Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Elidibus was the "reasonable" one, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

More post-MSQ spoiler thoughts: I see a lot people running with the idea that the WoL is an Ascian. Is this making some logical leaps or did I miss something? We're definitely getting help from one (certainly the one from the earlier cutscene), but I didn't really come to the conclusion that we are literally one.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Aww I got botp'd.

BrightWing posted:

I swore off the thread around level 72 cause I knew I'd want to read people's reactions and it was worth it. Echoing the story being great all around.

Also, jumping on the spoiler photo bandwagon, super late MSQ spoilers, don't click:

More of y'all need to swap to bara cats:

E: Don't forget spoiler tags Bright!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Azubah posted:

Elidibus is the one who insists he's the diplomatic one while constantly stabbing you in the back (I don't think people give enough credit to how ridiculously two-faced his claims of diplomatic immunity are).

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

SettingSun posted:

More post-MSQ spoiler thoughts: I see a lot people running with the idea that the WoL is an Ascian. Is this making some logical leaps or did I miss something? We're definitely getting help from one (certainly the one from the earlier cutscene), but I didn't really come to the conclusion that we are literally one.

We're not an Ascian proper, but it's been implied that we are a reflection of one of them, so one of the 14 aspects of an Ascian left after the sundering split almost all of them up into 14 pale reflections of what they once were. In theory, I guess we would be an Ascian if we managed to recombine with the remaining aspects kicking about.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SettingSun posted:

So, this sort of depends on how you define "Ascian." We're not an Ascian in the sense that we're tempered by Zodiark, but we are heavily implied to be the 14th council member who helped create Hydaelyn (or, rather, one shard of that Amaurotian's soul, of which Ardbert was another). Fusing with Ardbert brings is closer to our original Amaurotian soul, which also brings us closer to the powers the Ascians have and is why Emet-Selch saw the WoL as a hooded Amaurotian figure briefly. He recognizes that we're becoming "whole" and also recognizes who that soul used to be.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Failboattootoot posted:

We're not an Ascian proper, but it's been implied that we are a reflection of one of them, so one of the 14 aspects of an Ascian left after the sundering split almost all of them up into 14 pale reflections of what they once were. In theory, I guess we would be an Ascian if we managed to recombine with the remaining aspects kicking about.

I liked the idea that We're the 14th member of the Ascian council, and/or we're Emet's friend who talked to us while we were waiting.

Also i can't be the only person disappointed that We didn't get those robes we did the fetchquest for.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

I suspect this is going to be a really unpopular opinion, but I feel like Black Mage is... kind of awkward? Specifically, I really don't know what Fire I is doing here anymore. It just feels vestigial to me. Obviously I know what to use it for (refresh Astral Fire when you don't have a Firestarter proc) but that just kind of feels like an unnecessary extra button to me. Plus it makes setting up hotbars for scaling down much more of a pain.

I find myself wishing that Fire IV and Blizzard IV just replaced their rank-I versions while Enochian is active, maybe with a trait that makes Enochian lower Fire III's cast time to 2.5s while active. I dunno, something like that. Just that one change would smooth things out a ton, I think.

Maybe there's some nuance there that I'm missing but that a more experienced BLM player can point out and then I will feel suitably stupid.

Then again, I'm also the guy who despised SB BRD for having way too many plates to keep spinning and procs to keep hitting so it could be that I just have insanely bad opinions. And to be clear, I think BLM is a really cool and fun job on the whole. There are just a couple things that feel really clunky to me and it's hard for me to really reconcile it.

Fire 1 serves a few purposes. Fire 3 has a way higher mana cost and the rotation has pretty specific mana costs.

More to the point the Fire 1 cast interacts with Sharp cast which gives you a free cast of Fire 3 which in turn translates to extra mobility and damage.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Minfilia was never compelling as a character for me but Ryne works well and everyone comparing her to Lyse is wrong. The family dynamic with Thancred is emotionally moving and good.

Also Zenos is just Sephiroth and that's fine.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kurieg posted:

Also i can't be the only person disappointed that We didn't get those robes we did the fetchquest for.

Great news: you can still get it. The Altered Linen Cowl - a new low level WVR recipe - is close to a 1-1 of the Amaurot robe, complete with the little face mask.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Ibblebibble posted:

The problem is we've shifted away from nailing the perfect wildfire to always keeping Drill/AA on cooldown no matter what, which gets really awkward sometimes. At least in 4.5 MCH all your cooldowns synced together really nicely as long as you did your rotation right. Instead of a rotation that repeated pretty much perfectly every 60 seconds (outside of Hypercharge which was pretty easy to fit in), you have whatever monstrosity there is now where the two skills that dictate the rest of your rotation are affected by skillspeed and so you have some insane ungodly thing where you only repeat your stuff every 4.59 minutes or so. Watching your Drill/AA cooldowns like a hawk to figure out when you can use Hypercharge also sucks balls. I wish we had a heat dump that didn't come with 8 seconds of commitment.

New MCH is pretty fun if you don't particularly care to optimise, and that's fine. It's great in dungeons with all the AoE it can poo poo out. I guess the joke's on me for caring about raid optimisation.

There that's my new MCH rant complete.

Out of curiosity, at what point do these crazy optimizations become vital to success? Is it only really necessary in Savage content, or do you need it for EX primals/normal raids? Half tempted to pick up MCH, but most of the reason I'm moving away from SMN is the piano spam. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kurieg posted:

I liked the idea that We're the 14th member of the Ascian council, and/or we're Emet's friend who talked to us while we were waiting.

I'm pretty sure it's not the latter, because Emet's friend straight up wonders if Emet's realized how strongly you remind him of "him/her" (depending on your gender). If we weren't the 14th member of the council, we still were apparently someone notable and powerful in Amaurot, and seemingly a close friend of Emet.

I took that to be why Emet takes us fighting against him so hard. In the age past that Emet's trying to bring back, we were one of his peers and closest friends, but now we're fighting against him.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Random, but I just saw a Shadowbringers ad on the side of a bus. I started playing right after Stormblood came out but I don't remember seeing this much advertising for it then.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

cum calamity posted:

Minfilia was never compelling as a character for me but Ryne works well and everyone comparing her to Lyse is wrong. The family dynamic with Thancred is emotionally moving and good.

Also Zenos is just Sephiroth and that's fine.

Zenos is more like a Kefka, he sows chaos by taking advantage of his privileged position in an ordered empire in service to selfish goals related to a nihilistic worldview and possibly the effects of magitek experimentation on his body and mind. the major difference being that he's intensely obsessed with the hunt and is far from cowardly.

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 9, 2019

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

small bird pudding posted:

Random, but I just saw a Shadowbringers ad on the side of a bus. I started playing right after Stormblood came out but I don't remember seeing this much advertising for it then.

They stepped up their marketing for sure, what with the ads like this and in Times Square, along with the bigass press tour in May/June

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

cum calamity posted:

big :same: i never liked minfilia, absolutely loathed lyse, but Ryne is great.

i was worried before launch that she'd be just like the other two but they actually did her arc really well. they even changed her hair color to not be blonde!

...maybe i just really hate blondes for some reason.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Fire 1 serves a few purposes. Fire 3 has a way higher mana cost and the rotation has pretty specific mana costs.

More to the point the Fire 1 cast interacts with Sharp cast which gives you a free cast of Fire 3 which in turn translates to extra mobility and damage.

I guess I'm more wondering what purpose it serves from a design perspective. Like I wonder what would be lost, fun-wise, if Fire 3 just had a lower MP cost and cast time when you're under Enochian and Fire 1 (along with Firestarter) just went away. I guess it would take away from Sharpcast? I'm not sure.

I get what the purpose of it is as the job currently works, just not necessarily why it was designed the way it is, if that makes sense.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ImpAtom posted:

Also to the point, isn't Fire / Blizzard 4's whole gimmick that they don't refresh the astral buff or enochian?

IIRC Blizzard phases don't last long enough for that to matter, you'll be full mana and back to fire before the Astral Ice cooldown comes off, but fire phases you still want to mix a fire one in the mix (and fire 3 if your firestarter proc hits) to keep Astral Fire rolling before you Blizzard 3 back into Astral Ice.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harrow posted:

So, this sort of depends on how you define "Ascian." We're not an Ascian in the sense that we're tempered by Zodiark, but we are heavily implied to be the 14th council member who helped create Hydaelyn (or, rather, one shard of that Amaurotian's soul, of which Ardbert was another). Fusing with Ardbert brings is closer to our original Amaurotian soul, which also brings us closer to the powers the Ascians have and is why Emet-Selch saw the WoL as a hooded Amaurotian figure briefly. He recognizes that we're becoming "whole" and also recognizes who that soul used to be.

It is heavily implied that we already have seven (eight now with Ardbert) shards rejoined within ourselves, which is why we are such a generally neverending font of aether, which when paired with the Blessing of Crystalmom and The Echo is what makes us Such An Actual Big Deal, Actually

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Leofish posted:

Your Hrothgar looks a lot like mine, but I went Helion instead of Lost. I honestly felt the same way about the Orc thing. Kinda nostalgic, in a way. With green skin options, I considered making the closest facsimile to my old Orc Warrior as I could, but I ended up sticking with the old lion look. I'm still not 100% sold on him yet.

I've played as Elezen for most of my time on this game, with a brief transition to Miqo'te that I rather enjoyed, but it's kind of strange to be so w i d e. It's got me rearranging all of my glams that don't work as well anymore. The Hingan merchant's haori looks abysmal on Hrothgar, but the Filibuster tank coat, which was too puffy on my elf, looks amazing on my man cat.

Like, holy poo poo, the Hrothgar body model is one thiccccc bih. I like the way he moves and emotes and sounds, (voice 1 for this old fart, 9 for the younger version of him) but all my glamour were originally made for a Roegadame, and so many of them are just not suitable for the new bodytype.

Also, he can't wear big doofy hats, which is like, half my AST glamour, so that's a severe disappointment.

Azubah posted:

Sure. The same way that Thanos's proposition to every planet was portrayed as reasonable in the movie.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 9, 2019

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Shadowbringers wishes it had Stormblood's best advertisement.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

Also to the point, isn't Fire / Blizzard 4's whole gimmick that they don't refresh the astral buff or enochian?

IIRC Blizzard phases don't last long enough for that to matter, you'll be full mana and back to fire before the Astral Ice cooldown comes off, but fire phases you still want to mix a fire one in the mix (and fire 3 if your firestarter proc hits) to keep Astral Fire rolling before you Blizzard 3 back into Astral Ice.

Yeah, I get that, but what I mean is that Fire and Fire 3 serve the same purpose once you're in Astral Fire: to refresh the buff. It's just that there are two spells that do the same thing there, one that we use when we have a proc and one that we use when we don't. What I'm asking is what the purpose of having that extra spell is, from a "how this class feels to play/how it's designed" perspective, that's all. What would be the harm in just lowering Fire 3's MP cost and cast time so it can just fill Fire 1's role and not require two buttons that do basically the same job?

Like I understand how the class works right now, I just think it could work a slightly different way while also saving a couple hotbar buttons and having one fewer "busywork" spell.

I mean, maybe that extra button is just there to introduce an extra way to gently caress up your rotation? Things like accidentally casting Fire out of Umbral Ice and dropping Enochian, or hardcasting Fire III during Astral Fire and wasting time/MP, and having that extra thing to think about is important?

As a side note, does anyone have tips for hotbar setups that make it less awkward to scale down as BLM? Every other caster has more powerful spells that just replace weaker ones, but for BLM, I have a hard time setting up my bars so that it's comfortable to play both pre- and post-Enochian.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 9, 2019

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
Hey this is a good video game. Gunburger and Warrior both feel good at level 80 but the tank queue times do not.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Azubah posted:

Man I don’t even know about that dude anymore (end of ShB MSQ spoilers)

He hijacks Zenos’s body to... I guess do similar stuff Zenos would do and try to fight the WoL, leaving the hard stuff like politics and creating a super magic nerve gas to Emet Selech and Varis. And I guess to troll Varis a lot too. He fucks up beating the WoL and goes back to Garlemald to do gently caress all, and then gets spooked by Zenos so hard he leaves the body and retreats to the loving moon? And now he’s like “all oh my allies are dead and Zenos is probably going to run the empire straight into the ground within a week, but I know what will do it; this time, send Warriors or Light after the WoL mwhahaa!”

MechaX fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 9, 2019

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

BisbyWorl posted:

Out of curiosity, at what point do these crazy optimizations become vital to success? Is it only really necessary in Savage content, or do you need it for EX primals/normal raids? Half tempted to pick up MCH, but most of the reason I'm moving away from SMN is the piano spam. :v:

they aren't. You'll never notice 100 random potency in a parse.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I get that, but what I mean is that Fire and Fire 3 serve the same purpose once you're in Astral Fire: to refresh the buff. It's just that there are two spells that do the same thing there, one that we use when we have a proc and one that we use when we don't. What I'm asking is what the purpose of having that extra spell is, from a "how this class feels to play/how it's designed" perspective, that's all. What would be the harm in just lowering Fire 3's MP cost and cast time so it can just fill Fire 1's role and not require two buttons that do basically the same job?

Like I understand how the class works right now, I just think it could work a slightly different way while also saving a couple hotbar buttons and having one fewer "busywork" spell.

I mean, maybe that extra button is just there to introduce an extra way to gently caress up your rotation? Things like accidentally casting Fire out of Umbral Ice and dropping Enochian, or hardcasting Fire III during Astral Fire and wasting time/MP, and having that extra thing to think about is important?

As a side note, does anyone have tips for hotbar setups that make it less awkward to scale down as BLM? Every other caster has more powerful spells that just replace weaker ones, but for BLM, I have a hard time setting up my bars so that it's comfortable to play both pre- and post-Enochian.

Here is my BLM tip, never do scaled content on BLM. Seriously though, SE needs to not take away abilities when level synced because some jobs just aren’t worth playing due to them not having more complexity than two buttons at low level or all of their QoL stuff being high level.

On Fire I/III I feel like they wouldn’t want to make Fire III replace Fire I under Enochian because F3 has always been an ability you do not hard cast under astral. Also it gives you a movement option with forced (sharp) fire starter proc even though T3 is probably the better use of sharp at 80.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

BisbyWorl posted:

Savage only.

I’ve never done savage stuff. I’ve never looked at rotation guides ever. Just figured out what buttons I think is best to hit when and generally seem to do good damage that I’m never being yelled at. I’ve cleared Ex Primals no problem, both on my BRD and now am doing them with DNC since I switched mains with ShB.

I mean, if you always see yourself doing badly or plan to do savage definitely follow it, but you can do 90% of the content without needing to research that.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Impermanent posted:

they aren't. You'll never notice 100 random potency in a parse.

that's coward's talk

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A LOT of insane optimization genuinely does b's matter unless you are aiming for world first stuff. All DPS checks are passable if you are just using your skills properly. Learning to optimize is more for fun or maximizing farming.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Maguoob posted:

Here is my BLM tip, never do scaled content on BLM. Seriously though, SE needs to not take away abilities when level synced because some jobs just aren’t worth playing due to them not having more complexity than two buttons at low level or all of their QoL stuff being high level.

On Fire I/III I feel like they wouldn’t want to make Fire III replace Fire I under Enochian because F3 has always been an ability you do not hard cast under astral. Also it gives you a movement option with forced (sharp) fire starter proc even though T3 is probably the better use of sharp at 80.

Level 50 was the only time I really enjoyed playing Black Mage.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i got samurai to 76 and got that ability that lets me recast an iaijutsu with higher potency and i've been erect ever since

this is a good ability

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
If you can do mechanics and not die while hitting literally any button, any button at all even completely at random whenever you are able to you are in the top 5% of players.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i poop fire posted:

Hey this is a good video game. Gunburger and Warrior both feel good at level 80 but the tank queue times do not.

I anticipate them settling down within a few months, but it's not as sure a bet as it once was. Gunbreaker's genuinely excellent in aesthetics and gameplay and feels more like a DPS job than any of the other tanks, and the general tank updates were super solid and made the jobs far more accessible. I also wouldn't be surprised if the difficulty bump in Holminster Switch ended up driving away a lot of people from leveling up healers. Having run it a bunch on both sides of the tank/healing fence, damage output from trash is bizarrely high compared to even Dohn Megh. Early double pulls in DM are fairly lackadaisical, but early double pulls in HS feel like I'm seconds away from getting my rear end kicked constantly.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
You shouldn't play MCH if you aren't ready to YEE HAW.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Maguoob posted:

Yeah, maybe that's the answer. I also have SCH and WHM at 70 so I'll just do all my roulettes on them. :v:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Harrow posted:

I mean, I would argue that BLM has way less busywork spells compared to SUM or RDM as is. I understand why BLM still has to fire1 in later dungeons for the same reason RDM still has to Jolt. There's a good argument to be had for Blizzard 3 to completely overwrite Blizzard 1 since it basically already does so mechanically, similarly with Freeze and Blizzard 2. I think doing that with the fire spells maybe makes BLM a little too simple. Astral Ice basically lives as a literal cooldown period and you don't spend a whole bunch of time in it, so it makes sense for it to be pretty simple. But I think the fire phase should be more engaging in terms of minute to minute decision making w/r/t using fire1/firestarter to keep AF/enochian up, when to flare/dispair, and things of that nature

In terms of what to do when downleveling - keep a extra hotbar with the old outdated spells that you turn on when you're level syncing?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Awesome Animals posted:

You are all cute ITT. Please don't ever stop sharing selfies.

Feeling cute, might become the Warrior of Darkness later.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Note Block posted:

You shouldn't play MCH if you aren't ready to YEE HAW.

https://twitter.com/Kaubocks/status/1144813924182659072

(audio required)

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

SettingSun posted:

There's a point where Emet is talking about the sundering and then slips in "Not that you'd remember." Also the scene where you're talking to the self-aware Ascian shade and he mentions that you and Aldbert have the same soul, implying that the two of you are sundered from one of the Ascians who summoned Hydealyn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Post-MSQ stuff So the impression I got is that everyone is descended from the people who existed before the sundering but it seems like that might not be whats happening? Does everyone have a split soul and we're special because ours was the Ascian who left the council or are we double special by having a split soul and being connected to the Ascian who defected?