Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They’re doing a whole bunch of classic creator run one shots, so I doubt it will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Cloks posted:

This is the sole omnibus that I own, I hope that the one-shot heralds a revival series.

:)

Reportedly from the back of tomorrow's one-shot.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Teenage Fansub posted:

:)

Reportedly from the back of tomorrow's one-shot.

Excellent.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Fantastic Four Grand Design by Tom Scioli!!! Holy gently caress

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

What the hell was the ending to X-Men Grand Design? Like, it swerved into some weird alternate reality stuff.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

What the hell was the ending to X-Men Grand Design? Like, it swerved into some weird alternate reality stuff.

I mean, it's an X-Men book?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jordan7hm posted:

Fantastic Four Grand Design by Tom Scioli!!! Holy gently caress

Inject it directly into my brain please.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I am way into this. Scioli is awesome, grand design is an awesome concept.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jordan7hm posted:

I am way into this. Scioli is awesome, grand design is an awesome concept.

X-Men worked fine but there's no better pulpy material for his style than Fantastic Four.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
This is loving amazing.

https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1148613749143670785?s=19

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yup, that was Days of Future Past.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I hope piskor is still gonna be doing something, but ff definitely deserves a grand design book so I'm all for it

e: so that spider-ham annual from a couple weeks back is pretty good. they get a lot of mileage out of animal character jokes

site fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 9, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

45 minute Sciolli video interview on F4GD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNZsqBAjsiw

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

site posted:

I hope piskor is still gonna be doing something, but ff definitely deserves a grand design book so I'm all for it

e: so that spider-ham annual from a couple weeks back is pretty good. they get a lot of mileage out of animal character jokes

According to the man himself, the only reason he did X-Men: Grand Design in the first place was he was not okay with a world where the Avengers were cooler than the X-Men and that's how he's felt about their comics for the past decade.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
well, i dont think grand design helped make them any cooler, half the time i was like wtf is even happening, but theyre still great books lol

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Alaois posted:

According to the man himself, the only reason he did X-Men: Grand Design in the first place was he was not okay with a world where the Avengers were cooler than the X-Men and that's how he's felt about their comics for the past decade.

That's wold we've been living in for 15+ years now and even with Hickman I don't see it changing.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

X-O posted:

That's wold we've been living in for 15+ years now and even with Hickman I don't see it changing.

grant morrison's new x-men were way cooler than whatever fuckin bullshit was going on with the avengers in the early 2000s

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well I thought New Avengers was earlier in 2004 but it's actually the very end. So almost 15 years then. New X-Men was already done by that time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Busiek was still rolling on Avengers when Morrison took over X-Men.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I love Busiek's Avengers, and I don't like Morrison's X-Men. But there was a period between there I call the 'The Great Johns-Austen Depression' where Avengers was real real bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That is totally a thing that exists but I was just saying that when GMo took over Xmen Kurt was still chugging along Avengers and it was excellent til the last arc.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Busiek Avengers was good, but not cool.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I mean I'm gonna go ahead and say that what pings Ed Piskor's radar for cool and what pings any of yours is probably miles away from one another considering he thinks Valiant and any book ever put out by Valiant is just stale market-driven bullshit for dads

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

site posted:

From what Piskor's said on his YouTube channel, his next series is gonna be a creator-owned indie thing, but he'll probably do another big-publisher comic after that if he can because he like the idea of a "one for you, one for me" way of working.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Saw the words Grand Design and my brain mixed up Scioli with Piskor. Loved X-Men, but there isn’t a better choice than Scioli for FF.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Saw the words Grand Design and my brain mixed up Scioli with Piskor. Loved X-Men, but there isn’t a better choice than Scioli for FF.

Purestrain Kirby

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Him talking about how much more excited he became about the project after he first drew Black Bolt is great. We need a comic costume thread where I can gush about how Black Bolt’s design is the best.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Scioli is an excellent choice for FF Grand Design, though now I wonder who would be a good choice for an Avengers or Spider-Man Grand Design. I mean, that must be planned down the line.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

radlum posted:

Scioli is an excellent choice for FF Grand Design, though now I wonder who would be a good choice for an Avengers or Spider-Man Grand Design. I mean, that must be planned down the line.

I was thinking about that and I’m struggling to come up with good choices.

Avengers feels like a series where you’d want a pretty standard comics feel, and that lends itself to an artist used to working the artist / writer split.

Erik Larsen for could fit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Erik Larsen is terrible.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Alex ross

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Him talking about how much more excited he became about the project after he first drew Black Bolt is great. We need a comic costume thread where I can gush about how Black Bolt’s design is the best.
:justpost:

radlum posted:

I'd say Ewing for Avengers and Zdarsky for Spider-Man? Although OMD would kind of be the elephant in the room for a Spidey series, I guess.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Michel Fiffe for Spider-Man: Grand Design. You can Google a beautiful piece he drew of Spider-Man and his supporting characters for each decade, so it has been on his mind. I think of him as the same kind of indie writer/artist with love for the mainstream as Piskor and Scioli -- and they're all '80s/'90s kids.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

radlum posted:

Busiek for avengers. Though he's probably done half of the work already through various tie-ins.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Erik Larsen is terrible.

Careful, you're going to wake up that one guy who loves Erik Larsen and will defend anything in Savage Dragon.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The art in the Grand Design books needs to continue to be really old style pulpy. Erik Larsen is very not that. Michel Fiffe is perfect for Spider-Man. And James Stokoe on Avengers please. Also someone like a Benjamin Marra might work even if he's maybe a bit too stylized. Paul Pope could work too.

I mean after Kirby-ing out in Godland Scioli was clearly born to do Fantastic Four.

X-O fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 10, 2019

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

Careful, you're going to wake up that one guy who loves Erik Larsen and will defend anything in Savage Dragon.

I don’t think I’m that guy in particular, but I like Larsen’s work a lot. He’s a hell of a cartoonist, and the stuff he did in the first 100 issues of SD that I read was really impressive. I think he’d actually do interesting stuff with that type of concept.

Fiffe is the best but he should never do anything that takes away from him making more copra for me. Stokoe or Marra on Avengers would be real interesting.

Honestly the person to make spider man grand design should be chip (drawing and writing) but that doesn’t fit for all kinds of reasons.

e: I also don’t think it needs to be old school pulpy. I don’t want to see a run of books ripping off Piskor. I want to see amazing cartoonists I love drawing from the ridiculous history of the comics to present their vision of a part of that history. And ideally those artists are people who don’t otherwise draw for marvel outside of the occasional cover. But all this is obviously just fan wank. I’ll be happy to have just Scioli and Piskor.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 10, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

That guy is also terrible!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i'm gonna say it'll be really ironic if Ed Piskor's indieriffic Marvel-sanctioned/published X-Men fanfiction that he made from the ground up turns into an actual official corporate line of Marvel comic books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So ASM #25 came out today and it was amazing.

We got some great followup regarding the Lizard, had MJ get a chance to shine, a bunch of great backup stories, including a team-up with JJJ, what looks to be setup for another Spider-Man 2099 book, as well as a delightfully bonkers one apparently written by a bot (no really, that's what they said).

I'm interested in what the ending of the main story means, since Kindred seems to be suggesting he'll be going after the rest of the Spider-Family. Is he going to be showing up in their books, too?

Speaking of Spider-Family books, Miles Morales and Black Cat both continue to be splendid. Kinda :ohdear: on what's going on with Miles

I have a few questions about Black Cat, though:
1) Presumably the original deed to Manhattan is from that one time Strange & Clea went back to colonial times, right?
2) Is Xander The Merciless an original character or does he actually show up in some old back issue somewhere?