drive by a lot and there are hives there so :shrug:

This is generally best practice. Look for crystallized or crystallizing honey, too - raw honey doesn't stay liquid, with extremely rare exceptions like tupelo. If it's heated high enough or filtered to prevent it crystallizing, it loses a lot of flavor. I don't really trust honey that isn't at least a little bit cloudy. Not because it's adulterated, but because it's not as tasty.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Anyone have a link to that chicken wing thread? Having a hard time finding it.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Indian recipes mean brown mustard seeds. Other recipes typically mean yellow. But, it depends.

Good to know. Thank you!

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Thanks for the answers, but now I gotta ask another dumb question: What is the difference between an instant pot and a slow cooker for the purpose of wanting to make meals easily? I'm looking to learn to cook bigger portions for cheap and with little fuss, and I thought the general wisdom for that was a slow cooker. I'm stupid and new to all of this, so I'd like clarification.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ritznit posted:

Thanks for the answers, but now I gotta ask another dumb question: What is the difference between an instant pot and a slow cooker for the purpose of wanting to make meals easily? I'm looking to learn to cook bigger portions for cheap and with little fuss, and I thought the general wisdom for that was a slow cooker. I'm stupid and new to all of this, so I'd like clarification.

Instant pot can be used as a slow cooker. But also as a pressure cooker. So it's more versatile.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The extremely tl;dr is that an instant pot (electric pressure cooker) does what a slow cooker does, but faster

Sometimes that's more convenient, and sometimes it's less due to your schedule, prep time, etc.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
So slow cooker+, basically? Sounds great. What brands/models do people like for those? Specifics help me because I gotta translate all the terminology into my local language anyway.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Amazon has a big sale on the 8qt instant pot as we speak

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Programmable-Pressure-Steamer/dp/B01B1VC13K

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Ritznit posted:

So slow cooker+, basically? Sounds great. What brands/models do people like for those? Specifics help me because I gotta translate all the terminology into my local language anyway.

instant pot is the standard brand, most recipes and guides assume an instant pot. beans and large roasts that would take hours instead take about 40 minutes, and the results are often superior

instant pot is a huge craze so googling “instant pot + whatever” will turn up a lot of resources

it can come across as a gimmick but it is legit my favorite thing in my kitchen and ive been using it for a couple years. it completely changed my indian food and curry game

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
If you're going to get an electric pressure cooker, spend the few extra bucks and get the Chard/Carrey (it's been sold under both brand names) electric pressure canner. It'll let you take the leftovers you cook and safely can them, which is pretty rockin'.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

How does one use fenugreek? I got some ground fenugreek at my local Middle eastern/Persian market because I thought it might be the secret to some of their very tasty spice mixes (and it smells like it might be) but then it tastes terrible. Does it just sort of act in the background and make other things taste better? I added some to my ground beef tacos mix tonight and it doesn't seem to have ruined them or anything, and maybe it made them better?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

How does one use fenugreek? I got some ground fenugreek at my local Middle eastern/Persian market because I thought it might be the secret to some of their very tasty spice mixes (and it smells like it might be) but then it tastes terrible. Does it just sort of act in the background and make other things taste better? I added some to my ground beef tacos mix tonight and it doesn't seem to have ruined them or anything, and maybe it made them better?
It's a spice. You put it in things. You can either grind it, or toast it and grind it, or leave it whole.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I am broadly familiar with the concept of spices. Most of them taste good on their own-to my (possibly broken) tastebuds, this stuff mostly just tastes bitter, and I’m not sure where or with what I would use it. Is there anything in particular it pairs well with?

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I am broadly familiar with the concept of spices. Most of them taste good on their own-to my (possibly broken) tastebuds, this stuff mostly just tastes bitter, and I’m not sure where or with what I would use it. Is there anything in particular it pairs well with?

It’s usually in a recipe as a small part of a blend of many spices, comes up a lot in various kinds of Indian food. Dino could tell you more- if you don’t have his cookbook, you should buy it posthaste!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
It’s generally a supporting player. It adds an aromatic, mapley background sweetness that complements other more savory, potent spices. I wouldn’t ever showcase it in a dish, but dishes it belongs in would seem lacking without it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Sweet Custom Van posted:

It’s usually in a recipe as a small part of a blend of many spices, comes up a lot in various kinds of Indian food. Dino could tell you more- if you don’t have his cookbook, you should buy it posthaste!

Dino has a book? What's it called?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Doom Rooster posted:

It’s generally a supporting player. It adds an aromatic, mapley background sweetness that complements other more savory, potent spices. I wouldn’t ever showcase it in a dish, but dishes it belongs in would seem lacking without it.

P. much this. It's one of the few not-maple things that can impart a maple aroma if used correctly. It's part of what makes a proper vindaloo taste like a vindaloo instead of just "really spicy curry." And if it's really bitter, then it sounds like it night be over-toasted. It's sensitive to that - it needs a very light toast to make the aromatics pop, but it's easy to over-do it and it gets really bitter like garlic will if it's over toasted.

A local creamery was making a sheepsmilk cheese with fenugreek in it for a while, and it was lovely.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Annath posted:

Dino has a book? What's it called?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0977080420/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_ZivjDbTSXD2P4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It goes in a lot of Ethiopian food, Indian food, and Sri Lankan food. It's a key ingredient in sambhar. It goes well with cauliflower, lentils, potatoes, tomatoes, spinach, eggplant, walnuts, carrots, cilantro, broccoli, cabbage, peas, and lots of other stuff besides. It goes in some Indian pickles. I also often make fenugreek tea to drink with breakfast.