Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

kuddles posted:

Looking back on other video game sinkholes, a telling sign of the end will be when Squadron 42 is released, because it will likely indicate that the whale money has dried up so they release something that can be sold to those outside of the community in a last attempt to stay liquid a little while longer.

Mark my words - 6-8 months after Squadron 42 comes out, Kotaku articles about SC employees not getting their paycheques show up.

Not even. Whole team is laid off IF (the moment) S42 launches. Croberts and Sandy will of course have the prescience to gently caress off with the remainder of money once that terminus has been reached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

kuddles posted:

Yeah, but that's the clincher, and it's what led to the negative response, because the story of Broken Age was basically:
- Please give us $400,000 to make this game.
- Thanks for $3,000,000 but it was only enough to make the first half of the game.

This is a pattern that has repeated itself many times with crowdfunding projects - just a horrible sense that a lot of indie developers are awful at limiting the scope of a game or any sense of project management at all, and actually made you empathise with publishers who rather than being pure evil monsters destroying creativity might be smart enough to tell when something is a sinkhole that will never get it's money back so they need to release it in an unfinished state.

Star Citizen is the hilarious masterpiece of this phenomenon, where the amount of feature creep is infinite.

This is totally different. Star Citizen's scope was impossible to begin with. at any funding level. Broken Age drastically increased scope to match their new budget, realizing there would be an expectation of a much more professional game than what was originally proposed. They were completely open about the development process, and it's hilarious people still use it as an example of "they just took all that money!" when IIRC they published their budgets and expenses during development. Then they delivered on the game and all the promised rewards! Some people didn't like the final product, but that's why you should never preorder a game lol.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Pretty funny how for decades publishers were the devil. Everything that went wrong was always blamed on them micromanaging, or meddling in development, or mandating early releases, or whatever. Then consumer's starting funding games directly, developers have a free hand, and poo poo still gets all hosed up anyway.

All it took to go "actually, maybe publishers are good" was for it be the player's money on the line instead. Makes u think...

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-QYqet8Sok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtWH5LRHiqI

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

soy posted:

it's no joke, IRL hobbies actually make you healthy, aren't bound by stupid shithead devs, are all fully multiplayer at massive scale

if you are a poo poo head dev you can have an irl hobby that improves your brain and makes you healthier, and even gives you money

:lsd:

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Squadron 42 will likely be like Haze in terms of quality. I'd be surprised if it wasn't as bad as colonial marines.

I cannot imagine it being anything more than the most dull and uninspired shooter possible. It also has a loving garbage name.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Chomp8645 posted:

Pretty funny how for decades publishers were the devil. Everything that went wrong was always blamed on them micromanaging, or meddling in development, or mandating early releases, or whatever. Then consumer's starting funding games directly, developers have a free hand, and poo poo still gets all hosed up anyway.

All it took to go "actually, maybe publishers are good" was for it be the player's money on the line instead. Makes u think...

It's a more complex issue than this. Many publishers do gently caress things up for the dev team. Having a publisher doesn't always cause development to become good anyway. Dome devs are good at manageing themselves, and some gently caress up no matter what. A bad project leader will ruin everything no matter where the money comes from.

If there's ever someone to blame it's going to be the one calling the shots on the project. So there's no reason to chalk it up to whether there was a publisher or not.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 9, 2019

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I hope I never reach the point of blaming different people or departments for a game being bad. Who loving cares? It's either good or it's bad, that's the only truly relevant detail to consider.

In closing, this whole thing could've been avoided if everyone was more like me

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Play posted:

I hope I never reach the point of blaming different people or departments for a game being bad. Who loving cares? It's either good or it's bad, that's the only truly relevant detail to consider.

In closing, this whole thing could've been avoided if everyone was more like me

:hmmyes:

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The White Dragon posted:

if you are a poo poo head dev you can have an irl hobby that improves your brain and makes you healthier, and even gives you money

:lsd:

lol gaming industry doesn’t pay

unless you simply embezzle kickstarter funds

but who would ever be such a chad??

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

soy posted:

lol gaming industry doesn’t pay

i never said anything about being a jobber :v:

it's not a lot but i definitely make back more than my monetary investment by a few times over. time... well, i consider any time i spend on dev to be time i spend enjoying myself, it's not like i'm investing it into something i despise which somehow seems to be what most people consider to be time spent working on a personal project?

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

holy poo poo

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Rad-daddio posted:

My gaming computer is a work expense, so I write it off every year and get a new one. Downside is it has to be a laptop bc I need to work in multiple locations sometimes. Cue all the goons laughing at me for having a gaming laptop :shrek:

Do you get a new one every year? If so, maybe you could switch to renewing the laptop every two years and get a desktop every two years on an alternating basis? It's not like performance goes up that much from year to year anyway.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Slanderer posted:

This is totally different. Star Citizen's scope was impossible to begin with. at any funding level. Broken Age drastically increased scope to match their new budget, realizing there would be an expectation of a much more professional game than what was originally proposed. They were completely open about the development process, and it's hilarious people still use it as an example of "they just took all that money!" when IIRC they published their budgets and expenses during development. Then they delivered on the game and all the promised rewards! Some people didn't like the final product, but that's why you should never preorder a game lol.
You're debating against a point I didn't make - and that nobody made. I've never seen anyone claim Double Fine just "took all the money". They also admitted that if they didn't get enough additional sales from the first half of the game, they couldn't afford to make the second half, which came off as rushed and even had to re-use a lot of assets. It's weird that people are writing revisionist history to defend a game that was undeniably a complete gently caress-up that showed why crowdfunding is a huge risk.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Thursday Next posted:

holy poo poo

Its painfully funny. Did he animate the face himself or is that some kind of facial mapping in realtime?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Klyith posted:

IDK what you're remembering here but it wasn't them.

lol okay right, except get this - it totally was them, they have two whole volumes of their comics published for sale that came out in 2013 when they were supposed to be actively working on broken age

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

kuddles posted:

You're debating against a point I didn't make - and that nobody made. I've never seen anyone claim Double Fine just "took all the money". They also admitted that if they didn't get enough additional sales from the first half of the game, they couldn't afford to make the second half, which came off as rushed and even had to re-use a lot of assets. It's weird that people are writing revisionist history to defend a game that was undeniably a complete gently caress-up that showed why crowdfunding is a huge risk.

I deny it was a huge fuckup.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

food court bailiff posted:

lol okay right, except get this - it totally was them, they have two whole volumes of their comics published for sale that came out in 2013 when they were supposed to be actively working on broken age

Ok, looking into this they published these books of their weird webcomics while they were doing broken age, but the comics themselves mostly pre-date that. They didn't get a million dollars to make a game and then gently caress off to draw comics for months instead. The artists were doing comics while they were working on Psychonauts & Brutal Legend too. Somehow the publishers of those games didn't have a screaming fit about it.

Also, most webcomic artists have a job that's not drawing comics. It's not hard to make a comic or two a week in your spare time.

kuddles posted:

It's weird that people are writing revisionist history to defend a game that was undeniably a complete gently caress-up that showed why crowdfunding is a huge risk.

It wasn't a huge fuckup by the standards of video games. It did show that crowdfunding was a huge risk. Double Fine came close to going bankrupt while making the game. If that had happened the game wouldn't have been finished.

But yo, crowdfunding was always a risk and the people who imagined it was some pre-order transaction were the delusional ones. Even if the thing isn't a fraud or Star Citizen, it can still go wrong in an honest way where everyone loses. It's a speculative venture for everyone. :capitalism:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Klyith posted:

Also, most webcomic artists have a job that's not drawing comics. It's not hard to make a comic or two a week in your spare time.

making one or two comics a week in your spare time is very possible, publishing two collections of them that you can wander into a barnes&noble and buy is a very different endeavor, particularly for a team that prides itself on being small and efficient and is not actually in the book-publishing market

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

kuddles posted:

Didn't Double Fine also get in trouble with Activision/Vivendi because they got a bunch of money from Vivendi for Brutal Legend and then proceeded to miss all their milestones and deadlines? It seems like a systemic problem in their company.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What’s Double Fine and what did they do?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

What’s Double Fine and what did they do?

they make comics and bad games

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bofast posted:

Didn't Double Fine also get in trouble with Activision/Vivendi because they got a bunch of money from Vivendi for Brutal Legend and then proceeded to miss all their milestones and deadlines? It seems like a systemic problem in their company.

That was activision's side of the story, but they had an ax to grind. They sued DF & EA to get money back and then

quote:

Late last week, the judge hearing the case delayed the delivery of his verdict, but notified Activision's legal team he was leaning in Double Fine's favour.
so activision settled.

I'm sure Brutal Legend had a troubled dev process, it was a bad game that could have been good. That's what happens. I didn't put money into Psychonauts 2 because I didn't believe they'd be able to make a bigger game happen. I though they might be playing the last card in their deck to avoid going under. But they're owned by Microsoft now so the money is not a problem.

They don't deserve to be in the same thread as loving star citizen.

food court bailiff posted:

making one or two comics a week in your spare time is very possible, publishing two collections of them that you can wander into a barnes&noble and buy is a very different endeavor, particularly for a team that prides itself on being small and efficient and is not actually in the book-publishing market

Publishing a book is in fact extremely easy these days. I could print on demand your post history for $25, if I needed a bunch of extra toilet paper.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Klyith posted:

Publishing a book is in fact extremely easy these days. I could print on demand your post history for $25, if I needed a bunch of extra toilet paper.

Why would you need used toilet paper?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Klyith posted:

That was activision's side of the story, but they had an ax to grind. They sued DF & EA to get money back and then

so activision settled.

I'm sure Brutal Legend had a troubled dev process, it was a bad game that could have been good. That's what happens. I didn't put money into Psychonauts 2 because I didn't believe they'd be able to make a bigger game happen. I though they might be playing the last card in their deck to avoid going under. But they're owned by Microsoft now so the money is not a problem.

distributing a book is much different and more difficult than making GBS threads out your erotic double fine fan fiction on amazon hth

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Klyith posted:

I could print on demand your post history for $25, if I needed a bunch of extra toilet paper.

:smith:

Harveygod posted:

Why would you need used toilet paper?

:unsmith:

That Dang Lizard
Jul 13, 2016

what; an idiomt
Doublefine were also responsible for the Spacebase DF-9 shitshow where they straight up bailed on developing the game very early in the process, and releasing some halfassed mod tools so the idiots who got it through early access (such as myself) can finish making their game for them.

gently caress Doublefine.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

so activision settled.

Yeah, I know Activision didn't get the money back that they wanted.
I'm just saying that with that event, plus the Broken Age mess, plus them seemingly abandoning Spacebase DF-9, it looks like they were unable to manage themselves properly. Hopefully Microsoft can keep them in line now.
Obviously Star Citizen is worse by a factor of 100 or so, but Double Fine has seemingly just been limping along for a while.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

That Dang Lizard posted:

Doublefine were also responsible for the Spacebase DF-9 shitshow where they straight up bailed on developing the game very early in the process, and releasing some halfassed mod tools so the idiots who got it through early access (such as myself) can finish making their game for them.

Yea, DF9 had some promise and then they went all "Were going to take this game's sales and use it to fund this other game, gently caress you"

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Aww man, Brütal Legends was such a weird experience to play, because every part was so lovingly crafted except the actual game.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I was kind of enjoying it until it turned into the worst rts ever made. I never finished it.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

That Dang Lizard posted:

I would say that Spacebase is one of the most scummy things a company has done, taking money from people then openly abandoning it with some half-hearted "you guys can fix it yourselves if you want" comment. Then using that money to work on another game.

And yes, I say this while being aware that I'm posting in the Star Citizen thread.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I would say that Spacebase is one of the most scummy things a company has done, taking money from people then openly abandoning it with some half-hearted "you guys can fix it yourselves if you want" comment. Then using that money to work on another game.

And yes, I say this while being aware that I'm posting in the Star Citizen thread.

if there is one miniscule backhanded compliment i will pay croberts it's that there's a good chance he isn't actually embezzling or laundering any of this money. more than likely he's seriously just an idiot who squandered a nine-figure development budget in earnest because he's an ideas guy with no clue how to actually direct, manage, or complete a project

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Doesn't he have a whole bunch of other companies he created? I don't know how that stuff works but aren't some shell companies?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Doesn't he have a whole bunch of other companies he created? I don't know how that stuff works but aren't some shell companies?

Since the kickstarter they formed 16 different companies. Some are identical with small changes in spelling.

When people contacted the district attorney because of denied refunds their lawyer gave the "wrong company" defense because the complaint didn't list the correct shell corporation. I believe they did the same thing in the Crytek lawsuit, claiming that Crytek was suing the wrong company so the lawsuit was invalid.

It's kind of funny how obvious it is.

A third of a billion dollars everyone.

"Oh you are suing Cloud Imperium Games? We are Cloud Imperium Games Limited. Checkmate."
"Your complaint is against Roberts Space Industries? We are Cloud Imperium Games?"
"You are contacting Roberts Space Industries Corp? We are Roberts Space Industries."

Rectal Death Adept fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 11, 2019

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Rad-daddio posted:

Whoa, no poo poo.

@ Ben: hope you're well and not trying to get people to buy jpegs from the space game cult. Your wife seems nice and you both seem genuinely happy.

@Joe Rogan: your character on News Radio was the best, and it inspired me to (briefly) pursue a career in radio. Fear Factor was fun bc you made douchebags eat gross stuff and do stupid tricks for money and that's always great. Was it true you had a T1 connection just to play Unreal Tournament?

ben is a racist, misogynistic dude who stalked / harassed a lady for years. he is not the good guy in this situation.

there ARE no good people involved with star citizen.

but i don't want him to die of Fat, i do hope he's gotten healthier.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

The White Dragon posted:

if there is one miniscule backhanded compliment i will pay croberts it's that there's a good chance he isn't actually embezzling or laundering any of this money. more than likely he's seriously just an idiot who squandered a nine-figure development budget in earnest because he's an ideas guy with no clue how to actually direct, manage, or complete a project

I'm convinced that Crobberts himself isn't actively stealing from his customers. Maybe other people involved in the game are, who knows, but I think he's just an idiot who genuinely believes in what he's trying to make even if he has no talent. A bumbling fool rather than an actual scheming villain. Yes thats still dangerous, but not deliberately so.

Doublefine made an active and deliberate choice to not deliver on a product they were selling. But since 'gamers', as a demographic have zero integrity, they will continue to shovel money into Tim Schafer's wallet.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

could be. i'm kind of assuming that he's about as good at funneling funds as he is at making games though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
Star citizen on PS4 when??