Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I bought OnePlus 7 after having OP3 for like 3+ years. Are their chargers and cables same spec wise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

Firebase is a set of development tools/frameworks owned by Google. Could've been from anything, but I wouldn't worry about it as it's an official Google product.

I bet it was some app using Firebase Remote Config, a remote feature flag service, and it was sending the toast out of the incorrect context (as a lot of apps wrongly do) so it shows up out of nowhere.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh no I will definitely wait for reviews this time, at least. I'm a little bummed that back-of-phone fingerprint readers seem to be going away, sigh.

Back of the Phone fringer printer reader and headphone jack are 2 of the reasons I picked the LG G8 over other phones.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

My Pixel 3 just threw up a toast saying something like "Firebase configuration updated". From work, I think Firebase has something to do with mobile testing. What would have caused this?

Firebase is the replacement for Google Cloud Messaging.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see there were new posts. :doh:

Lowen SoDium posted:

Back of the Phone fringer printer reader and headphone jack are 2 of the reasons I picked the LG G8 over other phones.

At the same time there's no reason to get crazy and buy an LG.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 10, 2019

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

I would buy an iPhone over an LG phone and I'm never buying an iPhone ever again

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I'm probably one of 4 people that misses the hard home button and the finger print sensor in it

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

CLAM DOWN posted:

I would buy an iPhone over an LG phone and I'm never buying an iPhone ever again

That's how I feel about Samsung.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Each of the manufacturerers have been up and down in the last 5 years except HTC being consistently on the bottom since the M7. LG being pretty low too but everyone has had their fair share of garbage. Hell, you were laughed out of the thread if you got a OnePlus phone a few years ago but now are actually good phones. Also Samsung owns after they stopped obnoxifying their UI.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Any ideas why my phone died so quick? I had battery saver on the whole time too? Besides the screen time it was mostly just stashed in the dashboard cubby and playing podcasts/audible while I drove. I just disabled face unlock I'm not sure if it kept getting tripped or not by vibration or streetlights. Moto G7

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I've had a weird Bluetooth problem -- on my Pixel 1XL, no idea when exactly it developed, but it seemed to be later in its life cause I don't recall it from the beginning, when using wifi and connected to my Bluetooth earbuds ($9 bullshit from Target), if I attempted to start downloading a podcast episode in either of the two different apps I use, within a minute or so my wifi would drop and take ~15 seconds to come back (and would soon drop again if the download was still going and I hadn't disconnected from the earbuds.) Doesn't happen when streaming video or music and that's about the only large-ish download I ever initiate to pay attention to.

Assumed it was a quirk of the 1XL chipset, completely in keeping with the ubiquitous lovely bugs you seem to find in the wireless connectivity of any device like a tablet or game console, however high-end it's supposed to be, that's just a place manufacturers can't resist skimping. Then I got my 3a and have the exact same issue. :shrug:?

I guess I've never tried it with a different make of earbuds (have used two different pairs of the same ones) but that seems like a weird thing to cause the issue?

Oh poo poo, that happens to me on Android auto on my OP6T. I thought it was a cellular/WiFi handoff gently caress up.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

always be closing posted:

Any ideas why my phone died so quick? I had battery saver on the whole time too? Besides the screen time it was mostly just stashed in the dashboard cubby and playing podcasts/audible while I drove. I just disabled face unlock I'm not sure if it kept getting tripped or not by vibration or streetlights. Moto G7

The battery screen really can't help you track down things anymore but it's fairly obvious this one is straight up lying to you about the device being idle. There's really no way to know what caused it.

It's been a long time since we've had a wakelock post though.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

vyst posted:

I'm probably one of 4 people that misses the hard home button and the finger print sensor in it

When I got my Galaxy S i9000 I almost bought a BB because I wasn't sold on touch screens. I thought I'd miss the hard button too but I find just the fake button thing on my P20 fine.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

codo27 posted:

When I got my Galaxy S i9000 I almost bought a BB because I wasn't sold on touch screens. I thought I'd miss the hard button too but I find just the fake button thing on my P20 fine.

What does everyone think of hardware keyboards v software keyboards? Discuss and show your reasoning.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What does everyone think of hardware keyboards v software keyboards? Discuss and show your reasoning.

NO

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I'll bite :q:

Software keyboards > hardware keyboards

Reasoning:

Historical sales,
RIM/BBRY
Apple doesn't use hardware keyboards

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Hardware > Software as I typo less and have ample room to see and type messages in landscape view which is useless currently to input text in with a software keyboard.

Landscape Keyboard > Portrait is also a variability that should be considered here.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My hands and fingers are too big to use most hardware phone keyboards. I loving hate them.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

My hands and fingers are too big to use most hardware phone keyboards. I loving hate them.

Imagine if Blackberry made a keyphone with buttons that were big enough :haw:

Go back to the days of sub-50% screen space.

The Priv, but even bigger keys.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I could type on the hardware keyboard of my old flip phone without even looking at it.

Can't do that on software keyboards.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
:ughh: What have I done

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Android Thread: You can't post about hardware keyboards! You will regret this!

:lol::lol:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I installed a security patch last night and all the voice prompts from my phone suddenly had an Australian accent. For some reason the patch set my location to Australia.

The gently caress, Huawei.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The VPN that funnels all your data to china probably got confused

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm 6'2" with midget hands. Generic roulette landed on some odd numbers with me

I remember my BlackBerry Bold like it was yesterday. My favorite hard keyboard phone

vyst fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 11, 2019

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Droid 2 supremacy

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I won't be happy until we have full mechanical 10-key keyboards on our phone

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Just lol if you're accepting anything less than rotary phone dials. Not simulated ones, the actual control must send little current pulses to the rest of the phone.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Hardware keyboards aren't great since they take up a lot of space but at least they have a function, unlike bezels...

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Bezels are where you put speakers and sensors.

Though i would like to hear the sound quality of a phone with a bottom and top firing speaker setup, a la the iPads Pro.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Facetious posted:

Bezels are where you put speakers and sensors.

Though i would like to hear the sound quality of a phone with a bottom and top firing speaker setup, a la the iPads Pro.

It's glorious if you care to watch anything in stereo which is a joke really. On the other hand for something like hiking, not too bad!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

Hardware keyboards aren't great since they take up a lot of space but at least they have a function, unlike bezels...

Already everybody, marry/gently caress/kill but with keyboards/bezels/SD cards

Weedle
May 31, 2006

My wife’s Nokia 6.1 has developed an issue where it won’t charge unless restarted with the cable plugged in. It does not exhibit this problem in safe mode or if the cable is plugged in after booting the phone but before the first unlock after boot, so I’m guessing there is a rogue app of some kind that loads after the first unlock and is preventing the phone from charging. Is there a way to figure out which app it is other than simply deleting apps one by one until it starts working normally again?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Kill/Kill/Kill, respectively.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Weedle posted:

My wife’s Nokia 6.1 has developed an issue where it won’t charge unless restarted with the cable plugged in. It does not exhibit this problem in safe mode or if the cable is plugged in after booting the phone but before the first unlock after boot, so I’m guessing there is a rogue app of some kind that loads after the first unlock and is preventing the phone from charging. Is there a way to figure out which app it is other than simply deleting apps one by one until it starts working normally again?

It sounds like a misconfiguration in that screen you get when you plug in a device. Have you tried a different charger/cable?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

This post is written on a Key 2 physical keyboard and it feels gooooood :agesilaus:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Mister Facetious posted:

I swear one of my previous phones had speakers on the top and bottom. Pixel XL? Moto X3? I remember having to cup my hands on both ends to get the sound to come at my face and thinking how stupid that was.

edit: not the XL, I've still got that sitting in my room

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The Nokia 6.1 I briefly owned had a single down facing speaker. The single speaker was fine (except with poorly mixed videos), but I would end up covering the speaker with my hand as I was holding it and that drove me insane.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

LastInLine posted:

gently caress keyboards
Marry SD cards
Kill bezels

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'd use again a HTC One M7 with updated specs and bit slimmer. Hell, I'd get used to the 4.7" screen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Guillermus posted:

I'd use again a HTC One M7 with updated specs and bit slimmer. Hell, I'd get used to the 4.7" screen again.

The M7 was such a good phone.