Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

He's been in the same universe as the Justice League as long as he's existed.

Except for the time when he wasn't because there was a no Vertigo crossover mandate. And they ended that version of the character years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Si Spurrier on Hellblazer 👀

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Rhyno posted:

I'd wager we're getting a new version of one of the old versions.

https://www.newsarama.com/45587-inside-ryan-sook-s-legion-of-super-heroes-redesigns.html#s6

Looks like a redesign

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm not really a fan of Legion at all but yeesh that Matter Eater Lad design is really bad.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

X-O posted:

I'm not really a fan of Legion at all but yeesh that Matter Eater Lad design is really bad.

I know nothing of them either, but I like that Cosmic Boy and Lightning Lad both have the alt-right 'Heil and Tight" haircut, but Lightning Lad has a little redneck mullet going on too.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

enigmahfc posted:

I know nothing of them either, but I like that Cosmic Boy and Lightning Lad both have the alt-right 'Heil and Tight" haircut, but Lightning Lad has a little redneck mullet going on too.

I'm not thrilled with seeing that element in either of their designs.

I'm even less thrilled at seeing the creative team decide to not only go right back into the 70s with the " horribly yikes Native American Stereotypes" details with Dawnstar, I think they've rocketed right past it and gotten worse. "Spirit wings", really guys? Really?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
King's Batman has been....inconsistent. Number 50 left a bad taste in my mouth and I probably should have dropped the book after it but so far everything after has been going along well. Anyway, today's issue is definitely (for me) one of the issues that made me glad that I stuck with the book.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/agentfitz777/status/1149023007727325184

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's the interview article to go along with it.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/gene-luen-yang-talks-superman-smashes-klan-1223354

That new badge in the corner doesn't say 'DC kids' or anything, so I wonder if regular books are getting that too. I like how simple it is.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
https://twitter.com/JeffLemire/status/1149371687844098048

I don't really care about Joker stories, but I'll always give Lemire and Sorrentino a chance.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He's also doing a Question comic.

Here's an interview on both: https://io9.gizmodo.com/exclusive-dcs-black-label-will-explore-the-joker-and-t-1836255597

edit: There's also the previously announced Inferior Five/Peacemaker with Keith Giffen coming.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 11, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

That looks sooooooooooooooooo good.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Haven't been reading DC in a while, but I might take a peek at the new Legion stuff. One question though - has the current, amalgamated Superman ever been Superboy or joined the Legion himself?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I don't think that's been established since Superman Reborn, so it's probably just up to BMB.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 11, 2019

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Jeff Lemire doesn't sleep. He just turns out 10 titles per day.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

I don't think that's been established since Superman Reborn, so it's probably just up to BMB.
While true, if he's the amalgamated versions of the Post-Crisis and the New 52 versions, he wouldn't have been. But then who knows.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Endless Mike posted:

While true, if he's the amalgamated versions of the Post-Crisis and the New 52 versions, he wouldn't have been. But then who knows.

The immediately pre-flashpoint Superman would have been; the Johns origin restored the Legion history. But I'm not entirely sure this was a Superman who lived through that era, one who remembered New Krypton even during the time between Converrnce and Reborn. So it's probably up to Bendis and Dr. Manhattan, yeah.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There might be an interesting story that acknowledges that the Legion's time would always be theoretical based on what's happening or adjusting in the present, and that poses a danger to their existence.

Here's the logo:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I am super sold on that Question. I've not actually read a Question series before, but I've always liked his style.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

catlord posted:

I am super sold on that Question. I've not actually read a Question series before, but I've always liked his style.

Read the O'Neil run right now. Stop reading this post and go read the O'Neil run. Why you still reading this post and not the O'Neil Question run?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Here's an interview on both: https://io9.gizmodo.com/exclusive-dcs-black-label-will-explore-the-joker-and-t-1836255597

edit: There's also the previously announced Inferior Five/Peacemaker with Keith Giffen coming.

i was just about to complain about black label stuff leaning too heavily on batman characters but i couldn't ask for anything better than this

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

Perfect.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Ah yes, the Market is desperately craving yet another Joker story. Just find a way to Superior Batman him so we can get on with it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://www.newsarama.com/45987-joker-aims-to-get-his-swagger-back-with-help-from-john-carpenter.html?utm_source=notification

Article's gone for some reason but it was about John Carpenter writing a Joker one shot

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

The market demands this one

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Mr Hootington posted:

The market demands this one

Monkey's Paw however, co-written by Anthony Burch: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/07/12/john-carpenter-to-write-the-joker-year-of-the-villain-special/

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Burch: "What if we wrote Joker like Handsome Jack?"
Carpenter: "I don't know who that is. Or who you are. Do you have my menthols?"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. Old man Carpenter was never gonna write that alone. He's just there for the name.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Apparently they wrote the Big Trouble in Little China comic together

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Roth posted:

Apparently they wrote the Big Trouble in Little China comic together

I have heard this is good. We have hope

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Snackmar posted:

Haven't been reading DC in a while, but I might take a peek at the new Legion stuff. One question though - has the current, amalgamated Superman ever been Superboy or joined the Legion himself?

Pre-Flashpoint Superman had been a member of the Legion as a kid and New 52 Superman in Morrison's Action Comics run hung out with the Legion when he was young and continued that friendship into adulthood so if both versions knew and hung out with the Legion I can't see why the amalgam wouldn't.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
In the most recent Doomsday Clock I think they made it so that when Dr. Manhattan hosed the timeline he took Superboy out of the Legion.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

TwoPair posted:

In the most recent Doomsday Clock I think they made it so that when Dr. Manhattan hosed the timeline he took Superboy out of the Legion.

I just reread that issue.
When they get to the recapping of New 52 Clark's origin (after doing the Golden Age, Silver Age, Post Crisis, Secret Origins etc) Dr Manhattan narrates "Without his parents or the Legion, Clark grows more distant from humanity". But he's explicitly talking about New 52 Superman and going over scenes from Morrison Action Comics which to me just says Johns didn't read that run in much detail as the Legion play a big part during the run.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Still, he wasn't a kid when he met them in Morry's Action, right? The series was set 5 years earlier than the other books, but I can't remember if it flashes back any further.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Pretty sure they still previously met in Morrison’s run. Saturn Girl talks about being ashamed of how she was disappointed when she first met him. How this legend the Legion was based off of was just some gawky kid, but to him it was the greatest day of his life, knowing he wasn’t alone.

Those last couple pages were really nice if someone can find them. Clark joining the Legion as a teenager is one of the purest things, and should be an essential piece of Superman lore.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jul 13, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I actually just read Morrison's Action Comics and he definitely was visited by them while he still lived on the farm in Smallville.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

This might be a dumb question, but I've never really looked into the Legion before.

How long did Clark originally spend with the Legion? And how did he end up traveling to the future to meet them?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They initially came to him, so he would just travel back and forth with them. They were like his secret friends from out of town where he could be himself, away from the small town where he felt alienated.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Post Crisis, it was revealed that Superboy was from a pocket universe, created by the Time Trapper. So all the pre crisis adventures still happened, just not to the newly minted Superman. That Superboy died saving both universes.
This was later retconned back and forth a few times but the death of Superboy is still an incredible issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
So yes, Superboy always commuted to. the future for LSH adventures. Later Supergirl was stranded in the the legion's time for a single extended time, and I think the cartoon version had Superboy there long-term, but those are the exceptions; hopefully Jon will be able to travel back and forth as the original concept.