Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Feels like Dancer has to be the most relaxing job in the game to play. Feather generation is pretty slow and steady and you can bank four of the things, the procs have a generous berth of time to use them in and don't interfere with the combo, dances have a huge goddamn radius so you don't need to be up the boss's rear end to use them.. it's all really, really good.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Post-MSQ stuff So the impression I got is that everyone is descended from the people who existed before the sundering but it seems like that might not be whats happening? Does everyone have a split soul and we're special because ours was the Ascian who left the council or are we double special by having a split soul and being connected to the Ascian who defected?

I think it's the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

Post-MSQ stuff So the impression I got is that everyone is descended from the people who existed before the sundering but it seems like that might not be whats happening? Does everyone have a split soul and we're special because ours was the Ascian who left the council or are we double special by having a split soul and being connected to the Ascian who defected?

It's somewhat unclear. It was established that in XIV, souls are "recycled". If someone dies, their soul returns to the lifestream until it's reborn into someone else. So it could very well be that every soul that exists in the current time also existed at the time of Amaurot. We may be "special" purely in the sense that we were a high-ranking citizen of Amaurot. But not a lot is made clear about the lives that came into being after Zodiark, save that Hydaelyn exists to protect them. Are those the same souls as those who died in the calamity? I don't think that was clearly answered.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

Vermain posted:

I anticipate them settling down within a few months, but it's not as sure a bet as it once was. Gunbreaker's genuinely excellent in aesthetics and gameplay and feels more like a DPS job than any of the other tanks, and the general tank updates were super solid and made the jobs far more accessible. I also wouldn't be surprised if the difficulty bump in Holminster Switch ended up driving away a lot of people from leveling up healers. Having run it a bunch on both sides of the tank/healing fence, damage output from trash is bizarrely high compared to even Dohn Megh. Early double pulls in DM are fairly lackadaisical, but early double pulls in HS feel like I'm seconds away from getting my rear end kicked constantly.

I've just switched to healer after playing GNB/War and the only time I've had a tank die was on the last double pull of Dohn Mheg. He wasn't using cooldowns, but I was spending all my GCDs and Aetherflow on his health and I just couldn't keep him up.

That's not to say HM is easier, because it isn't, but there's parts of DM that poo poo out lots of damage too.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Magil Zeal posted:

It's somewhat unclear. It was established that in XIV, souls are "recycled". If someone dies, their soul returns to the lifestream until it's reborn into someone else. So it could very well be that every soul that exists in the current time also existed at the time of Amaurot. We may be "special" purely in the sense that we were a high-ranking citizen of Amaurot. But not a lot is made clear about the lives that came into being after Zodiark, save that Hydaelyn exists to protect them. Are those the same souls as those who died in the calamity? I don't think that was clearly answered.

My impression is that the split souls are the Ascians who were alive at the time Hydaelen was summoned, given that dividing worlds and beings is established to be her gimmick. We don't know how widely the Ascians were spread, if they were confined to Amaurot or if there were other civilizations in the world - we know there were inhabited places besides Amaurot, but not whether they were Ascians or some other race or civilization. Given the nature of population growth, it's quite possible that there are lots of genuinely new souls around.

My personal theory at this point is that everyone with an Echo is a shard of someone from Amaurot who was alive when Hydaelen was summoned, and that the Echo is rooted in a collective unconscious mind and memory of everything that one soul has learned and experienced throughout its existence across all its shards. But because of the way the sundering worked, those with the Echo on the Source inherit the combined power of the Rejoined shards.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Krabboss posted:

I've just switched to healer after playing GNB/War and the only time I've had a tank die was on the last double pull of Dohn Mheg. He wasn't using cooldowns, but I was spending all my GCDs and Aetherflow on his health and I just couldn't keep him up.

That's not to say HM is easier, because it isn't, but there's parts of DM that poo poo out lots of damage too.

I mean, if he's not burning defense cooldowns on ShB double pulls, he kind of deserves to get pasted until he learns.

The thing I've picked up thus far from healing and tanking ShB dungeons is that the trash is harder than the bosses if you start double pulling. Straight up wall pulling is downright suicidal.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Cythereal posted:

My impression is that the split souls are the Ascians who were alive at the time Hydaelen was summoned, given that dividing worlds and beings is established to be her gimmick. We don't know how widely the Ascians were spread, if they were confined to Amaurot or if there were other civilizations in the world - we know there were inhabited places besides Amaurot, but not whether they were Ascians or some other race or civilization. Given the nature of population growth, it's quite possible that there are lots of genuinely new souls around.

My personal theory at this point is that everyone with an Echo is a shard of someone from Amaurot who was alive when Hydaelen was summoned, and that the Echo is rooted in a collective unconscious mind and memory of everything that one soul has learned and experienced throughout its existence across all its shards. But because of the way the sundering worked, those with the Echo on the Source inherit the combined power of the Rejoined shards.

This ties in well with it being called the echo because those who have have souls that are echos of those from the distant past

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

With regards to the soul chat: everyone is definitely a divided soul. That's Emet-Selch's beef with people is that everyone is a defective, broken soul by his standards. A fragment of what was once a full person. The WoL might be special because they're a piece of the same soul as Ardbert, and that one person that Emet-Selch used to know.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

DeathSandwich posted:

I mean, if he's not burning defense cooldowns on ShB double pulls, he kind of deserves to get pasted until he learns.

The thing I've picked up thus far from healing and tanking ShB dungeons is that the trash is harder than the bosses if you start double pulling. Straight up wall pulling is downright suicidal.
Yeah I ran into a guy doing that in the 79 dungeon. Kind of an rear end in a top hat about it. On the up side I hit 80 so hey! :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Glagha posted:

With regards to the soul chat: everyone is definitely a divided soul. That's Emet-Selch's beef with people is that everyone is a defective, broken soul by his standards. A fragment of what was once a full person. The WoL might be special because they're a piece of the same soul as Ardbert, and that one person that Emet-Selch used to know.

I'm not sure about that

I suspect only people with the Echo are Amaurotines, but with the Umbral Calamities and whatnot killing Literally Millions it seems unlikely there were enough Amaurotines for EVERYONE to be one. They were one civilization on one continent.

If there are new souls Emet-Selch would still consider them fragments by virtue of being likewise "diminished".

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

DeathSandwich posted:

I think he probably knew better because his search info said he's a PLD main with clears of Titania/Innocence Ex. I am giving him the benefit of the doubt and guessing he just mismanaged his cooldowns and didn't have any on that final pull. It's also possible I hosed up and fat fingered something without realising it, since I haven't touched SCH since the second week of Stormblood I think.

The tank-melting aspect of ShB dungeons becomes less of a thing as you go up in levels I feel. The last couple feel easier and more like what tanking HW/SB felt like. The expert dungeons, even in just AF gear, also feel pretty speedy and not too life threatening.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ohtsam posted:

This ties in well with it being called the echo because those who have have souls that are echos of those from the distant past

And from other worlds. It would even explain nicely how the Warrior can master every trade and combat style so quickly: their soul has been every trade and way of fighting, even if they're not consciously aware of it. You're not so much learning new classes as remembering them from past and alternate lives.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Glagha posted:

That's the one. Emet was insistent that EVERYONE was nigh immortal before, and that it was "taken" from us, like so many other things.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DeathSandwich posted:

In terms of what to do when downleveling - keep a extra hotbar with the old outdated spells that you turn on when you're level syncing?

You almost never have skills that become outdated or useless. Maybe fire 2 as a BLM but I don't know what current AoE rotations look like.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Another really cool thing about the split souls thing is that it lets them flip up the parallel worlds trope of "oh look, this world has a version of someone you know but everything is a little different". Instead of just being a similarity they're literally the same soul split apart. It's really cool.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm not even past the first ShB dungeon yet and I am really loving 5.0 so far. The zone themes are probably the best yet.

Giving extra incentives to do FATEs in new zones was smart, too.

OOOHHHH YEAAAAHHHH

This is great.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 9, 2019

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Just some musings on tanks and their defensive options. Every tank now has the same suite of defensive options with minor variations.

All tanks have a 30% reduction for 10s on a 2 minute cd. WAR also gets reflect damage on theirs.

All tanks have an invulnerability option with varying CDs and effects. Notably, if WAR targets something with Holmgang and it dies, WAR can now die too.

Tanks also have a short CD mitigator of roughly 25 second CD for themselves and/or a party member. Sheltron/Intervention, Raw Intuition/Nascent Flash, The Blackest Night, Heart of Stone.

Each tank gets self heals. Clemency, Equilibrium, Abyssal Drain, and Aurora. Save PLD, they're on a 60 second CD. DRK doesn't get much healing out of theirs unless in a AoE situation. They also all heal for a small amount with their GCD combos except PLD (presumably because they have Clemency).

Tanks also each get a raid wide mitigator at 90 second CD. Divine Veil, Shake it Off, Dark Missionary, and Heart of Light. The latter two only work on magic, but physical raidwides are uncommon.

Lastly, each tank gets a unique defensive option. PLD gets an extra raidwide in Passage of Arms. WAR gets an extra personal CD in Thrill of Battle basically becoming old Defiance with its trait. DRK gets an extra magic CD in Dark Mind. GNB gets an extra general CD that has slight benefits against physical in Camoflauge.

So in terms of overall defensive kits, all the tanks are extremely similar.

Oh yeah, PLD has Shield Bash and Cover too, but those are extremely situational. It's possible that stuns will be relevant again, but I don't see shield bash being the preferred method of doing it when low blow exists.

Hyper Inferno fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 9, 2019

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

yeah but warrior has Big Axe so it's pretty clearly the best one

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Groggy nard posted:

That's the one. Emet was insistent that EVERYONE was nigh immortal before, and that it was "taken" from us, like so many other things.

So where did new did come from prior to the sundering? Clearly Ascians could procreate as the shades in Amarout think we're children.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kerrzhe posted:

yeah but warrior dark knight has Big Axe Sword so it's pretty clearly the best one

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

You almost never have skills that become outdated or useless. Maybe fire 2 as a BLM but I don't know what current AoE rotations look like.

On my (granted) 50 BLM, I feel like Blizzard 3 has pretty much all but taken Blizzard 1's spot and Freeze has pretty much rendered Blizzard 2 completely moot.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
But Dark Knight has Darkness, which you must become the warrior of.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Leveling BLM through roulette you miss all the fun abilities and spells because of level sync.

Leveling BLM through Heaven On High you miss all the fun abilities because you don't get to push them in time because poo poo melts when 3 dancers throw their Xena: Warrior Princess Bangarangs at the same time and monsters instantly explode into a cloud of fine mist.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Cabbit posted:

Feels like Dancer has to be the most relaxing job in the game to play. Feather generation is pretty slow and steady and you can bank four of the things, the procs have a generous berth of time to use them in and don't interfere with the combo, dances have a huge goddamn radius so you don't need to be up the boss's rear end to use them.. it's all really, really good.

It's like this most of the time, except when you're going into your big Devilment/Tech Step burst window with four feathers and 80 esprit and then it's like JOHN DANCING MADDEN and there's fans and chakrams exploding everywhere as you try to cram as much as you can into like 15 seconds. :v:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Kerrzhe posted:

yeah but warrior dark knight Gunbreaker has Big Axe Sword With A Gun In It so it's pretty clearly the best one

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

DeathSandwich posted:

On my (granted) 50 BLM, I feel like Blizzard 3 has pretty much all but taken Blizzard 1's spot and Freeze has pretty much rendered Blizzard 2 completely moot.

I'm basically running Blizz III --> Thunder III --> Fire IV --> Fire III to exhaustion (Fire IV when free), rinse, repeat on my 52 BLM at the moment.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
Dark Knight was the Warrior of Darkness before it was cool.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Infidel Castro posted:

So where did new did come from prior to the sundering? Clearly Ascians could procreate as the shades in Amarout think we're children.

Fully 2/3rds of the Amaroutine(Or denizens of the entire source) were sacraficed to Zodiark in order to save their world. The original ascian plan was to let enough life grow back on the source in order to feed them to Zodiark in order to get the original Amarout back. The Asicans clearly thought they were lesser souls even though they were whole, perhaps unable to use the power of creation.

So at this point there were clearly "Amaroutine souls" and "Not-Amaroutine souls" tooling around on the unified world.

The Amaroutine rebels said that using nascient souls to accomplish the Ascian goal was not fair, at all. And summoned Hydaelyn to fight Zodiark, and she did, but since Zodiark was the soul of the star, splintering him splintered the star into the source and reflections. I'm guessing people with the Echo are former Amaroutines, maybe even the rebels. Whereas everyone else are the lesser souls.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i don't see it say Dark Knight of Darkness anywhere :colbert:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Fully 2/3rds of the Amaroutine(Or denizens of the entire source) were sacraficed to Zodiark in order to save their world. The original ascian plan was to let enough life grow back on the source in order to feed them to Zodiark in order to get the original Amarout back. The Asicans clearly thought they were lesser souls even though they were whole, perhaps unable to use the power of creation.

So at this point there were clearly "Amaroutine souls" and "Not-Amaroutine souls" tooling around on the unified world.

The Amaroutine rebels said that using nascient souls to accomplish the Ascian goal was not fair, at all. And summoned Hydaelyn to fight Zodiark, and she did, but since Zodiark was the soul of the star, splintering him splintered the star into the source and reflections. I'm guessing people with the Echo are former Amaroutines, maybe even the rebels. Whereas everyone else are the lesser souls.

This just made me wonder something, do they explain why the ruins of Amaroutine were on the first? Have we ever seen ruins that might be pre-sundering on the Source?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I get that, but what I mean is that Fire and Fire 3 serve the same purpose once you're in Astral Fire: to refresh the buff. It's just that there are two spells that do the same thing there, one that we use when we have a proc and one that we use when we don't. What I'm asking is what the purpose of having that extra spell is, from a "how this class feels to play/how it's designed" perspective, that's all. What would be the harm in just lowering Fire 3's MP cost and cast time so it can just fill Fire 1's role and not require two buttons that do basically the same job?

Like I understand how the class works right now, I just think it could work a slightly different way while also saving a couple hotbar buttons and having one fewer "busywork" spell.

I mean, maybe that extra button is just there to introduce an extra way to gently caress up your rotation? Things like accidentally casting Fire out of Umbral Ice and dropping Enochian, or hardcasting Fire III during Astral Fire and wasting time/MP, and having that extra thing to think about is important?

As a side note, does anyone have tips for hotbar setups that make it less awkward to scale down as BLM? Every other caster has more powerful spells that just replace weaker ones, but for BLM, I have a hard time setting up my bars so that it's comfortable to play both pre- and post-Enochian.

You're right - very little would be lost or changed if Fire and Fire III were fused into the same spell, one which basically had Fire's cast time and damage but always gave you full astral stacks and which had a 40% chance to deal extra damage, have no cast time, and have no mp cost on hit. That was one of the things I'd wondered if they'd do in ShB to cut down on hotbar bloat, though I'm not upset that they didn't.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

This just made me wonder something, do they explain why the ruins of Amaroutine were on the first? Have we ever seen ruins that might be pre-sundering on the Source?

Y'shtola explains it. The ruins on the Source were destroyed by the six calamities. Nothing's happened to the First except the flood.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

MechaX posted:

Man I don’t even know about that dude anymore (end of ShB MSQ spoilers)

He hijacks Zenos’s body to... I guess do similar stuff Zenos would do and try to fight the WoL, leaving the hard stuff like politics and creating a super magic nerve gas to Emet Selech and Varis. And I guess to troll Varis a lot too. He fucks up beating the WoL and goes back to Garlemald to do gently caress all, and then gets spooked by Zenos so hard he leaves the body and retreats to the loving moon? And now he’s like “all oh my allies are dead and Zenos is probably going to run the empire straight into the ground within a week, but I know what will do it; this time, send Warriors or Light after the WoL mwhahaa!”

As Emet sort of alludes to, I think the WoL getting pulled to the First legitimately thrw the Ascians the first real curveball they've had in ages. Elidibus has been winging it since, amd has no real clue what the right move is to get things back on track.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm not sure about that

I suspect only people with the Echo are Amaurotines, but with the Umbral Calamities and whatnot killing Literally Millions it seems unlikely there were enough Amaurotines for EVERYONE to be one. They were one civilization on one continent.

If there are new souls Emet-Selch would still consider them fragments by virtue of being likewise "diminished".

More soul chat:

It's literally the entire reason why Emet-Selch doesn't care about the lives he destroys. He doesn't see anyone as people, they're only diminished reflections of what used to be his people. Not everyone is one of the Ascians as in his inner circle, but I'm pretty sure everyone's soul is supposed to be fragmented across all the reflections. There's an optional dialogue I found that suggests it:

"Over the eons, I have overseen several changings of the guard among our sundered brethren. And in such instances, the vacant title ordinarily goes to another fragment of the selfsame soul. While it is by no means impossible to raise up wholly unrelated individuals, 'tis we whose fervent entreaties brought forth Lord Zodiark--whose souls He claimed in the beginning--who make the truest servants."

So there are definitely other people who are similarly fragmented, and he duplicates Alisaie to illustrate his point about what happened to everyone, so it seems odd if only a few people were actually fragmented like that.

Source of the dialogue btw: https://pastebin.com/ffXVNJsM

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Adept Nightingale posted:

As Emet sort of alludes to, I think the WoL getting pulled to the First legitimately thrw the Ascians the first real curveball they've had in ages. Elidibus has been winging it since, amd has no real clue what the right move is to get things back on track.
More Endgame Spoiler talk.
Agreed, Emet goes on about wanting to drag the secrets of the Tower out of the Exarch, and it seems clear from that, that time travel is beyond even a full Ascian, but the Allagans figured it out.

Also on the Souls topic, I'm also of the mind that everyone with the Echo is a shard of an Amaroutine soul. It just so happens that our soul has somehow scooped up it's buddies from the other shards over the course of the calamities either by living through them in the source, of being in the lifestream at the time. Emet even mentions us as having survived several rejoinings and he's clearly talking about our soul at that point. And now we're 'ahead of the game' so to speak, because we've grabbed an extra piece of ourselves (Ardbert) without having another calamity happen.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Y'shtola explains it. The ruins on the Source were destroyed by the six calamities. Nothing's happened to the First except the flood.

Ok, that makes sense. I didn't realize they had ruins on all of the reflections but that makes sense.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Hunter Noventa posted:

Agreed, Emet goes on about wanting to drag the secrets of the Tower out of the Exarch, and it seems clear from that, that time travel is beyond even a full Ascian, but the Allagans figured it out.

Also on the Souls topic, I'm also of the mind that everyone with the Echo is a shard of an Amaroutine soul. It just so happens that our soul has somehow scooped up it's buddies from the other shards over the course of the calamities either by living through them in the source, of being in the lifestream at the time. Emet even mentions us as having survived several rejoinings and he's clearly talking about our soul at that point. And now we're 'ahead of the game' so to speak, because we've grabbed an extra piece of ourselves (Ardbert) without having another calamity happen.

I think that's what Emet was testing for. If we were strong enough to resist the light corruption with 7 rejoined souls. If that were the case then they could probably remake zodiark without an 8th calamity. but turns out 8 is the number you need, and with Ardbert's help we got there.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I've not gotten to the end of 5.0 yet. Do they ever explain how Gaius is suppose to be killing Ascians? The Scions have killed what, 3? And each one was a massive undertaking. Is Gaius just killing their corporeal bodies and calling it good or does he know that he needs to trap their soul and aether shock them out of existence?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Fire 2's useless after level 68, since you can do a Freeze/Flare AoE rotation then.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Hunter Noventa posted:

Endgame
The Allagans didn't figure out time travel. They figured out how to open a gate to another shard, the 13th, or the Void. Garlond Ironworks, using that technology, as well as studying and reverse engineering what they could from Alexander figured out time travel. To move the entire structure through the realms, they used Omega's tech, as Omega could control matter in the interdimensional rift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

I've not gotten to the end of 5.0 yet. Do they ever explain how Gaius is suppose to be killing Ascians? The Scions have killed what, 3? And each one was a massive undertaking. Is Gaius just killing their corporeal bodies and calling it good or does he know that he needs to trap their soul and aether shock them out of existence?

Lesser ascians can't bodyhop, and there's a larger number of those than what we see. The villain of one of the Summoner class questlines is an Ascian and we kill him dead sans aethercite just fine.