Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The point is that buying a bus ticket shouldn't be a whole separate errand you have to go run before you ride the bus. Just let people pay upon entry like literally every other business ever, gently caress.

I just don't waste my time with trimet's buses at this point, so I'm not sure where they're at in phasing out all the non-poo poo payment options but it's been Coming Soon™ since at least last summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Maybe a sign at the bus stops warning "NO CASH", with a QR code for the app? Kinda like the stickers on the door of a business for VISA Mastercard etc.

I can still see this being an issue for someone in the "lost all my poo poo, panhandled bus fare to get home OH WAIT YER hosed"

I would like to see cash stay on, but not as primary payment. Incentivize with a discount for other methods? Cash fare $2, other (app/transitcard/etc) $1.85.

Are the cards linked to anything? Or if you lose your card with $98.73 on it are you just turbofucked on your shoestring budget? I know you can also lose cash but there's no reason a card shouldn't be linked to email or something.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 5, 2019

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Beach Bum posted:

Maybe a sign at the bus stops warning "NO CASH", with a QR code for the app? Kinda like the stickers on the door of a business for VISA Mastercard etc.

I can still see this being an issue for someone in the "lost all my poo poo, panhandled bus fare to get home OH WAIT YER hosed"

I would like to see cash stay on, but not as primary payment. Incentivize with a discount for other methods? Cash fare $2, other (app/transitcard/etc) $1.85.

Are the cards linked to anything? Or if you lose your card with $98.73 on it are you just turbofucked on your shoestring budget? I know you can also lose cash but there's no reason a card shouldn't be linked to email or something.

I can't speak to trimet, but most systems will let you register your card and keep your balance.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
In my experience, cards that have monthly passes are linked to your identity. The one I got in Madrid even had my photo on it! I got to negotiate the acquisition process in my broken-rear end Spanish, that was a good adventure.

Javid posted:

The point is that buying a bus ticket shouldn't be a whole separate errand you have to go run before you ride the bus.

The point is that buying gas shouldn't be a whole separate errand you have to run before you drive your car.

I mean, is any trivial amount of effort to do something ever acceptable to you? You can buy transit tickets at grocery stores, convenience stores, drug stores, stations with ticket machines, and occasionally outside special events where high transit use is expected. Is that really not enough?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Berlin has a neat setup where you buy a ticket that works for a period of time or a single ride, get it stamped with the time & location (if you have like a 72h ticket you only do this once), and just ride. Supposedly they have ticket inspectors and a €60 fine?

e: in Tokyo you can do all the stored value transit card stuff on a modern iPhone, including refilling it, and just tap on turnstiles to enter and exit stations, and that's cool and convenient

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Berlin has a neat setup where you buy a ticket that works for a period of time or a single ride, get it stamped with the time & location (if you have like a 72h ticket you only do this once), and just ride. Supposedly they have ticket inspectors and a €60 fine?

e: in Tokyo you can do all the stored value transit card stuff on a modern iPhone, including refilling it, and just tap on turnstiles to enter and exit stations, and that's cool and convenient

We have a system like this in Calgary too, you stick a paper ticket in a machine and it stamps the station and time. The problem is it's really loving easy to ride without a ticket, because enforcement is minimal. I don't have a problem with free transit, but I do have a problem with people who can afford it riding a fare-required system for free, especially when poor folks are more likely to be targeted for enforcement.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
You CAN link a trimet card to an account if you have a smartphone and the app and google/apple pay and etc, so actually poor people still get (definitely unintentionally, lol) hosed there

PT6A posted:

I mean, is any trivial amount of effort to do something ever acceptable to you? You can buy transit tickets at grocery stores, convenience stores, drug stores, stations with ticket machines, and occasionally outside special events where high transit use is expected. Is that really not enough?

They're actively tearing out the existing, fully functional infrastructure people have been using for decades. You could use the app if you wanted to not deal with a physical pass, or buy one in a store, or throw a handful of quarters in the machine on literally every bus. There were a dozen options and everything worked just fine despite it. The concept of "get on bus, pay, ride" is not some new and impossible thing I'm demanding here.

The new centralized payment system is worse in every possible way. There is no benefit for anyone except whatever consulting firm is milking the city for millions to build the thing.

It's worth noting that Trimet has been sued and lost for unconstitutionally arresting people over literal pocket change amounts of money so the priorities here are pretty clear, lol

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

PT6A posted:

In my experience, cards that have monthly passes are linked to your identity. The one I got in Madrid even had my photo on it! I got to negotiate the acquisition process in my broken-rear end Spanish, that was a good adventure.

The point is that buying gas shouldn't be a whole separate errand you have to run before you drive your car.

But it's going backwards and making things more difficult for no benefit? In your analogy I'm asking you to give up your Tesla that's always charged up at home now you have to go somewhere special to put gas in your car every week.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

There are *some* small benefits to the environment etc. from not using paper tickets paid for in cash. But I agree that public transport should have varied payment options available, even if cash payments are disincentivised with a higher price. Hell, on my local light rail service you can buy a ticket with the driver as a last resort, even though it's way more expensive (not to mention the social cost of the death glares you get for slowing people down)

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

There should be no payment options because mass transit should be publicly funded.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

There should be no payment options because mass transit should be publicly funded.

why should my taxes pay for poors to ride the bus when i drive myself everywhere at my own cost and the bus gets in my way sometimes

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Powershift posted:

why should my taxes pay for poors to ride the bus when i drive myself everywhere at my own cost and the bus gets in my way sometimes

Because otherwise we'll stuff you in a rocket and use you for manual labor on the moon.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Because otherwise we'll stuff you in a rocket and use you for manual labor on the moon.

I've always wanted to go to space

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Do i get astronaut ice cream?

I love that poo poo

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Boomers and other car fetishists believe that every transportation system should turn a profit without staggeringly massive public investment, except for cars and airplanes.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

We have to make sure people have some skin in the game by requiring fares for public transportation, or else they might make too many bus trips and relieve too much congestion

Just like we need to have co-pays for doctor's visits. We don't want people using up all that healthcare and getting too healthy to the point where they need fewer hospitalizations and reduce overall healthcare utilization for our society

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Devor posted:

We have to make sure people have some skin in the game by requiring fares for public transportation, or else they might make too many bus trips and relieve too much congestion

Just like we need to have co-pays for doctor's visits. We don't want people using up all that healthcare and getting too healthy to the point where they need fewer hospitalizations and reduce overall healthcare utilization for our society
Not an empty quote

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/HvhkEqi.mp4

These are the people you share the river with.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
the thunker

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
BMWSUVownerloss.gif

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
By the time you’re this confused I think you have problems that aren’t going to be mitigated by being able to park a few feet closer to the store.

picupload

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
I loving loathe cyclists in my city & drat near had one run into me that didn't look where she was going before barreling out of a near-blind side street.

To set the scene: here's an aerial map of part of my apartment complex - red arrow is the dumbass cyclist, green arrow is me:

I'm driving in doing about 15mph since I know kids & cyclists routinely like to come out of nowhere or ride in the middle of the road like douchebags. All the parking stalls to the right of me (green) are all full, plus you can see the 2 shrubs next to them, blocking my view so I can't see around them. Bitch on her bicycle (red) comes hauling rear end out from the right as I'm right about at the 2nd stall from the shrubs, cuts super close & doesn't even look in my direction, I brake quick to avoid hitting her. The icing on the cake? She yells at me about doing the speed limit...after carelessly failing to look both directions before crossing the road. Had a car been coming the opposite direction, no doubt she'd have been loving flattened in the street, especially since I could see she was wearing headphones attached to what looked like a phone on an armband. Assholes like her give cyclists a bad rep all over - watch what the hell you're doing for gently caress's sake, have some consideration & common sense unless you wanna get scraped out of someone's undercarriage.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Why's she gotta be a bitch tho?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Do you hate all drivers in your city the same way you apparently hate all cyclists?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Do you hate all drivers in your city the same way you apparently hate all cyclists?

Yes. Do you not?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Everyone on the road is an rear end in a top hat, myself included. Everyone else is just an even bigger rear end in a top hat

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Everyone going slower than me is an idiot, and everyone going faster is a maniac.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Everyone that doesn't know I have places to go or people to see pisses me off.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Vanagoon posted:

Everyone... is an idiot

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Astonishing Wang posted:

Why's she gotta be a bitch tho?

Primarily the whole "trying to blame me for her stupid gently caress up" part...instead of, y'know, admitting she screwed up & almost caused an accident by not paying attention. Bitch is probably the least offensive word I can use for someone like that with so little between their ears that they whistle in a stiff breeze.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Speleothing posted:

Living wages need to come back so that people can afford to replace their cars.

Or maybe have more rigorous annual inspections like we do in Europe, where they check so that your car literally is not falling apart from rust, is spewing out absurd amounts of pollution or is a death trap.

Edit: Regarding bus fares, here we have an app where you get a QR code on the display that you scan on the bus automatically. There are also NFC based cards which however are getting phased out at the moment. The future plan is to just let people pay with debit/credit cards directly on the bus. Our busses have been cash free for like 10 years now because they got robbed a lot back in the day (loving low rent rear end robbery btw, wow I got like 90 bucks in coins!!!!).

Cached Money fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 8, 2019

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Vanagoon posted:

Everyone going slower than me is an idiot, and everyone going faster is a maniac.

gently caress that.

Everyone going slower than me is definitely an idiot unless they have lane discipline that would make a German happy, but everyone going faster than me is a friendly rabbit.

I have no idea why anyone would be just generally against someone wanting to go faster than them. As long as they're not being so reckless that you just know they're going to gently caress up traffic ahead, there really aren't any downsides to having someone in front of you finding the speed traps.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Someone isn't familiar with their George Carlin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWPCE2tTLZQ

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
The problem with public transit in most of America is the sprawl. It's nearly impossible to design a system that improves upon driving yourself for the majority of the population.

My community has a bus system, one of the stops is right where I work which is less than 5 miles from my house. I choose to drive myself however, because riding the bus would require an extra hour of my time both ways. The sprawl creates a situation where either routes are too long or transfers too frequent to be practical. I'm sure my experience is not unique in suburban USA.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

PremiumSupport posted:

The problem with public transit in most of America is the sprawl. It's nearly impossible to design a system that improves upon driving yourself for the majority of the population.

My community has a bus system, one of the stops is right where I work which is less than 5 miles from my house. I choose to drive myself however, because riding the bus would require an extra hour of my time both ways. The sprawl creates a situation where either routes are too long or transfers too frequent to be practical. I'm sure my experience is not unique in suburban USA.

This is where trains plus park and rides come in.
Though a general densifying of America is a good long term plan. It doesn't even need to get rid of single family homes. Pre-WWII Chicago is a good example of density with single family.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

but MAH SETBACKS

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Vanagoon posted:

Someone isn't familiar with their George Carlin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWPCE2tTLZQ

Nah, I love Carlin, I've just seen that line used a lot in internet discussions about speed limits as a sarcastic way to say it's all subjective and nobody could ever be "right". Not really sure why I thought you were using it that way though.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

nm posted:

And right out again once the NIMBY contingent hears about it.

The county I live in did a study. Just a study - they didn't actually make any serious moves in implementing a county-wide (and beyond) light rail system. One community that would have seen less than a mile of long-idle rail siding repurposed for light rail immediately dug their heels in and threatened to litigate the county to a standstill if they moved to a planning phase.

The project was shelved in the early 2000s and hasn't been revived since.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

nm posted:

Park-n-ride is great when you have a proper city center and a good number of suburbs, but when your city (Fargo, ND) is more like a suburb to begin with, it doesn't work so well. It also doesn't address the real issue, which is people who can't or shouldn't be driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

PremiumSupport posted:

Park-n-ride is great when you have a proper city center and a good number of suburbs, but when your city (Fargo, ND) is more like a suburb to begin with, it doesn't work so well. It also doesn't address the real issue, which is people who can't or shouldn't be driving.
One of our suburban cities has piloted an on-demand ride system with small buses (that charges regular bus fares). Its a pretty cool system and really helps with that last mile (or 5) problem.
Basically it works like uberpool, but holds more people and is way cheaper.