Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seik
Apr 15, 2006

Yes, I am indeed purple.
Pillbug

pik_d posted:

I think it would be better if it felt more equal. There's a few digs at Freddie being for being a bit dumb, but most of the stuff seems to be aimed at Chris getting embarrassed, like wearing that sweater in a desert, or being shocked while drinking milk. The "let's empty it" was definitely verging on mean spirited. In the old Top Gear one of the drivers would have pulled up right behind the other so they couldn't open the hatch instead of what happened there.

Agreed, hopefully we see the other two but especially Paddy getting a bit more targeted in the next episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Seik posted:

Agreed, hopefully we see the other two but especially Paddy getting a bit more targeted in the next episodes.

Yeah, Paddy seems to have gotten the Clarkson role of "things go right for this one usually" without having "earned" it, if that makes sense.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

pik_d posted:

Yeah, Paddy seems to have gotten the Clarkson role of "things go right for this one usually" without having "earned" it, if that makes sense.

"The things go right for this one usually" got a bit old when it was always rules-lawyering or technicalities. Towards the end of the old new so-called Top Gear Clarkson got too many "hosed up but did not in fact gently caress up"-writeouts. It was usually funnier to see him fail his grand scheme.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Freddie soaking up all the electricity was pretty loving funny.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Still, as Mr. Loaf would say, 2 outta 3 ain't bad. The rest of the challenge was pretty fun, especially when Harris & Freddie turned up with the hearse all tricked out. Surprised no one mentioned the seating arrangement being reminiscent of the McLaren F1 :v:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Chris Knight posted:

Still, as Mr. Loaf would say, 2 outta 3 ain't bad. The rest of the challenge was pretty fun, especially when Harris & Freddie turned up with the hearse all tricked out. Surprised no one mentioned the seating arrangement being reminiscent of the McLaren F1 :v:

That's 1 driver centrally, 2 passengers behind him. I think what you really should have been reminded of was the Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Chris Harris busting on Rolls-Royce is so good.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Chris Harris busting on Rolls-Royce is so good.

That was a great episode. Loved the ending.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Freddie asking Bob Mortimer if he can make cricket exciting was perfect.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Did the Americans in here like the new shows?
I’m wondering how well the bants translates.
Really enjoyed this series so far myself but just curious!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Trying to understand Paddy is the funniest part of the show for me. You can tell Harris is struggling not to laugh whenever he's talking. I think this season and group is great.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yup been enjoying this season. This week's was great, and that ending was :discourse:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mods please change thread title to Top Grand Gurr Turr TV Megathread now that it's all northerners

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Trying to understand Paddy is the funniest part of the show for me. You can tell Harris is struggling not to laugh whenever he's talking. I think this season and group is great.

It's an incredible accent to hear.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The way he pronounced "rare" was killing me.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Bape Culture posted:

Did the Americans in here like the new shows?
I’m wondering how well the bants translates.
Really enjoyed this series so far myself but just curious!

If I can understand Stevie G and other north west footballers, these guys aren't so bad. The Bantz seemed a bit one sided in previous weeks, but they solved that by not inviting Chris at all, and letting him do actual car reviews.

This episode was really good though, and even though I have no idea who Bob Mortimer is, I enjoyed his part of the show as well.

opengl128 posted:

The way he pronounced "rare" was killing me.

rurr

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah that was another fun one.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

finally realized I should be be watching the new series.

Just got past the electrocution race and yeah, this is the poo poo.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
The Lotus 79 segment was some of my favourite TV this year.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Ah that was great. JPS Lotuses are so pretty :allears:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I have to admit, I'm not hating the show so far. I still skip the guest and supercar segments most of the time but the rest is good.

My question is, when designing the Bagheera, why did they put the gearstick 15 miles in front of the driver? It looks...uncomfortable, even by 70s supercar standards.

Seik
Apr 15, 2006

Yes, I am indeed purple.
Pillbug
This last episode was cool as poo poo, take my hat off to Chris and Freddie for doing that. The only TG crew so far that could have I think.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
These three are fantastic together. Chris Harris screaming, "It's a BMW!" while Paddy is laughing his rear end off is excellent. Also, Chris and Freddie doing that race was amazing.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
poo poo, sounds like I should stop ignoring top gear.

Is it on BBC here in the US?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah I quite enjoyed last night's episode.

The icelandic offroad stuff was fun and interesting, the supra review was one half nostalgia bomb and one half infotainment with the BMW comparison, the guest actually had some car chat to offer, and the Lotus 79 segment was another masterful tribute piece.

I'm down for more from this trio, I like their dynamic alright.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Residency Evil posted:

poo poo, sounds like I should stop ignoring top gear.

Is it on BBC here in the US?

Sunday nights at 8pm EST on BBCA.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
the 2 new guys are shitheads, whoever the gently caress they are.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Keyser_Soze posted:

the 2 new guys are shitheads, whoever the gently caress they are.

They sort of are, but it's been working for the most part. It is by far the best series with a new set of hosts that Top Gear has ever had.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I liked Joey and Rory more as people but this series just felt so much smoother. The roles each person plays in the team are a bit shifted compared to the boys, but the overall group dynamic seems similar.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

pik_d posted:

They sort of are, but it's been working for the most part. It is by far the best series with a new set of hosts that Top Gear has ever had.

I get that "it is working" but treating Harris like a toddler the entire time is gonna get tiresome. It just makes the show 100% comedy road trips and underwear "look at my dick, bro" pranks and I don't see the two other guys ever doing anything else. Maybe that's the point at this stage of "comedy car shows?"

I'm also an old goon that liked watching James take apart model trains or brew beer. :chord:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 16, 2019

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Keyser_Soze posted:

I get that "it is working" but treating Harris like a toddler the entire time is gonna get tiresome. It just makes the show 100% comedy road trips and underwear "look at my dick, bro" pranks and I don't see the two other guys ever doing anything else. Maybe that's the point at this stage of "comedy car shows?"

I'm also an old goon that liked watching James take apart model trains or brew beer. :chord:

Yeah I agree, but I also think it's gotten better in the last few episodes. It was really bad in the first three seasons.It's still there, but honestly they're making fun of Freddie for being a big dumb sports man. Paddy doesn't get as much stick to be honest, but it's definitely not just Chris.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

That’s just England everyone is a oval office

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Freddie and Chris were a great team for the Iceland part.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

If you're into podcasts, Chrs Harris' show is a fun listen. Mostly him and other motoring journalists talking about old times and hot car takes so its fun.
https://collectingcars.com/podcasts/

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I can't stand that paddy oval office. Chris is cool and at least Fred has a reason to be a bit of an ego on legs. The iceland stuff was pretty good. The worst part of the show is still, blatently, the celeb garbage.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

And they're not keeping the celeb bullshit limited to 10 minutes anymore so you can't easily skip it.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
It's obviously better than the Chris Evans incarnation but I question the selection of Fred and Paddy simply because they are not car people. It just seems weird given that in the past they would select car people specifically and it really seems they just went for 'popular person' on this one save for Chris Harris.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Yeah, they are guests not hosts.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm watching on BBC-A and the hearse episode just aired.

I'm going to have trouble getting through this season. I didn't watch the Chris Evans season, but I watched all the other ones. While those were stilted at times, it still seemed a bit coherent.

This is turning into a practical joke show with these idiots and some of the stuff has been borderline mean spirited. When Clarkson, May, and Hammond collapse in laughter, I'm usually in tears with them because whatever happened was usually genuine and unexpected. These guys just start yelling at each other like a bunch of frat bros without any real humor in the circumstances. The whole gas station scene with the pump bingo was just painful to watch with them acting up like morons after every release of the pump.

I'll keep through the rest of the season to see if it eventually gels, but if it's just more of this I'm probably going to tune out next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I felt pretty much the same way at that point in the season, but the last two episodes seemed much better to me.