Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

This is good advice, thanks both of you.
I'll give the 'Play Now!' button a try, sounds a fun way to learn the ropes.
I played a bit of the tutorial and yes, the sheer amount of new systems and options is a little overwhelming at first when you you haven't grasped what effect your choices are going to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Smol posted:

So what do I lose out on if I get Gathering Storm but not the previous expansion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPTAgnJ6fFM

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Helith posted:

This is good advice, thanks both of you.
I'll give the 'Play Now!' button a try, sounds a fun way to learn the ropes.
I played a bit of the tutorial and yes, the sheer amount of new systems and options is a little overwhelming at first when you you haven't grasped what effect your choices are going to have.

The core of the game is still the same - focus on production, science, or culture (and now religion!) and let that be your victory type.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

I like this. What are people's favorite tracks?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Atomic Indonesia and Industrial Zulu are amazing

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Yes

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Atomic Scottish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdhBd0xlFGY.

Also a fan of the Ottoman ambient version of Ceddin Deden: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3QlNxnv4zE

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Atomic Mongolia

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Atomic Japan

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Russia's atomic theme by far the most amazing track to grace this game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEQvHCEHKH0

Besides the ones mentioned above, other favorites of mine are Sumeria Industrial for the haunting strings segments, the entire Georgia line because I'm a sucker for Orthodox chanting, England Medieval because I've always loved Scarborough Fair (England also adds an ambient version of Greensleeves, good on them), and Norway Industrial for taking a lullaby and making it Grieg as gently caress (yes I know the lullaby was also written by Grieg).

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 10, 2019

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
My present understanding of the Russia theme is that it's an old folk song about a dude eating berries in his garden and falling asleep, so why the atomic version sounds like somebody resurrected Dracula is beyond me.

That aside, it is quite good.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That is exactly why it is amazing. The lyrics to the big dramatic swell are literally “little berry, little berry, little berry, little berry, of mine.”

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 10, 2019

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
This is a game I mute and listen to podcasts to, I've never heard the music. I'll have to change that.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

jojoinnit posted:

This is a game I mute and listen to podcasts to, I've never heard the music. I'll have to change that.

Kinda the issue with that plan is that you're almost never going to hear the amazing soundtrack in its fullness due to how the game selects the tracks to play.

Don't get me wrong, it's a neat-sounding gimmick, it's just not a practical one. Give me Civ5's system back.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

England Medieval because I've always loved Scarborough Fair (England also adds an ambient version of Greensleeves, good on them)

The addition of Greensleeves, aka "What Tune Is This?", is excellent.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GaktwHjp4dg

Industrial Brazil theme should be the soundtrack for a Pixar trailer or the opening to a Jack Lemmon movie from 1965.

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 10, 2019

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Quick question about districts.
I've realized that you're not going to get every district in one city, but should I be aiming to have at least one of every type of district across all my cities? I'm aiming towards a science victory so how many campuses should I get up and running?
Also how many cities should I aim for? I'm trying out Australia atm and have just entered the medieval period with 4 cities. There's maybe one spot left for a city but after that there'll be no room. I've got a caravel off exploring, hopefully there'll be some nice islands to colonise!

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I always put an industrial zone in my cities, but otherwise you can base it off of whichever victory condition or strategic need you have. You always need science and culture to some degree, so look for cities with the best bonuses for theaters or campuses.

Edit- also, as many cities as you can get is the best choice. There's no global happiness, housing is local to cities and entertainment/water park district can generate additional amenities so keep expanding. I aim for 4 spaces between cities, but adjust +/- 1 space based on terrain/ resources.

Glass of Milk fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 11, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I like when they play Scarborough Fair.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Helith posted:

I've realized that you're not going to get every district in one city, but should I be aiming to have at least one of every type of district across all my cities? I'm aiming towards a science victory so how many campuses should I get up and running?
Also how many cities should I aim for? I'm trying out Australia atm and have just entered the medieval period with 4 cities. There's maybe one spot left for a city but after that there'll be no room. I've got a caravel off exploring, hopefully there'll be some nice islands to colonise!

Generally I find that it's good to vary things up a bit instead of having the same district progression for every city, most districts are pretty handy and . But you will usually want a trade district (either commercial hub or harbor) and probably a campus as 2 of the first 3 districts for most cities. Maybe substitute holy site/theatre square for campus if you are going for religious or cultural victory. But I find myself missing most districts pretty hard if I don't at least get a couple out (Entertainment Districts not so much, though.)

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Helith posted:

If you go for a science victory you should build a campus in every city. You do not need theaters or holy sites at all. You do not need industrial zones in all cities but you probably want one in the city where you will build the spaceport to build the space parts quicker but generally the industrial zone is a net production negative I've heard some people say. Commercial districts and always good to have, I build them in every city, also harbors if possible.

When going for a science victory I usually go for 4-5 cities and where I build the spaceport I have an industrial zone, encampment and airport but not in the other cities. You do not need to generalize, just pick one win condition and go for it, hard.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Industrial Zones got buffed. Also their big benifit is the shared production. Unless your civ pushes for it you'll just have one but you want that one in the heart of your empire.

Districts cost more the more of the same type you have. When in doubt, every strategy depends on techs so try to have strong campuses.

Actually religion doesn't at all does it? That victory type is awful though and very hard if you're not just conquering the other civs working that angle

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I know you want to place districts down to get adjacency bonuses but in my triple digit hours of play time I feel like I rarely if ever get a theater district down with any adjacency bonuses at all. And I prefer culture victories so they're almost always going down asap in every city. But like I'd I see a +1 I'm like, score.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TjyvTompa posted:

You do not need theaters or holy sites at all.

I like policy card bonuses too much to skip theaters altogether.

Fhqwhgads posted:

I know you want to place districts down to get adjacency bonuses but in my triple digit hours of play time I feel like I rarely if ever get a theater district down with any adjacency bonuses at all. And I prefer culture victories so they're almost always going down asap in every city. But like I'd I see a +1 I'm like, score.

This is why I usually earmark as many spots around my government plaza as possible for theater squares. You can often get up to +3 with adjacency alone, and two theater districts next to each other give you a great place for a wonder.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

With great works you don't really need adjacency

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Tree Bucket posted:

I'm considering getting the two big expansions and getting back into Civ6. However, my favourite style of play is the opposite of what you've described- I love having a weird empire of far-flung colonies set up on the best possible bit of land on each continent. Would it still be possible to play that way with a bit of investment, or would the new mechanics render it impossible?

It's definitely possible, it's just sub optimal. If you're having trouble doing what you're describing, then lower the difficulty settings until you can play how you like.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I'm able to do that on Emperor, I just need to look at the settler lens to help pick good spots without major loyalty penalties

Or just conquer those nearby cities that are causing the loyalty problems :hist101:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I tend not to fret too much about adjacency bonuses, since the yields provided by the district buildings tend to outstrip them pretty fast, and if you need that district built, the lack of a good adjacency spot isn't what stops you. I also think it's pretty straightforward to figure out where to build them, but I'm only playing on King, so I might be missing something.

Campus: There's not really any reason to not build these. Science is good. Put one down whenever you've got a district to spare, if not sooner.

Theatre Square: Have at least enough to hold your great works. No such thing as too many of these, either, but I tend to prioritize them lower than campuses. Archeologists are also the only way to get rid of Antiquity Sites, which may otherwise get in the way of building districts or improvements, so you'll want an Archeological Museum or two for that reason alone.

Holy Site: Depends mostly on your religion. One temple is enough to produce all the religious units you'll need, but build more if you've got something to spend faith on, like the Grand Master's Chapel. Feed the World (bonus food from shrines and temples) is also really good for getting cities off the ground in low-food areas.

Commercial Hub: Good for the sole reason of unlocking a trade route, but I don't really like this district. The building yields are weak compared to other districts, and it opens up the Siphon Funds spy mission in the city. Note that income from trade routes is also stolen by that mission, so if you've got a lot of trade in one specific city, build it in a cluster with other districts that merit a counterspy, or maybe just eat the loss of a trade route.

Harbor: Build them in any city with sea resources. If you've got a decent amount of workable sea tiles, they'll give more gold than the CHub, in addition to food, housing, production and bonuses to naval units. It's one district where founding cities based on adjacency is worth thinking about, because they won't compete for space with anything else you can build, and once you get Seaports they add a handy bit of construction. The policy card that doubles harbor adjacency bonuses is one of my staples.

Encampments: Build as many as your military infrastructure requires. Keep one in whatever your most productive city is, if you need good military units produced at a decent rate, and plop 'em down in your border cities in a good defensive spot if they can afford the district slot. I also like to put them in front of mountain tunnels/qhapaq nan when the terrain allows, because if you've got a tunnel network that cuts across your territory in a jiffy, the AI will exploit it if allowed.

Entertainment Complex/Water Park: If you're short on amenities, build them where their regional bonuses have the most effect. I don't think it particularly matters which cities you target, since luxury resources will be redistributed to top up the rest. If you have a big city bordering another empire, or if you've got nearby cities with loyalty issues, it may also be worth building for the Bread and Circuses project, since it's a pretty big chunk of loyalty pressure. The second tier buildings also give a bit of science based on terrain, in case you've got a lot of rainforest/reefs.

Industrial Zone: You'll want enough coverage to keep your cities productive and powered, but also not more than you need since they take a lot of time to pay back their initial production investment. This is also a district to plan your adjacency bonuses out, because you get +2 production from every adjacent canal, dam or aqueduct, and you can stack it pretty high. Also notice that the plants give different yields:
-Coal: Doubles the adjacency bonus for the city, but gives no additional bonus to other cities in range. Worth keeping one in your highest-production city.
-Oil: +3 production to all cities in range. This should be your default.
-Nuclear: +4 production and +3 science to all cities in range. This is a net loss for the city in question since you need to devote production to the maintenance project, but it's a pretty solid buff to the other cities in range.

Neighborhoods: Another district I don't really like, since they enable the "recruit partisans" mission. They're obviously worthwhile to build if you need the housing, and if you've got an apostle with the Heathen Conversion promotion, it's a source of free units. They were buffed in the latest patch so their buildings now require power, with Food Markets giving 10 food if powered, and Shopping Malls giving 8 gold and 2 amenities if powered.

Aerodrome: Build one if you need to build air units, and if you want to connect cities with Airlifts once you unlock Rapid Deployment. I've never gotten too into air combat, but I have pulled off some fun surprise attacks by settling a city off the shore of the AI and funnelling all my troops through there.

Spaceport: You really just need the one, in whatever city has the most production, preferably guarded by a spy 24/7. Multiple ones will let you shave a few turns off a science victory, but it's a lot of production up front for little gain.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Spaceport: You really just need the one, in whatever city has the most production, preferably guarded by a spy 24/7. Multiple ones will let you shave a few turns off a science victory, but it's a lot of production up front for little gain.

I build them in my very highest production cities, because they don't take so long, and "shaving a few turns off science" becomes "shaving even more turns off science" if your spy lets somebody through on your only one.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Tree Bucket posted:

I'm considering getting the two big expansions and getting back into Civ6. However, my favourite style of play is the opposite of what you've described- I love having a weird empire of far-flung colonies set up on the best possible bit of land on each continent. Would it still be possible to play that way with a bit of investment, or would the new mechanics render it impossible?

Play Maori or Norway on Archipelago. You won't be playing continents but you will absolutely have a far flung empire.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Shooting Blanks posted:

Play Maori or Norway on Archipelago. You won't be playing continents but you will absolutely have a far flung empire.

Or Indonesia, who even needs land when you can get everything you need from the ocean.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
Maori is so strong in the classical era, in my current game I ended up with only 3 cities before getting sandwiched between Spain and Georgia, so I pumped out a bunch of Toa and steamrolled spain; allied Georgia for the trade routes. Now to wipe out Scythia.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Inca Atomic theme is jamming

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I tend not to fret too much about adjacency bonuses, since the yields provided by the district buildings tend to outstrip them pretty fast, and if you need that district built, the lack of a good adjacency spot isn't what stops you. I also think it's pretty straightforward to figure out where to build them, but I'm only playing on King, so I might be missing something.
Don't sleep on adjacency bonuses, especially if you have something going that provides great bonuses, like Desert Folklore or Machu Picchu. They get crazy overcharged with the "double adjacency bonus" and "+50% for cities over 10 pop" cards. In a recent game, deploying those two cards for science increased my overall science output by like 40%.

I don't do the crazy thing where I plan all of my districts in advance, but I will definitely wait until more tiles open up to build something with a better adjacency bonus.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm getting this extremely frustrating bug. Started a new game, and two other civs on my continent declare war in the classical era. No big deal, they're far away, and I can protect myself. After a couple turns, one of them becomes suzerain of a city-state on my borders. I want to take this CS anyway, so I begin an invasion. Then, three turns later, all my units get booted out of the CS's borders. I get a message that Hojo Tokimune-- me-- has made peace with them, and I'm locked into peace for ten turns. I wait for the ten turns to expire, and then declare war on the CS, and invade again. A few turns afterwards, it happens again-- this city-state unilaterally declares it won't be a part of the war I declared on it, and quits.

Is there some mod that fixes this? I was planning on doing a conquest game, and I can't really do that if the game can turn wars off whenever it wants.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I think I know what it is. Another civ sends them an envoy and becomes the suzerain so you end up with a peace treaty enforced. Not 100% but I've had similar things happen that are rather frustrating.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

John F Bennett posted:

I don't really agree with having to plan the placement for thousands of years. Just place them where it seems fun at the time, otherwise this GAME becomes a boring JOB.

Also, why the heck would my wheel-discovering civilization know about the existence of space ports thousands of years later?

Agreed, how would an omnipotent deity telling scouts and groups of people to band together and establish cities even know what game mechanics are in place in the simulation he is running?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
He heard Sean Bean talk about reaching the stars in the opening narration, obviously.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Hurray, just won my first game as Korea with a space victory on prince! Only had 5 cities in the end, no wars but a constant religious war with Arabia trying to convert my cities. That triggered 2 emergencies which I won both times, but still he wouldn't stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Helith posted:

Hurray, just won my first game as Korea with a space victory on prince! Only had 5 cities in the end, no wars but a constant religious war with Arabia trying to convert my cities. That triggered 2 emergencies which I won both times, but still he wouldn't stop.

This combined with the "Do not convert my cities"-warning and CB being bugged is the reason why AI's which go for the religious victory need a swift kick in the groin ASAP. Doubly so if you did not get own religion and do not get the early warning that AI is gunning towards your cities.

On larger maps there usually are 2-3 religious AI's which keep each other busy but on tiny and small there usually is one which ends up dominating and needs to be dealt with. Because the religious victory does not require the founder to own the holy city, it usually also means that the player has to completely eradicate that AI, also meaning that diplo-victory and all "no major wars"-approaches go out of the window if if happens after the middle ages, leading to some people playing with that victory condition turned permanently off.