Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Judakel posted:

Fruit of the poisonous tree. At least you're still pure.

The only thing that you, had you any principles, should care about is the fact she lied about her ethnicity. No one can prove it was beneficial to her or not. However, I am going to say that this white woman from Oklahoma put down that she was Native American for a reason, and it wasn't because she really believed it accurately described her ethnicity. I think she believed it would help her, whether it did or not. She is either smart enough to have achieved what she has achieved in her life without help, and therefore smart enough to realize she shouldn't do that, or she isn't. You can't have it both ways.

There is no proof she lied. Her family told her she was of native decent.

Judakel posted:

The problem is that many of her "plans" fall into the same trap most of Hillary's did: they don't do enough and won't get people interested in turning out. She is a more progressive version of Hillary, but that's just saying you're a more progressive version of a 90's Republican. And she's still a warhawk, so the left has already soured on her.

Rediculous. What are the % of voters who could tell you the difference between her platform and Bernie's? 15?

Also if you're a voter who does know the difference and her wealth tax, universal pre K and 50k of debt relief for every student borrower isn't enough for you to go out and vote for her against a swiss cheese brained rapist who is setting up concentrations camps on the border, you aren't sane enough for political candidates to be able to go after your vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

mcmagic posted:

You are making the same moronic argument that dipshit republicans have against her for years with absolutely zero proof. The people who hired her at Harvard were asked about this and they said her native heritage had nothing to do with her being hired. And as we all know she's clearly a moron who would've never accomplished anything or had a good career without checking that box, right?

I'm trying to think of who I trust less than the people who handle the hiring for Harvard and I'm basically coming up with Wall Street executives and literal graverobbers. And the graverobbers at least have the decency to wait until I'm dead to pick my pocket.

At the end of the day Harvard did use her claimed identity to dodge criticism about their racist hiring policies so whether that was intentionally planned on Harvard's part or they just took advantage of the fact the Warren marked Native American on her job application is beside the point. She was proudly claiming she was Native American up until everyone called her a loving idiot for taking a DNA test and she let Harvard call her a diversity hire for a decade.

Now maybe you're ok that she provided cover for Harvard to pretend they were hiring women of color, and maybe you're ok that she's dumb enough to believe she was Native American until she was almost 70, but a lot of other people think that's a serious weakness that is going to get exploited hard, and she has shown a recurring inability to deal with these sorts of personal attacks. I guess this is where I link https://facts.elizabethwarren.com to prove how weak she is in responding.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

mcmagic posted:

Rediculous. What are the % of voters who could tell you the difference between her platform and Bernie's? 15?

Also if you're a voter who does know the difference and her wealth tax and 50k of debt relief for every student borrower isn't enough for you to go out and vote for her against a swiss cheese brained rapist who is setting up concentrations camps on the border, you aren't sane enough for political candidates to be able to go after your vote.

She lied. Pretty much everyone that sees her campaigning in the general and not pushing Medicare for All or Total Student Debt Forgiveness is going to be able to tell the difference. They can tell the difference now, which is why she is so popular with the comfortable and wealthy. Where's that breakdown of her support? Wasn't something absurd like people making one 100k? That's the benefit of a universal policy, you see. And that is precisely why Bernie's camp is working to make those distinctions.

Judakel fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 9, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

mcmagic posted:

That doesn't matter. Being Native American isn't a fun family history factoid. It's not something you can test positive for. It's being part of a living culture.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Judakel posted:

She lied. Pretty much everyone that sees her campaigning in the general and not pushing Medicare for All or Total Student Debt Forgiveness is going to be able to tell the difference. They can tell the difference now, which is why she is so popular with the comfortable and wealthy. Where's that breakdown of her support? Wasn't something absurd like people making one 100k? That's the benefit of a universal policy, you see. And that is precisely why Bernie's camp is working to make those distinctions.

I support Bernie and I agree with you about universal programs being much better and more preferable and I hope he's able to do a better job of making those distinctions more clear. That doesn't make your criticisms of her any less dumb.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

mcmagic posted:

I support Bernie and I agree with you about universal programs being much better and more preferable. That doesn't make your criticisms of her any less dumb.

Why do you support someone who lied about her ethnicity at all?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Gripweed posted:

That doesn't matter. Being Native American isn't a fun family history factoid. It's not something you can test positive for. It's being part of a living culture.

I've mentioned this before but my family has a legend about us being Native American on my father's side and I'm supposedly 1/128th Cherokee. It's bullshit and I figured out it was bullshit when I was 20. Even if that ancestor they claim existed is real, I never lived in Cherokee culture or learned the traditions or the language or spent time on a reservation or anything that would actually mark me as Cherokee. I would never ever ever mark Native American on a form because I am not Native American whether you're tracking blood quantum or not.

Warren didn't figure this out until she was 70 and it took national outcry to get it through her head that contributing a recipe to a racist cookbook does not a Native American make. And I wouldn't be surprised if she still honestly believes she's Native and is just quietly miffed that everyone else won't get on board with her on this one.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Judakel posted:

Why do you support someone who lied about her ethnicity at all?

Because I don't believe that her repeating something her family told her is a lie. Or even handling it awkwardly or having blind spots about respecting native culture.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I feel like I've argued with mcmagic about both of these points multiple times.

Warren's Native American ancestry claim was bad. You can argue about how much it matters, but it's never going to be fine or not a problem.

The Democrats have to try as hard as they can to win in 2020. "Ehh we almost got it last time, should be no problem this time" is an incredibly dangerous and arrogant attitude to take.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Warren's Native American ancestry claim was bad. You can argue about how much it matters, but it's never going to be fine or not a problem.

The Democrats have to try as hard as they can to win in 2020. "Ehh we almost got it last time, should be no problem this time" is an incredibly dangerous and arrogant attitude to take.

When I see people dismissing the Native American thing with Warren I'm reminded of how Clinton's email thing would blow over and definitely wouldn't matter in the general.

Things don't blow over if you have an opponent ready to spend a billion dollars to make sure it doesn't blow over.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Gripweed posted:

I think it was a mistake and her handling of it was a mistake but I also think it's a minor mistake and not disqualifying and nowhere close to Clinton's baggage.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Wicked Them Beats posted:

When I see people dismissing the Native American thing with Warren I'm reminded of how Clinton's email thing would blow over and definitely wouldn't matter in the general.

Things don't blow over if you have an opponent ready to spend a billion dollars to make sure it doesn't blow over.

It's mind blowing that someone could live through 2016 and now say "well I don't think it's a real scandal, therefore it doesn't matter"

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

mcmagic posted:

Because I don't believe that her repeating something her family told her is a lie. Or even handling it awkwardly or having blind spots about respecting native culture.

It is something you choose to ignore because you know someone that smart is not stupid enough to believe that bit of family lore.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Judakel posted:

It is something you choose to ignore because you know someone that smart is not stupid enough to believe that bit of family lore.

If she wins the nomination you aren't going to vote for her?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the point about warren's dumb 23 and me goof isn't that she lied about being part cherokee it's that she's easily bullied by trump

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Muppets On PCP posted:

the point about warren's dumb 23 and me goof isn't that she lied about being part cherokee it's that she's easily bullied by trump taking advice from Obama/Clinton idiots

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

mcmagic posted:

I think it was a mistake and her handling of it was a mistake but I also think it's a minor mistake and not disqualifying and nowhere close to Clinton's baggage.

It's different from Hillary's baggage. Hillary's baggage was all corrupt Washington/evil Democrat stuff. It was very easy to tap into the existing narrative about her and accurately cast her as a corrupt out of touch evil government person.

Claiming to be Native American when you aren't isn't on the level of doing a Benghazi or deleting your emails that proved you did a Benghazi. But I think it's going to be a more effective attack than you think. Because it's relatable. We all know liars. Everybody knows or has known somebody who made up poo poo about themselves. Trump could very easily spin it into a depiction of Warren as somebody who makes up stuff about herself. Which would be incredibly damaging to Warren. To win, she needs to come across as genuine, like she really cares about people and wants to improve their lives. You can say that Warren was just thoughtlessly passing on family lore, or that the "Pocahontas" moniker is racist. But that doesn't matter if Trump is able to use it as a toe hold to create an image of Warren as untrustworthy.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I think you can come up with stuff Trump can say about any of the candidates and a lot of his chuds are going to believe it.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

mcmagic posted:

If she wins the nomination you aren't going to vote for her?

No. As if that was not enough to turn someone off her, her policies don't do enough.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

You're a moron. No point taking this any further. I might as well be arguing with a thumbtack.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

mcmagic posted:

You're a moron. No point taking this any further.

Turn on your monitor. *quietly adds further insult that I think will really connect*

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

She never claimed to be a full native american, she claimed to have a little ancestry, which is very distinct, and not exactly uncommon. Other people went on to independently spin that out for their own purposes.

Like what's the argument at the end of the day? Nobody should ever acknowledge having some kind of diversity in their background? Everyone should assume some kind of racial purity?

Judakel posted:

The problem is that many of her "plans" fall into the same trap most of Hillary's did: they don't do enough and won't get people interested in turning out. She is a more progressive version of Hillary, but that's just saying you're a more progressive version of a 90's Republican. And she's still a warhawk, so the left has already soured on her.

The far left have a habit of souring on everything, including the concept of engaging with legitimate politics and even Bernie when they're not trying to work him out to be a messiah.

It's also a massive exaggeration to call her a warhawk.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

SlothfulCobra posted:

She never claimed to be a full native american, she claimed to have a little ancestry, which is very distinct, and not exactly uncommon. Other people went on to independently spin that out for their own purposes.

Like what's the argument at the end of the day? Nobody should ever acknowledge having some kind of diversity in their background? Everyone should assume some kind of racial purity?

The far left have a habit of souring on everything, including the concept of engaging with legitimate politics and even Bernie when they're not trying to work him out to be a messiah.

It's also a massive exaggeration to call her a warhawk.

The argument is that she just straight-up lied. And there is no far left, there's just the left and the center. This is legitimate politics. You're thinking of not having to engage in politics and just engaging in diplomacy. Problem solving by "negotiating" without having to stake out principles is what liberals love.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

mcmagic posted:

I think you can come up with stuff Trump can say about any of the candidates and a lot of his chuds are going to believe it.

If only there was a candidate with a track record of integrity, without unforced errors that opened themselves up to character attacks. Someone who has been consistent throughout their decades of public service.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's also a massive exaggeration to call her a warhawk*.

*Unless you are a Palestinian schoolchild or hospital patient

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Gripweed posted:

If only there was a candidate with a track record of integrity, without unforced errors that opened themselves up to character attacks. Someone who has been consistent throughout their decades of public service.

mcmagic supports Bernie, he is also votebluenomatterwho.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

You can't be #votebluenomatter who now, we don't have a candidate yet. We're in the middle of the primary, the whole point is to decide which candidate is best. Being #votebluenomatterwho now is nonsensical.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Yeah and Trump is gonna run around calling him crazy bernie or larry david and a bunch of his chuds are gonna repeat it. Who cares?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

mcmagic posted:

Yeah and Trump is gonna run around calling him crazy bernie or larry david and a bunch of his chuds are gonna repeat it. Who cares?

But Crazy Bernie is a way less effective attack. It's not an attack on his character, it's an attack on his policies. Which if anything could benefit Bernie in the general because it calls attention to his policies. "oh Bernie is so crazy, he wants you to be able to go to the doctor and get rid of your student loans, so crazy" Is not as effective as being able to call your opponent a self aggrandizing liar

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

mcmagic posted:

"Yes, I guess I am crazy for wanting everyone to have healthcare at a low cost..."

Sure beats having to fight back against a history of lying. Wonder how that worked out for Trump last time.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Gripweed posted:

But Crazy Bernie is a way less effective attack. It's not an attack on his character, it's an attack on his policies. Which if anything could benefit Bernie in the general because it calls attention to his policies. "oh Bernie is so crazy, he wants you to be able to go to the doctor and get rid of your student loans, so crazy" Is not as effective as being able to call your opponent a self aggrandizing liar

Oh Bernie calls himself a socialist BUT he has 3 houses and AN EXPENSIVE JACKET!!!!!!

If you're a republican liar you can come up with bad faith attacks against any D candidate. IDK how you can be so sure of what would be effective or not at this point.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

mcmagic posted:

Oh Bernie calls himself a socialist BUT he has 3 houses and AN EXPENSIVE JACKET!!!!!!

If you're a republican liar you can come up with bad faith attacks against any D candidate. IDK how you can be so sure of what would be effective or not at this point.

Because I have a brain between my ears? Because I have memories that go into the misty past of 2016?

Trump can spin a candidate as dishonest much more easily if they are on the record telling a pretty bad lie. And if Trump can spin his opponent as dishonest, that redounds to his benefit because he's not pretending that he's telling the truth.

Trump has already picked his message for Bernie, it's Crazy Bernie. That puts Trump in the position of arguing that Bernie's policies are crazy. Bernie is gonna stand up there and say "I will give you a job" and Trump is going to say "He's crazy, can you believe this guy?". And that's not going to work, because, as I can remember from 2016 using my incredible mind powers, People don't give a poo poo what anyone thinks is sane in politics anymore.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

mcmagic posted:

The question is: which one's stick?

Those ones don't, because Trump himself is quite wealthy. Now, lying about your heritage. Stop trying to make these things seem equivalent. Her lie should give YOU pause, but apparently you don't care and if you do you're a moron, so...

Edit: And really, Trump's only effective move is calling out politicians who lie. That's what got him elected. That's what worked.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lightning Knight posted:

This forum truly is pathetic for how much energy we expend concerning ourselves with a joke grifter candidate who is polling at 1%. “Lol crystal queen” memes are dumb but she also literally doesn’t matter. It has about as much effect as “lol giant meteor 2020” memes do.

well won't you be feeling ridiculous when the clouds from the impact crater spread across the globe

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Judakel posted:

The question is: which one's stick?

Those ones don't, because Trump himself is quite wealthy. Now, lying about your heritage. Stop trying to make these things seem equivalent. Her lie should give YOU pause, but apparently you don't care and if you do you're a moron, so...

You aren't a moron because you're bothered by anything she did. I think that is perfectly valid. Not voting for her against Trump makes you a moron.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

mcmagic posted:

You aren't a moron because you're bothered by anything she did. I think that is perfectly valid. Not voting for her against Trump makes you a moron.

Why? That's called having principles. You should try it sometime.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Judakel posted:

Why? That's called having principles. You should try it sometime.

Voting isn't self expression. It's a binary choice.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

mcmagic posted:

No it's not. There are 20+ candidates right now. How comfortable one would feel voting for them in the general is a really good metric when one is deciding who to support

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

mcmagic posted:

There are literally other people running in the general, too. Including an actual socialist. They won't win, but at least you won't be a worm. You just stand for nothing in particular except beating Trump and vague leftism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
No more talking about who you are or aren't willing to vote for in the general.