Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

The Cameo posted:

Didn’t he once force his entire production company to board a bus and go to a rented theater and sit and listen to him sing for like two hours on his birthday one year?

Were they getting paid? Is this just an internet interpretation of what happened or was it a work function/party that he was singing at? I'd rather listen to him singing in a theater than a normal loving work meeting. A 62 year old man struggling with a Powerpoint presentation about finances or a sad holiday party in a conference room are much worse and I have to do those all the time.

Maybe I'm just cynical, but work events are always terrible and that sounds like an alright part of the day. Probably some sexy actors/actresses to gawk at while drinking and listening to sub-par standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Rian Johnson only knows how to tell stories about lovely, emotionally constipated white manchildren. Everyone else are just jesters to him. Sick of that dude.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Ariza posted:

Were they getting paid? Is this just an internet interpretation of what happened or was it a work function/party that he was singing at? I'd rather listen to him singing in a theater than a normal loving work meeting. A 62 year old man struggling with a Powerpoint presentation about finances or a sad holiday party in a conference room are much worse and I have to do those all the time.

Maybe I'm just cynical, but work events are always terrible and that sounds like an alright part of the day. Probably some sexy actors/actresses to gawk at while drinking and listening to sub-par standards.

Dream big baby

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Deakul posted:

Also see: The Orville, which is better than it has any right to be, it's just great and if you have any love for Trek at all you should check it out!

I heard a lot of people saying lovely things about Season 1. Can I just go into Season 2?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

stratofarius posted:

I heard a lot of people saying lovely things about Season 1. Can I just go into Season 2?

Season 1 isn't that bad really, it's no more rough than the early seasons of the best Treks.

You just have to get it out of your head COMPLETELY that it's a comedy, everyone made that mistake cause they assumed that because Seth Macfarlane's in it that it's a comedy but it isn't.
It's not a parody, it's just a fun Trek-like that actually has fantastic stories even in season 1.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Live-action Mulan teaser:

https://youtu.be/01ON04GCwKs

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I’m glad they aren’t just reproducing the animated movie shot for shot, I might go see that.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Maybe it's just because I watched Dragon Inn yesterday, but I'm kinda down for Disney doing wuxia?

...did they keep that stupid dragon?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

GrandpaPants posted:

Maybe it's just because I watched Dragon Inn yesterday, but I'm kinda down for Disney doing wuxia?

I would be amazed if there was a little mascot dragon named Mushu in it, but I'm not sure why, that's exactly what they'd do.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I mean, it’s probably their first live-action remake that kind of is okay as a concept. Like, there’s nothing in the original movie’s story that really requires an animated presentation. The new Lion King thing is just stupid; I can totally see how a new take on Mulan can work. It’s not a guaranteed hit, but for the first time, I see the point.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

That's the first of their live-actionr emakes I'm actually interested in.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

wow theyre actually making a movie instead a gag-inducing soulless shot for shot remake
good for them

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Disney.

Suuuuuucks.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's the first of their live-actionr emakes I'm actually interested in.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
A Chinese Disney live action might be the first movie to make a trillion dollars

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

GrandpaPants posted:

I've heard two rumors, one saying Mushu is gone completely, and one saying they're making him a phoenix and not playing him for laughs.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, I'd be surprised if Mushu was in it in any form, as they're even axing the songs (though reportedly folding them into the score). Though maybe there will be a jade dragon statue they reference or something.

Too bad this didn't come out before Aladdin, I would've loved a non-musical, less cartoonish, Thief of Baghdad-inspired take on that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You know, the only song I remember from Mulan is the training one. Did it even have a bunch of songs?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

muscles like this! posted:

You know, the only song I remember from Mulan is the training one. Did it even have a bunch of songs?

It has 4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnUEDaeoF0Q
- Reflections (aka typical Disney protagonist struggle song)
- I’ll Make A Man Out Of You (aka the one everyone remembers)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiqmZLOaD8o

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 8, 2019

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
At first I thought it was cool that Disney was taking a chance on its live action adaptions by moving away from its tried-and-true scene-by-scene recreations. But now I'm thinking: is the only reason they're willing to do this with Mulan because they're making it the genre of movie that does well in China?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I’m the weirdo who really likes “Honor To Us All”.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

BigglesSWE posted:

I’m the weirdo who really likes “Honor To Us All”.

I like that and "A Girl Worth Fighting For", but that one's mostly because it's a happy Disney song that abruptly ends when they discover all their comrades dead bodies.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
All of mulans songs are pretty good really

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

so is Mulan straight out not even bothering to pretend she's a guy? Or are they doing the finale scene in the battlefield instead of that whole thing with the emperor

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

so is Mulan straight out not even bothering to pretend she's a guy? Or are they doing the finale scene in the battlefield instead of that whole thing with the emperor

The whole 'pretending to be a guy' thing is an important part of her lore so they are definitely doing that since the movie is supposed to be more respectful to the original story (hence the lack of songs and cartoon sidekicks).

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

A reminder that we are getting a Dora movie this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI7O5ueP0wk

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

think thats a fantasy sequence

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Are the Huns in Mulan actually the same dudes who were loving up the Roman Empire?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

porfiria posted:

Are the Huns in Mulan actually the same dudes who were loving up the Roman Empire?

Absolutely, they were pushing everybody's poo poo in way back when.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

porfiria posted:

No, the huns never invaded China.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

porfiria posted:

There was a nomadic Confederacy named the Xiongnu in present day Mongolia until the 1st century AD, when they were defeated and pushed out westward by the Han dynasty and other nomad states that rose up in Mongolia. It's possible they were the ancestors of the Huns (based on the names being vaguely similar), but keep in mind the Huns didn't show up until about 300 years later. A culture can change a lot in that span of time, especially if they're hoofing it across Eurasia.

And the Xiongnu were long gone by the time the story of Mulan is supposed to happen (4th to 5th century AD).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kassad posted:

And the Xiongnu were long gone by the time the story of Mulan is supposed to happen (4th to 5th century AD).

And in that era the great wall of China wasn't that great either.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The MSJ posted:

A reminder that we are getting a Dora movie this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI7O5ueP0wk

there is some real bad cgi in this trailer, but also it has Michael Peña and Danny Trejo as an adorable monkey so i dunno

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I want people to go back to training real monkeys like in Raiders of the Lost Ark solely because I appreciate the effort

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I went to check if they fixed the bad CG monkey arm clipping out of her backpack from the first trailer, but they've just cut around it here.

From the first trailer:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 9, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

You know what, I'm actually down for this.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Michael Peña is a goddamned national treasure and I'll watch anything he does, which is why I'm annoyed that he's in Dora because now I'll have to watch it. I don't think his range is great but I'm always delighted when he pops up on screen. I even watched the new CHiPs movie twice!

(Also, love his really terrible 'bad cop' movie with Alexander Skarsgård)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

kiimo posted:

I want people to go back to training real monkeys like in Raiders of the Lost Ark solely because I appreciate the effort

but then you can't make Danny Trejo make monkey sounds and pitch them up to put in your movie...

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

C-Euro posted:

You know what, I'm actually down for this.

Same. This is the first Disney live-action remake trailer that got me hype, and I'm not even a big Mulan fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Sorry for posting anime, which I don't normally watch or care about but,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw7jrQQK3Mc

I didn't know how much I needed a CG Lupin the Third movie in my life until now.