Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
sonic, silver, and shadow the roaming legendary hedgehogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Nodosaur posted:

do we know how Rolycoly's ability works? Is it like Water Absorb and Flash Fire and Motor Drive where it eats the attack, or like Water Compaction, where you have to absorb the hit still?
if it just eats the attack I'm definitely using one because that would be OP

but, given the other ability, Heatproof, makes you take the hit for lower damage, I'd say you have to take it

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
One of the major NPCs better be an old lady with a dress (or coat) that changes colors depending on the day

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Licarn posted:

To think Kantonians hunted ducks to almost extinction while Galarians have sentient dessert.

The sentient dessert makes more dessert so there's a lot of incentive to keep Alcremie alive, killing them would be like killing a cow for its milk.

Meanwhile, Farfetch'd is basically a walking soup mix so yeah you want that tasty duck meat you gotta kill em'.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Alright, I'm baffled with their decision to only let some members of a given Pokémon species use Gigantamax. Why? :psypop:

Pokémon has always had an issue where you're encouraged to dispose of inferior individual Pokémon for competitive play because of the wrong IVs, ability, nature, etc, but the average player won't notice it or experience a detrimental effect on their single player campaign. But gating Gigantamax like this makes it a problem for all players, casual or hardcore. Mega evolutions and Z-Moves didn't have these restrictions. Everyone got a fair shot at using the hot new gimmick introduced in that generation, with no need to discard unfit Pokémon.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

if it just eats the attack I'm definitely using one because that would be OP

but, given the other ability, Heatproof, makes you take the hit for lower damage, I'd say you have to take it

well, at least it's on a type that resists one of the types that's affected by it, so it's not as useless as Water Compaction.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mizuti posted:

Alright, I'm baffled with their decision to only let some members of a given Pokémon species use Gigantamax. Why? :psypop:

It would make some sense if the Gigantamax flag is an Ability, I guess. Maybe Gigantamaxing is Pikachu's new Hidden Ability, and Lightning Rod is its second regular Ability now.

There's precedent for Ability-limited forms with Ash-Greninja's Battle Bond.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 9, 2019

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

I'm pretty much expecting to be the indicator for if a pokemon can gigantamax to be solely if it has been caught in a raid

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It's not because the site lists possible abilities for the Gigantamaxed Pokemon. Like, they list two options, so it's not even "oh, they get it when they transform".

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Really feeling conflicted here because I don't like inanimate thing Pokemon or food Pokemon but that little strawberry cream thing looks neat.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

absolutely anything posted:

even if all the pokemon were in calling sw/sh the coolest looking game to date is nutso

New trainers and gym leaders look awesome, starters are all solid, Wooloo exists, Dynamaxing and giant raids are gonna be cool and fun, and Wild Area looks like it'll be fun to navigate with a bike that glides on water. There's so much to like here! It's gonna be the best Pokémon game.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Polderjoch posted:

This coal unicycle is so weird and dumb I love it, it's probably my favourite Gen 8 design so far.

The motorcycle helmet-like face covering its right eye is just :3:

It’s a very good gen for Pokémon who roll :3:

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Takoluka posted:

New trainers and gym leaders look awesome, starters are all solid, Wooloo exists, Dynamaxing and giant raids are gonna be cool and fun, and Wild Area looks like it'll be fun to navigate with a bike that glides on water. There's so much to like here! It's gonna be the best Pokémon game.

Source your quotes

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

legendary articuno, mythical hoopa unbound

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
hoopa unbound was my favorite dragonball movie

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Mizuti posted:

Pokémon has always had an issue where you're encouraged to dispose of inferior individual Pokémon for competitive play because of the wrong IVs, ability, nature, etc, but the average player won't notice it or experience a detrimental effect on their single player campaign. But gating Gigantamax like this makes it a problem for all players, casual or hardcore. Mega evolutions and Z-Moves didn't have these restrictions. Everyone got a fair shot at using the hot new gimmick introduced in that generation, with no need to discard unfit Pokémon.
with bottlecaps and whatnot, I'd hoped we were moving towards a "even pokemon that aren't as good can be made better through the power of Hard Work™" future, with it gradually improving over time - an NPC who did something similar with the stat boost from abilities, someone who could re-roll your Hidden Power type, etc. etc.

and then they just arbitrarily did this, for seemingly no reason

granted, it's something that's immediately visible if you try to catch it in a raid, so you can just reset the encounter ad infinitum until you get one, and this gimmick will most likely be tossed in the trash next gen anyways so whatever, but it's still a little baffling.

can't wait to stumble across a shiny acremie or something that inevitably won't have the gigantamax flag :suicide:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

qnqnx posted:

Source your quotes
I, too, cannot imagine people enjoying something I'm not personally into

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I suppose one way to make it "easier" to obtain a gigantimax Pokémon would be if you bred individuals who can do this, then offspring would be guaranteed to be able to as well. Kind of like how Dusk form Lycanroc can only produce Own Tempo Rockruff, which can only evolve into other Dusk form Lycanroc.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Amppelix posted:

I, too, cannot imagine people enjoying something I'm not personally into

There's enjoyment and then there's being a living ad.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

qnqnx posted:

There's enjoyment and then there's being a living ad.
oh no, someone excited about new features in the new pokemon game in the pokemon thread, god, what a shill

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What's everyone's favorite final stage of each starter type?

Feraligatr, Decidueye and Mega Charizard Y

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Typhlosion is my son.

All the Gen 8 pokes are good

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Swampert, Primarina, and Empoleon are the only acceptable answers.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

All the starters are good. However, the Gen 2 starters rank the lowest and Gen 5 as second lowest.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Primarina/Charizard/uh, whatever Grookey's final form ends up being

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Zuzie posted:

All the starters are good. However, the Gen 2 starters rank the lowest and Gen 5 as second lowest.
this is factually correct. they're the only generations where I'm tempted to replace my starter pokemon.

overall starter quality best to worst:
7 > 4 > 3 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 2

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Gen 5 is the only generation where I had and appreciated all starters, and I'll remember that fondly.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

qnqnx posted:

Gen 5 is the only generation where I had and appreciated all starters, and I'll remember that fondly.

This is Gen 4 for me and would be Gen 3 if Sceptile had a few design tweaks. :argh:

Otherwise I like 2 starters from every gen except 5 where I like none of them.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

just listened to all of the champion themes in a row, and wow it is impressive how much Sun & Moon loving knock it out of the park.

most of them are like "oh, that's nice" with some better than others (Cynthia's is pretty good, Alder's is forgettable)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFuHp38ukyc
:swoon:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Do not insult my Fire Badger son Typhlosion. :colbert:

As for the question...

Blastoise/Venusaur/Typhlosion

Honorable mentions go out to Decidueye, Empoleon, Swampert, Greninja, Charizard.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hmm, tough one, I think Meganium, Infernape and Primarina are my picks, but I always have a hard time picking favs.

Marshadow and Giratina-O for the other question, they knock it out of the park with the Ghost legendaries.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The sprites in Crystal look a lot better than I thought they would for a 20 year old game.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Venusaur/Primarina/Blaziken here.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i like how gigantamaxing lets them lean hard into weird kaiju-ish kinda designs

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Fave starters:

Serperior, Blaziken, Greninja.

Honorable mentions go to Incineroar and Primarina. I have no second favorite grass type. Evidently I don't like grass type starters very much. :(

My favorite mythical is Zeraora. Love that zappy tiger buddy. For legendary... I'd have to give the nod to Rayquaza. I have a soft spot for him.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Sceptile, Charizard and I guess...Empoleon? I like all the base forms of Water starters and I end up being meh on their final evolutions. Greninja is okay too.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Dias posted:

I like all the base forms of Water starters and I end up being meh on their final evolutions.

This is me for fire starters. Charmander, Torchic, Tepig, and Litten are all awesome, but I don't care for their final evolutions. Charizard is alright but he's my least favorite of the Gen 1 final evos, and I just plain don't like Blaziken, Emboar or Incineroar. I'm hoping to maybe fix this a little by using them as my starters when I get to playing those respective games.

Infernape, Typhlosion and Delphox I do like though.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Mef989 posted:

This is me for fire starters. Charmander, Torchic, Tepig, and Litten are all awesome, but I don't care for their final evolutions. Charizard is alright but he's my least favorite of the Gen 1 final evos, and I just plain don't like Blaziken, Emboar or Incineroar. I'm hoping to maybe fix this a little by using them as my starters when I get to playing those respective games.

Infernape, Typhlosion and Delphox I do like though.

Combusken looks like a dick and balls you need to evolve it if you want to play and not be horny the whole time

TeenageArchipelago fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 9, 2019

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
I love that wrestling fire pig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Johnny Joestar posted:

i like how gigantamaxing lets them lean hard into weird kaiju-ish kinda designs

I kinda like that too, but also feels like the steel dragon isnt even 'complete' ntil it gigantamaxes and probably gets a neck.