Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Beerdeer posted:

8 Heads in a Duffel Bag was awful, though.

Ooof, such a bad flick.

I can't find my post but I mentioned a new DC Horror imprint after my visit to DC in March of last year but I had to be really vague. I didn't know it was Joe Hill behind it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

8 Heads is peak Comedy Central filler. I must have seen that movie on tv a dozen times.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

12-issue fantasy series for Black Label, 'The Last God' from Phillip Kennedy Johnson and Riccardo Federici.
https://www.newsarama.com/45807-dc-delves-into-bloody-fantasy-with-the-last-god.html

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I am super intrigued. A fantasy-horror series sounds interesting. This and the Joe Hill stuff seems neat.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Has Doomsday Clock explained why presumably Doctor Manhatten murdered Pandora in Rebirth?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Because everyone hates Pandora, even Manhattan.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I would be entirely unsurprised if Johns had just forgotten about Pandora at this point.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Earth is really important in the electoral college so humans get a disproportionate share of representation in the Lantern Corps.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Has Doomsday Clock explained why presumably Doctor Manhatten murdered Pandora in Rebirth?

On a more serious note, it seemed to be that she figured out he was behind things and he killed her.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

I know this thread has a hate boner for Tom King usually, but I'm going to go ahead and say Superman: Up in the Sky issue 1 was superb.

frameset fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 3, 2019

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

frameset posted:

I know this thread has a hate boner for Tom King usually, but I'm going to go ahead and say Superman: Up in the Sky issue 1 was superb.

It's not a hate boner if it's deserved.

Btw, Multiverse adventures time in The Green Lantern featuring a Hal Jordan.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Does this mean King doesn't have Superman treating a gun as a throat lozenge while narrating that he never wanted to be a superhero? Did Interesting King come out to play on this one?

The Green Lantern was mostly prologue this month - writing checks next month's isse will have to cash!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone read one of the comics with the Year of the Villain badge on it this week? How are they handling the integration? With a tacked on epilogue or within the story?

This week is bonkers. Doom Patrol, GL, Walmart Superman and the Wild Storm finale. I should take the day off work.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
DCeased is pretty neat just for the misleading cover, willingness to kill Batman so he isn't yet again smarter than the actual apocalypse, and hell, willingness to kill off important characters in general. It's trashy fun.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

King is such a weird case for me because there’s a large chunk of his work that I adore (Miracle, Vision, Babylon, the front half or so of Batman) but the other chunk of his work I can’t stand (HiC, the back half of Batman). Like I can’t figure out how he’s able to have that divisive of a catalogue in as short of a timespan as he’s had.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

DCeased is pretty neat just for the misleading cover, willingness to kill Batman so he isn't yet again smarter than the actual apocalypse, and hell, willingness to kill off important characters in general. It's trashy fun.

It's at the trashy level of Marvel Zombies wat back when it started and it's extremely fun because of it

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

LifeLynx posted:

I'm enjoying the B-grade cheese of the story.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The best part is that it's non-canon so they can do whatever the gently caress they want and have fun with killing characters off or transforming others.

I believe we haven't seen The Flash yet so we don't know if he's infected or not or in a quasi state of infection because of the Speed Force

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
New Lois Lane mini seems good but it will definitely trigger chuds given the Sarah Sanders pastiche (and implied Trump one) and Lois's "This Machine Kills Fascists" sticker on her laptop. Also, Montoya Question shows up it looks like.

Doom Patrol is also back and it seems fun, if only setting up everything. The cast is quite large now and idk if it's helpful or not.

Also, King really loving loves his simple one page spreads with three bubbles of text. Like he's trying to pad out the page count

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 4, 2019

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

Also, King really loving loves his simple one page spreads with three bubbles of text. Like he's trying to pad out the page count
I dunno, in a visual medium it seems like you should keep the text to a minimum. I still remember Kevin Smith's books being just overrun with word bubbles to the point where you could barely see the artwork.

Now having characters quote songs/books/poems in the public domain for pages upon pages? That's padding.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Television and film are visual media too and there's a happy medium between a Kevin Smith movie (which has the same issue as a Kevin Smith comic) and if there was an entire episode of a television drama that was mostly just medium shots of people walking and being grim and maybe some quick cut action while someone gravely intones the lyrics of Camptown Races and Tom King is forever veering off to the latter.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Edge & Christian posted:

Television and film are visual media too and there's a happy medium between a Kevin Smith movie (which has the same issue as a Kevin Smith comic) and if there was an entire episode of a television drama that was mostly just medium shots of people walking and being grim and maybe some quick cut action while someone gravely intones the lyrics of Camptown Races and Tom King is forever veering off to the latter.

That episode of Legion was amazing

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
It's more a magazine than a comic book, but it is from DC.

MAD Magazine will cease publication this year.

https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/07/04/mad-magazine-to-cease-publication/

That sucks, I grew up with MAD.

Actually only kinda sorta.

https://comicbook.com/2019/07/04/mad-magazine-shutdown-details-revealed/

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Xelkelvos posted:

it's that or copy-pasting a song or a poem over for 20-odd pages.

also color me unimpressed by Up in the Sky. it's like Grounded but somehow makes Clark come off as even more myopic

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's official. Jon's joining LOSH.
https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1148314235673415681

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

TwoPair posted:

If Bendis puts Jon on the Legion I will face God and walk backwards into hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQyhLZsw7e4

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Anyone reading the Steve Orlando Martian Manhunter series? It's a pretty exciting redo of Martian Manhunter's origin story in a way that screams to me it need to be a tv adaption.

It focuses on the detective aspects of his character but the twist is he's doing this all not as just a convenient disguise but as atonement because back on Mar's he was a dirty cop involved with elements that caused the disaster. The art might not be everyones thing but it really shines with scenes on the Martian Homeworld where nothing has an exact defined shape.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I like the goopy Martian loving and that Martian children look like jellybeans.
I'm optimistic about Jon. If Bendis makes a bright, exciting comic out of LOSH, that should be a pretty good place for him.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 9, 2019

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

I like the goopy Martian loving and that Martian children look like jellybeans.
I'm optimistic about Jon. If Bendis makes a bright, exciting comic out of LOSH, that should be a pretty good place for him.

It's probably the whole Editorial reason why he was aged up. They wanted a Superboy for the Legion and Conner wasn't available so they finagle the next best thing.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

It really amuses me that they’re just repeating the exact lovely parts of the Chris Kent plot from a decade(?) ago.

“The interactions of Lois and Clark with this young kid is so wholesome and good. Let’s ship him off to the phantom zone for a while and then he comes back and gasp he’s older”.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The New Krypton era is one of my favorite runs of bad comics.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Which Legion? The classic is too old, the Zero Hour is searching the Multiverse, and the 3boot is on the wrong earth.

(I read a lot of Legion recently)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Beerdeer posted:

Which Legion? The classic is too old, the Zero Hour is searching the Multiverse, and the 3boot is on the wrong earth.

(I read a lot of Legion recently)

I'd wager we're getting a new version of one of the old versions.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Uh, this probably shouldn't be called the "DC/Vertigo Comics 2019" thread anymore.

Rhyno posted:

The New Krypton era is one of my favorite runs of bad comics.

How so?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Xelkelvos posted:

It's probably the whole Editorial reason why he was aged up. They wanted a Superboy for the Legion and Conner wasn't available so they finagle the next best thing.

Bendis is writing both characters.

I’m looking forward to the eventual Legion/Young Justice crossover though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Covok posted:

Uh, this probably shouldn't be called the "DC/Vertigo Comics 2019" thread anymore.

OK.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lose the 'Black Label' imo.

Speaking of Vertigo...
New Hellblazer series in the 'Sandman Universe'.
Simon Spurrier/Marcio Takara for an intro one-shot and Spurrier/Aaron Campbell for the series.
https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1148622954999234560

Spurrier's killing it on The Dreaming, so it'll probably be great.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Didn't he write one of the post New 52 Constantine books?

As entertaining as it is seeing him take the piss out of Wonder Woman or whatever he really doesn't belong in the same universe as the Justice League.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He's been in the same universe as the Justice League as long as he's existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rebirth Hellblazer was Simon Oliver and Tim Seeley.

I think the SandU is in the DCU right now. The new books kicked off with that dude appearing in Metal.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 9, 2019