Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Played AW: Burned Over last weekend, my players really enjoyed it. The new Do Battle move was a lot of fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Demigods went live (and is already funded) which is a PbtA 'play the children of the gods in the modern setting' deal. I've seen an AP of it and it seems solid.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Dawgstar posted:

Demigods went live (and is already funded) which is a PbtA 'play the children of the gods in the modern setting' deal. I've seen an AP of it and it seems solid.

This sounds neat, are there any examples of playbooks or something for backers? I'll check out the examples of play and set it to remind me to donate until I get an idea for how it works.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heliotrope posted:

This sounds neat, are there any examples of playbooks or something for backers? I'll check out the examples of play and set it to remind me to donate until I get an idea for how it works.

Here you go. There's a link to the Quickstart at the bottom.

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017
How about City of Mist? It's setting and concepts sound really cool, but from the little I've read about the rules it seems it's PbtA + Fate fusion didn't work so well?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I have a Black Crusade hack of Dungeon World called Chaos World that I'd like to run for some friends, but it looks like a beta version of it. I can't find anything about it online, but I got it from another goon years ago so I'm hoping someone here knows about it. Were there any updates after build 11.13.2016?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Hey folks, I’ve just released a big update for Voidheart Symphony - my Persona 5-inspired game of psychonaut rebels diving into the minds of their city’s worst monsters.
In this update I’ve added:
  • More character types.
  • Tons more covenants to form.
  • Rebalanced core moves and rewritten game setup rules.
  • A means by which you can construct your own personal Velvet Room.
  • And more!
If you’re interested, you can pick up the beta for PWYW here.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Flavivirus posted:

Hey folks, I’ve just released a big update for Voidheart Symphony - my Persona 5-inspired game of psychonaut rebels diving into the minds of their city’s worst monsters.
In this update I’ve added:
  • More character types.
  • Tons more covenants to form.
  • Rebalanced core moves and rewritten game setup rules.
  • A means by which you can construct your own personal Velvet Room.
  • And more!
If you’re interested, you can pick up the beta for PWYW here.

SICK, perfect timing.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Is there a page I can go to to read what Goons think about Worlds in Peril? If I want *World, supers, and not teens.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

CitizenKeen posted:

Is there a page I can go to to read what Goons think about Worlds in Peril? If I want *World, supers, and not teens.
I haven't personally played it, but I remember going through it with another goon and having a look at the PDF for it, and it basically fell into the "DW but with different names for the moves" pitfall. It doesn't have the thematic cohesion of Masks and treats the PbtA system as a resolution system without understanding that DW specifically did it in order to emulate that old-school dungeon crawling feel.

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017
This will sound weird but... is there a Dogs in the Vineyard thread somewhere?

In case there isn't, can someone help me with this question: I've read somewhere there were rules variants that uses less dice. Do someone know where I can find it?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MizPiz posted:

I have a Black Crusade hack of Dungeon World called Chaos World that I'd like to run for some friends, but it looks like a beta version of it. I can't find anything about it online, but I got it from another goon years ago so I'm hoping someone here knows about it. Were there any updates after build 11.13.2016?

I can;t help you if Google can't, but you;'re doing the Emperor's Anarch's work here.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Are there any other PBTA games out there, besides Monster of the Week, which have at least some sort of semi-involved rules for creating threats/opponents? I'm updating/upgrading my villain rules for DBP and I could do with some sources of inspiration.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Voidheart Symphony!

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Yup, Voidheart has some of that - key threats are defined by three Qualities, packages of capabilities and reactions. As the battle goes on, players fight them by finding openings to attack those qualities and striking them away, gradually whittling down their capabilities even as the foe gets angrier and more desperate.

In completely different news, Urban Shadows 2 was just announced: was just announced. It feels like they only just got done with stretch goals from the 1e kickstarter, but I guess it’s been 5 years or so?

Flavivirus fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 3, 2019

Feb 2, 2005
I'm trying to write a move for a space setting (Using Adventures on Dungeon Planet) that I want to use to model a ship's engineer rattling off some technobabble and then setting about fixing it. I'm thinking of Geordi and Wesley gathered around a monitor in Star Trek: The Next Generation and just spouting wild sentences about "tachyon fields" and "anti-pulsar shield arrays" and then touching the hell out of some buttons.

Here's what I have so far:

When you identify a problem using technobabble, consult your favorite online technobabble generator and roll + INT.

On a 10+, announce the trouble and smirk as you quickly fix it.

On a 7-9, announce the trouble and choose 1:
- You'll need another player's crew member to help fix it.
- You'll need to divert power from a critical system.
- You figure out a temporary fix, but you'll need to dock somewhere ASAP to permanently fix it.
- You have to expose yourself to radiation, warp, or sharp metal. The MC will tell you the consequences.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

That's a good start, but my first question would be "what kinds of problems?" Your trigger phrase should be specific: "When you confront a technical or mechanical problem, spout some science words and roll +Thing."

Actually, though, I feel like it might work better to model this off the Savvyhead's workshop etc. That is, "when you want to fix a technical problem or build some tech, make up some technobabble about it and tell the MC what you want to achieve. She'll tell you what it'll take from the following list:" and then you list stuff like "you need help from Ensign Rolfball."

e: To explain why I think that, the technobabble scene in the show usually doesn't fix the problem, it introduces what needs to be done to fix it. Somebody's going to have to climb through this duct and replace this thing to realign the doodad, and it'll take a while so somebody else has to keep the Klingons distracted.

megane fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 6, 2019

Feb 2, 2005
Nice! Yes that's a better angle to attack it from. I'll take another crack at it soon.

I also have to build a custom character class for a player who wants to be Rainbow Brite so I'll probably be asking for help on that soon too.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
So there's a Apocalypse World Extended Refbook out, it mostly has a lot of the stuff Vincent made for his Patreon (the various playbooks and supplements.) It also apparently has more explanations and advice for them, and there's rules for using fronts from 1st edition updated for this edition.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Just saw the Engine of Life has been released, picked up my copy from DTRPG (too poor for the Physical yet) and excited to crack into it. It's a good reason to get the group back onto Legacy

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Spiteski posted:

Just saw the Engine of Life has been released, picked up my copy from DTRPG (too poor for the Physical yet) and excited to crack into it. It's a good reason to get the group back onto Legacy

Yup! Despite Modiphius absolutely punting on the planned Gen Con release, we’ve now put up Engine of Life and Free From the Yoke.

Engine of Life really emphasises the world-rebuilding aspect of Legacy, with rules about setting up new festivals and imagining a better future, playbooks to let you play community-builders and architects and signs of hope in the wasteland, and wonders to link settlements and spread greenery throughout the land.

Free From the Yoke, on the other hand, is a standalone medieval fantasy hack of Legacy. Inspired by Slavic myth and legend, it’s about rebuilding your nation after having finally pushed out a conquering empire. Its big twist is that, like Fellowship, the GM has a playbook. This Arbiter playbook describes the ruler of the new nation, the laws they enforce, the GM’s agenda and the ways Player Houses can exploit this government. As time goes on players can work with or against the arbiter, suffer under their rule, and rise up to overthrow them - and if they’re successful, the new arbiter can take over GMing.

I’m very proud of them, and they’re lovely books :D You ought to be able to pick them up from Modiphius, and hopefully in distribution soon.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Flavivirus posted:

Yup! Despite Modiphius absolutely punting on the planned Gen Con release, we’ve now put up Engine of Life and Free From the Yoke.

Engine of Life really emphasises the world-rebuilding aspect of Legacy, with rules about setting up new festivals and imagining a better future, playbooks to let you play community-builders and architects and signs of hope in the wasteland, and wonders to link settlements and spread greenery throughout the land.

Free From the Yoke, on the other hand, is a standalone medieval fantasy hack of Legacy. Inspired by Slavic myth and legend, it’s about rebuilding your nation after having finally pushed out a conquering empire. Its big twist is that, like Fellowship, the GM has a playbook. This Arbiter playbook describes the ruler of the new nation, the laws they enforce, the GM’s agenda and the ways Player Houses can exploit this government. As time goes on players can work with or against the arbiter, suffer under their rule, and rise up to overthrow them - and if they’re successful, the new arbiter can take over GMing.

I’m very proud of them, and they’re lovely books :D You ought to be able to pick them up from Modiphius, and hopefully in distribution soon.
Was I supposed to get DTRPG codes for them, same as for the previous Worlds of Legacy? I backed Legacy 2e through Pledge Manager in March '18, the full digital tier.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Foglet posted:

Was I supposed to get DTRPG codes for them, same as for the previous Worlds of Legacy? I backed Legacy 2e through Pledge Manager in March '18, the full digital tier.

Yup, I’ll check up with Modiphius what’s going on with that.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

When I bought Rhapsody and the God one through Modi I only got links for their shop, not Drive thru. Didn't realise I was supposed to get DT links

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Angrymog posted:

When I bought Rhapsody and the God one through Modi I only got links for their shop, not Drive thru. Didn't realise I was supposed to get DT links

This is talking about original kickstarter backers for the Legacy 2e campaign, who were promised PDF links on DriveThru. Sorry!

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Flavivirus posted:

This is talking about original kickstarter backers for the Legacy 2e campaign, who were promised PDF links on DriveThru. Sorry!

Didn't realise, sorry

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Speaking of Legacy, what's the opinion of Godsend? Any advice for running it?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

so other then Dungeon World (which I understand has issues when you get really rolling with it), what are great fantasy PbtA hacks? I am going to be running a game for 5 friends, four of which will be new to p&p gaming in general and one who is a 3.5 d&d veteran but interested in more narrative systems.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Fellowship is really the premier fantasy PbtA.

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...

Zikan posted:

so other then Dungeon World (which I understand has issues when you get really rolling with it), what are great fantasy PbtA hacks? I am going to be running a game for 5 friends, four of which will be new to p&p gaming in general and one who is a 3.5 d&d veteran but interested in more narrative systems.

Yeah, Fellowship rules. It gives players a lot of control over building their particular corner of the setting, it has some of my favorite playbooks in any PbtA game, it lets you defeat enemies with intelligence and charm (and turn them into friends and followers), it has mushroom orcs, and the structure of the game is very easy to understand for people who aren't familiar with RPG tropes -- it's Lord of the Rings, Avatar, Final Fantasy, Legend of Zelda, etc.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Zikan posted:

You might also check out one of the more fantasy inclined hacks of Legacy (e.g. Free from the Yoke, perhaps Rhapsody of Blood), although they definitely have more specific flavor than Dungeon World's "D&D but, yanno, storygame-y). Maybe something like The Sword, The Crown, and the Unspeakable Power, or the Apocalypse World fantasy hack Vincent did (Fallen Empires, maybe?) albeit that was never fully fleshed out to my knowledge and I don't know for sure how far SCUP got. Also, it ended up pretty far afield from PBTA-as-such, but Blades in the Dark is great in some similar ways, has PBTA roots, and a couple of other fantasy hacks either finished or in progress if your players don't want to run a gang of criminals or vigilantes (or cops - I think the Bluecoats hack is done).

Honestly, there doesn't seem to be a lot of specifically fantasy PBTA hacks, I suspect because Dungeon World got so popular that if people want to write fantasy PBTA content they just write for or hack Dungeon World most of the time.

(And yes, Fellowship is great. Just wanted to present a few other alternatives.)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Even with all the D&D baggage and Defy Danger, DW itself with a good selection of 3rd party playbooks is a good game. In fact, a lot of its appeal these days is all the 3rd party goodies on DTRPG and various websites. Itjust not best of breed for fantasy PbtA anymore.

Free From The Yoke looks great. I'm working on a Legacy hack about refugees from an oppressive empire building societies in free space, so this looks like good material to crib from.

And is there really no print option for Legacy 2e itself on DTRPG ? All I saw was a PDF option.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

mllaneza posted:

Even with all the D&D baggage and Defy Danger, DW itself with a good selection of 3rd party playbooks is a good game. In fact, a lot of its appeal these days is all the 3rd party goodies on DTRPG and various websites. Itjust not best of breed for fantasy PbtA anymore.

Free From The Yoke looks great. I'm working on a Legacy hack about refugees from an oppressive empire building societies in free space, so this looks like good material to crib from.

And is there really no print option for Legacy 2e itself on DTRPG ? All I saw was a PDF option.

The economics didn't work out for Print on Demand, but the book should be available to order from game shops, my website or the Modiphius website!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Also, it's pretty easy to re-skin Apocalypse World itself into a fantasy genre. Often it involves little more than changing the weapon options. I run a re-skinned version of AW done in a sort of Viking-themed setting all the time. The Gunlugger becomes the Huscarl, the Skinner becomes the Skald, the Battlebabe becomes the Shieldmaiden, and so on. This is a "serial numbers barely filed off" kind of hack, and works like a charm.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

See also Fallen Empires, which is almost literally a find-replace of AW, and is set in a Dark-Souls-esque medieval apocalypse setting.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Hey, just thought you folks might like to know that a Legacy Bundle of Holding just went live! You can get the core game, art book and soundtrack for $9.95, or beat the threshold price (currently $19.97) to get 5 other settings/hacks of the game.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
The Burned Over hack for Apocalypse World is now out, if any of you are interested in it. It's 75 pages by itself, and changes the game in some really interesting ways.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Heliotrope posted:

The Burned Over hack for Apocalypse World is now out, if any of you are interested in it. It's 75 pages by itself, and changes the game in some really interesting ways.

Like?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

There's a "changelog" at the top of it, which I guess I could post, but here's a few I noticed:

• They cut out the sex moves and swearing, and cut back a bit on the physical violence -- several of the core moves got rewritten to let the participants choose less-shooty outcomes. For instance, a 10+ on confront someone (i.e. go aggro) now says "they have to choose: back down and give you your way, defy you and fight back, or else submit to your mercy and ask you to reconsider."
  • The area everyone's in is now known as a Hard Zone, and there are a bunch of examples with lists of local locations. Also, several things now tie more closely into the map; the Medic (Angel) gets a refuge to heal people in, the Operator chooses several places on the map as "ports of call" where they can get stuff and support, things like that.
  • The Hot stat is gone, replaced with Aggro. Aggro is used for confronting people, while persuading got rolled into Cool.
  • The playbooks all got reworked, fused, etc. The Monarch, for instance, is like a fusion of the Hocus, Skinner, and Chopper, and you get to choose what your followers are from a big list -- children, bikers, cultists, advisors, etc. There are a few all-new playbooks, too.
  • The other big mechanical add-on is "gamechangers" which are basically season advances from Monsterhearts; i.e. when somebody has five advances they can unlock the gamechanger. These do things like cycle the GM, or move the whole game to a different setting.

Personally I'm glad they removed the sex stuff; I'm fine with it personally but it makes the game sort of awkward to introduce to new people. "Hey, let's play this game, it's like Mad Max, you can be a cool post-apoc warlord and- Uh, yes, that is a move about what happens when you gently caress someone, printed right in the middle of your character sheet, yes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

megane posted:

Personally I'm glad they removed the sex stuff; I'm fine with it personally but it makes the game sort of awkward to introduce to new people. "Hey, let's play this game, it's like Mad Max, you can be a cool post-apoc warlord and- Uh, yes, that is a move about what happens when you gently caress someone, printed right in the middle of your character sheet, yes."
I routinely run AW or re-skins thereof at convention games and have never had anyone even bat an eye at the sex moves.