Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

"Is that the reason you laughed at his terrible, racist jokes?"
"One of the reasons, yes."

Oh, Stan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

YOU'RE GETTING CLOWNED, GUCCI MANE

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

drrockso20 posted:

Considering Disney now owns them, I figure Family Guy is either going to be quietly canceled as soon as possible(cause they've made way too many direct attacks at both Disney as a company, and Walt Disney as a person for them to be comfortable supporting it as an ongoing production), or they'll sell it off to someone else as soon as possible

I don't think Seth would mind. It's a good steady paycheck, but he clearly cares way more about the orville. Plus 17 seasons is more than enough.

The_Doctor posted:

Last time I checked in with FG it was still doing borderline /not even borderline racist/misogynistic/homophobic/transphobic jokes. And that was maybe 5 years ago?

There's a weird trend of them making "Chris and Meg are loving" jokes now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Disney owns the production of Family Guy, but they don't really get to decide if it's canceled. I mean, sure, they could decide to stop making it, but I doubt they would if Fox wants to still pay them for episodes. Don't forget, Disney did not buy the Fox Broadcasting Network.

Disney owns American Dad too. Even though it airs on TBS, it's still made by 20th Century Fox TV which is now Disney.

American Dad did a WHOLE episode deconstructing Disney parks.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Disney is a faceless company with no desire for anything but profit, and Family Guy and American Dad generate profit.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

bull3964 posted:

Disney owns the production of Family Guy, but they don't really get to decide if it's canceled. I mean, sure, they could decide to stop making it, but I doubt they would if Fox wants to still pay them for episodes. Don't forget, Disney did not buy the Fox Broadcasting Network.

Disney owns American Dad too. Even though it airs on TBS, it's still made by 20th Century Fox TV which is now Disney.

American Dad did a WHOLE episode deconstructing Disney parks.

Considering how much money Disney has, they could easily eat the money they'd have to pay for breaching the contract with Fox on that, but I figure it's more likely that they'll do one of two things with Family Guy;

1) continue production of the show until the current contract with Fox is finished then end the show and proceed to bury it as much as possible, like to the extent they do with Song of The South here in the US

2) same as above but they sell it off to someone else, probably Time-Warner

Also the difference is that American Dad didn't directly mock Disney, they just used a similar expy

Nichael posted:

Disney is a faceless company with no desire for anything but profit, and Family Guy and American Dad generate profit.

That is a bold faced lie, yeah Disney is big on making money like any company but they are huge on protecting their image as a company and even more so about protecting the image of Walt, and the kind of mocking Family Guy has done of both is of the worst sort I doubt they are too happy to own(to compare, Simpsons when they mocked Disney in the past it was just them making jokes about how overpriced their parks are or how no one visited California Adventure in it's first couple of years, while Family Guy would make accusations of them using child slavery or the myth of Walt being an antisemite)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It was totally disney dude lmao.

PostNouveau posted:

It's a few things, I think.

- Roger is one of the best TV characters ever. Capable of doing anything, even his "boring" characters are hilarious because they mock the sadness of suburban American life.

I think between Roger being himself and Stan being TV CIA (as opposed to real life CIA, Stan's not sitting around doing analysis and paperwork all day), they can do all sorts of weird rear end storylines and go to exotic locations that would stretch the believability of far more grounded shows to the breaking point. It definitely helps

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Mom Sauce
Season 16, Episode 13
Steve’s life turns upside down when Snot gets rich after his mom starts selling a dipping sauce. Klaus, Stan, Roger and Jeff become mall fashion show models.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

drrockso20 posted:

Considering how much money Disney has, they could easily eat the money they'd have to pay for breaching the contract with Fox on that, but I figure it's more likely that they'll do one of two things with Family Guy;

1) continue production of the show until the current contract with Fox is finished then end the show and proceed to bury it as much as possible, like to the extent they do with Song of The South here in the US

2) same as above but they sell it off to someone else, probably Time-Warner

Also the difference is that American Dad didn't directly mock Disney, they just used a similar expy

That is a bold faced lie, yeah Disney is big on making money like any company but they are huge on protecting their image as a company and even more so about protecting the image of Walt, and the kind of mocking Family Guy has done of both is of the worst sort I doubt they are too happy to own(to compare, Simpsons when they mocked Disney in the past it was just them making jokes about how overpriced their parks are or how no one visited California Adventure in it's first couple of years, while Family Guy would make accusations of them using child slavery or the myth of Walt being an antisemite)

Here's some fun examples which I doubt Disney has forgotten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-AUf3gPBn8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a--5uGLhsGw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0eiwxaiJv0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbMFtTLK1dM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOhdpeyhu-w

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Milo and POTUS posted:

It was totally disney dude lmao.

I think between Roger being himself and Stan being TV CIA (as opposed to real life CIA, Stan's not sitting around doing analysis and paperwork all day), they can do all sorts of weird rear end storylines and go to exotic locations that would stretch the believability of far more grounded shows to the breaking point. It definitely helps

Well yeah it was obviously Disney inspired, but to use an analogy, that episode was basically a playful ribbing on certain aspects of the parks, while Family Guy's jokes about Disney are often more along the line of a vicious stabbing

My point proven exactly

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The Simpsons also has a long history of mocking Disney (including in their little video after they were purchased by them). That didn't stop Disney from adding the Simpsons to Disney+.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Zero One posted:

The Simpsons also has a long history of mocking Disney (including in their little video after they were purchased by them). That didn't stop Disney from adding the Simpsons to Disney+.

i dont think homer simpson ever straight up said Walt Disney was a nazi though

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

i dont think homer simpson ever straight up said Walt Disney was a nazi though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBbioa6cSaM&t=11s

It's usually a safe bet to assume the Simpsons has done literally everything by this point.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
there are so many syndication edits and we have accepted those for years, disney can just modify the "problem" segments every time the episodes get played back, every time slightly modifying the content a bit more and a bit more until all references that disparage the corporation have been excised.

hell, with disney+ they can do this on a per-user basis, so everybody gets their history cleansed at their own pace

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Disney has been pretty weird about PR related things lately. I really have no idea if they will want to ax the show or just leave it alone.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I don't think Disney cares about Puerto Rico one way or the other

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You have literally no idea how corporate greed works if you think Disney would ever cancel Family Guy before they stopped selling t-shirts and lunchboxes and bullshit.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I feel like there's a lot of people that haven't internalized that Disney is a very loving weird and dirty corporation.

Like, I wouldn't be surprised if the FG Disney jokes result in MacFarlane getting some kind of major blowback now, up to and including "all of his shows mysteriously get cancelled and 'Fox' suddenly doesn't want to work with him on anything."

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Where are you guys getting this petty and vindictive corporate persona from? When has Disney ever tanked anything that could have made them a shitload of money besides the James Gunn thing?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Disney is the guy who goes around saying "You can talk poo poo about me all you want, but I'll gently caress you up if you even say my girl's name" but with IP's

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bust Rodd posted:

Where are you guys getting this petty and vindictive corporate persona from? When has Disney ever tanked anything that could have made them a shitload of money besides the James Gunn thing?

Go read DisneyWar and come back, they're a loving nasty company.

If FG is actually still bringing in cash, it's probably safe-ish, but... that's also kind of an assumption, and if it's not they're going to terminate with extreme prejudice.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I feel like there's a lot of people that haven't internalized that Disney is a very loving weird and dirty corporation.

And think Disney only makes family friendly unoffensive content.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Like, I wouldn't be surprised if the FG Disney jokes result in MacFarlane getting some kind of major blowback now, up to and including "all of his shows mysteriously get cancelled and 'Fox' suddenly doesn't want to work with him on anything."

I don't think people here are arguing whether Disney is dirty, they're arguing whether their greed or their pride will win out.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Here's a great example of Disney just being weird, petty dicks for literally no reason:

(content warning: it's about a dead kid and there's some pics of him in the hospital at the end)

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9441452/disney-spider-man-dad-headstone-ollie-jones/

They would literally gently caress over the parents of a deceased toddler in order to preserve their brand image, MacFarlane is boned

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Here's a great example of Disney just being weird, petty dicks for literally no reason:

(content warning: it's about a dead kid and there's some pics of him in the hospital at the end)

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9441452/disney-spider-man-dad-headstone-ollie-jones/

They would literally gently caress over the parents of a deceased toddler in order to preserve their brand image, MacFarlane is boned

The key difference here is that a dead child's casket doesn't generate profit for Disney, while Seth MacFarlane does.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Nichael posted:

The key difference here is that a dead child's casket doesn't generate profit for Disney, while Seth MacFarlane does.

Agreed. Disney doesn't really act out of pride when they get attacked. They finely calculate how much damage that particular attack might cause them. If it turns out that there might be a million dollars in devalued branding, but at the same time the content made them earn 2 millio, they'd be way less annoyed than if it just caused a million in damage period.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBbioa6cSaM&t=11s

It's usually a safe bet to assume the Simpsons has done literally everything by this point.

Not to mention;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrbiIGXT5Hw

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

well, that's egg on my face now.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Maybe Disney will meet somewhere in the middle. They'll pretend all the old jokes about them and anything else "problematic" never happened, and new content will all be "clean" from now on.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

That's not them being dicks for no reason. It's them being dicks cause the rules the company follows says they have to say no to that stuff.

TheFattestPat posted:

Maybe Disney will meet somewhere in the middle. They'll pretend all the old jokes about them and anything else "problematic" never happened, and new content will all be "clean" from now on.

That was always going to be the answer.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 8, 2019

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

The_Doctor posted:

Mom Sauce
Season 16, Episode 13
Steve’s life turns upside down when Snot gets rich after his mom starts selling a dipping sauce. Klaus, Stan, Roger and Jeff become mall fashion show models.

I'm very interested in the B- plot of this episode.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Roger's either going to be a supermodel wannabe or an crazy dance-mom manager.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Stan, Jeff, Roger and the big K himself in a b plot. That's gonna be fire.

Also, does anyone else wish they did more 2 parters? They're great

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I would order it Julius Style

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
My baby loves that chicken noodle soup
Waiting in long lines
For that newly invented chicken soup
Gotta get that sweet, sweet, sweet sugary souuuuup

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
That orange julius scene, wow

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

"You think that six could bang this dime?"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My baby loves that chicken noodle sooo-hoo-hoo-ooup!
Waitin' in long lines for that newly-invented chicken soup!
Gotta get that sweet, sweet, sweet, sugary soup!

I know that was posted already, it's just taken over my brain.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

The funny thing for me is that my favorite dressing is Newman's Own balsamic vinaigrette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You separated my family! And now I'll do that to your head and your dick!