Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
q7p-4cr-4dg
balancing act

My 3rd level. I am proud of the first half but I am not sure if the second half is worth while or not.

Please give me feed back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

My contest entry is finally ready:

Specter Switch Soiree
9PW-212-1JF

I have a thumbnail but for some reason imgur is being fucky in the awful app. Here's my tweet with the thumbnail

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Finally finished my Link's Awakening level.

Warning: I generally went with accuracy over convenience in a lot of places. So once you get the feather, don't get hit or you'll have to go back. I do have feather refresh stations once you reach the miniboss.

I made killing the nightmare the win condition, but there are two mini nightmares in the main room and you'll have to kill them too.

Mario's Awakening - Tail Cave
DVM 3L6 R2G

I've deleted both of these levels, fixed some issues and re-upped.

Specter Switch Soiree v1.1 - GP6 629 GKF
- Adjusted semi solid platforms in room two so you can't force yourself into a death
- Changed spring location in room three so it is up on a block and drops down with the p Switch. If you screw up the timing and reset with the door it will now be back up, which gives you time to use either bomb. Added clearance above one way door so you can't trap yourself
- swapped puzzle rooms 3 and 4 so the player is more likely to hit second checkpoint before running out of time
- in pipes 1, 2, and 4 added switches next to pipe and outline blocks so you won't waste time going up a blocked pipe
- moved hidden 1 up in pipe 4 somewhere more likely a player would try

Please give it a try if it was too hard before!!!

Mario's Awakening-Tail Cave v1.1- 089 C7G L1G
- In Rocs Feather room, blocked treasure pipe and require player to trigger a one time On/Off switch to off
- In main chamber and other nearby chambers added feather pipes that will spit them out if the switch is Off. Now once you get it the first time it's easy to get again without backtracking
- Added one way gates near Rocs feather to force the player to learn how the feather is meant to aid their progression
- Removed non-boss Wigglers

Please try the fixed version!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, I think I know why I dislike the 3D world look; the backgrounds look WAY too nice and have too much depth, which in turn makes the actual foreground (i.e. The gameplay area) feel like sort of an ant farm. The extra depth from the backgrounds make the foreground seem shittier by comparison.

Also, the colours seem weird to me, or the art style, I'm not really sure what it is about it that feels just so uninspiring, but it's there, and it has a strong effect on me. I'll take Mario 1, 3, and World over 3D world any day.

That being said, I still think the actual game, Super Mario 3D World, looks fantastic and I hope it's ported to the Switch someday. Maybe the theme rubs me wrong because it's there but not quite there, which ruins it. gently caress, I don't know. I just don't like it. I'm lukewarm on the NSMB look, but at least its appearance in SMM2 is entirely consistent with the games it comes from.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

FiftySeven posted:

If anyone feels like giving my level a test I would appreciate it! Its a pure platforming level and its got a checkpoint midway for ease of use!

Hey, I just beat your level, so I feel qualified in saying gently caress you and you are a bad designer.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Thank you everyone who playtested for me. Here's the final version:

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

important info: if you use a dry bones shell and helmet in the night castle theme you can fly around like a little UFO

Stealing this for sure.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Violen posted:

Kicked up half-a-dozen codes from the randomized list and they were all darlings so I'll just take em as I see em instead.

Solid concept for a course that got long in the tooth with a lot of repetitive filler. This didn't need to be the behemoth it was, especially for a level centered around an objective meaning you can't throw a bone with a checkpoint or two. It's not that the ask in terms of challenge is too steep, it's just an odyssey to work through the entirety of at the mercy of an inattentive gently caress-up.

Where it really wore thin was how many spike tops were just waiting for them to circle an enclave with no permutation, and waiting for your galoomba pals to resuscitate. I don't think the level's anywhere near an overall failure, but those were definitely the low marks outside of a few unnecessary and tangential-to-the-point bottomless pits that weren't terribly well signposted.

Otherwise the use of antigrav was appropriate and lax since this is a really deliberately paced stage. The easy highlights for me were the small platforming asides using galoomba tosses in conjunction with jumps to weave in and out of on/off blocks and switch triggers Mario couldn't handle alone. I would've probably much preferred a level just riffing on that one aside entirely.

Good aesthetic considerations. I liked the variety and attentiveness to naturalizing the geography and patterns within walls.

Overall I do not regret kicking it with the goomboys.

Tyvm for the feedback, definitely gonna go back and edit it a little, I want to have a lot of 'cool' moments but not every moment lands in the end and the longer it goes on the more it diminishes the stuff that goes right.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Heres a bunch of levels I made

"Thwomp Thing": 153-YK5-96G
"Gates of Steel": G3R-YHW-6MG
"Kiss From a Rose by Seal": JL8-V1W-RTF
“Sky booms”: VTK-BMN-CFF

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
drat, what a horrible time to post a 3D World level.

Title: Thwomp-assisted Romp
Description: Thwomps are thwends in this swift jaunt that creates itself as you play.
Course ID: 6F0-QWT-0QG

I didn't catch what tool people are using for their fancy-schmancy level cards so instead I'm just dumping a screenshot of Coursebot and some bold tags.

Anyway, this was genuinely my first kick at the can making a Mario Maker course. Not a Mario Maker 2 course, but like, period. I don't know why it took this long to get the bug since I pumped thousands of hours into the original, but here we are.

I wanted to create a stage that evoked the convention in platformers where the terrain builds and demolishes itself as you play through it. Tropical Freeze has a couple of real standout examples of this. Unfortunately the only dependable base that doesn't mandate kaizo-esque fussiness and precision from the player is thwomps in 3D World, and playing around with the extremely limited toolset I quickly realized this wasn't going to fly. However, I think I hit upon a unique-enough mechanic to conceptualize a stage around. It was an absolute nightmare to try and eek enough variety to satisfy a decent-length stage out of such a specific gimmick, but I think divvying it up into a standard Mario and cat Mario section managed to squeeze just enough out of to call it a success.

Getting everything to behave, hiding the gears, and especially trying to properly signpost and bulletproof everything was about a dozen times over the biggest timesink, far eclipsing the actual level design, which surprised me but probably shouldn't have. This is a pretty prescribed experience, too, I can't imagine trying to craft a more open-ended stage out of the main building block. I originally wanted to have a vertical second half but there's just no way in hell to get the logistics of that cohesive. I dumped embarrassing amounts of time into a couple of what I hope are cute ideas for power-up provision and setpieces and the like, and tried my best to make it look like an actual level you'd see in a Mario game aesthetically and in terms of layout.

I'd probably ballpark it around your more high-end star road stage for difficulty. There is a checkpoint and it's on the shorter side as an excursion because of the nature of its platforming design.

Even if no one touches it I still felt like journaling the making experience since it was novel for me. I'm an official addict but gently caress me not for a bit after this one, it ballooned in time commitment way beyond what I was anticipating. I was never able to just look at it and go 'done'.

Violen fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 9, 2019

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

"Thwomp Thing": 153-YK5-96G
"Gates of Steel": G3R-YHW-6MG
"Kiss From a Rose by Seal": JL8-V1W-RTF

Great! You should add your levels to the spreadsheet.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Violen posted:

drat, what a horrible time to post a 3D World level.

Title: Thwomp-assisted Romp
Description: Thwomps are thwends in this swift jaunt that creates itself as you play.
Course ID: 6F0-QWT-0QG

Very nicely designed stage and one of the best I've seen in the 3D World style. The last little bit of the room after the checkpoint gave me quite a but of trouble as I've never seen a stage that asked me to cancel out of the cat dive before and I wish I had a safe area to practice it, but I eventually nailed it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
edit: I figured it out. never mind

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 9, 2019

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'll be streaming some Endless Expert and Viewer Levels. It's my first MM2 stream - I've been on vacation since the game launched. I'm excited to play it for people!

https://www.twitch.tv/cartridgeblowers

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Just gonna drop this here for posterity since I'm sure it'll be gone by the morning.

Thanks to any goons who have checked out my levels!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
FWIW I think people should play at least one level for every one they upload. Honestly, more than that. Not saying it should be an enforceable rule or anything but it helps make this thread feel more like a community than just people tossing their levels into a pile and hoping one person sifts through it.

Playing levels is pretty important anyways because it gives you new ideas, shows you what other people enjoy, and shows you what does NOT work. Even playing a bad level can help you as a creator. I mean stuff like kaizo blocks are obviously bad but there might be things you never thought about before that are actually really crummy to experience during a level.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Good Sphere posted:

Nice Course
2YK-N4T-MVG

A course for nice people only, with no enemies or hazards, except for endless pits. How fast can you beat it? Try to find the secret.

*I guess it technically has enemies, but only fake ones.

This level was awesome. I really enjoyed playing it. The drop after the pipe was great.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

The Fall and Rise of Super Mario
XN8-WR4-CMF
By: Lastdancer

The section where you have to get through the wall is rough and I think I broke your system rather than doing it the intended way since I trapped a fire flower in there, then pounded the p-switch over and over again while I cleared everything out. Then kept on the p-switch while I just threw myself at the turtle.

Ah, nah, spamming that P switch is pretty much necessary (or unlocking the power star room with the red coin key). The fire flower getting trapped on the other side is an unfortunate side effect of the night theme for SMB1 that I could not find a good way to circumvent. It's really just straight up bad design anyway looking at it this far in retrospect. Thanks for playing it (and setting a new WR)!

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 9, 2019

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Lets Pickle posted:

Stealing this for sure.

You can even give him a fire flower or superball flower, it's pretty neat.

Intl Cron
Dec 5, 2005

I'm just an olde-fashioned cowboy...

Internet Kraken posted:

FWIW I think people should play at least one level for every one they upload. Honestly, more than that. Not saying it should be an enforceable rule or anything but it helps make this thread feel more like a community than just people tossing their levels into a pile and hoping one person sifts through it.

Playing levels is pretty important anyways because it gives you new ideas, shows you what other people enjoy, and shows you what does NOT work. Even playing a bad level can help you as a creator. I mean stuff like kaizo blocks are obviously bad but there might be things you never thought about before that are actually really crummy to experience during a level.

For sure - I've been making it a point to have like a "3-to-1" ratio of levels I post to reviews/critiques I post, as well. I get a lot of inspiration, as well as "don't do this poo poo" lessons, so it definitely improves my own level-making. Not to mention, using the Random Acts of Mario site is probably the most effective way of being served dope-rear end levels, anyway!

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

J-Spot posted:

Very nicely designed stage and one of the best I've seen in the 3D World style. The last little bit of the room after the checkpoint gave me quite a but of trouble as I've never seen a stage that asked me to cancel out of the cat dive before and I wish I had a safe area to practice it, but I eventually nailed it.

Wow, I appreciate the high praise. I was conflicted on that last maneuver. Typically I think if you're designing for a certain audience and play your level's philosophy to that end, you can one two skip a few of a lot of the conventional 'how to make a good Mario course' wisdom for things like mechanical walkthroughs of movesets and the like, because at the end of the day these are stages that have to exist in a vacuum and not as part of a linear set. The dive cancel is kind of pushing the limit of that assumption of target audience know-how, though. It's not detailed anywhere in-game, not even deep in the Yamamura pits, neither being able to cancel it outright nor ground pound out of it. I had absolutely no room in this level for breathing room, the enemy/object limit is hit in both rooms and I use every iota of space. It was enough of a logistical mountain trying to figure out how to wedge in the reset room. I was desperate for a crescendo and had already completely exhausted everything else I could conjure from the small and naturally repetitious pool I had, so I went for it and compromised with the option to retry and the coinage as a hopeful signpost. Whether it was worthwhile to include is questionable.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

I played a couple after sharing mine but I will make it a point to play more in-between course shares in the future.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
Yeah, I'm definitely not one-and-doneing with the level I played, I'm just on fumes tonight. I'll sift through more tomorrow.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Ok Mario Makers, I’ve just uploaded my first course, be gentle.

The Shellshank Redemption
4GF-L8K-FNG

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I play levels, I just don't often post about them here because I don't often have thoughts on them. I'm bad enough at Mario that I can't often complete levels. And it makes me feel bad to wreck y'all's completion rating with my banging my head against a wall. If RAoM had a way we could rate difficulty I would definitely be reviewing a lot more, as long as they were tagged easy and normal.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Help Im Alive posted:

important info: if you use a dry bones shell and helmet in the night castle theme you can fly around like a little UFO

Hi I'm almost done making a level with this as it's theme. I've been wanting to make a dry bones water-y level but now it's morphed into something great.

Thank you

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
When you get weird homages in your head...

An Homage to Facility
637-8T7-NJF

I tried to from memory recreate the facility level in Goldeneye 64. But to quote Tenacious D, this is an homage. Still, I had fun making and playing it. It's not overly complicated and I think has an interesting win condition and has some decent risk reward to cheese the level.

Let me know what you think.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Lobster posted:

I play levels, I just don't often post about them here because I don't often have thoughts on them. I'm bad enough at Mario that I can't often complete levels. And it makes me feel bad to wreck y'all's completion rating with my banging my head against a wall. If RAoM had a way we could rate difficulty I would definitely be reviewing a lot more, as long as they were tagged easy and normal.

Even posting "I tried this level and it was too hard for me" is good. Something that says, "I tried your stuff," is a boon to people since it means levels aren't just getting spat out into the void.

Speaking of which, I should probably play some more goon levels before going to sleep since I'm considering scrapping my current jam level design. Something happened and I kind of want to make a different level to take that into account.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Random acts reviews!

Infiltrate Bowser's Airship

Pretty nice airship level, difficulty level felt like midrange SMB3. Some of the fire hazards had more waiting than I would have liked, but overall it was fun and looked nice.

3-2 Pleasant Plant Path

3D world piranha plants still freak me out. Piranha plants are not meant to be jumped on!! Otherwise, nice easygoing level.

Thwomp's Frozen Library

I couldn't really get into this. I don't like 3D world physics much and it's really not my style of platforming.

Mushroom View Valley

It's a little boring but that's kind of what happens when you're aiming for an easy vanilla level. It was pretty well put together though, I've certainly seen worse.

Ice Age 8

I liked the gimmick a lot, it was mechanically interesting and also thematic. The level is short enough that it definitely doesn't wear itself out.

Dr Drybones Platforming Palace

Not terribly memorable, but it was decent. Some of the later stretches of the first room were kind of annoying because it was possible to reach them in a dead man walking state where you don't have enough time left to make it through but it still takes a while for the lava to catch up.

Spooky Disappearing Flag

I'm not entirely sure what was going on here. I gather it had something to do with getting the magikoopas to morph the blocks away but the screen was so crowded I couldn't really follow what was going on.

Clown College

Nice light puzzle level, it was fun. Good use of the cranes without requiring a lot of super finicky jumps.

Boom Boom's Unpaid Electric Bill

The hidden blocks in the red koopa area halfway through are kind of dickish, you don't need that many to get up and they just wind up getting in the way when you're trying to stomp the koopas.

Slopes n Slides

I like slopes but this just didn't grab me. 3D world strikes again.

<[EMERGENCY ESCAPE]>

OK, this was pretty fun. The jumps generally seemed pretty forgiving without being completely brainless. It's fun just hauling rear end at full speed and watching poo poo blow up around you.

Monty's Ice Rink

The coin trap full of moles was kind of a dick move. Pretty decent level other than that.

Galoomba Heights

I liked the first half of the level, but the second half seemed kind of aimless. I also wound up Kaizo-ing myself on the hidden 1up block after the checkpoint.

Revenge of Dr Molenaut

Really fun and thematically cool level but I hate the midpoint placement since it screws you out of the red coin key.

Improper Crate Disposal

Felt pretty empty. Lots of slowly floating upwards with few/no enemies to dodge, punctuated by occasionally having lots of enemies to dodge.

Abyssal Adventure

Pretty loving great! The lack of midpoint is a little annoying - it seems like a checkpoint at the bottom would work fine for the condition. But, it's easy enough to not be that big of a deal.

Galoomba's Skill Crane

Not really much of a level, just a goofy demo.

Bowser Boss Bash

Neat concept, but the bosses just aren't terribly interesting, and none of them are actually as challenging as the fuckin hammer bros setup. I eventually found that just using the cannons to skip over the first fight and tackle the hammer bros from above was way more consistent than any approach from the exit on Boom Boom's room, without all the waiting that fighting Boom Boom involves.

Big Bowser Jr's Airship Assault

I was incredibly irritated by the way the initial platform is placed in a way that you have to wait for it before you can jump up. The piranha plant drop is kind of dickish; if you're paying attention you might notice what's going on, although there doesn't seem to be a lot of indication that those two pipes are connected (it didn't get me, I hit the switch on general principles.) The 2nd and especially 3rd red coins mostly seemed like freebies. It was good enough overall.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 9, 2019

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Mooseontheloose posted:

When you get weird homages in your head...

An Homage to Facility
637-8T7-NJF

I tried to from memory recreate the facility level in Goldeneye 64. But to quote Tenacious D, this is an homage. Still, I had fun making and playing it. It's not overly complicated and I think has an interesting win condition and has some decent risk reward to cheese the level.

Let me know what you think.

I don't think I unlocked the Invincibility cheat, but I could definitely place some of the areas from the original.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Mahoning posted:

4GF-L8K-FNG

I was apparently very busy dying, but Hope got me through!

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Random Stranger posted:

Even posting "I tried this level and it was too hard for me" is good. Something that says, "I tried your stuff," is a boon to people since it means levels aren't just getting spat out into the void.

Speaking of which, I should probably play some more goon levels before going to sleep since I'm considering scrapping my current jam level design. Something happened and I kind of want to make a different level to take that into account.

That's a fair point. It's very discouraging to fail levels over and over again that the rest of you are beating though. Still, someone has to be the worst at Mario itt. I could provide some perspective if I started to pipe up.

Anywho, here's my Jam level:

Wario's company is overflowing with coins and OSHA violations! Grab as many coins as you can while dodging loose saws and enemies of all kinds!

Difficulty: Normal/Easy

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Lastdancer posted:

I was apparently very busy dying, but Hope got me through!

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things! Thanks for playing.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im sketching out a 16-level world and Im pretty sure that this means I have brain problems, send help

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Control Volume posted:

Im sketching out a 16-level world and Im pretty sure that this means I'm awesome, send beer

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Lastdancer posted:

I don't think I unlocked the Invincibility cheat, but I could definitely place some of the areas from the original.

There is an invincibility cheat in there...sorta...

Also, I was originally going to set the timer to 180 but there is no way to do that level in that amount of time.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I did a random act of Mario:

WB1-251-XKF #103 Going Galaxy By: Random Stranger

I dig the theme, it's a good use of the inversion mechanic for sure, and I liked the consistency between transitions with the pipes. I gave up because I'm too dumb to figure out what that second P switch is for and kept dying trying to figure it out.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lowen SoDium posted:

q7p-4cr-4dg
balancing act

My 3rd level. I am proud of the first half but I am not sure if the second half is worth while or not.

Please give me feed back.

It started out fine with spine tops climbing on and getting scraped off. Then I reached the on/off switch blocks and I couldn't find an switch I could hit. I wound up having to abandon playing because I just couldn't find any path.

One more thing that you need to know but it's not part of your actual design: the level image used for identifying your stage is whatever is on screen who you hit upload. So in this case it was a blank castle room with a pipe. Be careful to pick something eye catching when you do your uploads!

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Thank you everyone who playtested for me. Here's the final version:

Played the original version which was already pretty good and this one is better. Thumbs up.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

[...]

We were talking in this thread today about how terrible and random the physics on the whirlwinds are and here's a whole stage built on them including fighting a boss on them. Nothing like dying while fighting one because you just fall straight through the wind suddenly for no reason. That's not on you as a level designer, this part just does not work as intended.

Mahoning posted:

4GF-L8K-FNG

You've got a fine concept for a short stage, but the nature of your stage with its basically one square high path means that you've got more white space on the screen than I've ever seen in a level and it's all blank. This would have been a good opportunity to put little vignettes above the player like small "jail cells" and prisoners. You could have also used pipes instead of ground for a lot of the surfaces and it would have given it some thematic visual flare.

Straight White Shark posted:

Abyssal Adventure

Pretty loving great! The lack of midpoint is a little annoying - it seems like a checkpoint at the bottom would work fine for the condition. But, it's easy enough to not be that big of a deal.

I did the entire layout for that stage, then found out that levels with conditions cannot have midpoints; you can tell that there was intended to be one at the bottom. It did make me scale the difficulty way back when I found that.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

For some reason I've gotten it in my head to start remaking a Tomb Raider level. It's probably bad that I've barely made it past the first two rooms design-wise after spending an hour or two on it.

Random Stranger posted:

I may not say it in the thread but if your course was under the number 375 I played it, probably liked it, but don't usually have anything meaningful to say outside of it as far as a review or something would go. Most of my feedback would go towards generic things that a lot of people have tried, like bad invisible block stuff or levels not working like they're supposed to (and even then if it doesn't break on me and is cool I'll give it a like).

That's why I try to piggyback off other people's feedback because I can go "oh I remember that level" and have been trying to post more little clips.

Speaking of which...

Straight White Shark posted:

Slopes n Slides

I like slopes but this just didn't grab me. 3D world strikes again.

I had the exact opposite reaction, something about that level made me redo it a bunch of times until I felt like I was playing it "right." Probably the 3D world level I used the longjump the most in, which felt great to do with all the little different paths.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Here's another level for the pile. Fair warning though, its a long one and also, boss fights.

https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1148441205417467904

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lastdancer posted:

I did a random act of Mario:

WB1-251-XKF #103 Going Galaxy By: Random Stranger

I dig the theme, it's a good use of the inversion mechanic for sure, and I liked the consistency between transitions with the pipes. I gave up because I'm too dumb to figure out what that second P switch is for and kept dying trying to figure it out.

Navigating with the inversion was super confusing for most players and that's my course with my worst clear rate as a result, so don't feel too bad. It definitely needed better signposting, but doing it with coins only in the most vital position (since there would be a discontinuity in the surfaces otherwise) was not working.