Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Reigen is great and Mob is probably just my favorite anime, but most of the good Reigen development and characterization doesn't kick in for a little while, and I'd say the best of it is in season 2 and beyond.

It's very much a series with long, earned character growth, so the early eps can feel a bit weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
reigen owns deal with it

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Please don't let other people ruin your enjoyment of things

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Reigen is meant to come across as a shithead that takes advantage of Mob at first if you go by the manga, which is probably why they moved their first meeting to the first eps of the anime. In that scene he's at first "playing along" with Mob thinking he's a sad kid with delusions that needs a real friend, because that makes him much more palatable. It still takes a few more eps until you can see how much of a positive influence he is on Mob's life at which point he's a full-on lovable rogue.

I'm allergic to hype so I'm glad I experienced the first chunk of the series by myself then started reading the thread.

But yeah nthing that you're missing out imo, if it didn't grab you at first and all the gushing about the series made that super disappointing then give it another chance. It won me over, maybe it'll do the same for you. If you like ONE's humor and the insane love for the craft of Murata's, Bones does the same.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

You can like a character even if they do lovely things. Just look at all the popular villains in literally all forms of media. It's weird how this thread treats Reigen as some sort of exception sometimes. I swear this is the second or third time we've had this exact discussion.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Well it's not just this thread. Mob Psycho didn't have nearly the same cross-demographic popularity penetration as One Punch Man did and that's probably because the first few eps are not very strong (I only watched episode 1 and it turned me off the series entirely because the humor just fell completely flat to me)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think OPM is more popular because superheroes are popular and more comedy-oriented, makes for an easier buy-in. MPO is the better series but it's a bit out there.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yeah, opm has a pretty strong first episode while MP100's first episode is easily its weakest. that's a pretty big deal if we're talking about why someone might really enjoy one but bounce off the other.

EDIT: ^ i think both these things are a factor

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MP0 is all about people becoming their best selves, and that also includes Reigen, but that's not the most sensational pitch compared to "guy is capable of defeating anything in one punch (if he feels like it)"

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

TheLoneStar posted:

You can like a character even if they do lovely things. Just look at all the popular villains in literally all forms of media. It's weird how this thread treats Reigen as some sort of exception sometimes. I swear this is the second or third time we've had this exact discussion.
It's the flavor of lovely thing he does that sets people off.

Just like any other flavor of lovely thing that a character does. Some people just can't/won't handle it no matter what.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Reigen as a conman does more honest good deeds than 99.9% of all other characters in other shows. And that’s a hard lesson for people to learn.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
OPM is great because its about a character who wants to grow so badly but can't be bothered to try and is overpowered as gently caress
Mob Psycho is great because its about a character who wants to grow so badly and makes a sincere effort and is overpowered as gently caress

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheLoneStar posted:

It's not that he's an "exception", it's that his particular shittiness was not entertaining to a lot of people. Conman Reigen is amusing, but "Profits off Mob's abilities while not paying him (and explicitly being a factor towards Mob's 'explosion')" Reigen is just an rear end in a top hat.

Which is something I think hasn't been brought up, actually. People pointed out that it takes a while before we see how Reigen's been a good influence on Mob, but the end of the first episode has him being a negative influence on Mob's emotional state. It's the last thing in the episode, even, contributing to the feeling that Reigen being a bad mentor is going to be a major part of the show. Which, thankfully, it isn't, but it's what I was expecting, and part of why I wasn't that excited as I continued watching.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
OPM and MP100 are both superficially about deeply unhappy people who are overpowered as gently caress, but one is a satire of the shonen battle genre that's really about what it means to be a hero and the other is an earnest coming of age story that's about facing your emotions. I get people liking one and not the other, especially with the constant MP100 hype.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I gravitate towards OPM over MP100 because I do enjoy the older characters. Not a smack against Mob but I grow tired of young adult and child protagonists so it's nice seeing some adults as main characters. Plus Saitama is so jaded and chill compared to many protagonists that I can't help but like him. He doesn't treat everything as MOST IMPORTANT EVER plot points. He's got sincere (and crazy) associates to do that for him.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 5, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Roland Jones posted:

Which is something I think hasn't been brought up, actually. People pointed out that it takes a while before we see how Reigen's been a good influence on Mob, but the end of the first episode has him being a negative influence on Mob's emotional state. It's the last thing in the episode, even, contributing to the feeling that Reigen being a bad mentor is going to be a major part of the show. Which, thankfully, it isn't, but it's what I was expecting, and part of why I wasn't that excited as I continued watching.
Mob's % meter going up isn't inherently good or bad, but a visual example of him bottling up any and all emotions for fear of losing control until he can't take it anymore and has to let it all out. And sometimes he lets out good emotions! The % ticking up when Reigen gets more meat in his ramen isn't making Mob worse, but a sign that Mob wants to say something about but doesn't

Dr Subterfuge posted:

OPM and MP100 are both superficially about deeply unhappy people who are overpowered as gently caress, but one is a satire of the shonen battle genre that's really about what it means to be a hero and the other is an earnest coming of age story that's about facing your emotions. I get people liking one and not the other, especially with the constant MP100 hype.
a very rude part of me wants to say that if you can't enjoy the earnest deconstruction, than just liking the satire feels kinda hosed up.

Also as other people have said, OPM is hardly a satire anymore. It's just being an action series.

One that as a reocurring joke of the main character being bored of being in one until it goes back to being one

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 5, 2019

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Murata didn't redraw MP100 so it still has jokes. There, I just sold everyone on the fence about it on the manga and anime.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Murata NOT redrawing something is a very bad sales ptch

possibly the worst in the history of all that has been and ever will be

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
A Murata redraw of Mob would be.....interesting. I wouldn't want it, but like, I'd read it.

tho So much of what makes the Mob anime work is the simpleness of the source material, allowing for way more fluid animation. Like there's a scene where Reigen is expressing and animating so much that his features devolve into squiggles that just spell his own name, and that feels like it would be impossible to animate in the Murata style.

I will say that there was a refreshing quality to when the webcomic updated again, like "oh man these jokes are paced a lot better"

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Expect My Mom posted:

a very rude part of me wants to say that if you can't enjoy the earnest deconstruction, than just liking the satire feels kinda hosed up.

Also as other people have said, OPM is hardly a satire anymore. It's just being an action series.

One that as a reocurring joke of the main character being bored of being in one until it goes back to being one

I debated about putting in a caveat that OPM isn't all that satirical anymore. It's definitely more of an action comedy at this point. So yeah, fair.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

I think the point is that the two fictional works are not identical, or even all that similar beyond a base superficial level, and thus it's pretty obvious that some people will like one more than the other, or even not enjoy one entirely.

This insistence that if you enjoy OPM, you MUST enjoy MP100 as well or you're crazy is kind of offputting. People can have different opinions.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

ninjewtsu posted:

I think the point is that the two fictional works are not identical, or even all that similar beyond a base superficial level, and thus it's pretty obvious that some people will like one more than the other, or even not enjoy one entirely.

This insistence that if you enjoy OPM, you MUST enjoy MP100 as well or you're crazy is kind of offputting. People can have different opinions.

Yeah, that's what I was going for. I do actually like MP100 more than OPM, but they way some people gush about it is silly.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 6, 2019

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ninjewtsu posted:

i have some questions about what you think the difference is between a character you enjoy seeing in a fictional work and a person you'd like to hang out with

This is because the first episode gives the impression that the premise of the show is about a conman who takes advantage of a high school kid with psychic powers and the comedy is from all the ways he manages to keep the kid fooled while making money until the kid invariably explodes from bottling his emotions in.

I can't imagine anyone normal would find so much enjoyment to call MP100 the best show ever if it was a comedy about some guy taking advantage of a clueless kid.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think even the hypothetical of someone enjoying something that actually is that premise is actually enough to consider them a sociopath or even particular maladjusted, rather than perhaps simply having tastes differing from yours

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ninjewtsu posted:

My very personal subjective order of preference is the original OPM > MP100 > Murata's OPM, although I like all of them, and I like MP100 more than many other mangas I like by sometimes a significant margin, but yeah I'm nthing that I find the way people gush over it is extremely annoying at times.

Kintamarama
Oct 3, 2013
Why did Garo's hair become orange in the cartoon?

E: spelling

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I was shaky on the new animation for the show at first like everyone else, but they really pulled out all the stops for the Garou ambush and ensuing fights. That was probably my favorite fight in the show so far and it definitely lived up to the manga.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Kintamarama posted:

Why did Garo's hair become orange in the cartoon?

Happens in the comic, too, you just can't see it.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
He rubbed his blood all over it

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Was watching season 1 again and still get a laugh out of Saitama punching Boros the first time and asking, "Are you stupid?"

Kintamarama
Oct 3, 2013
I just read the comic, it's clear in the comic he rubs his blood into his hair.

Having watched the cartoon first, I didn't make the connection as his hair is suddenly orange, you don't see him rub it or anything, and also because it's orange I naturally didn't think it was blood, I was just like, "So, his hairs orange now?".

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Anime viewers just need to pause the episode, watch the full Cody vs Dustin Rhodes at Double or Nothing match and resume the episode for the full experience.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Kintamarama posted:

Having watched the cartoon first, I didn't make the connection as his hair is suddenly orange, you don't see him rub it or anything,
He does run his fingers through his hair, but it doesn't show that changing the color immediately so it's easy to miss the connection.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 8, 2019

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

I had assumed he was starting to turn into a monster. My theory is that all the monsters used to be people. If you are a car loving rear end in a top hat eventually that can manifest into turning into a car monster. It's my theory on why saitama is so strong. He set no limit for himself so he keeps getting stronger and stronger.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Xinlum posted:

I had assumed he was starting to turn into a monster. My theory is that all the monsters used to be people. If you are a car loving rear end in a top hat eventually that can manifest into turning into a car monster. It's my theory on why saitama is so strong. He set no limit for himself so he keeps getting stronger and stronger.

Not every monster is originally human. There are "natural" monsters such as the Subterraneans, Sea King and his minions, and the explicit aliens such as Boros.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

skaianDestiny posted:

Not every monster is originally human. There are "natural" monsters such as the Subterraneans, Sea King and his minions, and the explicit aliens such as Boros.

Also, animals that turn into monsters, like that cat.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Don't forget about VaccineMan and the Mosquito girl.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Looks like today is discount day!

https://i.imgur.com/Nn0YezJ.gifv

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I love that Caped Baldy's costume is so awful that it makes near perfect cosplay very easy.

He also doesn't fly, so you could even believe that he'd use one of those stupid bird scooters to get around to a sale.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

skaianDestiny posted:

Plus the True Monsters, like the Vampire that Zombieman fought.