Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baromodo
Nov 14, 2012
Thanks for the responses.

Lungboy posted:

There are a few others to look at, the Core 500 and Node 202 from Fractal, the Cougar QBX Kaze, and if you can wait the Lian Li TU150 looks good, as does the Cooler master H100, plus the Enthoo Evolv Shift Air might be worth a look.

That briefcase one from Lian Li is pretty cool, still quite expensive though. I found the older TU-100 on ebay but it's still like £130 with delivery. The others are too big or pricey. Cooler Master is not out yet it seems, looks big, but can't find the dimensions though.

Llamadeus posted:

Yeah, the riser cables in these cases add a lot to the cost apparently.

That Hammer case is resold under different brands internationally eg it's the Kolink Rocket in Europe, but the price seems too close to the A4 for what it offers.

But I think the 3600 and 3700X are low power enough that good low profile coolers might be adequate. You're right that there aren't many good options for cheap small cases though, most of the sub-£60 cases are around 20L instead.

I like the Kolink, but yeah too expensive. At this rate I think I may just go with the mesh-fronted Silverstone SG13, stick a Shadow Rock LP air cooler, SFX PSU, a big-rear end 140mm Noctua fan in the front and hope for the best... (maybe another smaller fan in the side somewhere).

I've seen some people mod their SG13s to mount the PSU in the front to get a taller air cooler in there. Not sure I'm brave or skilled enough to do that though, and it would block off the biggest vented and dust-filtered surface of the case. I don't know how much better that would be tbh.

Initially I thought the SG13 was kind of dull, but it's growing on me since it's the only decently priced small case I could find, assuming the thermals can be made ok. This custom build I came across is particularly snazzy..

baromodo fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Anyone considering a 3700x might be fine with the stock cooler, this thing (the spire?) is pretty good from what I've heard. I'll let you know about gaming Temps when i build it out later tonight.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

baromodo posted:

Initially I thought the SG13 was kind of dull, but it's growing on me since it's the only decently priced small case I could find, assuming the thermals can be made ok. This custom build I came across is particularly snazzy..

The mesh front SG13 can actually be quite good thermally since there's so many open air holes all around the case so you get great airflow, the plastic front version is not quite as good obviously. Put a good 140mm fan(NF-A15 would be my choice) in the front so you can run it slow(low noise) and still push a ton of air, dual fan videocard blows directly out the side, PSU comes in the top(fresh air) and directly out the back. All you really need to worry about is getting a low profile CPU cooler or just doing a 140mm AIO at the front instead of just the fan if you want it even easier. If you go that route just make sure whatever AIO you get has those little swivel connections at the CPU block though and/or soft-ish tubing. Some of the AIO's with really thick/hard tubing or non-adjustable fittings can be a pain in the rear end to fit and route in there.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
So I am in the process of building a PC for the first time and I've run into an issue. I have an ASRock B450M-HDV motherboard and I'm having trouble installing Windows 10. I created a bootable USB flash drive, but the BIOS is telling me that an operating system wasn't found. It see's my M.2 drive and also the USB drive, but it acts like there's no media.

I know the flash drive is working, because the Windows 10 installation process works fine from that drive on an old Windows 7 laptop. I guess I'm just kind of lost. Any advice?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

baromodo posted:

Thanks for the responses.

That briefcase one from Lian Li is pretty cool, still quite expensive though. I found the older TU-100 on ebay but it's still like £130 with delivery. The others are too big or pricey. Cooler Master is not out yet it seems, looks big, but can't find the dimensions though.

I like the Kolink, but yeah too expensive. At this rate I think I may just go with the mesh-fronted Silverstone SG13, stick a Shadow Rock LP air cooler, SFX PSU, a big-rear end 140mm Noctua fan in the front and hope for the best... (maybe another smaller fan in the side somewhere).

I've seen some people mod their SG13s to mount the PSU in the front to get a taller air cooler in there. Not sure I'm brave or skilled enough to do that though, and it would block off the biggest vented and dust-filtered surface of the case. I don't know how much better that would be tbh.

Price for the TU150 hasn't been confirmed yet afaik but speculation is around £75. What do you consider too big and too pricey? Also, there's an SG14 due out around now too.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

babydonthurtme posted:

I want a cheap Classic WoW / FFXIV at low-medium quality @ 1920x1080 box, and I'm too lazy to build if I don't have to. Will this Dell box work well enough?

Inspiron 5675 Desktop ($510.00, refurb)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 1200 Processor (Quad Core, 3.1GHz, 2M cache,65W)
Windows 10 Home 64bit English
1TB 3.5inch SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
8GB (1x8GB) 2400MHz DDR4 UDIMM Non-ECC
AMD Radeon RX 560 with 2GB GDDR5

I think you'll be good. FFXIV isn't very demanding for a MMO and WoW's come a long with it's DirectX 12 implementation.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

So I am in the process of building a PC for the first time and I've run into an issue. I have an ASRock B450M-HDV motherboard and I'm having trouble installing Windows 10. I created a bootable USB flash drive, but the BIOS is telling me that an operating system wasn't found. It see's my M.2 drive and also the USB drive, but it acts like there's no media.

I know the flash drive is working, because the Windows 10 installation process works fine from that drive on an old Windows 7 laptop. I guess I'm just kind of lost. Any advice?
Did you boot into the drive from the old Windows 7 laptop, or just use it for an in-place upgrade?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

babydonthurtme posted:

I want a cheap Classic WoW / FFXIV at low-medium quality @ 1920x1080 box, and I'm too lazy to build if I don't have to. Will this Dell box work well enough?

Inspiron 5675 Desktop ($510.00, refurb)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 1200 Processor (Quad Core, 3.1GHz, 2M cache,65W)
Windows 10 Home 64bit English
1TB 3.5inch SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
8GB (1x8GB) 2400MHz DDR4 UDIMM Non-ECC
AMD Radeon RX 560 with 2GB GDDR5

Do you live near a Microcenter? Most of their pre-built options in the $500-600 range are much more powerful, and would let you either play more intensive games or significantly extend the useful life of the machine.

E: Like OhFunny said, though, the 5675 should be fine for low-medium FFXIV and WoW

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

Did you boot into the drive from the old Windows 7 laptop, or just use it for an in-place upgrade?

I actually just now tried to boot into that drive with the laptop and it's giving me the same thing that the desktop did, which is, "An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system." I initially plugged in the drive and just clicked setup.exe to test it out and it worked okay like that.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

babydonthurtme posted:

In addition to what was said, I'd probably just spend a little more for a Ryzen 5 or a slightly better GPU. It won't make too much of a difference for what you're going to run, but it'll extend the life of the system a bit.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

I actually just now tried to boot into that drive with the laptop and it's giving me the same thing that the desktop did, which is, "An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system." I initially plugged in the drive and just clicked setup.exe to test it out and it worked okay like that.
Did you set this up to be a boot drive, or did you just copy down a disk image?

Reformat the drive into using a FAT32 filesystem, then follow these instructions to create a recovery drive.

The data being intact/readable and the drive being bootable are two different things.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Something went wrong in the media creation most likely. Make sure it's formatted in a way that's bootable and just re-create the installation media.

baromodo
Nov 14, 2012

Lungboy posted:

Price for the TU150 hasn't been confirmed yet afaik but speculation is around £75. What do you consider too big and too pricey? Also, there's an SG14 due out around now too.

Ok very interesting. No I guess £75 is ok, but once you add on shipping... Since I've only seen the TU100 available for almost double that, I had assumed it would be similarly priced.

A new SG14 model you say? I'll have to look into that. I will probably not get around to my build for a couple of months anyway. And hopefully by then there'll be Ryzen 3600 BIOS-ready m-ITX x470 boards available as well.

Edit: just looked up the SG14, it's double the volume of the SG13! (Not to mention being a glass sided RGB-ridden monstrosity). Think I'll pass on that one.

baromodo fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 9, 2019

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

ItBreathes posted:

Something went wrong in the media creation most likely. Make sure it's formatted in a way that's bootable and just re-create the installation media.

I reformatted the drive to NTFS and it appears to be working correctly now.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

KingKapalone posted:

Want to upgrade from my i5-4670k from 2013. In the past I've upgraded every 3 years, but it hasn't seemed necessary with my current CPU so far. I got the 1070 in 2016 and left it at that. I could see myself with this Ryzen 3 for another 5 years in case that weighs into the advice.

- I'll be keeping the 1070 and I game at 1440p/165hz
- I pretty much only game and browse the web

Here are my thoughts and questions on the new components (big write up on last page was helpful):

CPU: Was thinking 3700X since I've never had the "7" level CPU before (just i5), but it could work in my budget now. I know that's a silly reason though, and since I plan to overclock to maximize value (not just to get the highest number) maybe the 3600 or 3600X would be fine. Since I don't upgrade as often, I also thought maybe the 3700X would be better.

Mobo: Is the X570 overkill? They're pretty expensive so I've only looked at the cheapest options for each line. Would getting a nicer X470 or B450 make more sense? It looks like the cheap X570s can overclock everything except maybe the 3900X? I don't need Wifi. My case has a front USB-C and the cheap X570s don't come with the correct header, but not a deal breaker. My only thought on the X570 is that it has the PCIe 4 which might be nice if I plan to get whatever new nvidia GPU comes out next year. Is that nonsense?

Cooler: I thought about getting into a custom loop just because that's pretty much what the case was designed for, but that's a steep price increase. It doesn't look like there's much headroom on the 3000 for overclocking anyway. I think the idea with the 360 is just that it will help fill things in, plus I'll need some fans for intake anyway and I think that's how it would be positioned in this case. I can get this one at a discount too.

Power Supply: From the wattage estimator I don't think I need a new PSU, but this one is also 6 years old. Any advice?

If you want to keep your CPU for a while I like the idea of a 3700X, the next gen consoles are going to have 8-core Zen 2 CPUs so having that same configuration on a PC should make it last a very long time. I would go with an X470 or B450 since you don't need ultra beefy VRMs or PCI-E 4.0 and you can save a lot of money, something as inexpensive as an MSI B450 Tomahawk would be fine. There are cheaper cooler options but if you can get that one on a discount it will work fine. As for PSU I usually look at the EVGA SuperNOVA G2/G3 or Seasonic FOCUS Gold 550W units as they can often be found for pretty cheap and they're very high quality.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

MaxxBot posted:

If you want to keep your CPU for a while I like the idea of a 3700X, the next gen consoles are going to have 8-core Zen 2 CPUs so having that same configuration on a PC should make it last a very long time. I would go with an X470 or B450 since you don't need ultra beefy VRMs or PCI-E 4.0 and you can save a lot of money, something as inexpensive as an MSI B450 Tomahawk would be fine. There are cheaper cooler options but if you can get that one on a discount it will work fine. As for PSU I usually look at the EVGA SuperNOVA G2/G3 or Seasonic FOCUS Gold 550W units as they can often be found for pretty cheap and they're very high quality.

Thanks for the info. After looking at Reddit a lot it seems like most are recommending the B450s. You don't think that having the PCIe 4 will matter if I plan to get whatever the next gen GPU is next summer?

The MSI Carbon and Tomahawk are sold out at my Microcenter probably because of the Flashback feature. Any other good B450s for my needs?

Do you think it's a good idea to get a new PSU? I think everything is compatible, just wondering about reliability for the next few years. Would also suck to get one now if a new GPU next year required a different connector or something.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

KingKapalone posted:

Thanks for the info. After looking at Reddit a lot it seems like most are recommending the B450s. You don't think that having the PCIe 4 will matter if I plan to get whatever the next gen GPU is next summer?

The MSI Carbon and Tomahawk are sold out at my Microcenter probably because of the Flashback feature. Any other good B450s for my needs?

Do you think it's a good idea to get a new PSU? I think everything is compatible, just wondering about reliability for the next few years. Would also suck to get one now if a new GPU next year required a different connector or something.

PCI 4: almost certainly not.

Mobo: those are the highest quality ones within their price tier, but Zen2 power draw is low enough I'm getting the impression no B450 would cause an issue unless pushing for max OC, though it'll need flashed. Zen2 also doesn't appear to OC well at all, at least yet.

PSU: old PSUs are a bit of a liability as they can potentially take the whole system when they go, and top tier PSUs can be had for $60-70. Connectors have been standardized for a while now and don't show any signs of changing.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Has there been any word on x570 boards in terms of good/bad yet?

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Quick question: Would building an air cooled m-ATX system in the Meshify C Mini be enough to withstand higher than averages ambient temperatures?
I live in Kyushu, Japan and it gets hot as hell here in the summer. No A/C in my home office either.
I've wanted to build an m-ATX sized system due to space constraints, and keeping it off the floor away from my soon to be born child, but if cooling/other factors are strong enough I might consider going to an ATX sized system.
edit: I'd be building a gaming system, and I like the look of the new Ryzen line. No overclocking, and probably a mid-tier GPU (since having a kid will likely be a big financial strain) like the 1660Ti or if I am lucky maybe a 2060.

Pegnose Pete fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 9, 2019

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
What are people's thoughts on the 2600X vs the 3600? I'd really like to get the 3600, if only for the satisfaction of having a bleeding-edge cpu for once, but 2600X prices have fallen quite a bit where I live (there's currently about a US$40 difference between them), and I wouldn't mind saving saving some money for the GPU if they're considered reasonably close in performance. This would be mainly for 1080 gaming (upgrading from an I5-4590 btw).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pegnose Pete posted:

Quick question: Would building an air cooled m-ATX system in the Meshify C Mini be enough to withstand hire than averages ambient temperatures?
I live in Kyushu, Japan and it gets hot as hell here in the summer. No A/C in my home office either.
I've wanted to build an m-ATX sized system due to space constraints, and keeping it off the floor away from my soon to be born child, but if cooling/other factors are strong enough I might consider going to an ATX sized system.
edit: I'd be building a gaming system, and I like the look of the new Ryzen line. No overclocking, and probably a mid-tier GPU (since having a kid will likely be a big financial strain) like the 1660Ti or if I am lucky maybe a 2060.

I'm sure it'd be fine. I just built an air cooled m-itx in a Fractal Design Node 304 (with a hyper 212 EVO) and while I used a low TDP i3, there was plenty of room for the cooler in that case (up to 165mm tall) and the airflow was great, everything comes in the front and is pushed through the back of the case where a 140mm fan sits. It's also perfectly quiet. You can fit a discreet GPU just have to make sure the PSU you use is less than 160mm long or the GPU is less than 170mm.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Drunk in Space posted:

What are people's thoughts on the 2600X vs the 3600? I'd really like to get the 3600, if only for the satisfaction of having a bleeding-edge cpu for once, but 2600X prices have fallen quite a bit where I live (there's currently about a US$40 difference between them), and I wouldn't mind saving saving some money for the GPU if they're considered reasonably close in performance. This would be mainly for 1080 gaming (upgrading from an I5-4590 btw).

The 3600 is a substantial upgrade over the 2600, but neither will be a bottleneck at 60fps. The 3600 will last longer, but at when the 2600 won't be able to hold 60fps and what the CPU / game landscape will look like at that point can't be said.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Pegnose Pete posted:

Quick question: Would building an air cooled m-ATX system in the Meshify C Mini be enough to withstand higher than averages ambient temperatures?

I think with a Ryzen 3600 or 3700X and a 1660Ti you should be fine as those are both quite low-power components.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Thanks for the info! My monitor is 1440p 60hz so I may need to step up the GPU, but I probably won't be buying for a few months until my budget at work refreshes so I'll have to check in again when the time comes.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Okay, I'm planning to hit the button on this today - how does it look, thread?

The GPU is a placeholder for the EVGA 2070 Super Black.

I realise I could drop down to a 3600, 2060 Super and 16GB RAM for a fair bit less and I've been waffling back and forth on that, but I think I want to splash out a bit.

Is there a "best" model of spinny drive if I want some extra (2-4TB) storage?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (£319.99 @ AWD-IT)
Motherboard: MSI - B450M MORTAR Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£83.46 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: *Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£136.98 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Intel - 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£97.27 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Video Card (£479.99)
Case: Fractal Design - Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£69.95 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: *SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£78.11 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £1265.75

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Jack the Lad posted:

Okay, I'm planning to hit the button on this today - how does it look, thread?

The GPU is a placeholder for the EVGA 2070 Super Black.

I realise I could drop down to a 3600, 2060 Super and 16GB RAM for a fair bit less and I've been waffling back and forth on that, but I think I want to splash out a bit.

Is there a "best" model of spinny drive if I want some extra (2-4TB) storage?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (£319.99 @ AWD-IT)
Motherboard: MSI - B450M MORTAR Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£83.46 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: *Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£136.98 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Intel - 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£97.27 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Video Card (£479.99)
Case: Fractal Design - Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£69.95 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: *SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£78.11 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £1265.75

This is pretty close to where I arrived at with my own thoughts of theorycrafting and watching vids about all this online for the past week, with two exceptions: 1) being perfectly fine with 2x8 GB RAM sticks since I don't think we're anywhere near needing 32GB RAM yet + it's not that expensive to upgrade in the future unless you're that afraid of a big bitcoin mining comeback screwing prices again 2) giving up an extra 10 EUR for a 650W SeaSonic of the same type, just to be sure for any potential GPU overclocking down the line, help efficiency a little and to last a bit longer over time since watt output degrades very slowly over the years.

TL;DR Save a fair bit of change on the RAM, and spend a little more on the PSU. But yea...your thought process is terribly close to mine so...just saying you're likely on the money and, if not, any more experienced response to this I'm interested in too.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jul 9, 2019

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

CrazyLoon posted:

This is pretty close to where I arrived at with my own thoughts of theorycrafting and watching vids about all this online for the past week, with two exceptions: 1) being perfectly fine with 2x8 GB RAM sticks since I don't think we're anywhere near needing 32GB RAM yet + it's not that expensive to upgrade in the future unless you're that afraid of a big bitcoin mining comeback screwing prices again 2) giving up an extra 10 EUR for a 650W SeaSonic of the same type, just to be sure for any potential GPU overclocking down the line, help efficiency a little and to last me a bit longer over time since watt output degrades very slowly over the years.

TL;DR Save a fair bit of change on the RAM, and spend a little more on the PSU. But yea...your thought process is terribly close to mine so...just saying you're likely on the money and, if not, any more experienced response to this I'm interested in too.

To be fair that's a good point on the RAM; I can always go 2x8 and add another 2x8 later. I'm coming from 8GB and a bad habit of having hundreds of browser tabs open at a time, but there's no reason not to try 16GB.

When I showed a buddy the build just now he said I'm wasting money on the 3700x, too, and thinking about it he may be right. I'm only really going to be gaming and very casually streaming on this and the 3600 is £131 cheaper.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Definitely get a 3600 then too. A 3700X is worth considering if you're looking into going seriously into streaming or are going to spend a day or two every week doing work like video editing, compiling or rendering behind the computer. But if it's going to be mostly gaming and casual streams, 3600 will get you just as far at the best value (especially considering that it compares to an expensive i7-8700k in performance so...yeah. That review also gives you an exact comparison of 3600 to 3700X so...deffo worth a watch). At least...that's the conclusion I arrived at.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 9, 2019

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Should I be aiming for an amd card because my monitor has freesync or am I setting myself up for trouble down the line?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Should I be aiming for an amd card because my monitor has freesync or am I setting myself up for trouble down the line?

Nvidia added freesync support so there's no need to do that. They have only certified some monitors to work with it but you can turn it on for all freesync monitors and it will probably work.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Snazzy Frocks posted:

As posted above you’re most likely going to be fine with nVidia card, but in some price brackets AMD is a sensible alternative.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

CrazyLoon posted:

Definitely get a 3600 then too. A 3700X is worth considering if you're looking into going seriously into streaming or are going to spend a day or two every week doing work like video editing, compiling or rendering behind the computer. But if it's going to be mostly gaming and casual streams, 3600 will get you just as far at the best value (especially considering that it compares to an expensive i7-8700k in performance so...yeah. That review also gives you an exact comparison of 3600 to 3700X so...deffo worth a watch). At least...that's the conclusion I arrived at.

Cool, okay, makes sense to me and I think I'm ready to go ahead and order, then.

Is there a consensus on the best GPU manufacturer(s)? There's a bewildering variety of third party 2070 Supers that just came out and MSI, Zotac, Asus, Gigabyte and EVGA all have models £475 to £500.

The Asus Dual Evo OC has the highest boost clock at 1845mhz and the Gigabyte Super Windforce OC has the biggest (three fans) cooler. What should I be looking at here? Is the manufacturer software like MSI Afterburner worth considering?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

MSI Afterburner works in all cards.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Consensus, I don't know. Asus and EVGA generally make quality hardware with Asus ROG stuff costing more than EVGA's similarly spec'd hardware. MSI is my 3rd choice for quality, personally, and not far from Asus and EVGA with their higher end stuff. I'd buy MSI if there was one I particularly wanted. I don't like Gigabyte, having personally bumped them down to being on the same level as Zotac and such because they skimped out on power delivery hardware in secret a few times. (Not that I am making GBS threads on Zotac necessarily, though not as good as higher end stuff I'm sure there are a lot of happy Zotac - and plenty of happy Gigabyte - customers)

I have been an EVGA buyer since the GTX 580, which has included a 680, a 780, and a 780 Ti in the past, with a 2070 (not super) on the way now from a 700/900 card series upgrade promotion they just ran to help clear their stock. None of those cards had issues requiring warranty, but I did the step-up process from the 780 to the 780 Ti so I have used their RMA process in the past. I've always found them easy to work with & I have appreciated their promotions since it's put a better card I wanted in reach twice now, the 2nd time unexpectedly.

All that said, for years nVidia has worked to address problems with partners putting out inadequate products, and I imagine that the problem with outright shittier designs and skimping where inadvisable is better these days than it was before Greenlight and the Founder's Editions. If considering a card with custom cooling, it's worth looking up user reviews and any possible issues that the card you are considering may have - because those cooling designs are pretty much up to the discretion of the vendors they sometimes have a quirk or flaw like higher noise or a fan whine or something like that. Worth a quick check to see if others have any issue with it before buying IMO.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 9, 2019

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
Howdy,

Me and my wife make music together. She just got a modest amount of funding and we want to buy a dedicated PC for recording music. At the moment we use my ageing macbook (mid 2012 with udgraded 16gb RAM and 500gb SSD) which is fine but I use it for other stuff and we have a room in our house that we use as a studio and it would be nice just to have a perm- set up.

We live in Germany and our budget is 400Eur max (350 pref.) so I gather it is not worth the hassle of building something myself...

therefore my question-

I found this deal on Ebay which seems like it would more than do the job and I was looking for a second opinion as I haven't bought a computer in over 10 years (said laptop was a university freebie)

here are the specs,

AMD FX 8300 8 Core GT 710 2GB SSD 256GB Windows 10 16GB DDR3

I can add an additional 1TB HDD for 40Eur (which I would do)

There is also the option to upgrade the graphics to gt 730 2gb for 26 EUR- not sure how essential this is with regards to using a DAW (we use ableton 10 btw, sometimes with quite a few plug-ins), but have read the 710 is dog poo poo. Also I might want to do a little sneaky PC gaming on the side is its possible (as long as it runs New Vegas that is more than enough)

here is the full specs list, it is in german but you should be able to see relevant info,

Prozessor: AMD FX 8300
Gehäuseanschluss: USB3.0 (Mainboard abhängig), USB2.0, Audio In/Out
Prozessorsockel: AM3+
Betriebssystem: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Mainboard: Asus M5A78L-M LE/USB3
Betriebssystemversion: Professional
Hardware-Anschluss: Audio, LAN, PS2, USB 2.0, USB 3.0, VGA, DVI, RS232
Herstellungsland und -region: Deutschland
Arbeitsspeicher:: 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz (2x8GB)
Prozessorgeschwindigkeit: 8 x 4,2GHz Turbotakt
Sonstiges:: Erweiterungsoptionen siehe Konfigurator
Arbeitsspeicher (RAM): 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz (2x8GB)
Grafikkarte: Nvidia Geforce GT 710 2GB
Festplattenkapazität: 256GB
Boot-Festplattentyp: SSD (Solid State Disk)
Grafikprozessor: Dedizierte Grafik
SSD-Festplattenkapazität: 256GB
Marke: ASUS SI
Formfaktor: Micro Tower
Herstellernummer: 20190772
Gehäuse: MA-01 Micro Tower

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

alex314 posted:

MSI Afterburner works in all cards.

Agreed posted:

Consensus, I don't know. Asus and EVGA generally make quality hardware with Asus ROG stuff costing more than EVGA's similarly spec'd hardware. MSI is my 3rd choice for quality, personally, and not far from Asus and EVGA with their higher end stuff. I'd buy MSI if there was one I particularly wanted. I don't like Gigabyte, having personally bumped them down to being on the same level as Zotac and such because they skimped out on power delivery hardware in secret a few times. (Not that I am making GBS threads on Zotac necessarily, though not as good as higher end stuff I'm sure there are a lot of happy Zotac - and plenty of happy Gigabyte - customers)

I have been an EVGA buyer since the GTX 580, which has included a 680, a 780, and a 780 Ti in the past, with a 2070 (not super) on the way now from a 700/900 card series upgrade promotion they just ran to help clear their stock. None of those cards had issues requiring warranty, but I did the step-up process from the 780 to the 780 Ti so I have used their RMA process in the past. I've always found them easy to work with & I have appreciated their promotions since it's put a better card I wanted in reach twice now, the 2nd time unexpectedly.

All that said, for years nVidia has worked to address problems with partners putting out inadequate products, and I imagine that the problem with outright shittier designs and skimping where inadvisable is better these days than it was before Greenlight and the Founder's Editions. If considering a card with custom cooling, it's worth looking up user reviews and any possible issues that the card you are considering may have - because those cooling designs are pretty much up to the discretion of the vendors they sometimes have a quirk or flaw like higher noise or a fan whine or something like that. Worth a quick check to see if others have any issue with it before buying IMO.
Cool, thanks. Do review sites tend to put stuff up about each manufacturer's variants fairly quickly after release?

e: Found a roundup here and it looks like the Asus got a good review from a French site already, so I'm gonna grab that https://videocardz.com/81446/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2070-2060-super-custom-review-roundup

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 9, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Alright, it's looking like I'm too lazy to write an OP, and I'd like to see some more 3600 reviews and a deep dive into how memory speed effects Zen2 before writing anything long form, it looks like we're getting a pretty clear idea of how PC building recommendations will look for the next year.

In almost all (gaming) cases you want:

16gb 3200 or 3600 RAM (we still need insights into the exact level of impact on Zen2)

1TB+ SSD storage. NMVe doesn't offer much for consumer workloads, but the price delta has pretty much gone away so don't worry about it.

A fully modular, 80+ Gold or better, 10 year warranty PSU, likely 550 or 650 watts, but check your system config. Remember, they're most efficient at ~50% load, so more ≠ better. These are EVGA supernova (550w and 650w G2/3 have 7 year warranties but are otherwise excellent), Corsair RMx (2018), and Seasonic Focus Plus.

CPU:
Across the board, the 3600 ($200) will be a strong choice and correct for most builds. If you're feeling spendy or afraid 6c/12t parts will fall off a cliff in the near future the 3700X ($329) offers sometimes better performance, especially with regards to 1% lows, though it's minimal in many cases, and is 8c/16t. It may also be a stronger choice if you're a serious streamer.

Cost no object, max framerate builds will want a 9700k ($365 presently) or 9900k ($490).

Budget builds should consider a 1600 ($120) or 2600 ($150), especially if they have access to a Microcenter where the 2600 is $120. Both are fine for 60fps gaming (though I'd strongly favor the 2600) and at Microcenter pricing it'd even be hard to recommend the 3600 unless targeting high refresh rates.

GPU:

1080p60
On the cheap: RX570 (~$120, often with free games) - will push 60fps with some settings turned down. Old and hot.

Less cheap: GTX1660 ($220) - will do 60fps max with overhead, uses half the power of AMDs 1080p cards. My current recommendation for all but the cheapest builds.

Even less cheap: GTX1660ti (~$270-280) has even more overhead so it will be longer before you need to turn anything down.

1440p144 or 1080p144+:

RX 5700 ($350) or RTX2060 Super ($400) or RX 5700 xt ($400) or RTX2070 Super ($500).

These are all brand new and it's hard to say anything definitive yet. AMDs cards don't have RTX features, but otherwise seem to offer more performance per dollar, but that may change (or grow more apparent) as drivers mature. You'll want one of these, but ask in the thread when you go to build.

4k60:
Maybe don't?

A 2080ti ($toomuch) is the only thing that can hit 60fps, and not even in every game.

The 2080super hasn't been benchmarked yet, but initial expectations in the press aren't real high.

The 1440p cards will push frames, but they ain't hitting 60.

Case:
The objective components of a case are noise level, airflow, and size. The subjective are ease of building and aesthetics. The thread has been big on the Meshify C lately (someone correct me if this is wrong), but unless sound is a large concern, pick what you think looks good, ask in the thread if there are any specific concerns with it. Very few cases are unusably terrible.

Mobo:
The recommended AMD CPUs don't have a huge power draw and should be fine in any 4XX series board, though for now those will need a bios flash to support Zen2, which requires access to a Zen or Zen+ CPU to do (in most cases), newly produced ones won't have this issue going forward. The MSI Tomahawk ($100) and Pro Carbon ($130) offer solid component upgrades over any cheaper boards, but lower end ones won't blow up in your face if that's what it takes to make budget.

I haven't kept up on Intel Mobos / they don't come up in thread much, so if anyone has a recommendation for one for OCing the 9700k or 9900k please tell me.

Basic web browsing / word editing can be handled by a Chromebook or Dell refurb.

The requirements for professional workloads depend on the workload in question so general recommendations can't be made. Ask in thread, but the more specialized you get the less the odds anyone will actually know. Pudget systems benchmarks Adobe and similar products and should be your first stop if that's you're line of work.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Anyone got a link for a good beginners guide on overclocking my ram speeds?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I'm looking to pull the trigger on my parts orders but the G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory I was eyeing is sold out. Is there a comparable for the same price point or should I wait?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

JoelJoel posted:

I'm looking to pull the trigger on my parts orders but the G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory I was eyeing is sold out. Is there a comparable for the same price point or should I wait?

Corsair - Vengeance is very comparable, down to the CL16. It's what I got for myself in advance, anyway.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 9, 2019