Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Braksgirl posted:

I don't let my kids have the lever on Buzz because they will just spin us constantly the whole time. I made those kids and I don't trust them.

As someone who worked the Teacups, I commend you as a parent. It was always a treat to watch parents fight with their kids over who was spinning the cup and how much it was getting spun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cm previews of Gran Destino was this past week. My friend stayed and posted pictures. Said you can see both the MK and DHS fireworks from the tower but the rooms are zzzzzz

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
The halls and rooms look pretty I think, I like the elaborate designs. Views of the lake looks sweet.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Empress Brosephine posted:

the rooms are zzzzzz

Can you elaborate?

I'm not a fan of huge over the top theming in the hotel room. I know many people want Disney in their face 24/7 while at WDW, but I like the break which is why I like Bay Lake/Contemporary so much. Others hate it though and think it's too sterile/not Disney enough.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

skipdogg posted:

Can you elaborate?

I'm not a fan of huge over the top theming in the hotel room. I know many people want Disney in their face 24/7 while at WDW, but I like the break which is why I like Bay Lake/Contemporary so much. Others hate it though and think it's too sterile/not Disney enough.

You would like them then. I just think they’re bland and unexcitinf.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We're going to try to split stay our Feb 2020 trip and spend a couple nights there. The rooms are booking so fast though, might be tough to get a studio there at the 7 month DVC mark.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

As someone who worked the Teacups, I commend you as a parent. It was always a treat to watch parents fight with their kids over who was spinning the cup and how much it was getting spun.

I generally let the kids spin the tea cup unless they ask me to because they want to go fast. Those cups take a surprising amount of muscle to spin.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The new Japan restaurant opened. It looks really amazing and is super high end.

https://twitter.com/wdwmagic/status/1147242690070925312?s=21

I'm just worried it won't stay that way. It may be too pricy to attract many guests. It also has a dress code! It's one thing to be Victoria and Albert's or a Springs* restaurant and enforce a dress code. But who is going to spend the day in Epcot in a dress or long pants and a collared shirt so they can eat here? They are really limiting their potential customer base.

*I believe STK tried to have a dress code when they first opened but they dropped it after struggling to find customers. They also had to lower their prices.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On day one Tim the tracker was there in a T-shirt and shorts so I think that dress code won’t be well upheld. But technically La Cellier and Monseieur Paul has a dress code but they absolutely don’t honor it

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

You can always buy linen if you want to dress nicely in the heat!

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Zero One posted:

The new Japan restaurant opened. It looks really amazing and is super high end.

https://twitter.com/wdwmagic/status/1147242690070925312?s=21

I'm just worried it won't stay that way. It may be too pricy to attract many guests. It also has a dress code! It's one thing to be Victoria and Albert's or a Springs* restaurant and enforce a dress code. But who is going to spend the day in Epcot in a dress or long pants and a collared shirt so they can eat here? They are really limiting their potential customer base.

*I believe STK tried to have a dress code when they first opened but they dropped it after struggling to find customers. They also had to lower their prices.

Yeah but STK is garbage with a bad gimmick.

I hope they enforce the dress code pretty strictly but it's probably tougher to do since it's in a park.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

who cares

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 8, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I love the look of the restaurant but the actual menu isn't great. It's nothing you can't get literally in any lovely 100k town or larger these days. I was really hoping for more creativity or just straight out izakaya flair stuff. Not more "lOoK aT oUr WaGyU!!!!" stuff.

But I think it's a good start. The interior is absolutely gorgeous. You can fix a menu. And water cakes are kinda neat to pop into Epcot.

None of that looks unusual for a high end Japanese restaurant, though? It's not all about exotic ingredients as much as it is maximum quality.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

chitoryu12 posted:

None of that looks unusual for a high end Japanese restaurant, though? It's not all about exotic ingredients as much as it is maximum quality.

Yeah. This is Disney World, specifically Epcot, a place where plenty of midwesterners and others from small towns may try world cuisine for the first time. That’s Disney’s whole MO with the world showcase. There’s no need for it to be innovative as long as it’s good. Hell, a high cuisine Japanese set course meal in a theme park is in and of itself innovative as it is.

I live in Miami, a place not la lacking for good as hell food from everywhere, but the fact that World Showcase is essentially a world foodcourt got me to try a bunch of stuff I never had. Can’t wait to try this place out.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I had a test stay at gran destino and *drat* it was nice.

My test meal was in the Dahlia lounge and while the food was really it was almost 80 bucks for 2 tapas, 2 platters, and two drinks. Those savory churros were amazing.

It’s a nice touch for convention guests who are used to something nicer without being obnoxiously Disney. In true first world problems, I had to turn down a test meal at Takumi-Tei since were already going to the tower. My friends that went said it was really good but didn’t really feel like a Japanese restaurant - they had steaks.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

I gave up scouting Twitter to see when JW would soft-open and decided to just watch a video and ride it eventually.

That finale is baaaaaad. People are ragging on Disney for opening a land with a missing ride, that's better than JW's finale which apparently is either not working fully or the missing part is not even there.

Also love the part where they just stop you in the middle of an empty area and nothing happens. Or replacing the amazing opening of the ride with a screen.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

stratofarius posted:

I gave up scouting Twitter to see when JW would soft-open and decided to just watch a video and ride it eventually.

That finale is baaaaaad. People are ragging on Disney for opening a land with a missing ride, that's better than JW's finale which apparently is either not working fully or the missing part is not even there.

Also love the part where they just stop you in the middle of an empty area and nothing happens. Or replacing the amazing opening of the ride with a screen.

They ruin the whole initial sense of wonder and awe it used to have. They plastered on a screen and gently caress with the pacing of the ride by having an early scare. You, the rider, should be enchanted at this point.

They got rid of the whole concept of "whoops, something's wrong now, we're redirecting you."

The grimy, industrial look of the water plant gave a really good sense of "gently caress, we're not supposed to be here." Whimsy has been replaced by apprehension, and as you laugh at the spitting Dilophosaurus, you're still feeling that little tingle at your spine.

It built you to a crescendo and then revealed that giant loving carnivore head. No matter how many times you see the movie, none of it gives the sense of scale that the almighty Tyrannosaurus head, snapping at you gives. And right at the crucial moment, the world drops out from under you.

Jurassic World pisses all that away, by adding an equally big giant head just loving sitting there, well lit, for you to admire. It gives you loving Barney the velociraptor to hold your loving hand and tell you it'll be alright. Thanks, Andy. The whole experience has been completely sanitized and deescalated.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i've always thought visiting Tokyo Disney World might be interesting but this has me thinking about plane tickets to Japan next year. on the one hand i wonder what the language barrier would be like in a theme park like this but also when i think of "i get to ride a yoshi and a mario kart" my mind just goes blank and i revert to being a 10 year old again. it's like the first time I watched the Detective Pikachu trailer.

I will once again offer my services to come up with Nintendo rides up to any secret Universal executives browsing this dumb dead forum if you would like to make my dreams come true

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
The language barrier in Tokyo and other major cities is minimal. English signage everywhere, generally some employee who speaks enough English to help you out, and if all else fails, gesturing and keywords go a long way. Lice your dream.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I had zero problems with language in Tokyo. Especially at the parks. Everyone is super friendly and helpful.

Universal is in Osaka, but I'm sure it's just as fine.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I can report back on Universal Osaka next week if nobody has before then.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Universal Japan is like Tokyo Disneyland in that being in the parks feels a lot like you are in Orlando parks but everything is slightly different. Almost to an uncanny valley level.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Sorry to wander in here but can I ask questions about Disneyland in here? Going there for what is essentially the first time later this fall. I just want to know about food. What are the must try's there (including the hotel restaurants and Downtown Disney).

Also if you have any Disneyland specific tips or advice, that'd be cool.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
https://youtu.be/E-pYdXO1tRY :eyepop:

Edit: warning of jackasses punching women in the middle of Disneyland

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Sorry to wander in here but can I ask questions about Disneyland in here?
Yep, totally fine. Any Disney park discussion is fair game, and we even cover Universal sometimes, too.

I've been pushing for a thread title change for years. "Disney and Universal Parks Megathread"?

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

Sorry to wander in here but can I ask questions about Disneyland in here? Going there for what is essentially the first time later this fall. I just want to know about food. What are the must try's there (including the hotel restaurants and Downtown Disney).

Also if you have any Disneyland specific tips or advice, that'd be cool.

Disneyland:
Blue Bayou (duh)
Bengal BBQ
Tropical Hideaway
Anything in NO square
Zocalo
Everything in Galaxy's Edge including the cantina
If you like corn dogs, they are amazing at Disney.

DCA:
Cozy Cone
Pacific Ward
Lamplight
Carthay Circle

Other:
Trader Sam's.
Every place at GCH (Napa Rose, WW snacks etc. It's allllll good)

Best ride:
Mission Breakout (people will disagree with me, but they are wrong)

Go everywhere, see all the lands. Then go back and see them all again at night.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Nottherealaborn posted:

https://youtu.be/E-pYdXO1tRY :eyepop:

Edit: warning of jackasses punching women in the middle of Disneyland

It was my understanding that security at Disneyland materializes instantly out of thin air. That took forever.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don’t think it was too bad of a response honestly. I’m guessing they don’t have security in Toontown itself, and figure it took 90 seconds for dis to even process the notification, another 120 seconds to respond isn’t that bad.

I haven’t watched the entire video, but I read it was 3 1/2 minutes before security got there.

If it was any other location besides toon town I would expect security would be closer.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

BlueBayou posted:

Disneyland:
Blue Bayou (duh)
Bengal BBQ
Tropical Hideaway
Anything in NO square
Zocalo
Everything in Galaxy's Edge including the cantina
If you like corn dogs, they are amazing at Disney.

DCA:
Cozy Cone
Pacific Ward
Lamplight
Carthay Circle

Other:
Trader Sam's.
Every place at GCH (Napa Rose, WW snacks etc. It's allllll good)

Best ride:
Mission Breakout (people will disagree with me, but they are wrong)

Go everywhere, see all the lands. Then go back and see them all again at night.

Thank ya goon. I'll have to check out their menus. So what makes Mission Breakout better than Tower of Terror, which is hands down the best ride at Hollywood Studios?

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Jose Oquendo posted:

Thank ya goon. I'll have to check out their menus. So what makes Mission Breakout better than Tower of Terror, which is hands down the best ride at Hollywood Studios?

I think Mission Breakout is to Tower of Terror what Aliens is to Alien. It's much more focused on delivering an action-packed thrilling experience, whereas Tower of Terror is about atmosphere and mood culminating in a terrifying drop. Both use the same mechanics to different effects and both are great at what they do.

(Personally, Tower of Terror leaves Mission Breakout in the dust, but that's because MB got stuck with the 'lite' version of the original Tower design- no moving forward, no 5th Dimension scene, etc etc.)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m convinced Tower of Terror is on borrowed time still but I won’t lie I would love to ride MB

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Mission Breakout is good, but I like ToT better. Both are excellent rides.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
They won't be changing our Tower dramatically if ever. The most that might happen is they may remove the twilight zone theme when they don't want to pay CBS residuals, and turn it into just the Tower of Terror with the same basic story but no Rod Serling.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

I really hope the Jordan Peele Twilight Zone gets better with the second season and becomes a runaway hit- I'd gladly sacrifice Peele taking over for Serling if it means the current Tower of Terror theming staying around for decades to come.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Rise of the Resistance Dec 5 at WDW, Jan 17 at DL

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Missing it by 2 whole days. drat.

Gonna pray for dvc or AP previews while we are there I guess.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
drat. Won't see it on my Thanksgiving trip.... Time to book early January in addition....

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

"We're opening it on December 5 because it's Walt's birthday."

Jesus. That is... holy poo poo. I have to lie down after reading that. That is so dumb.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I heard from a reliable source yesterday they were going to announce the opening date for RotR today, but I thought it would be opening sooner than that. I have to admit, I'm a bit relieved. I have a WDW trip planned for the first of Sept and a DL at the end of Sept and I'm kind of hoping people won't bother going until RotR is open and that will mean lighter crowds for me. I am sad that I'll have to wait to ride until sometime in 2020, but I'm willing to take that trade off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Hit quote instead of edit. I'm dumb.