Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

other people posted:

It sucks there is no way to replace one of a kind Disney artifact like that.

It's the sentimental value that can't be replaced. Very valuable for witchcraft, that was a waste of a perfectly good spell reagent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Len posted:

Did I just have the weirdest case of deja vu or have you posted this story on the forums somewhere else before?

LOL, yeah, in the GBS Boomer thread when we were mocking materialist hording.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

I've had these. They taste just like the candy, and not only do they make your tongue bleed from citric acid burns just like the candy, they'll also shred the roof of your mouth because they have some unholy coating that keeps them crunchy even if you leave the bowl and come back 2 hours later.

New Kelloggs Sour mini shards

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Nukes to Saudi A! posted:

I've had these. They taste just like the candy, and not only do they make your tongue bleed from citric acid burns just like the candy, they'll also shred the roof of your mouth because they have some unholy coating that keeps them crunchy even if you leave the bowl and come back 2 hours later.

I'm not gonna lie, this sounds great.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Nukes to Saudi A! posted:

The same palate-shredding texture as Captain Crunch?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I had to stop buying crunch berries cause I would just shovel an entire box into my mouth and my son started doing the same.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I cant reconcile sour and milk in my brain

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Very similar

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

my grandfather died on a Thursday. my grandmother, his wife of 62 years or so, had all of his poo poo cleaned out by that weekend and had a garage sale and threw out what wasnt purchased. I'm glad she let me take a couple mementos when I came to visit him a week before he passed, but the dude was a diesel mechanic with a lifetime worth of tools. I would have lived to have gotten those.

but there is not a sentimental bone in her body. i hope for her sake heaven is real because she's basically only lived to get there. she has got no use for anything earthly and I kind of admire that about her.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
If you get the chance, skip trying the sour patch ice cream

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Entorwellian posted:

Where are they buying toilet paper where its $200 per roll?

prolly from the same contractor that was charging the military $700 for a small pack of hex nuts

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Threw away grandmas Episode 1 collectors cups from KFC.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

Eat This Glob posted:

my grandfather died on a Thursday. my grandmother, his wife of 62 years or so, had all of his poo poo cleaned out by that weekend and had a garage sale and threw out what wasnt purchased. I'm glad she let me take a couple mementos when I came to visit him a week before he passed, but the dude was a diesel mechanic with a lifetime worth of tools. I would have lived to have gotten those.

but there is not a sentimental bone in her body. i hope for her sake heaven is real because she's basically only lived to get there. she has got no use for anything earthly and I kind of admire that about her.

Yeah, my mom just moved out of the house she lived in for the last ~50 years and she knew what she wanted to take (mostly books), let me take anything I wanted and just left the rest. The new owners were just gonna bulldoze the house anyway.

I have another relative who's the scrap-booking, saving every little keepsake and is the type to have a little wall ... cabinet (?) that holds like 50 1-inch-tall ceramic figures of pigs or whatever, and I would rather jump off a cliff than try to help her pack up that place. It would be like a 6 month full time job.

Don't be afraid to donate poo poo or throw it away folks. (although I do kind of wish I had kept the first several years of Nintendo Power I tossed out).

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

T-man posted:

go vegan to save the rainforests, also join one or more sabotage groups down there

driving an electric car to "help the planet" should be punishable by death

Skip the vegan part. You're gonna want that animal protein when it comes time to fight the Brazilian (and everyone else's) fascists.

jfood posted:

after the pigs got bounced from that starbucks in arizona he promptly smashed all those mugs in a fit of patriotism.

:gizz:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Malachi Constant posted:

Don't be afraid to donate poo poo or throw it away folks. (although I do kind of wish I had kept the first several years of Nintendo Power I tossed out).
I posted my Nintendo Powers to a gaming forum that someone happily paid for shipping for (I think I had the first 150-odd issues). Before I moved out of my hometown, I let my friends take all of my books they wanted, then donated the rest to the public library. Still have my comic books at my parents' place in storage, which I will probably donate somewhere as well (been meaning to look into that for the next time I visit my parents).

I miss none of this stuff, and if I ever expand from a 600' two-bedroom apartment that I share with a roommate, I won't know what the gently caress to do with all the loving space.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Warmachine posted:

Skip the vegan part. You're gonna want that animal protein when it comes time to fight the Brazilian (and everyone else's) fascists.

Eating the rich is a part of every balanced vegan diet.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
https://twitter.com/loookuhs/status/1148286727183851520?s=20

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

This is why we can't have nice things like herd immunity to measles anymore

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I want herd immunity but I don’t want to pay for it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Like yeah big pharma legitimately is trying to make people sick and sell them super-expensive poo poo to fix it, that conspiracy theory is absolutely 100% true, but also vaccinate your goddamn kids.

I've had basically this exact argument with a hippie mom friend of a friend before who's otherwise pretty reasonable and cool but who didn't get her kids vaccinated (and whose kids immediately went out and got vaccinated themselves once they were old enough thank god) and man it sure does feel awkward and uncomfortable to have to argue that this product that the comically evil companies make and that the government basically mandates everyone buy to give their kids is cool and good. At least she was kinda receptive when I told her that pharma companies actually kinda hate that they have to make vaccines, because they barely make any money on them or sometimes even lose money on them, and they prevent people from getting sick later and buying the more expensive drugs.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also a bit more in line with this thread, I found out yesterday on the radio that apparently one of the reasons opiates are used in hospitals a lot more than like, IV acetaminophen or other NSAID's that often work just as well without being addictive is because the IV versions of those drugs are apparently still under patent despite the oral versions being generically available as Tylenol for decades at this point, so a lot of hospitals have rules in place that you can't use the NSAID's too much because they're too expensive :capitalism:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
fyi vaccines are extremely cheap and the government has to force these companies to produce them because they're so unprofitable

see also: antibiotics

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Acetaminophen isn't an NSAID.

Regardless, besides the entire addiction leading to ruining your life thing, opiates actually are the most effective and least likely to cause problems in a hospital. Acetaminophen is bad for your liver, ibuprofen is bad for your kidneys, aspirin can cause bleeding or reye's syndrome but an opioid isn't going to do anything of that.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
you can also take opiates while you're pregnant, all the otc stuff is bad for a fetus

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
they do lower you tolerance to pain though, hilariously.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

they do lower you tolerance to pain though, hilariously.

Legitimate question, is that because they straight up do so chemically or is it more you get used to not feeling pain and then get real shocked when you do feel ot.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Acetaminophen isn't an NSAID.

Wait what's the one I'm thinking of then, besides ibuprofen...

e: It was naproxen I was thinking of, though the story was about acetaminophen, so whatever I was just confused

hobbesmaster posted:

Regardless, besides the entire addiction leading to ruining your life thing, opiates actually are the most effective and least likely to cause problems in a hospital. Acetaminophen is bad for your liver, ibuprofen is bad for your kidneys, aspirin can cause bleeding or reye's syndrome but an opioid isn't going to do anything of that.

I thought the data was still kinda mixed about whether or not opiates are actually better at treating pain than NSAID's, with some studies showing non-opiate treatments are really effective when given via IV and some studies showing it's basically no better than orally and orally is no better than morphine

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 18:04 on Jul 9, 2019

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

fyi vaccines are extremely cheap and the government has to force these companies to produce them because they're so unprofitable

see also: antibiotics

Yeah that's basically what I tell people, companies hate having to make them and have to be forced and if it were up to them they'd make way less of it and charge way more for it

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

galagazombie posted:

Legitimate question, is that because they straight up do so chemically or is it more you get used to not feeling pain and then get real shocked when you do feel ot.

Ask tcc they know everything about opiates and opioids

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Here's an idea:

How about if the government runs its own pharma production plants/labs to make vaccines, antibiotics, and the like, and give them to people who need them for free?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

mycomancy posted:

Here's an idea:

How about if the government runs its own pharma production plants/labs to make vaccines, antibiotics, and the like, and give them to people who need them for free?

actually youll find that is communism

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

mycomancy posted:

Here's an idea:

yes but then the factory would be inefficient without market forces trimming the fat employees

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

Ask tcc they know everything about opiates and opioids

207-563-5532 posted:

that thread owns. ican do ultimate pleasure drug all the time, its no big deal. *a year passes* sold my body again today

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

permabanned (dead)

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeF134YMoS0

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
You can't fool me, that's gotta be from the new robocop movie or something

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Straight from the tap directly to you, in a convenient lovely bottle!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ibuprofen, acetaminophen and asprin are all pretty mild painkillers because your body can't tolerate them in high doses. There are serious suggestions that acetominophen should be way more restricted than it is because it RCTs it performs only minimally better than placebo, but results in a lot of accidental deaths.

mycomancy posted:

Here's an idea:

It's not the same as this, but Japan has a somewhat similar situation and it leads to really lovely outcomes. Basically the government bans, restricts or heavily taxes medications and poo poo that aren't produced in Japan. For a lot of poo poo that isn't a problem because Japanese companies do produce it. But there are also a lot of things that Japanese companies haven't figure out how to produce, or don't produce for whatever reason. Kids in Japan get a bunch of individual vaccinations (like 12 jabs before they're 1 or some poo poo) because the combined vaccines available all over the world aren't produced there. There are a bunch of birth control meds not available there, so if the first gen ones don't agree with you then you're shot out of luck because no Japanese companies produce second gen ones. Etc.

voiceless anal fricative has issued a correction as of 20:21 on Jul 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

mycomancy posted:

Here's an idea:

lol yeah sure youd save a lot of peoples lives and reduce waste and maybe propel the species to a new strata of health and innovation but how would you profit off it? didnt think of that, did ya einstein