Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do have to wonder when sitcoms started featuring dysfunctional abusive families on purpose.

Since the beginning of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hi my name is Commander Lee Adama and welcome to Jackass!

*Proceeds to blow up Battlestar Pegasus to save the critically damaged Galactica because he left over seventy Viper Mk 7s behind to cover a tiny fleet and jumped into a combat zone to shoot one ship and ram another.*

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Danaru posted:

awwWWW poo poo that can't be good

The first one made me think they're about to shoot DBZ energy beams.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

apart from randomly disappearing planetside for months on end, although miles seems pretty ok with it

after all he loves keiko. he just likes julian a little more

He's just disappointed that marriage to his Japanese waifu didn't live up to his weeaboo expectations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The first one made me think they're about to shoot DBZ energy beams.

Nah, they are just doing a variant of the "Rimmer Salute"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Johnny Aztec posted:

Nah, they are just doing a variant of the "Rimmer Salute"

I always make sure to do this before I eat rear end

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
god drat b5 popped off. i love how accurate it is when showing the nazis and all the little eichmanns running around. well accurate in the historical fiction sense and the pulling-no-punches sense.

You really have to forget about star trek to enjoy the show as it was pretty hard to go from ds9 rewatch #4 to this. both great, just extremely different. the content for b5 is very very dense and that's probably it's strongest aspect. I'm onto season 5 now and im going to watch it slowly to relish it, i could watch 10 more seasons if they existed

edit the hologram ep at the end of s4 is so loving cool. i love how the show travels into hard scifi so easily

thehandtruck fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 8, 2019

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I always make sure to do this before I eat rear end

:vince:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
lmao, I just got that

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

thehandtruck posted:

god drat b5 popped off. i love how accurate it is when showing the nazis and all the little eichmanns running around. well accurate in the historical fiction sense and the pulling-no-punches sense.

You really have to forget about star trek to enjoy the show as it was pretty hard to go from ds9 rewatch #4 to this. both great, just extremely different. the content for b5 is very very dense and that's probably it's strongest aspect. I'm onto season 5 now and im going to watch it slowly to relish it, i could watch 10 more seasons if they existed

edit the hologram ep at the end of s4 is so loving cool. i love how the show travels into hard scifi so easily

You may as well burn through to the end of the telepath arc, season 5 only REALLY kicks off once that snooze-fest is put to bed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I stopped watching B5 a few episodes deep into S5. A mix of it not grabbing me but also not wanting the show to end :(

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The best is yet to come.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Baronjutter posted:

I stopped watching B5 a few episodes deep into S5. A mix of it not grabbing me but also not wanting the show to end :(

Keeping watching. B5 stalls hard early season 5 with the Telepath arc, but it really gets good again once it's done.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Keeping watching. B5 stalls hard early season 5 with the Telepath arc, but it really gets good again once it's done.

Yeah, it's a byproduct of not knowing if they'd get a season 5, so the Earth civil war was squished to the end of Season 4, and the telepath arc took it's place.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Bouncing between TOS and Voyager and got to the episode where B'elana browbeat the Doctor into experiencing not only losing your child but also being the surgeon who failed to save their own daughter's life :hmbol: You loving suck B'elana

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Danaru posted:

Bouncing between TOS and Voyager and got to the episode where B'elana browbeat the Doctor into experiencing not only losing your child but also being the surgeon who failed to save their own daughter's life :hmbol: You loving suck B'elana

She's the absolute worst.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Danaru posted:

Bouncing between TOS and Voyager

Why would you do this to yourself?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I was watching H&I last night and the TOS episode was Assignment Earth, was that a backdoor pilot for a spinoff?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Bogus Adventure posted:

She's the absolute worst.

remember that episode where she is seriously depressed but the crew doesn't seem to notice or particularly care? Like, great you finally decided to do a show about that and you pick the single most unsympathetic character in the series to focus it on

loving Voyager

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Iron Crowned posted:

I was watching H&I last night and the TOS episode was Assignment Earth, was that a backdoor pilot for a spinoff?

Sure was. That's why there's so few scenes with Gary Seven and Kirk or :spock: together.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CaptainSkinny posted:

Sure was. That's why there's so few scenes with Gary Seven and Kirk or :spock: together.

I love how blatant back-door pilots are. Sure we have this show that you're entirely used to, but here's an entire episode about someone you've never met before, and will never see again!

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Am I the only one who really liked that episode and wishes the spinoff had happened?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

I love how blatant back-door pilots are. Sure we have this show that you're entirely used to, but here's an entire episode about someone you've never met before, and will never see again!
I remember there were a few episodes of House in one of the latter seasons where they were trying to spinoff this private investigator character and it just wasn't working

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Am I the only one who really liked that episode and wishes the spinoff had happened?

I mean, I liked Teri Garr but god no

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Assignment Earth doesn't even try to be subtle about being a backdoor pilot.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Doctor Who exists

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, it's a byproduct of not knowing if they'd get a season 5, so the Earth civil war was squished to the end of Season 4, and the telepath arc took it's place.

Did we cover how Straczynski loosely* modeled B5 after the Lord of the Rings, so the Earth civil war was basically the Scouring of the Shire (that Peter Jackson infamously left out of Return of the King)?
JMS's work is more satisfying than Peej's, is what I'm saying here.

* I mean, subtle references like "Z'ha'dum" could be easily missed

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Iron Crowned posted:

See also The Outrageous Okona.

Were there ever any of those backdoor pilot cases that actually took off? And I don't mean ones where the spinoff was already in development and the episode is more an ad than a pilot.

Weirdly enough there's more cases of spinoffs being successfully launched from characters and ideas that were never originally intended as one. Codename: Kids Next Door comes to mind.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jul 10, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Were there ever any of those backdoor pilot cases that actually took off? And I don't mean ones where the spinoff was already in development and the episode is more an ad than a pilot.

Weirdly enough there's more cases of spinoffs being successfully launched from characters and ideas that were never originally intended as one. Codename: Kids Next Door comes to mind.

I think Mork and Mindy was an example of this.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I would argue that Frasier was more successful than Cheers

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That was not a back door pilot, he was a main character for years

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I think Mork and Mindy was an example of this.

It may be the only case of one being successful.

The Lone Gunmen was one I wanted to like, but yeah, it sucked.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i hope pike becomes an unintentional backdoor pilot and that it gets handed off to someone who is capable of not writing grimdark poo poo

i hope also that they pass all of the budget from the section 31 spin off to the pike show, and then drop s31 like a hot rock (so garak can lie on it)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Iron Crowned posted:

It may be the only case of one being successful.

The Lone Gunmen was one I wanted to like, but yeah, it sucked.

Lone Gunman was successful in that it actually got picked up for a season though, lots of backdoor pilots do not. Like the Dwight pilot they aired as an office episode.

Trying to think of any others that actually got picked up.

Masked Rider?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

All three of CSI's spinoffs (Miami, New York and Cyber) started with backdoor pilots.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Okona wasn't a pilot was it

naem
May 29, 2011

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Lone Gunman was successful in that it actually got picked up for a season though, lots of backdoor pilots do not. Like the Dwight pilot they aired as an office episode.

Trying to think of any others that actually got picked up.

Masked Rider?

a Dwight pilot??

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I’m a little mad that people keep saying the word backdoor without also making an anal joke. What the gently caress guys you’re losing your touch.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

The Mork episode of Happy Days wasn't a pilot, it was supposed to be a one-off to capitalize on the craze for space stuff following Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

cowboy picard is gonna go john wick on the romulans when they blow up his dog