Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
mike is right imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

one of the greatest mysteries of our time has been solved

the mystery of how the drat hell Fred McGriff wound up doing that awkward endorsement for the Tom Emanski baseball instruction videos. You know the ones.

https://twitter.com/TomKCTV5/status/1145071019914403840

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

fred mcgriff looks great

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Someone in the replies mentioned that he looks a lot like Kevin Garnett and goddamn :stare:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Someone in the replies mentioned that he looks a lot like Kevin Garnett and goddamn :stare:

I was scrolling without reading first and I legit thought that was a KD video

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1146071743154536449

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Every single pitch for 30 years. Ruocco will do great but it's going to be Very Weird not listening to Ma and Pa.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

all the yankee announcers are going down

https://twitter.com/RealMichaelKay/status/1146501557602705415

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Godspeed you ketchup hating genocidal freak

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
AT&T is looking to sell their AT&T Sports Networks, and the bidders are Sinclair and Comcast.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/crupicrupicrupi/status/1148341079789441026

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

holy moly

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
We just can't afford to pay the women any more.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

My wife has never given a poo poo about soccer and watched every match. I think there were a lot of people in that same boat.

Thise were some good rear end games, too.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

This isn’t even that good, the US women drew 25+ million in the 2015 final when it was a night game lol

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

straight up brolic posted:

This isn’t even that good, the US women drew 25+ million in the 2015 final when it was a night game lol

More people watch TV at night than at 11amET/8amPT :ssh:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

straight up brolic posted:

yeah but all tv ratings are going down

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Edward Mass posted:

AT&T is looking to sell their AT&T Sports Networks, and the bidders are Sinclair and Comcast.

Cant believe Im rooting for Comcrap in this

Ugh

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

so hands up if you had Jay loving Onrait of all people to be the next to completely tee off on Chris Broussard :stare:

(also be forewarned, it's an Andrew Bucholtz article)

quote:

“I sent a tweet to the effect of ‘What’s amazing is no one knew anything.’ Everybody, and I love Jalen Rose, I love him, Cris Carter, he was nothing but nice to us at Fox. But these guys were all full of poo poo! Or at the very least, they were being used, they were being manipulated by someone within Kawhi’s camp to get information out there.”

“I don’t know why that would be, I don’t know why they would want that. To save face, I guess? What good would it do them to feed them misinformation, right? Kawhi’s so secretive, everyone knows he’s secretive, no one’s expecting any information to come out from him. So I just have to assume that everyone was loving lying! Everyone knew nothing, nothing! And they were saying that they knew everything! Chris Broussard, who worked at Fox and is the biggest loving fraud in the history of sports media, ever, ESPN kicked him out, Fox kicked him out, I don’t know what he’s doing now, saying that the Clippers were out of it for sure and it was down to the Lakers and Raptors, he knew nothing! They knew nothing! It’s all bullshit!”

“And I know it’s all bullshit. I get it. All those shows in the daytime, First Take, and again, I like all those people personally, I like them all, and I understand why they’re doing those shows. It works, it gets numbers, people like them, it’s entertaining. I’m not criticizing that side of it. I’m just saying if anyone in the history of the world takes anything the daytime guys say seriously, and I’m including Stephen A. [Smith] in this, I know Stephen A. has a lot of connections, but he said a lot of stuff that’s completely 100 percent loving false…if anyone tells me ‘Stephen A. said something’ or ‘Max Kellerman said something,’ no! It’s all bullshit! No one knows anything! And they should have known that Kawhi was the kind of person that this would backfire on them about!”

god drat, Jay!

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
idk who that is but i fully support anyone and everyone dunking on chris broussard

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

chunkles posted:

idk who that is but i fully support anyone and everyone dunking on chris broussard

Jay Onrait and Dan O'Toole are longtime TSN Sportscentre anchors in Canada, very funny guys, use a ton of humor. Think prime mid-90s ESPN Sportscenter type of stuff.

Fox Sports hired them when FS1 was still fledgling but had no real idea what to do with them and after a couple years they went back north.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

chunkles posted:

I'm only vaguely familiar with Broussard but I enjoy Jay and Dan.

What'd Broussard do to earn that ire?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

all the nba insiders spent a week and a half claiming they had the scoops on where Kawhi Leonard was going to sign in free agency. they were going on every tv show, every radio show, saying this and that, and absolutely none of it turned out to be true. everyone was just going on air and making poo poo up in an effort to build their own fanbase and popularity off of this decision. it was an embarrassment for basically everyone except Adrian Wojnarowski

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Broussard has cited "sources" for YEARS that are clearly just him making poo poo up, tries to say he has exclusives from teams after they already made public statements, is a massive homophobe, and just plain gets things hilariously wrong over and over and over and over.

The article i liked has a bunch of links in it for further details.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I think it just highlights the difference in role/title between NBA insider (a person who pretends to have sources and just talks out of their rear end) and actual reporters (Woj, Shams, Stein) who see their ability to get a story right as an extension of their professionalism/integrity.

What's sort of interesting, but not surprising or new, is that most people who don't follow this stuff too closely don't know the difference. And why would they when they're often being promoted as if they are the same? If Broussard reports something I know most people on this forum will treat it like the steaming poo poo it is, but I can't tell you how many people I meet in my day to day life who are like "X tv personality/media guy said this on twitter so it's true".

I think in part this speaks to what Onrait was saying with the sheer amount of programming they have to fill . When you need content to debate for 40+ hours of live tv a week you can't just wait on reporters to make news. Instead, you start relying on these gasbags to generate their own stories. ESPN does this like crazy with football and more so with basketball lately. Fox Sports or whatever seems to do this daily but I don't really follow their stuff outside of their bad NBA takes.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

as the article said broussard is so loving lovely that even espn kicked him off, think about that

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BWV posted:

I think it just highlights the difference in role/title between NBA insider (a person who pretends to have sources and just talks out of their rear end) and actual reporters (Woj, Shams, Stein) who see their ability to get a story right as an extension of their professionalism/integrity.

What's sort of interesting, but not surprising or new, is that most people who don't follow this stuff too closely don't know the difference. And why would they when they're often being promoted as if they are the same? If Broussard reports something I know most people on this forum will treat it like the steaming poo poo it is, but I can't tell you how many people I meet in my day to day life who are like "X tv personality/media guy said this on twitter so it's true".

I think in part this speaks to what Onrait was saying with the sheer amount of programming they have to fill . When you need content to debate for 40+ hours of live tv a week you can't just wait on reporters to make news. Instead, you start relying on these gasbags to generate their own stories. ESPN does this like crazy with football and more so with basketball lately. Fox Sports or whatever seems to do this daily but I don't really follow their stuff outside of their bad NBA takes.

Yeah the cycle for a while now has been

Talking head says thing about [athlete/team]
Reporter asks [athlete/team] about what talking head said
Network makes story of reaction
Talking head reacts to reaction
Reporter asks about reaction to reaction

wash, rinse, repeat

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

helluva spin from Fox's PR dept

https://twitter.com/FOXSportsPR/status/1148982163120910336

Awful Announcing posted:

Tuesday night’s MLB All-Star Game on Fox drew a 6.2 overnight rating, a record low overnight. Last year’s game drew a 6.5 overnight, same as 2017, and the previous record low came in 2016, when the game in San Diego drew a 6.2 overnight.

Overnights for the All-Star Game have cratered over the last decade. Paulsen’s incredibly useful library of data from the last 20 years over at Sports Media Watch reveals that overnights for the MLB ASG have been steadily declining over the last 20 years, and over the last ten, overnights have been sheared by more than 40%, from an 11.0 back in 2008 to last night’s 6.2.

E:
As for Monday’s thrilling Home Run Derby, it drew a 4.5 overnight, slightly up from last year, but down nearly 20% from 2017.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
lol that's straight from the WWE "RAW IS THE HIGHEST-RATED SHOW ON CABLE TV (please ignore the historically low ratings)" playbook of spin

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

yes, just like wwe

the bad news is our ratings suck

the good news is our competition rates even worse

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I mean yes, it’s spin, but that’s the way to do it. You gotta compare yourself to the competition in the market you’re currently in, not the market you were in 10-15-20 years ago when the media landscape was drastically different. I mean, if you’re the #1 manufacturer of record players, that’s still something to be proud of and it’s not really fair to compare your sales numbers to other record player manufacturers when vinyl was the #1 way to own music.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

yet more weei drama

https://twitter.com/GerryCallahan/status/1149712965811281921

https://twitter.com/waaf/status/1149778135547883520

e: the replies

https://twitter.com/WEEI/status/1149737049416749057

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 12, 2019

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
lol good riddance to another racist

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

is gerry callahan they one that bragged about loving his interns

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
He's the one who compared an escape gorilla to busing students.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Greg Hill is a MAGA shithead so WEEI isn't exactly improving here.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

SirFozzie posted:

He's the one who compared an escape gorilla to busing students.

ohhhhhh yikes also how can boston have so many loving awful radio people

hcreight posted:

i doubt weei did it because he sucks; i imagine it's either a contract dispute or an internal harassment thing

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

ohhhhhh yikes also how can boston have so many loving awful radio people
Because it's Boston?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

hcreight posted:

Well, yeah. Hes from Boston, we already know hes a racist poo poo pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood! Nobody has listened to Diet Rush Limbaugh that I know of for a long time around here. EEI loving sucks