Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Now I wanna hear 47 do a hostage negotiation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I want an alternate Bank "mode" where it's late after hours. The lower levels are all dark with security guards doing slow, deliberate sweeps with flashlights, as you might expect... but the top levels are fully lit in more ways than one, occupied by the stockbrokers having a raucous party with mountains of cocaine after having made an unholy amount of money through questionable means.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Chief Savage Man posted:

Now I wanna hear 47 do a hostage negotiation.

"Please exchange me for your hostages, I'm harmless. Pat me down, I have nothing to hide. Yes I always carry 14 sodas with me, why?"

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

"Please exchange me for your hostages, I'm harmless. Pat me down, I have nothing to hide. Yes I always carry 14 sodas with me, why?"

Also: "Hello, I'm negotiator Hans Dëath, I'm certain we can arrive at a compromise that will allow everyone to leave... Peacefully."

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

*hostage taker reaches for water bottle that 47 was clearly fiddling with ten seconds ago*

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

SelenicMartian posted:

Have the building under siege part controlled by the police and part occupied by the robbers in a standoff. Naturally, what's a good disguise in one half gets you shot in the other.

They kinda did this in Contracts with the remake of Plutonium Runs Loose and I'm surprised they didn't revisit this idea for the Bank.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
The basil carnaby target can be eliminated with suit only silent assassin using the electrocution phone in a minute or two.

walk up to him at the start and volunteer to be part of his trick. once you accept, he will allow you to walk into the apartments. if you go up one flight of stairs before him and place the phone down in his path you can leave the mission area and detonate the shock phone on your way out.

Are there no story missions or opportunities for the two new targets in Mumbai and Santa Fortuna?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

No, they're basically ETs but permanent. At most you can use the Shaman outfit to get the hunter alone.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I think IO must be struggling because whenever new content comes out there are at most a few thousand players on the leaderboard on PS4. It's such a shame because I really like the game and would love it if more unique content was created for it. There's so much potential with the engine as well, if players had more control when creating missions the sky is the limit and I'm sure if the game was really successful that would be worked on.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

The basil carnaby target can be eliminated with suit only silent assassin using the electrocution phone in a minute or two.

Minutes? On Professional I pulled it off in seconds with the phone. Dropped it right at the front door and nudged him so he'd be facing it first, then immediately bolted to the exit while calling him.

Doesn't work on Master since he sends a guard instead, but still funny how easy that was. Doing the map legit isn't much harder.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Brofessor Slayton posted:

Doesn't work on Master
Yeah it does :v:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

One thing that's starting to annoy me about the hitman design is that mission stories are still -for the most part- a case of "flip the switch" and trigger a script that presents a kill opportunity. Basically you rarely have to do more than acquire a specific disguise, interact with _item_ and watch. For example, the maelstrom is a case of "shoot the flag" and poison the (correct) glass. I'd prefer if there were a few more mission opportunities that required rube goldberg setups with a couple more steps. As is it's still too much a case of "do the one thing, then watch the scripted dialogue scene".

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Targets with attentive bodyguards (the kind that call a second guard to pick up strange items) will ask their guard to deal with the phone if you place it in their view, but if they just see it without knowing where it came from they will pick it up themselves. Place the phone slightly to the left of the chawl entrance and Carnaby will pick it up every time for a sub-minute SA.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
The mission stories are designed to introduce you to the level. They're there just to help you learn the major arteries, not all the fun little sidestreets you can find yourself in. They're also pointers to the incidental stories that happen in the level.

My philosophy is follow them, get them done, then really crack into the level and start breaking things.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Flayer posted:

I think IO must be struggling because whenever new content comes out there are at most a few thousand players on the leaderboard on PS4. It's such a shame because I really like the game and would love it if more unique content was created for it. There's so much potential with the engine as well, if players had more control when creating missions the sky is the limit and I'm sure if the game was really successful that would be worked on.

I really don't get it either since the game is good and I feel like it gets a decent amount of press/gets featured often by streamers and youtubers.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

There are probably a non-zero amount of people who didn't buy 2 because it looked too similar to 2016.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

UnknownMercenary posted:

There are probably a non-zero amount of people who didn't buy 2 because it looked too similar to 2016.

Also I know at least two people who didn't buy it on release because they assumed it was episodic like the last one.

It's a shame that the episodic release is truly the best way for the game to be deployed but all the buzz online at the time was how it was "not the full game on release"

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Also I know at least two people who didn't buy it on release because they assumed it was episodic like the last one.

It's a shame that the episodic release is truly the best way for the game to be deployed but all the buzz online at the time was how it was "not the full game on release"

Too many people have been burned so many times by unfinished games, just sucks that Hitman was the first time anyone actually decided to avoid a game because of that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Stop making me depressed about my favorite game :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I try the Entertainer, shoot Giggles as a lovely clown, no one sees me or alerts to me, I try to leave, I'm gunned down on sight as they instantly turn to and scope me, a guy they don't care about. Okay. :shrug:

I made up for it by shooting Carnaby in broad daylight with a sniper rifle then just leaving :haw:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 9, 2019

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Stop making me depressed about my favorite game :(

Lol just saw another lovely PS4 trophy stat...

Only 12% of PS4 owners completed Colombia at all. It's "very rare" to complete level 2 apparently.

:negative:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Only 12% of PS4 owners completed Colombia at all. It's "very rare" to complete level 2 apparently.

Generally only 40-60% of players get the "you turned the game on for at least five minutes" cheevo for any given game

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Besides those numbers normally being oddly low on every game, it's even weirder looking for this game because you can "own" it without owning that level. I have it on PS4 with just the Hitman 1 levels, as I normally play on PC.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

most people don't give a poo poo about the social stealth puzzle game and would rather gun their way through all the targets

i don't like that absolution was a more popular game with the mainstream, but it was

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

where the red fern gropes posted:

most people don't give a poo poo about the social stealth puzzle game and would rather gun their way through all the targets

i don't like that absolution was a more popular game with the mainstream, but it was

Yeah, this is important. Stealth puzzlebox people like us are huge weirdos, and most people want action and instant gratification from video games. A lot of other games in the genre don't complain a lot when you decide to slaughter your way through the level (Dishonored, Metal Gear), and that appeals more to the mainstream.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
the weird part is: going loud is actually possible, challenging and fun

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I still haven't had that perfect John Wick run. I've ran and gan a lot, but it usually just devolves into bodies piling up at choke points. Still fun though, and waking around in a disguise planning the perfect loud raid, mapping guard routes and dropping off weapons where I need them is really cool even if it never works out in the end.

Aug 24, 2011

Nakar posted:

By the way, I need your help to construct my most elaborate puzzle yet. I want to know all the ways you can think of to require a player to violate Silent Assassin, and ways that you could potentially get around that. For example: Require a disguise that can only be acquired from a non-target with No Pacifications. There are two ways to do this, either killing the NPC and stealing the disguise, or simply giving up on the objective requirement and killing the target in a different disguise. In this example, the latter is plainly better, since failing a complication prevents Objectives Complete anyway, and also adds a Non-Target kill.

My objective is to create a contract that is impossible to SA because it requires breaking some rule, somewhere, but the puzzle is to figure out which combination of rule violations yields the fastest time and highest score. To do this, I need as many overlapping violation risks as possible, but also ways to potentially avoid them.

Nakar posted:

Good news, Discendo and Fern: I have discovered a way to potentially create a contract that requires the use of a worn unique disguise and can be done without violating No Pacifications. Now the bad news: I only know of two ways to set it up. One can't be done in a contract, and the other necessitates knocking out an unrelated NPC.

PC

1-04-0325165-95

two things stop this from being a good contract:

1. it's bad
2. there's nothing to stop people from ignoring the disguise requirement

i don't think this was quite what you were looking for, since you can do this without violating SA and it's really not a fun contract anyway. curious what your unique disguise was and the ways you used to set up its acquisition

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I was looking at Xbox achievements the other day and I think only like 60% of players have incapacitated someone.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
How do you avoid violating SA? Is there an on-map Priest disguise in Landslide? I forget.

i don't think this was quite what you were looking for, since you can do this without violating SA and it's really not a fun contract anyway. curious what your unique disguise was and the ways you used to set up its acquisition
In Miami, Moses Lee and Sierra Knox are kept in a corner of the map but still exist, and are teleported to their garages after the race ends. For some reason, Moses is considered essentially unconscious despite standing in place, so his disguise can be taken. I'm not sure if he can be killed on the spot or not, but you can kill Moses Lee as Moses Lee without violating No Pacifications (if he can't be killed as an NPC you can just kill his car).

Problem is that there are only two ways I know of to get out of bounds in Miami:
  • Unmark all targets after using the dolphin exit in contract creation mode, which confuses the game and puts you back in the level out of bounds; or
  • Use the corner subdue teleportation thing to get out of bounds, which will KO or kill the person you subdue for this purpose.
The first method only works because you can unmark targets, so it's useless in an actual contract (and if you could get back in bounds to register an exit, would make the contract itself impossible to complete). The second forces a subdual or non-target kill and you can't really avoid it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Goa Tse-tung posted:

the weird part is: going loud is actually possible, challenging and fun

It's possible and challenging, but I'm not sure if I'd go as far as "fun".

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I spent ages persuading my friend to get this game, then he just did all the missions once and said he had completed it and moved on to the next thing. Sigh.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

deadly_pudding posted:

If they brought back body armour and healing items from Blood Money it could be.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

UnknownMercenary posted:

If they brought back body armour and healing items from Blood Money it could be.
That would make it way too easy. I think going loud on Master is a reasonably challenging affair, as you will die getting caught out but otherwise tend to be fine. Doing it on Professional is extremely easy.

The AI is dumb as bricks and you can fire from complete concealment (you shoot where the reticle is pointing, which allows you to straight up shoot around a corner without exposing 47 to damage). Your biggest enemy is carelessness and complacency. Master Colorado was probably the hardest of the original due to long sightlines, well armed enemies, and limited cover. I haven't done runs on the new maps because the game crashes, but I don't think there's a comparably difficult level:
  • Nightcall lets you hole up in the panic room or pick people off from the roof.
  • Miami is really spread out, so there aren't too many guards relative to its size. Might be tricky to spot guards in the crowds though.
  • Colombia could be reasonably hard; there are some well-armed guards and bad areas to engage them.
  • Mumbai is similar to Miami, the crowds might be distracting. It's also big enough you can't channel every guard into the same chokepoint like 80% of Colorado.
  • Whittleton Creek is trivial. Striker from Cassidy's attic depopulates almost every guard on the map and they cannot reach you. Be an Exterminator and poison the house and you can kill a lot of guards by doing absolutely nothing.
  • Sgail would be good as the guards are thick and well armed but as long as you work top to bottom you can control them quite easily.
  • New York is chokepoint city and has lots of cover. The lobby entrance alone lets you wipe out everyone on the first floor.

Aug 24, 2011

Nakar posted:

How do you avoid violating SA? Is there an on-map Priest disguise in Landslide? I forget.

abiatti killing the priest doesn't count as a non target kill

same if you use the radio to make the boyfriend kill himself

if Patient Zero is ever enabled for contracts, my contract will be on the guy who kills himself at the start, then mandatory exit on the gondola, no disguise changes. original contract do not steal

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

abiatti killing the priest doesn't count as a non target kill

His body ends up somewhere accessible?

Also I could swear NPCs killing themselves counted against you. I guess it's case by case, as that was causing the bugs in Patient Zero.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

deadly_pudding posted:

It can be surprisingly fun if you aren't frustrated or annoyed about it busting up your SA run. Just need to go into it with the right mindset.

It is pretty satisfying just mowing down rear end in a top hat cicadas, or turtleneck wearing guards in Hokkaido, and getting to use all the assorted lethal tidbits integrated into the map you don't get to enjoy 99% of the time.

It is kind of a bummer getting 0 points for any halfway bloody runthrough, though. I mean, not that points are a huge thing once you play a map more than a handful of times, but it's the psychology of the thing.

Aug 24, 2011

Nakar posted:

His body ends up somewhere accessible?

Also I could swear NPCs killing themselves counted against you. I guess it's case by case, as that was causing the bugs in Patient Zero.

on one occasion it fell onto the graveyard side with no further prompting from me, but on most occasions you have to snipe the body down from the church roof and it falls on the pier side. i use the sanguine shop to snipe. people on the pier will see you change disguise as well, which makes it hard

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

if Patient Zero is ever enabled for contracts, my contract will be on the guy who kills himself at the start, then mandatory exit on the gondola, no disguise changes. original contract do not steal

Wait, can someone explain where and how these things occur? Since I'm sure I haven't seen either of them.
The only suicide I've seen is in Hokkaido, after you use the experimental drug remote-control on one of the morticians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Major Isoor posted:

Wait, can someone explain where and how these things occur? Since I'm sure I haven't seen either of them.
The only suicide I've seen is in Hokkaido, after you use the experimental drug remote-control on one of the morticians.
After The Source, the NPC Jeff will appear on each consecutive Patient Zero map (The Author, The Vector, and Patient Zero). On The Author and The Vector, he will attempt to kill himself; in Sapienza he'll leap off the cliff near the mansion, and in Colorado he sneaks to an area near the starting point for Freedom Fighters and lights himself ablaze with a gas drum. If you prevent each of these suicides in turn, he will appear on Patient Zero wandering around the main garden. He has some items if knocked out.

There's ALSO a guy on Patient Zero who for some reason falls off a cliff and dies within seconds of starting the map. It doesn't count against you but for a while it was preventing people from SAing the map properly due to his death somehow resulting in a violation of Never Spotted. He still does it, so his death is apparently intentional for some reason.

WILD SPECULATION: Something about the game would break if every single NPC on the map were a target, so the guy auto-suicides in Patient Zero to register at least one dead non-target for the game's sanity, as his immediate death makes it impossible to infect him.