Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Can someone explain how to change up the music when making a level? I don't mean what I'm listening to WHILE editing, but changing the music in the level itself. I was in the sound effects tab, and found a mushroom that I could put on Mario, but it seems as if that just offers one alternate theme. I'm watching this GameXplain video, and he's got two radial menus, and I have no idea where those came from.

Go to 7:06 for the music part:

The bar at the top of the maker screen is just a hotbar with the last so many items you've used, if you hit the search on the top right it goes into the menu with everything, and the music is in the last two radial menus on the right.

Then put those music icons on Mario for it to play for the whole stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Lets Pickle posted:

It was challenging , but not in a good way:
-Offscreen Thwomps suck unless used VERY sparingly

Offscreen Thwomps are good really only when used a scare for when the player is safely out of the way, or if there's breakable blocks above you to give you time to get moving when the Thwomp appears. Like, using a Thwomp when in the car from off screen can work as a scare because you'll easily clear it before it gets you but you'll be like HOLY poo poo when this massive thing falls out of the sky barely missing you. Most people though just put a troll Thwomp just out of sight that you have no way of avoiding

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Hey DalaranJ, could you update the levels I replaced in this post?

Oh, heck. You’ll have to wait until I get home from work. I’ll get it.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Macaluso posted:

Offscreen Thwomps are good really only when used a scare for when the player is safely out of the way, or if there's breakable blocks above you to give you time to get moving when the Thwomp appears. Like, using a Thwomp when in the car from off screen can work as a scare because you'll easily clear it before it gets you but you'll be like HOLY poo poo when this massive thing falls out of the sky barely missing you. Most people though just put a troll Thwomp just out of sight that you have no way of avoiding

The most brutal thing I've seen is Thwomps in the Super Mario 3D World set slamming down on the Mega ? Blocks to extend all of the blocks that come out of it in a split second. It's both terrifying and wonderful.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Good Sphere posted:

The most brutal thing I've seen is Thwomps in the Super Mario 3D World set slamming down on the Mega ? Blocks to extend all of the blocks that come out of it in a split second. It's both terrifying and wonderful.

Hey I did something like that in my first level!

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Good Sphere posted:

Even more interesting is that those blocks can push the thwomp to new positions. I made a brief demo level where I moved a thwomp a screen from his starting position using a few of them.

My idea was to make a breakable section in the floor that the player needed to push the thwomp over to escape, but I'm terrible at planning puzzles so making it interesting was hard for me.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Wendell posted:

I took this screenshot of an endless normal for you.

If it makes you feel better, most of my levels are in Endless Normal?

Internet Kraken posted:

Jungle Jinks: Simple concept and theme. Great execution. Nice aesthetic. Not really possible to even nitpick this; it does exactly what it wants to do and does it well.

Thanks! This is my most popular level and I think it's because I spent the most time on it.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 9, 2019

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

The Lobster posted:

If it makes you feel better, most of my levels are in Endless Normal?

How do you know where they're ranking? Just guessing based on clear percentage?

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

CascadeBeta posted:

How do you know where they're ranking? Just guessing based on clear percentage?

Yeah; but also apparently you can download them and it tells you.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

The Lobster posted:

Yeah; but also apparently you can download them and it tells you.

I'll have to try that then.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I'm really proud of this one. Let me know how you think the difficulty feels.

Like a Bat out of Hell
BMG-6DT-8PG

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Ignite Memories posted:

Like a Bat out of Hell
BMG-6DT-8PG

It was too hard for me, but then I've never actually played around with the castle night theme before. Interesting idea. I think if the lava rose a bit more slowly I might be able to get further than I got. (You can check your death map, it wasn't very far in.)

I don't know if Nintendo will allow a course with "Hell" in the name to stay up for very long?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

Apparently 5000 on a single course gets you a kuribo shoe outfit

Spellman posted:

Don't say that

:c00lbert:

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Ignite Memories posted:

Like a Bat out of Hell
BMG-6DT-8PG

I found it quite easy and finished in one go! What a world of contrasts. It’s also funny because I died a few times on your Wario Lumber Camp stage, Lobster.

I wonder what words Nintendo doesn’t like in titles. I made a stage loosely based on a Kid Chameleon one (6P8-8MT-XLF) that was called Towers of Blood in Kid Chamelon itself. I used a thesaurus to change blood to Cruor, just in case!

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Wendell posted:

I wonder what words Nintendo doesn’t like in titles. I made a stage loosely based on a Kid Chameleon one (6P8-8MT-XLF) that was called Towers of Blood in Kid Chamelon itself. I used a thesaurus to change blood to Cruor, just in case!

Nintendo would be okay with it if you called it Towers of Green Blood.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

NofrikinfuN posted:

Even more interesting is that those blocks can push the thwomp to new positions. I made a brief demo level where I moved a thwomp a screen from his starting position using a few of them.

My idea was to make a breakable section in the floor that the player needed to push the thwomp over to escape, but I'm terrible at planning puzzles so making it interesting was hard for me.
Also, combine it with the hammer power to break the thwomps.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Lets Pickle posted:

It was challenging , but not in a good way:
-Offscreen Thwomps suck unless used VERY sparingly
-The level of challenge was very inconsistent. There would be some slightly challenging wall jumps into easy koopa jumps. Then the part after the checkpoint is frustratingly precise, Kaizo-level ground pound cancels, followed by hitting a few On/Off switches, which is just filler. The last section with the piranha plant spin jumps would have been fine except for the RNG Bowser fireballs making it so sometimes you just die. It did look terrible though, giant fields of spikes are just gross. This leads into my next point.
-The level looked like rear end. You should be using filler ground, slopes, semisolids, and blocks in order to give the level more shape and visual substance. Not doing that screams lazy level design and lets the player know what kind of gameplay to expect from such a designer.
- vanilla Bowser Jr. fights are not interesting at all, even in an enclosed space.
-blind jumps suck and your level is full of them. They say "I don't know how to make platforming challenging so I'm just going to get a few easy deaths this way." Give the player a coin trail or an arrow or something.

Sorry if this came off harsh but I'm still salty about those ground pound cancelled wall jumps. The rest of the level was mostly reasonable.

Thanks for the feedback, I will definitely make sure to think about this stuff when I make my next level. It definitely could do with some more visual stuff to guide along. Thats for sure, and it could also definitely be prettier. I made the level as a challenge for a friend and I wanted to get it finished and uploaded before I travelled to his place so I could definitely stand to make it look a bit more cohesive.

So the bit right after the checkpoint doesnt need to be ground pound cancelled, you can just spin to slow down and reverse direction to hit the wall. Its tough but its easier than ground pounding.

I definitely agree with the on/off being filler. It was not a section I was happy with and Bowser's fireballs are definitely more RNG than I would like, I changed it from a previous version so that you can bounce over them but it was a choice between the section being pretty trivial, or a tough final section to the level.

In regards to the thwomps, the off screen ones are off screen to give enough time to get past them while punishing stopping in place. When you are doing the level fast, they hardly factor into it. I could definitely leave more visual cues though to show that they are a threat.

Thanks for writing all that out for me, My next level will definitely be made with it all in mind.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Wendell posted:

I found it quite easy and finished in one go! What a world of contrasts. Its also funny because I died a few times on your Wario Lumber Camp stage, Lobster.

Hahaha fair!

Edit:

Mario Maker... is a good game:

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 9, 2019

National Parks
Apr 6, 2016
I've been working on a new level for a couple of days:

A Stroll Through the Clouds
0XT-NQV-RVG

It's a nightime cloud course. It's a traditional level, with lots of goombas and a big cloud castle. I really like the low gravity jumps, but haven't run in to many other levels using it.

National Parks fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 9, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The medal system is bullshit. It should be based on raw totals, not rank against someone else

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

The medal system is bullshit. It should be based on raw totals, not rank against someone else

:agreed:

I'll never get any medals. :smith:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I had a maker points medal on day one but it was gone by day three and my points just keep going down. Trying to delete my stupid levels to counteract this but I will never delete Mario Ragnarok, my stupidest level

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

How are they unable to understand how these things should work?

gropemotron
Feb 20, 2011

Another dimension, new galaxy
I made a 30 second run level, because of all the ones I played I wasn't ever to beat one without banging my head on the wall forever. So I wanted one for a lower skill level player like me.

XQM-QBN-8PG. Mario Ain't Got Time For This

Can't tell if its actually much easier or if its just because I playtested it a lot during creation though.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

National Parks posted:

I've been working on a new level for a couple of days:

A Stroll Through the Clouds
0XT-NQV-RVG

It's a nightime cloud course. It's a traditional level, with lots of goombas and a big cloud castle. I really like the low gravity jumps, but haven't run in to many other levels using it.

Very cute course, feels like a real Mario level. I'm not used to the low gravity gimmick so I kept dying; I quit so I didn't tank your clear rate and downloaded it to play on my own. I like it a lot though, I'm sorry my poor Mario skills are barring me from continuing on with it.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

It's like they completely forgot Twitch and Youtube streamers exist.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Played some random acts:

Frozen Fortress
Cool little fortress stage! Although I have to say that a cloud on top of two donuts does not look very much at all like a snowman

Don't P In The Pool
I did P in the clown car though, sorry

SMB3 Revival: Sandworks
Enjoyed this! Had to play it through a couple times just to try out different routes. I'll maybe try speedrunning this later.

Now where could my pipe be?
I'm happy to report the pipe was found

Flashback: Quest for Identity
Great atmosphere, I will definitely be coming back to this one, too.

National Parks
Apr 6, 2016

The Lobster posted:

Very cute course, feels like a real Mario level. I'm not used to the low gravity gimmick so I kept dying; I quit so I didn't tank your clear rate and downloaded it to play on my own. I like it a lot though, I'm sorry my poor Mario skills are barring me from continuing on with it.

Thanks for checking it out! My thinking on enemy placement was that since you jump so high and slow, that they should be used to make the player think about jump height to retain control. I tried to make sure their wasn't anything unfair, but its definitely on the challenging side.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Forktoss posted:

Frozen Fortress
Cool little fortress stage! Although I have to say that a cloud on top of two donuts does not look very much at all like a snowman

Lol I mean, it was either the donut or the music block. I tried my best.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I honestly think this is my best level. I am really, really happy with how it turned out as it's difficult, but usually fair. (You might get a pattern that's just a pain in the rear end to work with, but there's enough power ups to recover.) Please give this a shot if you have the time. I've tuned it to be at the level of a final boss so it's not going to be easy but man I'm just happy right now.

Meowser's Big Battle

I used up all the space I could and even made it (mostly) multiplayer friendly. There's diverging paths, alternate routes! More! Wow!
Only thing is that I couldn't figure out how to make the player stay and fight Meowser when you get to that phase. He's not terribly hard with how I handled him but oh well.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

A strange lava planet was discovered and Mario and Friends are here to check it out. Going deeper into the ruins reveals a scary secret!!

UFO? That's Mario!
4BK - TLP - H5G

I'm reposting both of these levels as I first put them up at terrible times of the day and hoping to get a little more attention on them (even if it's to tell me that the UFO stage sucks or something :shobon: )

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

This sounds sweet.

If you don't move as soon as you leave the pipe, this block will push you off and you're stuck in the water below until you die.

I hope they get divorced.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

This is good. The sideways parachuting thwomp had me giggling for some reason

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I'm kind of amazed how many likes Wario's Logging Company is getting. It's staying pretty solid at a 1:2 like:play ratio so far. Basically everybody who beats it likes it. I don't know if that's because it's mostly goons who have beaten it so far or what but I'm also getting all sort of positive comments too, faster than I have even on my so far most popular course. I uploaded it last night and I already have five comments. I'm feeling pretty good.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Dobbs' Descent
L9T-YFL-RRF

Collect 100 gold coins and battle your way to the end. SMW

This is my second attempt and I'm much happier with it overall. The inability to add checkpoints to objective based courses is insane, though, and probably will tank my clear rate on such a dangerous level. I would have added more neutral space with fewer enemies, but course length ends up being a really delicate balancing act when the punishment for failure is getting booted all the way back to the beginning. Hopefully there are enough power ups to prevent that from happening too often.

I wish I would have spent more time on it in hind sight but I get the feeling that is just always going to be true of anything I make. Sooner or later you gotta press the button.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Can 'carry a box to the finish line' be a 3D world condition?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don’t really understand the point of uploading a level unless you’re planning on sharing it outside of the game’s listings themselves. Discovery fuckin sucks for new, non-Top40 stuff.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I made a level that's probably stupid but hey I'm open to feedback

8XK-3MX-RHG

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So I had been designing my jam level around coin collection. The theme of "Taking care of business" [every day!] pairs really well with that concept and I fully expect that we'll see quite a few jam levels using that concept. Then last night at 5pm I got a call I had been dreading for months. Only instead of "We jerked you around for two months and put someone internal into this position," it was "We created a new position in our company on our design team specifically for you because you are so goddamned awesome." As of this morning, I've changed careers and I was looking at my collecting money level and I said, "I need to do something special for this." And since I am now an engineer, so is Mario.

Engineer Emergency (or, Don't Murder the Koopient Express)
Q7Y-01X-G1H

Before we were submitting jam levels to both spreadsheets. With Random Acts of Mario now pulling from the main listing and the jam listings, is there any reason to anymore?

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 9, 2019

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing

kazil posted:

I made a level that's probably stupid but hey I'm open to feedback

8XK-3MX-RHG

The idea is pretty fun, but I think the blind jumps around the spike pillar should be telegraphed somehow.

I made a new level which combines the most beloved elements of Mario games: water and autoscrolling. I think it manages to be pretty fun despite itself.

Storm Warning - XL7-T4W-N8G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Control Volume posted:

The person in the most cleared courses leaderboard has cleared 7835 courses, or 650 courses a day

Jesus Christ. Fine, they deserve the top medal for that.