Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Its Coke posted:

they HAVE to resolve that poo poo at SOME point :gonk:

It's still not resolved as of the end of book 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Its Coke posted:

they HAVE to resolve that poo poo at SOME point :gonk:

"It's not terrible! It's not terrible!", I continue to insist as I slowly turn into an RPG inventory page.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The Harry Potter in college stuff is a million times better than the sex ninja stuff for whatever that's worth.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

P-Mack posted:

The Harry Potter in college stuff is a million times better than the sex ninja stuff for whatever that's worth.

Also the sex fairy stuff, and also probably the original Kvothe short-story he shoe-horned in where the writing style is completely different and acts like Kvothe is some mysterious new introduced person who may be a rapist and also poisons a bunch of people to death for shoplifting because the only time he could have poisoned them was after they said they were shoplifting Edema Ruh and then it ends with him walking away from all of the corpses with a 'badass' quote which the story immediately has to turn and go "Actually Kvothe then started throwing up from the guilt of the murders!" because consistency is anathema.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Kchama posted:

"Actually Kvothe then started throwing up from the guilt of the murders!"

The Kingkiller Chronicles by Phillipe, age 5

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

P-Mack posted:

the sex ninja stuff

what

Kchama posted:

the sex fairy stuff

the

Kchama posted:

"Actually Kvothe then started throwing up from the guilt of the murders!"

gently caress

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Its Coke posted:

what

the

gently caress

Do you want me to spoil you on the surprise. Book two is, shall we say, actually WORSE when it stops being Harry Potter and the Collegiate Debt.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I liked the forest thieves and some of the Maer stuff. The rest of book 2 you could throw away though.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Overall I enjoyed the first book (despite it's flaws) but was pretty disappointed when I realized he was going to spend the bulk of it at the school. The stuff with the Chandrian(?) and the tavern was cool but I really didn't expect such a big emphasis on the "wizard schoolboy" story.

So thanks thread for convincing me to drop the series.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Human Tornada posted:

Overall I enjoyed the first book (despite it's flaws) but was pretty disappointed when I realized he was going to spend the bulk of it at the school. The stuff with the Chandrian(?) and the tavern was cool but I really didn't expect such a big emphasis on the "wizard schoolboy" story.

I'd say it's worth the hate read, personally, also it's like tapping into a part of the zeitgeist. I mean people LOVE these books.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Human Tornada posted:

So I'm gonna level with you. The Chandrian barely come up for book two. Like a random bandit lord they murc turns out to be one and missing. And that's literally it. That's all of the actual Chandrian plot. The first like quarter of the book is Wizard Schoolboy Continuation. Then the rest of the book is Being Learned In The Ways of Sex-Having and then Showing Off Sex-Havingness.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Kchama posted:

So I'm gonna level with you. The Chandrian barely come up for book two. Like a random bandit lord they murc turns out to be one and missing. And that's literally it. That's all of the actual Chandrian plot. The first like quarter of the book is Wizard Schoolboy Continuation. Then the rest of the book is Being Learned In The Ways of Sex-Having and then Showing Off Sex-Havingness.

I think this is part of why the 3rd book is taking forever/will never be written. There's no way to get to the plot points needed to unravel the mystery of the Chandrian and all his other garbage in a single book without GoT style fast traveling between locations and just slamming through events.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kchama posted:

You forgot the Cyrano de Bergerac Expy and the Go/Chess-But-Actually-Tak-(A Beautiful Game) Interludes.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

pseudanonymous posted:

I'd say it's worth the hate read, personally, also it's like tapping into a part of the zeitgeist. I mean people LOVE these books.

LOL I would be shocked if anyone I knew had ever heard of these books before. I finished Name of the Wind and decided to drop the series a while ago but just got around to posting here. Anyways I'm not a hate-reader, but reading about how much people hate them is pretty fun.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Human Tornada posted:

LOL I would be shocked if anyone I knew had ever heard of these books before. I finished Name of the Wind and decided to drop the series a while ago but just got around to posting here. Anyways I'm not a hate-reader, but reading about how much people hate them is pretty fun.

its confined to nerd circles, the people who read these also read Wheel of Time and Star Wars novelizations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

ulmont posted:

You forgot the Cyrano de Bergerac Expy and the Go/Chess-But-Actually-Tak-(A Beautiful Game) Interludes.

And of course seducing his aunt through his ample prose.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I wonder if it a lot of the anger with the series would be better if Rothfuss just announced that there would be an additional book to the trilogy to tie up loose ends.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

TV Zombie posted:

I wonder if it a lot of the anger with the series would be better if Rothfuss just announced that there would be an additional book to the trilogy to tie up loose ends.

So it would be done by 2070, not 2050? Ill be dead by then mate

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

TV Zombie posted:

He'd have to loving finish book three ever first.

Maybe if he hadn't lied and said the book were completed and just needed some minor editting way back when book 1 came out he wouldn't be in this trouble.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

TV Zombie posted:

the books would still be pretty bad though

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

PJOmega posted:

And of course seducing his aunt through his ample prose.

That's the Cyrano de Bergerac Expy.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

ulmont posted:

That whole side plot with the "Mayor" is a total waste of time. Literally nothing was accomplished, and it was a big WHO GIVES A gently caress

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

ElGroucho posted:

That whole side plot with the "Mayor" is a total waste of time. Literally nothing was accomplished, and it was a big WHO GIVES A gently caress

It advances the D* bullshit and I'm assuming there's some clue to the Chandrian in the woods bit. Also, it firmly establishes him as a sex-haver of epic proportions, and I can only assume the cloak he gets from the sex-fairy will be important, afaik he doesn't still have it in the inn, so I'm sure it's Chekov gun style something.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

ulmont posted:

It's been awhile but did Cyrano seduce his blood relative?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

PJOmega posted:

It's been awhile but did Cyrano seduce his blood relative?
Somewhat more removed than his aunt, but yes.

quote:

Hercule Savinien Cyrano de Bergerac, a cadet (nobleman serving as a soldier) in the French Army, is a brash, strong-willed man of many talents. In addition to being a remarkable duelist, he is a gifted, joyful poet and is also a musician. However, he has an extremely large nose, which causes him to doubt himself. This doubt prevents him from expressing his love for his distant cousin, the beautiful and intellectual Roxane, as he believes that his ugliness would prevent him the "dream of being loved by even an ugly woman."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrano_de_Bergerac_(play)

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
the difference, of course, is Cyrano De Bergerac rules

and Kvothe loving sucks

I'll still pop on the Jose Ferrer version every year

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

It advances the D* bullshit and I'm assuming there's some clue to the Chandrian in the woods bit. Also, it firmly establishes him as a sex-haver of epic proportions, and I can only assume the cloak he gets from the sex-fairy will be important, afaik he doesn't still have it in the inn, so I'm sure it's Chekov gun style something.

The only clue to the Chandrian in the woods bit was that 'one existed', since the dead bandit lord was supposedly the Cinder guy.

I can't decide if Rothfuss forgot about the cloak or not.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There's no way. Kvothe's inventory menu is the one thing he constantly focuses on.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It's probably locked in the magic indestructible locked chest he has.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

When I write my memoir the first thing I'm going to do is painstakingly detail exactly how much change I had in my wallet/pocket 20 years ago with reference to the inflation rate of core goods during the intervening years.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

It's too bad that, despite your incredibly detailed, evocative, and communicative prose, your readers will still never be able to understand what it's like to be truly poor. Unless they also went to college.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So I guess Rothfuss and RR Martin are having themselves an ol' fashioned procrastin-off.

First one to publish another book loses, and has to pay the other a crisp new dollar bill.

Also in regards to the Rothfuss books, it seems it was a sound decision that I bailed at about 50 pages past arriving at Not-warts school of wizardry.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Deptfordx posted:

So I guess Rothfuss and RR Martin are having themselves an ol' fashioned procrastin-off.

First one to publish another book loses, and has to pay the other a crisp new dollar bill.

Also in regards to the Rothfuss books, it seems it was a sound decision that I bailed at about 50 pages past arriving at Not-warts school of wizardry.

think of all the time you saved

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Deptfordx posted:

At least the Mountain That Doesn't Write did so at some point. Most of his early shorter fiction was pretty decent and people like ASoIAF for the stuff that is actually in the book. I have the feeling that the people who really like Rothfuss' stuff like it for what isn't in the book. They do the nerd circle jerk about the Chandrian's origin or the causes of Kvoth's downfall or whatever on the basis of totally insuficient and contradictory information. Which is fine, have fun with the unwritten third book while the actual second book treads water.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

For all Martin's procrastination, he seems to be a lot more open and honest about it than Rothfuss, who flies into a rage anytime anyone mentions that he has an unfinished book in the works.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
http://twitter.com/scalzi/status/1139303481972527109

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Thanks, I hate it

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

this makes me unhappy

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This vexes me. I find this vexing. I'm terribly vexed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016
I used to be sexually aroused by some things. But not anymore. Not anymore for the rest of my life.