Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

DrNutt posted:

Nice, thanks.

Also, I used to see this in Destiny all the time but ran into it for the first time in FFXIV. I was at Camp Bluefog trying to do the quest for the Basilisk stew, and some high level rear end in a top hat was just running around murdering the basilisks as fast as possible to make it difficult for anyone trying to do the quest.

Great job, jerk.

Ha, okay yeah. Then at the next quest there were several people with jibberish names just hanging out and standing over Raubahn and wiping out all the magitek vanguards as quickly as they could to make it nearly impossible to complete that quest step. I'm glad there are just irredeemable assholes in every online game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

World War Mammories posted:

yeah, that's the idea, and there's no contradiction in it. guy's an accelerationist. he thinks frail reflections are incapable of beating the ascians. when the rejoining is complete he plans to merk them and take the completed world for mankind. he's with them on the rejoining, just not on who gets to rule the rejoined world.

And like all accelerationists, he's not nearly as smart as he thinks he is. His plan is stupid, and I cheered when Zenos shanked him.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DrNutt posted:

Ha, okay yeah. Then at the next quest there were several people with jibberish names just hanging out and standing over Raubahn and wiping out all the magitek vanguards as quickly as they could to make it nearly impossible to complete that quest step. I'm glad there are just irredeemable assholes in every online game.

Those are bots, RMT farming or something. If you ever see a bunch of janky, gibberish named black mages moving (or just teleporting) in a crowd, it's bots.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm right there with you, the most I do is change the color of my roeboy pompadour and that's about it. Fantasia-ing to a bun or catgirl or male catgirl just seems sacrilegious at this point. If someone put a gun to my head and made me do it, I would probably go from a giant roedude to the smallest lala I could make.

I thought the same but really all I needed was similar eyes and hair and now I'm like 3 times the size if you count the ears and extremely brown and it still feels like she's my WoL.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Those are bots, RMT farming or something. If you ever see a bunch of janky, gibberish named black mages moving (or just teleporting) in a crowd, it's bots.

Is there anything you can do about them? I clicked on them (it was difficult because of where they positioned themselves) but once I did I didn't see any way to report them via the game's UI. Really loving annoying when you're just trying to get to the next quest step.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Am I too late for the bandwagon:

I really love the MCH set

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

Weird question but at the end of the MSQ Does Emet refer to the Ascian who's soul became you as "she" if you're playing a man? I'm just curious if they change the gender based on your character or if its set in stone?

nope, males are still he.

what i was wondering after finishing msq (though i think someone has answered it since then) was if the voice during the bandwagon shot was a female voice for female characters

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I thought the same but really all I needed was similar eyes and hair and now I'm like 3 times the size if you count the ears and extremely brown and it still feels like she's my WoL.

:same:

didn’t think I would stick with rabbitgirl but after going through all of shb as one she is exactly my wol and I love it

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Cabbit posted:

And like all accelerationists, he's not nearly as smart as he thinks he is. His plan is stupid, and I cheered when Zenos shanked him.

fervently agreed

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DrNutt posted:

Is there anything you can do about them? I clicked on them (it was difficult because of where they positioned themselves) but once I did I didn't see any way to report them via the game's UI. Really loving annoying when you're just trying to get to the next quest step.

You can go to the help menu, open a support ticket, and put them in for suspected botting. You might get a response, might not. So no, there's not really anything you can do. They can routinely banned in waves and then end up popping up again.
They don't usually seem to hang around quest areas long, so once they get their grinding done, they'll probably move on to do whatever they do.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

nope, males are still he.

what i was wondering after finishing msq (though i think someone has answered it since then) was if the voice during the bandwagon shot was a female voice for female characters

nope, it's always arbert's voice coming from the wol

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

CYBEReris posted:

nope, it's always arbert's voice coming from the wol

every time i think of this scene it reminds me of when destiny 2 tried to have a cool "the silent protagonist finally speaks!" moment and it just fell so flat :rolleyes:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Finally got around to doing custom deliveries this week. I totally forgot about the huge EXP rewards! Being level-capped for over a year does weird things to you.

I also took some time to clean up my inventory and retainers. Extra materials going up on the market board, lots of old equipment getting shoved into the glamour dresser... So nice to have all those empty slots again. :feelsgood:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

just lmao if you didn't think speaking ardbert's words was the hypest poo poo

i love ardbert and he will live on forever in me

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'm a bit late but some of the bandwagon spoiler images everyone else has been posting:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Going back and watching the intro videos for the expansions - is it just me or does the cutscene protag / Warrior of Darkness / Aardbert look more and more like Norman Reedus every expansion?

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Bandwagon screenshot (end of MSQ):

I actually did the MSQ as SCH and then levelled AST right after. I went back to get the screenshot as AST since their set is more my style, but the SCH set is good too as long as you replace the skirt with some pants.

I started leveling DNC since Rhoga was interested in GNB. It's pretty fun but once we get to 70 I'll probably switch back to SAM for my first DPS. I modified my old caster glamour to use with DNC and their moves are excellent for gpose.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

Going back and watching the intro videos for the expansions - is it just me or does the cutscene protag / Warrior of Darkness / Aardbert look more and more like Norman Reedus every expansion?

The Death Stranding raid is gonna be weird.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I think I'm the only person in the world that didn't take a screenshot at that exact moment. I got all of mine before the 80 dungeon and at the end of the 80 trial tho.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Givin posted:

I think I'm the only person in the world that didn't take a screenshot at that exact moment. I got all of mine before the 80 dungeon and at the end of the 80 trial tho.

You can go back and watch the cutscene over again from you inn room IIRC.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

DeathSandwich posted:

You can go back and watch the cutscene over again from you inn room IIRC.

Yep, that's what I did! It's from The Unending Journey. I think it was the second cutscene of the last quest, if you want to get a bandwagon screenshot.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Kerrzhe posted:

every time i think of this scene it reminds me of when destiny 2 tried to have a cool "the silent protagonist finally speaks!" moment and it just fell so flat :rolleyes:

Destiny tries this so many times and it's always a wet fart because nothing about Destiny is structured to have any emotional investment on the part of the player and their avatar

D2's release marketing even made a joke that the only thing motivating us to play is that they blew up all of our guns

But it isn't a joke in the slightest

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

If its not too late to talk bit about it, i would love to have a geomancer healer thinking about it, it would be a new home for the old conjurer elemental spells and with its orgin you could have a eastern flavoured caster paper talismans and all that. I would totally dig having that as a healer.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Emalde posted:

Gaius is right :911:
See people say this, but he ain't. He's just a well written guy giving dad lines with a tone of authority. (It is cool how he's done something with himself rather than going on talk radio, of course.)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I was finding Giott from the healer quest chain to be kinda getting on my nerves but the moment she takes off her helmet to slam Lamitt with it caught me by surprise. Yes, I knew it was coming, but not that Giott was a she-dwarf despite the story already pointing out that Aldbert was similarly caught off guard with Lamitt Its such a small thing but its brilliant.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Kaubocks posted:

just lmao if you didn't think speaking ardbert's words was the hypest poo poo

i love ardbert and he will live on forever in me

i lost my fuckin MIND

at least, whatever was left of my mind that hadn't already been blown by that point.

msq spoils: i wonder how much, if at all, the WoL realizes exactly what is going down with the whole being-an-ascian thing. and on that note i REALLY can't wait for that lovely conversation with the rest of the scions.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Good lord that poor magitek armor that we keep abusing. :ohdear:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Kerrzhe posted:

i lost my fuckin MIND

at least, whatever was left of my mind that hadn't already been blown by that point.

msq spoils: i wonder how much, if at all, the WoL realizes exactly what is going down with the whole being-an-ascian thing. and on that note i REALLY can't wait for that lovely conversation with the rest of the scions.

I'm guessing we have no idea. The WoL knows Ardbert is part of them but likely did not come to the logical conclusion about what that means. The only extremely obvious part of the reveal we only saw from Emet-Selch's end.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Zoig posted:

If its not too late to talk bit about it, i would love to have a geomancer healer thinking about it, it would be a new home for the old conjurer elemental spells and with its orgin you could have a eastern flavoured caster paper talismans and all that. I would totally dig having that as a healer.

I think if we get a new healer for 6.0 it's probably a battle chemist. Crafting in game is already a process of aetherial manipulation, it could make sense in game in terms of a battle chemist vs crafting alchemy to be that the battle chemist uses raw aether to make potent yet unstable concoctions that break down almost immediately after its created.

I think it would be interesting if we seen geomancer as the logical opposite of a red mage - a primarily melee class (using hand axes or something similar) that has a casting dps phase in its main rotation.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

DeathSandwich posted:

I think it would be interesting if we seen geomancer as the logical opposite of a red mage - a primarily melee class (using hand axes or something similar) that has a casting dps phase in its main rotation.

The thing is that's basically Paladin

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i think of the design space left there's room for a mudra-like chemist archetype and a tether-based heal/hurt archetype (possibly some form of psionicist) among others

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its such a small thing but its brilliant.

Kerrzhe posted:

i lost my fuckin MIND

Extremely same, I just finished it a couple hours ago and it was so good, Giott owns.

Meanwhile the phys dps quest was just kinda dull and the NPC was super lame.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Kanfy posted:

And to contribute something else than just bandwagoning, I could never use a Fantasia at this point to be honest. I've played the same character from the start and changing my bald bastard into a bunny girl or whatever now would feel incredibly weird. It's a dumb thing but I'd probably lose nearly all attachment to the story at that point.

Yeah I feel the same way. The way my catboy looks is just how I see the WoL/D in my mind now and changing that at all would just feel off.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Blockhouse posted:

The thing is that's basically Paladin

Paladin as a DPS role with a different flair/focus

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I was finding Giott from the healer quest chain to be kinda getting on my nerves but the moment she takes off her helmet to slam Lamitt with it caught me by surprise. Yes, I knew it was coming, but not that Giott was a she-dwarf despite the story already pointing out that Aldbert was similarly caught off guard with Lamitt Its such a small thing but its brilliant.

It's funny because the WoL is obviously not surprised at all, presumably they could tell by her voice all along.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I really liked how we kept Ardbert a secret from everyone. You can make a passing mention of a ghost in your room to the Exarch, but he just quickly dismissed it. He was our own little ace in the hole

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:

DrNutt posted:

Also, I used to see this in Destiny all the time but ran into it for the first time in FFXIV. I was at Camp Bluefog trying to do the quest for the Basilisk stew, and some high level rear end in a top hat was just running around murdering the basilisks as fast as possible to make it difficult for anyone trying to do the quest.

Great job, jerk.

They were probably farming for Peiste Skins or, even more likely, Basilisk Eggs in order to level a crafter - the latter is used a lot in GSM crafting. I assume this is likely because I have done the exact same thing with those exact Basilisks in the past. Then I levelled up mining like a cool person because getting them that way is faster and better looking.

Post MSQ: The scene after The Twinning where you recover the communication from Biggs descendant is a really nice touch and it made me smile in a really bittersweet kind of way. I hope the hosed up future Eorzea remains something they expand upon at some point. Also, The Twinning was awesome and the other Post MSQ dungeon, with "Quetzacotl, Guardian Force" really hyped me up and I think it's awesome that dungeons can provoke that kind of reaction from me.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

iTrust posted:

They were probably farming for Peiste Skins or, even more likely, Basilisk Eggs in order to level a crafter - the latter is used a lot in GSM crafting. I assume this is likely because I have done the exact same thing with those exact Basilisks in the past. Then I levelled up mining like a cool person because getting them that way is faster and better looking.

Post MSQ: The scene after The Twinning where you recover the communication from Biggs descendant is a really nice touch and it made me smile in a really bittersweet kind of way. I hope the hosed up future Eorzea remains something they expand upon at some point. Also, The Twinning was awesome and the other Post MSQ dungeon, with "Quetzacotl, Guardian Force" really hyped me up and I think it's awesome that dungeons can provoke that kind of reaction from me.

hosed up future Eorzea could be a great expansion if they ever hit a point where we've stopped the Empire and the Ascians.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

New guy update: my BRD is still 55 because I haven't touched the MSQ since realizing that 2.0 ARR wasn't leading directly to HW (I just haven't been able to muster the energy to bother powering through 100 more quests yet, I guess I did maybe 5-10 of them). I decided to toy with healing and suddenly have a WHM almost at level 40. Duty finder really levels you fast, eh? I was doing sidequests that I had skipped that were level appropriate, but duty findering into dungeons seems much faster. I like healing, it's definitely different (mostly played DPS and some tank back in my FFXI days).

There's a lot of stuff that I don't know anything about:

1) Yesterday I spent all my company seals leveling up my rank in the company because the game said I was maxed out on seals and couldn't carry more. Was that a good idea? The available equipment I could buy with the seals seemed crappy and I didn't know what else I could do with them.
2) What are retainers and should I care about them at this point?
3) In general should I be doing anything right now as a new guy besides blasting through MSQs and making sure I do my class/job quests to make sure I unlock skills and stuff? I've also been doing my hunting logs.
4) I don't have a house and I guess that doesn't matter? In FFXI I had my room that I could decorate with stuff. I joined a FC (it has a house I think but I've never gone to it) but there's like 10 active people in it and they're all endgame so I'm not really talking to them much.

I just feel like I don't have much direction and I also think I am ignoring a ton of poo poo but maybe that's okay at low levels. I've not done much crafting (and find it really boring), I don't know what a glamour is and don't know if that matters, I only recently learned about having my chocobo fight with me and having it carry stuff. I wonder if there are other big mechanics I am missing.

I am on Zalera if there are any other new goons out there who wanna be buds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

this has already been pointed out itt but my favorite part is remember how ran'jit has a move called Unceremonious Beheading? when giott windmill dunks a helmet onto a sin eater, the move is called Unceremonious Behelming