Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

infernal machines posted:

problem: matrix is insufficiently punk

solution: poorly xeroxed photos of the faces of the groups you are thinking of excluding, get loving ripped on mouthwash and throw knives at them

yes

or loving up the entire parade with a demand that police can gently caress off is also acceptable

grading organizations with points in a committee to see if they can march is absolutely asinine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
What exactly are they protesting when the prime misister is protesting with them?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
If you're marching in something with the pm, you aren't protesting, you're campaigning.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

RBC posted:

grading organizations with points in a committee to see if they can march is absolutely asinine

:agreed:

If you want UBC to gently caress off then tell them to gently caress off, you don't need a justification

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Postess with the Mostest posted:

What exactly are they protesting when the prime misister is protesting with them?

Ask the pride organizers?

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

flakeloaf posted:

:agreed:

If you want UBC to gently caress off then tell them to gently caress off, you don't need a justification

ah, i see you've definitely won any court case at all before

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

autism ZX spectrum posted:

My girlfriend's dad grew up in B.C and he was telling me these guys did some domestic terrorism too, blowing up bridges and making explosives. When he was growing up he said there was a joke where you'd hold up your hand with the index finger and thumb tucked away (to look like they're missing) and go "look at me! I'm a doukhobor!!"

I've heard this exact story before and my friend who'd go up to the colony swears up and down he'd get stared at by the girls and their old men when he was there. Also apparently when guys went up to do work or something on the colony, supposedly the girls would all be lined up by the side of the road and you'd pick one.

Apparently their cult leader visited from Russia and was killed by dynamite while riding a train on the Kettle valley railway. Due to the insularity of the group and a universal we dont talk to cops mentality (great philosophy, really), they never found out who did it.

If I was driving in Castelgar and saw women lined up on a road with weird old timey dressed elders eyeing me approvingly, I would assume I would be murdered within 2 hours. Way too horror movie.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

If you're marching in something with the pm, you aren't protesting, you're campaigning.

There are so many selfie ops that I think youd have to beat Justin away with a stick for him to not jump in with a perfectly appropriate costume.

Thanks to the first person who shared the Trudeau down the stairs thing it makes me laugh so hard.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
Vancouver Pride sucks rear end for reasons other than banning UBC.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
I hope this bites them in the rear end

https://twitter.com/CineplexMovies/status/1148305686423592960

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
as always I subject myself to pain and read the thread and everyone arguing about this being an issue of freedom of speech and censorship and die some more

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm trying to parse why it' s happening in the first place. Or more specifically what the public spin on it is. The movie is old. Way gone from theaters. Why is it being brought to Canada now? Why is it only being shown for one week, with such few theaters?

It's not an important film. It's made up of lies and mistakes.

I realize the real reason is that CEO got paid $$ and probably either hates or is neutral on women's rights. But how do you spin it to the public that this movie needs to be given a chance?

I have a staunch Catholic friend from high school and we were talking about abortion and hypocritical Christians. He hates that people look down on religion, as he states he loves everyone. He may not agree with everyone's choices (abortion) but he will still love them. To which I asked if the PC's get control and "open the debate" again on abortion, that I could count on his support fighting to make sure that doesn't happen. After all, he's not a hypocritical Christian and loves everyone, right?
Yeah, he wouldn't give an answer.

gently caress.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Eox posted:

ah, i see you've definitely won any court case at all before

Comes now the expert on who's allowed to attend an invitation-only function

They happen to have a good reason. They just don't need one. It's an LGBT+ space, they welcome their own first and institutions don't have gender identity.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

I'm trying to parse why it' s happening in the first place. Or more specifically what the public spin on it is. The movie is old. Way gone from theaters. Why is it being brought to Canada now? Why is it only being shown for one week, with such few theaters?

It's not an important film. It's made up of lies and mistakes.

I realize the real reason is that CEO got paid $$ and probably either hates or is neutral on women's rights. But how do you spin it to the public that this movie needs to be given a chance?

IMDB says it was made in 2019; Vox says it was released in March, based on a book from 2011. "It's timely" is about the only defence they have.

Why this one's in theatres and dozens of months-old art flicks that are both objectively better films and not predicated on spreading dangerous bullshit... :shrug:

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Canada, as always, is a few years behind the US. Our anti-abortion movement is emboldened by the one down south and wants what theyre getting in the US South. The fundementalists Harper kept muzzled are seeing what they can get away with under Sheer and are liking the results.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
isn't scheer also 100% anti-abortion?

he ain't gonna muzzle poo poo

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Well, I did enjoy going to the movies. I guess that'll be the end of that until Cineplex isn't the only game in town.

I can stomach a lot of propaganda in film, but with the poo poo that's going on in the US, this is too much. I do not want that poo poo happening here and any suggestion of it should be swiftly rejected as the utter bullshit it is.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Take the statement at face value and he almost has a point: It's not up to the theatre to suppress the message, that's why we have ratings boards and regulators. It shouldn't be on a content carrier to say "We don't like this so therefore you shouldn't see it". Radio stations run into the same problem when they run paid ads for anti-abortion wackaloons.

The difference here is that the airwaves are a public trust and the cinema is a for-profit corporation that makes the decisions that'll get it paid, and nothing sells tickets like a controversy :suspense:. There might be a moral stance in there somewhere, but priority zero is always the money

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
its also on 14 screens for a week. it'll make approximately $200 and in all likeliness lose money for cineplex because they could have been replaying How to Train Your Dragon 4

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
what kind of snacks are smuggled in to an anti abortion film? werthers originals? beef jerky? (NO TERIYAKI FLAVOUR!)

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

RBC posted:

any protest that uses a matrix to decide who can participate isn't much of a protest at all

Unless you're talking about the http://riot.im kind of matrix

I bet people who use that are pretty hardcore

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

SubnormalityStairs posted:

Well, I did enjoy going to the movies. I guess that'll be the end of that until Cineplex isn't the only game in town.

I can stomach a lot of propaganda in film, but with the poo poo that's going on in the US, this is too much. I do not want that poo poo happening here and any suggestion of it should be swiftly rejected as the utter bullshit it is.

its not just cineplex

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Dammit Landmark

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Such liberal feminist strongholds as K-W and Brandon, MB.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

Yeah KW is pretty weird.

Also lol @ like only northern francophone NB

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

gently caress, of course it's coming to winnipeg.

I wonder how sold out it will be in Steinbach and Winkler though.

Funny I tweeted landmark asking if they were idiotic enough to show the film too or if they cared about women's rights. No wonder they didn't get back to me.

I realize, as someone said, it's only a week and in select theaters. But the fact that a movie this erroneous, this biased in a time where critical thinking is down and fascism is going up, we really don't need this poo poo. And the fact a movie that's been done in theaters for awhile is only now coming for one week to select theaters says A) let's wring the $$ out of the religious nuts and B) gently caress women.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

gently caress, of course it's coming to winnipeg.

I wonder how sold out it will be in Steinbach and Winkler though.

Funny I tweeted landmark asking if they were idiotic enough to show the film too or if they cared about women's rights. No wonder they didn't get back to me.

I realize, as someone said, it's only a week and in select theaters. But the fact that a movie this erroneous, this biased in a time where critical thinking is down and fascism is going up, we really don't need this poo poo. And the fact a movie that's been done in theaters for awhile is only now coming for one week to select theaters says A) let's wring the $$ out of the religious nuts and B) gently caress women.

yeah it's bad in general, the money doesn't really matter, I'm just musing about the financials. If any amount of outrage counts as free publicity for the event and theatre chains aren't willing to back down because of it, maybe harping on the fact that this event lost/will lose a shitload of money and actually cost cash-strapped theatre chains to put on this stupid dog and pony show will make them second guess future events. All because they assumed a bunch of twitter chuds gloating about HOW MAD >.< this makes the left will translate into ticket sales

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I can't help but think the timing has something to do with elections. Get the conservative base really riled up and angry and they won't be as open to liberal platforms.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I'm sure if we all came together and made some radical marxist movie about purging landlords it would get mainstream theater circulation. This is definitely apolitical and all about fair play.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Virtual Russian posted:

I'm sure if we all came together and made some radical marxist movie about purging landlords it would get mainstream theater circulation. This is definitely apolitical and all about fair play.

Sorry to bother you but that already exists

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I don't know that I'd call a movie about organizing all that radical, maybe by todays standards, but even still. Organized Labour isn't really a parallel to abortion rights imo. Advocating for unions doesn't require overturning laws, human rights, or supreme court rulings. Abortion would. Getting rid of landlords, while just, would require changing laws.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/attawapiskat-water-quality-emergency-1.5204652

quote:

The Attawapiskat band council in northern Ontario has declared a state of emergency after tests showed tap water had potentially harmful levels of trihalomethanes (THMs) and haloacetic acids (HAAs) byproducts of the disinfection process created when chlorine interacts with high levels of organic materials in the community's water source.

https://twitter.com/cathmckenna/status/1146851238472032261

quote:

Catherine Mary McKenna PC MP (born August 5, 1971) is a Canadian Liberal politician, who was elected to represent the riding of Ottawa Centre in the House of Commons of Canada in the 2015 federal election. She was appointed as Minister of Environment and Climate Change in the Cabinet, headed by Justin Trudeau, on November 4, 2015.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
But it's not a boil water advisory (because you can't boil it out of the water), political promise still holding! :smug:

So far it's been mostly short-term fixes rather than long-term solutions for reserve water supplies. They may be faster to respond now but it's still kicking the can down the road, very much in line with current Canadian climate change plans.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Your water's dirty. We cleaned it, now it's toxic. YW.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

if demographics keep shifting the way they are brandon, the actual urban area will probably be a solid liberal/left riding for awhile. i cant come up with a defense for the rest of rural manitoba though

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Sage Grimm posted:

But it's not a boil water advisory (because you can't boil it out of the water), political promise still holding! :smug:

So far it's been mostly short-term fixes rather than long-term solutions for reserve water supplies. They may be faster to respond now but it's still kicking the can down the road, very much in line with current Canadian climate change plans.

welcome to governance in the 21st century. run deficits and claim the cupboard is bare and debt is climbing and avoid making any major capital investments to government infrastructure. when it gets to bad tell the public that only private investors can fix it and sell everything off to your very best friends and donors

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
brb gonna make a holocaust denial movie, then bitch that movie theatres aren't showing it until I can raise 3 million dollars from my credulous followers

wouldn't be a bad idea to print out articles like this and hand them out at the cinemas:

https://www.salon.com/2019/04/12/unplanned-and-shameless-hit-anti-abortion-movie-is-a-total-right-wing-grift/

quote:

Without batting an eyelash, Johnson will claim she heard an abortion doctor say, "Children should be allowed to be killed by their parents up to 24 months after birth," a lie so transparent that it's difficult to imagine any of her followers actually believe it. Maybe they pretend to believe it as an act of group solidarity, but that's a different thing.

Johnson, as the movie chronicles, is a former employee of a Planned Parenthood clinic in Bryan, Texas, who claims she was converted to the anti-choice cause after seeing an ultrasound-guided abortion performed in her clinic. She now makes a living writing books and giving handsomely compensated speeches to anti-abortion zealots, selling them a story they want desperately to hear: That Planned Parenthood isn't a nonprofit reproductive health clinic at all, but more like a sleazy organization that is trying to "sell" more abortions because they're so profitable. (Cue scary music and evil laughter.)

The truth is, unsurprisingly, a lot murkier than that. As Texas Monthly reported in 2010 when Johnson was ramping up her career as a professional anti-choice activist, two of her former co-workers at Planned Parenthood "testified that she told them in the days before she resigned that she was afraid she was about to be fired." This happened during a court battle in which Planned Parenthood tried to recover confidential files the organization claimed Johnson had stolen. According to Planned Parenthood officials, Johnson had been put on a "performance review plan" -- often the first step toward firing an ineffective employee -- just three days before her miraculous conversion.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
They would just say it isnt real and that you wanna kill babies because youre a satanist

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Both of those things can be true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

if demographics keep shifting the way they are brandon, the actual urban area will probably be a solid liberal/left riding for awhile. i cant come up with a defense for the rest of rural manitoba though

I joined my town's Facebook page for the lol drama but have just been seeing a bunch of people getting hard fantasizing about shooting people who look in their parked cars for change at night.

very sad!