Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Just realized but Corviknight and Drednaw having gygawhatever forms probably means they won't evolve. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Annath posted:

I'm curious how more than one person can catch the Raid pokemon.

in Pokemon Go, after a successful raid everyone who participated gets zoned into their own instance and has the chance to capture that Pokemon for themselves. I assume it'll be the same with this

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

qnqnx posted:

Watch the gigantamaxing flag not being inherited through breeding, resulting in having to raid even more.
Or just do like smart battlers do and save edit.

Its gunna be this

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Avalerion posted:

Just realized but Corviknight and Drednaw having gygawhatever forms probably means they won't evolve. :argh:

There's a Gigantimax Pikachu apparently, so maybe. But that might just be a special case.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Zore posted:

We had exclusive gyms in B/W technically with Iris/Drayden and SuMo had a ton of exclusive Totems. Its not really unprecedented

Iris and Drayden have the exact same team it doesn't count :colbert:

Totem pokémon aren't gym leaders

SuMo did have version-exclusive trial captain fights (Kiawe and Mallow) and it was bad there too!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I like the different games having more substantial differences

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Avalerion posted:

MikeJF posted:

There's a Gigantimax Pikachu apparently, so maybe. But that might just be a special case.

The leak also claims that Meowth and not Persian gets a giganto form, so I dunno

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

DemoneeHo posted:

The leak also claims that Meowth and not Persian gets a giganto form, so I dunno

I thought it was talking about a regional variant or split evolution rather than a Gigantomax form, but it wasn't very clear. But Meowth and Pikachu both getting special kaiju forms makes sense if the game makers have the anime in mind.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

idk why gigantamaxing couldn't have just been doing a mega evo while dynamaxed since that's basically the effect

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I cant wait for them to abandon the Dynamax system in the next gen for an even dumber gimmick, gonna be rad

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I think, at least in terms of lore, it could make sense for dynamaxing to be a local phenomena if you just say it's the ley lines or magnetic field or whatever of Galar that allows pokemon to be able to maxxx. (the same could probably be said for Z-moves being an Alola-only thing, but having portable crystals muddies that up a bit)

also (so far) it doesn't seem that cool anyway so I'm not worried they'll drop it for Gen 9

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

indigi posted:

I think, at least in terms of lore, it could make sense for dynamaxing to be a local phenomena if you just say it's the ley lines or magnetic field or whatever of Galar that allows pokemon to be able to maxxx. (the same could probably be said for Z-moves being an Alola-only thing, but having portable crystals muddies that up a bit)

also (so far) it doesn't seem that cool anyway so I'm not worried they'll drop it for Gen 9

That’s my assumption too. For that matter, Mega Evolution could be retconned as working only in certain regions as well.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
The human character designs this gen are going so hard for absolutely no reason.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Shneak posted:

The human character designs this gen are going so hard for absolutely no reason.

Bea and Allister are so good. Everyone's already forgotten about Sonia.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

indigi posted:

They z-moved in the throwback episode against Brock/Misty so z-moves are eternal confirmed

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

That’s my assumption too. For that matter, Mega Evolution could be retconned as working only in certain regions as well.

It doesnt need to be retconned at all, it comes from refracted light/energy from Xerneas and Yveltal that created mega stones, that's the origin. Ain't gonna have mega stones if they're regions away from the giant fairy deer and death bird, that's just geography

But I still want my mega stones in SwSh so gently caress GF

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Parrotine posted:

It doesnt need to be retconned at all, it comes from refracted light/energy from Xerneas and Yveltal that created mega stones, that's the origin. Ain't gonna have mega stones if they're regions away from the giant fairy deer and death bird, that's just geography

But I still want my mega stones in SwSh so gently caress GF

The UK, known for being further from France than Hawaii is

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Don't forget about Japan and its mega stones

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
pokemon raids sounds analogous to gacha raids. Or it's just some arbitrary bar that fills up and just spits out a gigantimax pokemon when it fills up. Really not feeling it idk.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Each new pokemon game from Sw/Sh onwards will be in its own pocket of the Pokemon multiverse (the multiverse being canon as of Or/As), and each season of the anime will begin with Ash and friends falling into a convenient wormhole.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

These are basically 2D sprite animations with a 3D model.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

indigi posted:

e: also "gigantamaxing" is such a stupid name. they should have taken a few more pitches on that

"So we had Mega Evolution. We're getting rid of that and need something new."
"Super Evolution."
"No."
"Super-duper Evolution."
"Stop."
"Super-de-Duper Evolution."

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
god dammit poo poo, gently caress. that thing's loving adorable, I can't.

LightningSquid posted:

Can't wait for all these new single stage Pokemon that are obviously based around Gigantamaxing to be rendered unusable when GF gets bored with Dynamax (in Gen 9)
sad but probably true, alas

Electric Phantasm posted:

Hey so apparently the gym leaders are version exclusive

Bea for Sword
Allister fir Shield

Edit I'm dumb and should have paid more attention to the trailer they got them marked.
on the one hand, yay, bigger version differences than changing the big dog you catch at the end
on the other, nooo those are both such good designs, why lock them away in separate timelines
gamefreak, why. you stupid dumb bastards.

Oxyclean posted:

Oh hey, I literally groused about Pokemon sending a lame message of "some pokemon just suck" with the IV system, good to see they're doubling down in it.

If you can't love pokemon at it's Vanillite, you don't deserve it at it's Alcremie.
:emptyquote:

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

The more I see this the less I feel that GameFreak knows how to animate or work in 3D spaces.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

These are basically 2D sprite animations with a 3D model.

https://i.imgur.com/B5tc4wD.gifv

via Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/c28top/i_fixed_the_wingull_animation_from_scratch_hope/

Ubiquitous_ posted:

The more I see this the less I feel that GameFreak knows how to animate or work in 3D spaces.

And yet everyone wants 3D models and pokemon wandering around the overworld :shrug:

It sucked rear end 10 years ago in Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker, and it sucks rear end now.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

once you start to only care about how cool or cute a pokemon is and stop caring about playing a 20 year old rpg that's not getting better you free yourself. it's paradise

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Man lots of bitching about having to do Max Raid Battles when they are not even Online only.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

oddium posted:

once you start to only care about how cool or cute a pokemon is and stop caring about playing a 20 year old rpg that's not getting better you free yourself. it's paradise

unfortunately due to galar regional dex you can't even care about how cool or cute a pokemon is anymore. caring will only lead to disappointment when your favorite friend is no longer in the game

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

oddium posted:

it's the only way to play imo

also don't get obsessed with favorites

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Lazy_Liberal posted:

it's the only way to play imo

The only way to win is not to play.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

The White Dragon posted:

unfortunately due to galar regional dex you can't even care about how cool or cute a pokemon is anymore. caring will only lead to disappointment when your favorite friend is no longer in the game

what pokémon are in the game means nothing to me. they’re still cool and cute

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Lazy_Liberal posted:

also don't get obsessed with favorites

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Giga Drednaw throws rocks that scatter into stealth rocks.

Doing the raid thing seems to be how they're betting on keeping people playing after post-game. I'unno how to feel about it, I don't like timed content, but I do feel once you beat the main game there's really nothing to do other than playing the collecthaton or going into competitive, so...

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
don't get too attached to the pokemon in your party because you'll be replacing them with ones that can gigamax later anyway

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Licarn posted:

don't get too attached to the pokemon in your party because you'll be replacing them with ones that can gigamax later anyway
given you can Dynamax exactly once per battle, and only in certain areas besides, there's no real reason to have more than one or two capable of doing it

megas could do so anywhere, so it was kinda beneficial to have a lot, but despite the hype, this seems like a limited gimmick

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I’m fine with Gigantimaxing Pokémon being rare to find because it gives me incentive to due raids but I could totally see the encounter rate increased based on the number of actual online players in the raid.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I wonder if it's gonna be a breedable characteristic too, or if you can distinguish between a Giga-able Pokemon and a regular one at a glance.

edit: oh, if you go into the version exclusives page they confirmed (I guess, maybe I missed them before) Tyranitar, Goodra, Kommo-o and Hydreigon lines in SwSh, in case anyone is keeping a list.

Dias fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 8, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maybe it will be an ability.

Personally any pokemon I catch that isn't gigantamax shiny max IV is getting dumped straight to wonder trade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Maybe it will be an ability.

Personally any pokemon I catch that isn't gigantamax shiny max IV is getting dumped straight to wonder trade

i change my answer. *this* is the only way to play.