Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Insert here the tna mutant in a singlet gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I'll raise you guys in their 50s and 60s walking around at Stardom shows with binders full of signed photos of the teenage roster members.

Please tell me they're carrying them because their excited grandchildren can't handle the weight for too long? :gonk:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Please tell me they're carrying them because their excited grandchildren can't handle the weight for too long? :gonk:

No but I did see this scenario play out at Ice Ribbon if that makes you feel better.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Lid posted:

Insert here the tna mutant in a singlet gif

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

No but I did see this scenario play out at Ice Ribbon if that makes you feel better.

It actually does :unsmith:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

god still the best

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I'll raise you guys in their 50s and 60s walking around at Stardom shows with binders full of signed photos of the teenage roster members.

They sound pretty happy.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

There was a binder dude at wrestle queendom but he was significantly younger and honestly might have been a production dude for all I know since when I got through the meet and greet it was still pretty empty. I've bought a few 8x10s before but its basically a "oh poo poo I've spent a while talking to a wrestler and need to buy SOMETHING and they don't have/have terrible shirts so that'll do" and they're sitting in a drawer somewhere: probably ought to do something with them to protect them a little. Also none of mine are, well, of children but of like Emi Sakura and cool people.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1148381719260569600

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Nobody ever asks ESPN to not post today's baseball score or the soccer world cup winners or the first pick from the NBA or NFL draft. It's a unique brand of idiots Dave gets

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
who waits for Dave's rating before they watch a match? Just watch the show jfc

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Don't you see, if I am not watching wrestling that is at least 4 stars or higher, what am I even doing with my time.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

stop saying we should delete the motyc thread please. if you don't like it then move along!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The guy commenting was being a dick, but it would be kind of cool to know which are the best matches on any event without knowing the results. Sometimes I only have 30-40 minutes to give to watching something.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

And there are places to go for that kind of recommendation/info that aren't news sites designed to report news that results, by definition, are part of. For users of this forum, the New Japan/G1/match recommendations threads have each been consistently very good about not spoiling users who enter asking for general help with what to watch

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Within ten minutes of an issue going up you can go to r/SquaredCircle, go to the new posts section, and find multiple threads where people post just the star ratings.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

Nobody ever asks ESPN to not post today's baseball score or the soccer world cup winners or the first pick from the NBA or NFL draft. It's a unique brand of idiots Dave gets

To be fair, those are sports. This is closer to asking for a movie review to not be filled with spoilers.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

wrestling is a sport and is given sports coverage by weekly sports editorial The Wrestling Observer.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

wtf if you’re that into a match, you’re gonna wait a week or more to watch it? Silly.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

wrestling fans want nothing more than to exclude. just keep on... tellin' everybody. that they don't belong, except for inside of a looney bin. Corn dog behavior

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

People absolutely do this with the Olympics.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The BBC news (used to?) put up the Premier League match scores up and warn people to look away if they don't want to know the scores. There's a highlights show every evening that some people try to watch unspoiled but that isn't as common since shows like Soccer Saturday started with live score updates.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Price Check posted:

People absolutely do this with the Olympics.
The US does this, largely because I don't think the US airs much of the Olympics live so the tape delayed broadcast is the only source.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

The BBC news (used to?) put up the Premier League match scores up and warn people to look away if they don't want to know the scores. There's a highlights show every evening that some people try to watch unspoiled but that isn't as common since shows like Soccer Saturday started with live score updates.
I think the early evening news on Saturday still does this since people still want to wait for Match of the Day.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

karmicknight posted:

Don't you see, if I am not watching wrestling that is at least 4 stars or higher, what am I even doing with my time.

watching RAW

njsykora posted:

I think the early evening news on Saturday still does this since people still want to wait for Match of the Day.

Yeah it's exactly for this reason. The news before Match of the Day will tell you "YO SPOILER TAGS" so it doesn't ruin the show you're about to watch.

This worked great in the 70's but in this day and age you have to go dark to avoid scores. What they don't tell you is they give you the finger when your eyes are closed.

Puckish Rogue fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jul 9, 2019

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

At least once I remember them doing the "look away now" bit and the newscaster just accidentally read the scores out of habit or something.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Vince MechMahon posted:

To be fair, those are sports. This is closer to asking for a movie review to not be filled with spoilers.

It's kind of difficult to do a review of a twenty minute pro wrestling match without talking about major spots and the finish, unless the depth of your analysis is "good match ****1/4"

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

TTBF posted:

Within ten minutes of an issue going up you can go to r/SquaredCircle, go to the new posts section, and find multiple threads where people post just the star ratings.

I don't go to reddit so I didn't know that!

At this point though I just guess at what will be good matches rather than looking anything up.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It’s the loving G1, there’ll be maybe 2 shows that aren’t worth watching, if even that

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

and NJPW is pretty solid that if you hate a match, ff 15 minutes and its a new match. Unless its a main event then you can turn it off.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Hellblazer187 posted:

The guy commenting was being a dick, but it would be kind of cool to know which are the best matches on any event without knowing the results. Sometimes I only have 30-40 minutes to give to watching something.

It costs money, but the Voices of Wrestling G1 reviews on Patreon are formatted perfectly for this. Joe Lanza starts every episode with a spoiler-free rundown on what to watch and what to skip, including the undercard tags. Then he gives a spoiler warning and goes into a heavily detailed match by match show review.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I think that rear end in a top hat who asked Dave to please consider his bad idea, should probably gently caress off and stop watching wrestling if he wants that stupid poo poo. It's so drat stupid what he said.

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

the cagematch card with guide page is good, spoiler-free with community ratings + meltzer stars. idk how soon after an observer they update it, but its useful when catching up with tournaments
https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=231885&page=3

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Low Desert Punk posted:

It's kind of difficult to do a review of a twenty minute pro wrestling match without talking about major spots and the finish, unless the depth of your analysis is "good match ****1/4"

You could absolutely do this, though. Very easily. Just a "if you just want the score here it is, full review after the page break." Lots of places do this for other things, from movies to video games. It's not that much of an ask for narrative fiction. You can even do a full paragraph without spoilers and specifics. "The storytelling was good, but the selling wasn't quite what it should have been. Here's how the crowd reacted. There's a big moment halfway through. Strong finish. Full review after page break, 3 stars." I honestly don't think it's that unreasonable.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's loving pro wrestling, not Game of Thrones. A weekly newsletter publishing results from shows that are days, if not weeks, old does not need "spoiler warnings."

If you're so afraid of spoilers you can always, like, just watch the matches before reading.

quote:

"The storytelling was good, but the selling wasn't quite what it should have been. Here's how the crowd reacted. There's a big moment halfway through. Strong finish. Full review after page break, 3 stars."

This is garbage writing and the absolute worst way to review things

Benne fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 10, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
At this point people who complain about spoilers are becoming worse than people who deliberately spoil things

Its a magazine for wrestling review and archiving and anyone who buys it knows exactly what they are getting and they have no right to complain about spoilers

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I don’t think it’s really possible to do spoiler free reviews that go deeper than “this is a match you should go out your way to see” or “this match stinks”; when you start telling people the story of the match then that by itself is a spoiler.

My view on this is slightly impacted by me being a Joshi fan and to go spoiler free on that would require basically never checking twitter so I’ve learned to enjoy matches after being spoiled.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
A great match can fool you even if you do know. Two examples from the last year I recall are Tanahashi/Okada from Dontaku 2018, where I got fully sucked in right up until the finish, and it wasn't even the spoilers that made me realise it was the end, it was just the work. And Tanahashi/Ospreay vs Golden Lovers from the Road to WK show, where I've watched it like 3 times, and I still think Ospreay's gonna win during it.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

IceAgeComing posted:

I don’t think it’s really possible to do spoiler free reviews that go deeper than “this is a match you should go out your way to see” or “this match stinks”; when you start telling people the story of the match then that by itself is a spoiler.

My view on this is slightly impacted by me being a Joshi fan and to go spoiler free on that would require basically never checking twitter so I’ve learned to enjoy matches after being spoiled.

That's honestly all I want out of a match review. Go watch or skip.

Wrestling is the only thing where I give a poo poo about spoilers. Most things I actively seek out the spoiler before I watch it. Wrestling I don't do that. I also don't care that much - most of the BOSJ I watched after being told what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

spoiler: every night of the g1 climax is going to have amazing matches and you should watch them all.