Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Terror Sweat posted:

Warren didn't shift left, the Democrats shifted right. She's still a Reagan republican, much like Obama

Por que no los dos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Midgetskydiver posted:

There is a stark difference between knowingly saying something is false, and placing a little too much faith in one's own family members being correct about lineage. Her siblings and other family members have stated that they had a relative who was socially ostracized because everyone thought she had native blood. Turns out that was probably not the case but the belief did cause a rift in her family that was real. Warren herself mentions that the relative essentially had to elope in order to get married.

All this to say, as an Oklahoman myself, this sort of thing is very common. Family genealogies in places like Oklahoma from 1880-1960 were extremely janky because there weren't really any strong social institutions to keep detailed family records. This is true all across America in the 19th century (most American genealogies are extremely well kept once you get back to Europe, record keeping in the US was poo poo due to the Catholic Church, the main authority on family records, being a minority religious institution). Plenty of people in OK believe they have native ancestry when they don't, and not all of them are racist liars- some people just genuinely don't know and have gone through situations like Warren where the assumption of native blood wasn't a ploy to get ahead, it was an understandable mistake.

Should people be more diligent in finding out the truth of their ancestry? Sure. Did Warren act pretty tone deaf on this? Yeah. Should you be calling her "a liar" and accusing her of lying "for decades" given her nuanced family response to this? You can, but you sound like someone just trying to win the Leftist purity contest rather than someone making an argument in good faith.

This is an explanation for why you might casually bring up during a conversation "oh yeah here's a story I heard about my grandparents having to elope". She fully pretended she was ethnically Cherokee based on the absolute flimsiest of pretenses, and your attempted explanation here just emphasizes how inherently ridiculous that claim was. I don't see any nuance or evidence of good faith here, I see someone who definitely should know better and who has a very detailed understanding of the nature of evidence and proof who nonetheless was extremely comfortable misrepresenting themselves. I expect a lot more from a literal professor of law.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Either she was cynically exploiting it expecting it to never be questioned or credulous enough to believe it without evidence and think it gives her legitimacy, either way doesn't make it look any better.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Can you imagine how this thread would treat a republican who did the same thing Warren did?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

kidkissinger posted:

Can you imagine how this thread would treat a republican who did the same thing Warren did?

identically.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

:frogout:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Once more, Warren's issues on foreign policy go way beyond I/P. She voted for Trump's military budget increase, for additional sanctions on Iran, thought trump was too easy on nk.

Bernie isn't perfect, but he is the only one to have called for Lula's release, to vote against sanctions on Iran, to not sign the aipac letter condemning the Obama administration for abstaining on the settlements question...

That you have people disingenuously come here and try to claim they are the same is only proof of how everyone recognizes that this is all opportunistic. Yeah, I'm sure that the guy who has railed against Bernie non stop for a year sincerely believes that Warren and Bernie are similar

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Good news guys, the best candidate of them all has wandered in!

https://twitter.com/tomsteyer/status/1148579342680637440?s=21

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

FlamingLiberal posted:

please impeach

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

Bullshit. This is pure pandering, she is not going to reverse on 20 years of stated positions and votes because some protestors cornered her.

correct, she reversed 20 years of stated positions and votes back around late 2016 when she began to prepare to run and has been like this since. which is why every time this comes up people have to link that jacobin piece about her pre-2016 votes (particularly 2014, during 'protective edge' or whatever euphemism israel gave that particular set of attacks on gaza)

on the other hand, that jacobin piece is actually significantly more fair to her than your take here, because it notes that she's basically been good since then and the real question is whether this is a sincerely held change in beliefs or just a necessary political re-positioning

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

eke out posted:

correct, she reversed 20 years of stated positions and votes back around late 2016 when she began to prepare to run and has been like this since. which is why every time this comes up people have to link that jacobin piece about her pre-2016 votes (particularly 2014, during 'protective edge' or whatever euphemism israel gave that particular set of attacks on gaza)

on the other hand, that jacobin piece is actually significantly more fair to her than your take here, because it notes that she's basically been good since then and the real question is whether this is a sincerely held change in beliefs or just a necessary political re-positioning

I don’t think it’s a sincerely held belief but I also don’t think Bernie’s positions on the issue are nearly good enough even though he’s better than the rest of the field.

In summary, :d2a:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

eke out posted:

Do you have that link handy?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Do you have that link handy?

it's this one

eke out fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 9, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Thanks!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

joepinetree posted:

Yeah, I'm sure that the guy who has railed against Bernie non stop for a year sincerely believes that Warren and Bernie are similar

This is always funny.

"Bernie is a racist, and a sexist, and an America-hating commie, and a Zionist, and a (((tax cheat))) and a wealthaphobe bigot, and a (((gold hoarder))), btdubs Elizabeth Warren is exactly the same as him vote Warren"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

FlamingLiberal posted:

Lol at that ratio, straight out of the gate

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Fascinating.

https://twitter.com/gelliottmorris/status/1148549603387744256?s=19

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

What's the MOE here?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

kidkissinger posted:

What's the MOE here?

Economist/YouGov

OH you mean MARGIN of error.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

kidkissinger posted:

What's the MOE here?

29%

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Oh I see the "Bolsonaro will be good for business" folks are still at it.

kidkissinger posted:

What's the MOE here?

10%

https://twitter.com/gelliottmorris/status/1148549604360839168
https://twitter.com/gelliottmorris/status/1148577115593465856

Here's the whole set of tweets.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

lol 10% MOE

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Midgetskydiver posted:

There is a stark difference between knowingly saying something is false, and placing a little too much faith in one's own family members being correct about lineage. Her siblings and other family members have stated that they had a relative who was socially ostracized because everyone thought she had native blood. Turns out that was probably not the case but the belief did cause a rift in her family that was real. Warren herself mentions that the relative essentially had to elope in order to get married.

All this to say, as an Oklahoman myself, this sort of thing is very common. Family genealogies in places like Oklahoma from 1880-1960 were extremely janky because there weren't really any strong social institutions to keep detailed family records. This is true all across America in the 19th century (most American genealogies are extremely well kept once you get back to Europe, record keeping in the US was poo poo due to the Catholic Church, the main authority on family records, being a minority religious institution). Plenty of people in OK believe they have native ancestry when they don't, and not all of them are racist liars- some people just genuinely don't know and have gone through situations like Warren where the assumption of native blood wasn't a ploy to get ahead, it was an understandable mistake.

Having a native ancestor several generations ago does not make you native unless you're going by the one-drop rule, which is extremely problematic for a variety of reasons. Not only because of blood quantum issues, but also because many actual implementations of the one-drop rule specifically did not apply to people who claimed native ancestry, because so many prominent Southern families had long claimed descent from famous Native Americans.

For example, Virginia's Racial Integrity Act, which imposed a one-drop rule as part of an effort to impose "racial purity" for eugenics reasons, had a clause typically called the "Pocahontas Exception" that said whites with a Native ancestor a few generations back would still count as white. This was because basically the entire Virginian aristocracy claimed to be descended in some way from Pocahontas*, and therefore would have been classified as "non-white" if not for that exception.

*The claims of descent from Pocahontas were, in fact, a point of enormous pride for Virginian aristocrats. Not only was she the daughter of a major chief (and therefore an "Indian princess"), but her only grandchild had married a wealthy British aristocrat who was one of the early settlers of Virginia. As such, descent from Pocahontas was considered a sign of top pedigree, as it meant being a descendant of Native "royalty", British aristocracy, and one of the richest and most influential families in the early days of the Virginia colony.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

i like bernie and donated to him last time and will again this time but if he bows out of the race im just gonna go with warren for future donations, she's the most likely person bernie will endorse seeing as the other options include a cop, some racist old white dudes, the alt right's favorite flavor of reasonably attractive twink boy toy of the month, and mystical anti-vaxxer from space who's only saving grace is being very well read on Marx

alternatively, just bet on a warren/bernie or a bernie/warren campaign once one of them takes the nomination, they'll name whoever doesn't get the nomination the VP, and then everyone wins

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Condiv posted:

i'm oklahoman too

my mother told me my great grandmother was native american

i was never dumb enough to try to claim that I was native american

Yeah I'm sure your situation was exactly like hers and now you're pure enough to run for President. Congrats!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Midgetskydiver posted:

Yeah I'm sure your situation was exactly like hers and now you're pure enough to run for President. Congrats!

I also lived in Oklahoma as a kid, yes almost every white kid has a family story about a Native ancestor, no everyone doesn't go around claiming they're Cherokees and getting themselves listed as minorities in academia and employment because "they want to meet others who endured the struggles" that they didn't, ya know, actually endure as white bread kids from the suburbs of Oklahoma City or whatever the gently caress her excuse was.

Do you not get the difference between "hey my family has an interesting story" and "hey I'm a minority, it's cool Harvard go ahead and name-drop my white rear end as an excuse to not hire PoC because my great great grandmother Sacajawea told me I'm a woman of color"

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 9, 2019

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Condiv posted:

i'm oklahoman too

my mother told me my great grandmother was native american

i was never dumb enough to try to claim that I was native american

i also never tried to do dumb poo poo like this:

you know why? because native americans are not like I am. I do not share their experiences or their oppression. neither does loving elizabeth warren

she sure did love to pretend she did though

My family was from Oklahoma and my grandfather stayed on a reservation for a short time. My familial history claimed to be part/strongly native hard in my mom's generation and I heard it my entire life as us claimed to be part Native. I never really did because I was the next generation and things were different and less reliant on oral history by the time I was old enough to care. We're a different generation than her and have more cultural knowledge, and I know my age (40) puts me right at that cusp.

I can easily see why she would think she was part-Native in good faith because my parents' whole generation did; but it's also extremely dumb for how she *currently* handles it in a completely different, more knowledgeable era, and her response to Trump shows it would probably hurt her bad in the general. Lying is still probably the wrong word, though.

Also, my DNA is double hers for Native, so take that, margin of error.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

lol 10% MOE

The raw numbers are even funnier.
  • Total sample, 1500 people.
  • 70%, or 1050 people, were registered voters.
  • Those 1050 people were asked if they voted in the 2016 primaries.
  • 36% of them said they voted in the Dem primary. Those 378 people were asked who they voted for in the 2016 Dem primary
  • 30% of them, or 113 people, said they voted for Sanders

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

eke out posted:

Hahaha "Israel is totally right to bomb schools and hospitals" oh man 2014, wow what a wild year. What a goof!

Wait, am I going to be probated for Ironic racism for that? Let me clarify:

Jesus loving christ what the loving gently caress is wrong with you shitstains? That isn't a mealy mouthed admission that Israel is an american ally doing bad things, its a full throated lust for the death of foreign children and invalids.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Main Paineframe posted:

The raw numbers are even funnier.
  • Total sample, 1500 people.
  • 70%, or 1050 people, were registered voters.
  • Those 1050 people were asked if they voted in the 2016 primaries.
  • 36% of them said they voted in the Dem primary. Those 378 people were asked who they voted for in the 2016 Dem primary
  • 30% of them, or 113 people, said they voted for Sanders
A poll cherry picked to make Sanders look bad? Well I never.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Lol, did people not have taste buds in the 70s?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Glumslinger posted:

that's actually pretty fancy and involved for midwestern cuisine

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

hey can i ask why y'all are playing right into the GOP's hands by sticking to the issue they very specifically exploited to cause division within the ranks here on the left? like, come on, it's obvious

whether warren considers herself native american and whether it's true or not doesn't loving matter right now, or ever really

worry about that poo poo if she makes it to the debate against trump because nobody on the left is going to bother pulling that card unless they're trying to throw things in favor of the repubs

by the way, parroting the GOP's obvious as gently caress hitpiece about warren is really dumb so stop doing it thanks

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://www.instagram.com/p/BzpsvEehosZ/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
End of Evangelion timeline confirmed.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

The Glumslinger posted:

By midwest standards, that's practically Michelin star.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The Glumslinger posted:

This is wayyyyy to little salt

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Iamgoofball posted:

hey can i ask why y'all are playing right into the GOP's hands by sticking to the issue they very specifically exploited to cause division within the ranks here on the left? like, come on, it's obvious

whether warren considers herself native american and whether it's true or not doesn't loving matter right now, or ever really

worry about that poo poo if she makes it to the debate against trump because nobody on the left is going to bother pulling that card unless they're trying to throw things in favor of the repubs

by the way, parroting the GOP's obvious as gently caress hitpiece about warren is really dumb so stop doing it thanks

Funny how that was the line used in 2016 and weirdly enough it backfired then like it would backfire now.

"Shhhh don't mention our weaknesses during the primary that's unfair" is a losing strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The Muppets On PCP posted:

the point about warren's dumb 23 and me goof isn't that she lied about being part cherokee it's that she's easily bullied by trump
So this is kind of a local issue, but I got some insight into how this cuts both ways recently.

The local Native American tribe where I live in Massachusetts has been fighting for federal recognition for a while. Recently an important bill to that end was introduced into the senate by Elizabeth Warren. It was a non-controversial bill, the real issues having been decided before hand.

Trump, presumably having seen the words "Native American" and "Elizabeth Warren" flipped out and made a stupid incoherent tweet opposing the bill, saying it was somehow bad for Native Americans.

There were Republicans calling him out for being irresponsible and loving up the whole process. Getting Trump to make a dumb tweet that pisses off everyone who actually understands the issue is not a huge accomplishment, but this is an example of Trump's obsession with this issue not exactly being to his benefit to him.

Warren hasn't responded to anything Trump has said in a long time. After getting called out for her her dumb genetic test, she listened to the backlash and seems to have learned. Even that test was a misguided attempt at laying the issue to rest, not part of a pattern of Warren engaging with Trump's juvenile barbs.

Going forward I have every expectation that Warren will focus on the issues, rather than Trump and Trump's framing of her, while I expect Trump to put more and more effort into doubling down on his attacks. I do not think this will be to Trump's benefit in a general election.

Ytlaya posted:

As has been mentioned before, at best, even with the most naive and positive perception of Warren as a politician reasonably possible, Warren is a strictly inferior version of Sanders who is worse on several issues and has a far less consistent and reliable background.

Even if you blindly trust her despite having waffled on many of these issues in very recent history, it still makes no sense to support her.
The obvious reason to support her over Sanders is a belief that she has a better shot. Specifically, Sanders style and appeal is well known at this point and it hasn't even gripped as many people as it did in 2016 when he was both the idealistically superior choice and the only "I hate Clinton" choice.

Evidence of hardcore Sanders supporters throwing shade in this thread aside, I think Warren can appeal to people who want things like Medicare for All, a wealth tax, and to break up tech giants, same as Sanders can, but she can also appeal to former Clinton voters and others who are put off by Sanders style. A pragmatic Biden supporter or an identity-focused Harris supporter are more likely to be won over by Warren than Sanders.

If Sanders starts surging in the polls at other candidates expense, I'll reconsider this position, as it would be awesome if he won the nomination, but currently it's Warren who's got that going on.