Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

oystertoadfish posted:

yeah i was gonna ask, did that stage just kinda reaffirm things we already knew?

the dutch team stringing their guy's lead out for another day was pretty cool i spose, but i take it there aren't any real challengers there

WOUT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

oystertoadfish posted:

yeah i was gonna ask, did that stage just kinda reaffirm things we already knew?

the dutch team stringing their guy's lead out for another day was pretty cool i spose, but i take it there aren't any real challengers there

Kruisjswijk is their GC guy, he's had some solid GT results (though without a podium) and might have a shout if the race is as open as the media keeps saying it is (it's not and Ineos will choke it down once the real stages start)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They could hold the yellow for a while if they can manage the breakaways.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

thanks yall

i assume there's no semblance of a salary cap in this thing? it doesn't seem like it with skyineos kind of buying half the contenders, it seems

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

oystertoadfish posted:

thanks yall

i assume there's no semblance of a salary cap in this thing? it doesn't seem like it with skyineos kind of buying half the contenders, it seems

nah. a problem is that it's not really sure that a salary cap is desirable anyway because cyclists don't really make that much money. also a part of it is that Ineos somewhat borrow the US Postal playbook of focusing mostly on the Tour. like Ineos have 19 race wins this year while Quickstep have something ridiculous like 50 (because they concentrate hard on the one-day classics and european tour races)

the whole "sky dominating everything" thing has mostly been visible at the TDF, honestly the rest of it is "Quickstep win like all the classics" though they aren't as boring about it as Sky so people don't viscerally hate them as much

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Kruisjswijk is their GC guy, he's had some solid GT results (though without a podium) and might have a shout if the race is as open as the media keeps saying it is (it's not and Ineos will choke it down once the real stages start)

He can get far by being consistent. He's usually at his best in the third week, but I see him losing time when things blow up on a stage like thursday's La Planche des Belle Filles.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Feels Villeneuve posted:

He was going to win that Giro, and then he decided to ride straight into a snowbank...

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

Pro typo on the SBS live coverage

Only registered members can see post attachments!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Legit my favourite thing the UCI have done.

https://twitter.com/kubawinter/status/1147859917694537729?s=19

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I really wish Israel would get a new tourism ad, they’ve been playing this one for at least 2 years.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wellens gonna get that jersey

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Alaphilippe off like a rocket

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
this stage was always going to be Alaphilippe, wasn't it

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
King of France wants his shirt.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Meanwhile, over in the women's peloton.

The Giro Rosa just finished its 4th stage and I love this race so much.
Yesterday Lucy Kennedy from Mitchelton Scott lost her first tour stage victory because she celebrated too early and Marianne Vos came up from nowhere to beat her on the finish line.
https://twitter.com/faustocoppi60/status/1147989290506498049

And then the same thing happened today when Nadia Quagliotto of Ale Cipollini celebrated her supposed win in a tight sprint finish, and came second to Letizia Borghesi instead.
https://twitter.com/lacambramanel/status/1148215838165610497

Which gave us an amazing podium photo.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Come on Julian!!!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
sad we didn't get to see the peloton descend into town on that narrow track

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He might feel that tomorrow.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
was wondering why Alaphilippe walked off before his interview, and

https://twitter.com/LeTour/status/1148248575899590658

:france:

e) a split in the peloton means that Bernal and Pinot gained 5 seconds on the other GC riders

:siren: Bernal confirmed Ineos leader??????? :siren:

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 8, 2019

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

First Frenchman in yellow since Tony Gallopin 5 years ago.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
He might hang onto that for a lot longer than people expect too. If he gets through stage 6 he might have it for awhile.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Wow, today's stage freaking ruled. They should have more of those instead of all of the ones that suck poo poo. Plus there might be a French Tour winner. Hop to it, ASO

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm assuming from all the posts that today's stage was just as good.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

peanut- posted:

I'm assuming from all the posts that today's stage was just as good.

Van Vleuten smashed it an put near enough three minutes into everyone on the final climb.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The street furniture promised carnage and delivered nothing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
sprint stages are rest days for the viewers

e) someone pointed this out but alaphillipe's win was even more impressive because everyone knew he was going to try something like that. incredibly difficult to win from a solo attack that everyone sees coming

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

So a cool thing would be to not let Lance Armstrong anywhere near a UCI bike race, including providing commentary on the loving thing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I was in Iceland and trying to find a channel with coverage. Picked S4C, and explained to my wife how a lot of bike race coverage is in Dutch and how much it sounds like English, only to realize several minutes later that the channel was Welsh.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010

Dangerllama posted:

So a cool thing would be to not let Lance Armstrong anywhere near a UCI bike race, including providing commentary on the loving thing.

His podcast with George Hincapie is pretty awesome. They release one after every stage and provide some good commentary/insights to the race.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The UCI fan survey hammers on questions about using race radio so they're clearly at least thinking about restricting it.

https://www.research.net/r/UCI_Fan_Survey

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They should allow one dedicated radioman per team and he has to power a big valve radio on his back with a really sticky dynamo.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

marsisol posted:

His podcast with George Hincapie is pretty awesome. They release one after every stage and provide some good commentary/insights to the race.

So…here’s the part where I’m a huge hypocrite. I do listen to The Move or The Forward or whatever he’s calling it these days, if only for lack of comparable content.

I think the biggest difference is that his podcast is his own project that isn’t associated with cycling in any official capacity. So listening to him on my drive to work is a guilty pleasure (plus I can’t imagine he’s making it rain with all that compression sock money), while seeing him on NBC feels like people have forgotten or forgiven what a complete and total rear end in a top hat he is.

Johan’s insights are really good, though.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Contador looks even less happy about being on the stupid scooter than Wiggins did.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IIRC he's literally banned from entering the controlled areas of UCI races unless he isn't technically banned from cycling anymore

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
chain Lance down in Texas and let him do his podcast.

Let’s all pray tom skujijnjs doesn’t crash

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
the good wout

https://twitter.com/nbcsncycling/status/1148978025482072065?s=21

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

https://twitter.com/CaleyFretz/status/1148980191139651585?s=19

Ineos are using lightweights. I feel physically sick.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ban this sick filth

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Haven't watched today's stage yet and just spoiled the results for myself all so I could post this tweet

https://twitter.com/faustocoppi60/status/1148992673828749315?s=19

What a legendary binman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Remember when we all liked Nairo and he was going to save us all then he turned 50 and welp