Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Nazis or being born in 1988, right? Never did get why people put their birth year in usernames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ItBreathes posted:

Nazis or being born in 1988, right? Never did get why people put their birth year in usernames.

either those or the year 1988 is just really important to them for some reason. realistically it could be an assorted little handful of reasons and by itself it's hard to actually call someone out on, but if someone is giving off weird fashy vibes and the number 88 is in their username you can be pretty drat certain as to why. i think it's fallen out of favor a bit since these dipshits want to literally act like clowns now to own the libs, but, hey.

the more you know!

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
88 is also a lucky number in Chinese culture.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Yeah I'm a 1988 birthday and that caused a bit of confusion for me online for a while

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the ok hand sign is in a similar position, the majority of people who use it aren't doing a weird white supremacist signal but dudes who already stink of alt-right poo poo absolutely know what they're doing and just want to play coy to make those wacky sjws look crazy and unreasonable

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ItBreathes posted:

It used to be a surefire way to get almost the name you wanted, while looking less lame than being username1 or whatever.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

the ok hand sign is in a similar position, the majority of people who use it aren't doing a weird white supremacist signal but dudes who already stink of alt-right poo poo absolutely know what they're doing and just want to play coy to make those wacky sjws look crazy and unreasonable

That hand signal also overlaps with the circle game, a joke from Malcolm in the Middle. That really sketched me out when I saw that Johnny Cage animation from the new MK. "Wait this is a nazi game? Oh right it's that other thing oh thank gently caress"

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

fishmech posted:

It used to be a surefire way to get almost the name you wanted, while looking less lame than being username1 or whatever.

That makes enough sense that I feel like an idiot for never realizing it

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Tendales posted:

That hand signal also overlaps with the circle game, a joke from Malcolm in the Middle. That really sketched me out when I saw that Johnny Cage animation from the new MK. "Wait this is a nazi game? Oh right it's that other thing oh thank gently caress"

That's from childhood, not malcolm :mad:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Tendales posted:

we called that game "rear end in a top hat"

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

fishmech posted:

This is why I always go with 420_69

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

Worse still are the people who claim that this isn't actually real and that it was all a prank to make people think it was real and actually happening. Some dude was trying to explain to me about how the ok thing was a stunt by 4chan to try and trick people into thinking the ok sign was a new neonazi symbol so they could laugh about it when it got reported as such and that anybody who actually thinks it was being used to sincerely invoke white nationalism is just a gullible buffoon.

Like, idk why they were so insistent that it isn't a thing when it uhhh is. Even if their story was true, that the whole thing was a successful prank, that whole explanation falls apart because it centers around insisting that a thing that happens now never actually happened. The rest of his argument was that the co-option of normal everyday symbols by hate groups has never been a thing. Because white nationalists have never co-opted symbols before, ever, never in the history of the world has any kind of white nationalist group take a symbol or icon that was used in one particular non-hateful way and turned it into a symbol of their hate speech.

Anyway enough arby's drive-thru shenanigans, here's a speedrun I found of the ps2 game Stuntman. I haven't finished watching it yet but that game is hard as hell from what I've seen so it'll be cool to see someone speed through the whole thing

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/443458591

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

What happened was a bunch of nazis got together and decided to do the ok-hand in order to trick the libs into thinking that nazis do the ok-hand.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

Dr. Stab posted:

What happened was a bunch of nazis got together and decided to do the ok-hand in order to trick the libs into thinking that nazis do the ok-hand.

This is it

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

the increasingly less rare occurence of trying to be so ironic that you come out completely and utterly sincere

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Stab posted:

mandatory lesbian posted:

the increasingly less rare occurence of trying to be so ironic that you come out completely and utterly sincere

yeah unfortunately the ironic nazis forgot to tell the other nazis they were just joking

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ironic bigotry is still bigotry.

Ironic support of nazis is still support of nazis

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Just more proof they ruin everything they touch.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

iospace posted:

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1033506727352782849?lang=en

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
https://twitter.com/GamesDoneQuick/status/1148054332690108417

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's actually kind of depressing that 'signs that someone is possibly a neonazi or neonazi-adjacent' is relevant to this thread but that's just how poo poo is now, i guess

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's actually kind of depressing that 'signs that someone is possibly a neonazi or neonazi-adjacent' is relevant to this thread but that's just how poo poo is now, i guess

Never get into sports :smith:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Johnny Joestar posted:

Streamers are extremely ripe targets for that sort of poo poo. I remember seeing a discussion about one I follow and "love-bombing", which is pretty loving devious

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
In other news, somebody came into a speedrunning discord I'm in and it caused me to re-run some tests and discover something very weird:

https://twitter.com/uraniumanchor/status/1148082922752114693

The timing is otherwise identical for this trick, but it means the audio cue is slightly different.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

Streamers are extremely ripe targets for that sort of poo poo. I remember seeing a discussion about one I follow and "love-bombing", which is pretty loving devious

I looked that up and it doesn't sound like it has anything to do with racism. Is it just an example of a streamer doing something bad and getting exposed?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

McFrugal posted:

I looked that up and it doesn't sound like it has anything to do with racism. Is it just an example of a streamer doing something bad and getting exposed?

I haven't heard of it in the speedrunning sense, only the toxic relationship/cult sense. I assume in this case it's "a bunch of racists show up to a tiny/lonely streamer and say "hey you're a great dude, we all love you, you're the best, by the way have you heard about how our great white nation is in danger from the muslim hordes""

you see it a lot with various religions/cults/multi level marketing schemes, going after streamers is the only thing that's actually new about it, with the added fun of even if the streamer recognizes the problem, they feel like they can't cut it out without a majority of their viewers (aka their livelihood) abandoning them, so they just keep driving away the viewers that don't take that poo poo and dig their own holes deeper

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

iospace posted:

It's like ironically stabbing somebody, or ironically robbing a gas station at gunpoint

you still did the thing and your motivation for doing it doesn't matter

:hmmyes:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I haven't heard of it in the speedrunning sense, only the toxic relationship/cult sense. I assume in this case it's "a bunch of racists show up to a tiny/lonely streamer and say "hey you're a great dude, we all love you, you're the best, by the way have you heard about how our great white nation is in danger from the muslim hordes""

you see it a lot with various religions/cults/multi level marketing schemes, going after streamers is the only thing that's actually new about it, with the added fun of even if the streamer recognizes the problem, they feel like they can't cut it out without a majority of their viewers (aka their livelihood) abandoning them, so they just keep driving away the viewers that don't take that poo poo and dig their own holes deeper
yep, this. almost to the letter what happened to someone I followed

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Johnny Joestar posted:

tbh the first thing i do when i click into a new streamer is look and see if they've linked their twitter, then check it, including who they follow. I'm sorry to say this has hit pay dirt on occasion.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Whenever I waste any mental energy thinking about the chuds that speedrun Rare games I try to balance it out by remembering that time Grant Kirkhope went on Hbombs stream and said 'trans rights' in the donkey kong voice.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i guess it's just gaming in general but it's weird that the community would have a sizable number of transwomen (who have been visible in the marathons since the beginning) but then also the worst of the worst chud types. you'd think the maga shitheads would get the memo they're not welcome.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

i guess it's just gaming in general but it's weird that the community would have a sizable number of transwomen (who have been visible in the marathons since the beginning) but then also the worst of the worst chud types. you'd think the maga shitheads would get the memo they're not welcome.

I think the big issue, and the reason speedrunning seems to attract this trash, is because even if the wider community has slowly become more accepting, the communities for individual genres/series/games can be extremely insular, which leads people to participate in the communities that already share their views.
EX: goldeneye

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Groovelord Neato posted:

one problem is that there are a bunch of fairly prominent people in speedrunning who don't seem to mind them and actually do go out of their way to make them welcome.

e.g. when their position is "we're totally fine with this notably horrible person coming to our marathon, but they're not allowed on stream because we don't want to be called out again for not banning notably horrible people".

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

https://kotaku.com/the-best-speedruns-from-sgdq-2019-1836016398

"Best runs of SGDQ 2019" article; completely leaves out the blindfolded Punch-Out!! runs. :eng99:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Johnny Joestar posted:

in 2019 this concern is relevant to all spaces

DizzyBum posted:

"Best runs of SGDQ 2019" article; completely leaves out the blindfolded Punch-Out!! runs. :eng99:

fire this writer

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DizzyBum posted:

i used to post with jason on a gamefaqs offsite lmao

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

eonwe posted:

i used to post with jason on a gamefaqs offsite lmao

Prism baby

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Jabor posted:

e.g. when their position is "we're totally fine with this notably horrible person coming to our marathon, but they're not allowed on stream because we don't want to be called out again for not banning notably horrible people".

yeah uhhh gdq still needs to get their poo poo together if they're letting caleb come to the event and others

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Infinite jump tech discovered in BOTW

https://twitter.com/HyruleDojo/status/1148177225826484224

Just gonna my fart my way into the sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It happens a lot with internet personalities when they take heat for saying or doing something lovely. A bunch of people swoop in to say, "Wow it's terrible what the SJWs are doing to you, you did nothing wrong and shouldn't have to apologize to the mob, now let me tell you about how (((they))) want to take away your free speech...."