Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I'm still not sure what the difference between stats, EVs, and IVs are and I don't think I care to figure it out. I just my like my cool pokemon friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Graphic fidelity was never the main draw with Pokémon. Why are people suddenly so critical about it now of all times.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Zuzie posted:

Graphic fidelity was never the main draw with Pokémon. Why are people suddenly so critical about it now of all times.

'cause it never looked bad before

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Farecoal posted:

I'm still not sure what the difference between stats, EVs, and IVs are and I don't think I care to figure it out. I just my like my cool pokemon friends

:same:

I pick my pokemon by if they either balance out my type coverage, and if they're good and cool.

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013

oddium posted:

once you start to only care about how cool or cute a pokemon is and stop caring about playing a 20 year old rpg that's not getting better you free yourself. it's paradise

Thank goodness you regularly come into this thread about playing Pokemon to remind us all how little you care about playing Pokemon, I honestly don't know how I would cope without it

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zuzie posted:

Graphic fidelity was never the main draw with Pokmon. Why are people suddenly so critical about it now of all times.

It's the Galar Dex. That destroyed any good will the fanbase might've had towards less-than-perfect content, nevermind stuff that's actually pretty jank.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bleck posted:

It still doesn't. People are just angry about the no national dex.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Zuzie posted:

The 3DS was a poo poo console. The Switch is not.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Zuzie posted:

Because again, one of GameFreaks focus in this game are the animations and the graphics, and outside of a few moves and textures there has been no improvement at all.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MonsterEnvy posted:

Eh, I don't see why it's a big deal, but I've also never been a poop socker either.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Bleck posted:

*Looks at all those off-model red and blue sprites*

Uh-huh...

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Bleck posted:

Even as a kid I thought the battle graphics look kinda butt compared to other JRPGs tbh

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Annath posted:

I'm curious how more than one person can catch the Raid pokemon.

If raiding turns into literal World of Warcraft raiding where you have to farm regularly with only 1 person getting the gear/pokemon at a time, I'm gonna fuckin' die laughing.

They’ve literally already said everyone can catch the mon during E3.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

hopeandjoy posted:

They’ve literally already said everyone can catch the mon during E3.
correction: everyone gets a chance to catch the 'mon

whoever gets it first gets it, gently caress the other 3

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cake pokemon is cute, gigantamax being limited to some raid stuff is lame and version exclusive gym leaders is also lame

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Knowing what Game Freak would do, they'll probably include the other version's gym leader somewhere else. Maybe as some kind of postgame battle or something.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Zuzie posted:

Knowing what Game Freak would do, they'll probably include the other version's gym leader somewhere else. Maybe as some kind of postgame battle or something.

They're a t-posing NPC that laughs and asks if you've bought the other game to battle them

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Zuzie posted:

cause they're claiming it as the reason they're changing one of the fundamental features of the game

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The 3DS was a poo poo console. The Switch is not.

even so I thought SuMo looked great

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The pokedex is disappointing, but everyone who is still mad, please try to find a way to become less mad, this is getting annoying, thank you.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

MonsterEnvy posted:

people, including yours truly, were saying it wasn't great looking before the galardex controversies

Zuzie posted:

*Looks at all those off-model red and blue sprites*

Uh-huh...

yeah let's all judge 8-bit art assets thirty years later based on arbitrary shifting qualifications

look at this dumbass little mario sprite, his moustache isn't even the right colour smdh

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Ok so 24 hours is 3 work days, which spread over a dex of 400 is 1200 days or a little over 4 and a half years if no weekends are put on.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Moriatti posted:

Ok so 24 hours is 3 work days, which spread over a dex of 400 is 1200 days or a little over 4 and a half years if no weekends are put on.

famed one-man indie dev who makes games after clocking out and on weekends Game Freak

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Moriatti posted:

this is spurious logic even if the artist meant "literally 24 hours" and not "this took me one day"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

it doesn't look bad for a Pokemon game but it does look kind of bad for a 2019 Switch game.

I don't think it looks awful or even bad, personally, but it definitely doesn't look good either

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

New designs, for humans and mons, are cool and good. Dynamax still looks dumb. Game Freak looks dumber with every bit of info they drop. I personally don't care about the national dex thing, but several other aspects of this game sound concerning.

Unrelated but I hope Three Houses is good because I also love me some Fire Emblem.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the camping minigame better be Pokemon Refresh + PokePelago + a dash of Animal Crossing

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I'm looking forward to SwSh a lot. The limited DEX was disappointing but then I realized that I never used Pokémon bank in the first place--which isn't to say that I don't understand why people are upset about it. The game looks like it's going to be a lot of fun. All of the designs--pokemon, human, region--have been absolutely knocking it out of the park.

But I also do kind of feel like for a long time we've been waiting for a big leap forward in what the game looks like. And now that it's finally on a console... it just isn't really matching up to people's hopes. The model quality is fine, it's just... we were kind if imagining there'd be more, and it's been a bit disappointing that they didn't deliver on that.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I'd better be able to style that whipped cream mon's hair myself using detached joycons

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
I can't think of another game that has half the amount of unique character models of just The Pokemon, since human models parts can be swapped around on similar rigs. If anyone knows of one, I'd be interested in seeing the comparison.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

indigi posted:

it doesn't look bad for a Pokemon game but it does look kind of bad for a 2019 Switch game.

I don't think it looks awful or even bad, personally, but it definitely doesn't look good either

Honestly it looks good for a Pokemon game because Pokemon games never looked very good in comparison to other games, hehe.

I'm trying not to make much of a judgement call on graphics because poo poo can always get tightened up before release, it's not gone gold yet and we don't know exactly when the build they showed was from. Battle graphics are...disappointing, but this one is where I think the number thing comes into play. poo poo's always gonna look lazy because most Pokemon learn around ~50 moves, and you need them to be identifiable across all Pokemon that learn them, so doing an elaborate animation for all the Pokes that learn Tail Swipe is kinda a pipe dream - at least on a year-long dev cycle.

...which at the end of the day is the biggest gently caress-up GF made. You're already working on more than one project, then you decide to make your first main series console Pokemon game in such a short dev cycle? Fuckin' hell.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
So Gigantomaxing is basically Mega Evolution, but Bigger?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Geostomp posted:

nah, dynamaxing is just 3 turns of z moves and gigantamixing is just the same thing but one of the moves is even stronger

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

LightningSquid posted:

Thank goodness you regularly come into this thread about playing Pokemon to remind us all how little you care about playing Pokemon, I honestly don't know how I would cope without it

i just removed two more of your favorites from galar

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Mods can we get probes for people bitching about people discussing the Pokedex situation?

It's entirely appropriate to discuss in the Pokémon Thread, and the handful of people getting upset it's being discussed are making GBS threads up the thread.

TIA

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Geostomp posted:

It looks like it has the same restrictions regular Dynamaxing has with it being a once per battle thing with a three turn limit. It also changes all your moves to Z-move equivalents with Gigantamaxing mons getting a unique rider on specific elemental types (Corviknight getting barrier piercing on flying moves, Dreadnaw setting up stealth rocks when it uses a water move).

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I just started playing Omega Ruby and DexNav is great. How is this not in the games that followed it?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

OhFunny posted:

I just started playing Omega Ruby and DexNav is great. How is this not in the games that followed it?
you've answered your own question there, boyo, this is gamefreak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Watch them do some poo poo like make Elekid and Electabuzz available but the Motor Drive isn't programmed into the game.