Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

That thread is hilarious but it's from back in May and I'm sort of dubious. The bug originally affected Bulldozer era stuff but not Zen/Zen+, so it'd be extremely weird if Zen2 re-introduced the RDRAND wonk from like two architectures ago out of the blue.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I was thinking of just getting a 570 with the 3700x in a few weeks just to avoid flashing but given the extra power drain on the CPUs on some models and the dumb fan I might just get a 470

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Actuarial Fables posted:

Rumors state either end of the year or early next year.

Stickman posted:

Probably, but there's nothing official yet except that it's coming. B450 was a bit over three months after X470, so that's probably a minimum window.

E: It's also not confirmed to have PCIe 4.0 support, which might actually be a plus. It's not confirmed that it won't either, but ASMedia has talked about it's PCIe 3.0 support which at least suggests that it won't do 4.0.

Thanks goons. The timing seems good since I don't feel any need to upgrade until Cyberpunk 2077 is here.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

TheFluff posted:

That thread is hilarious but it's from back in May and I'm sort of dubious. The bug originally affected Bulldozer era stuff but not Zen/Zen+, so it'd be extremely weird if Zen2 re-introduced the RDRAND wonk from like two architectures ago out of the blue.

Welcome to hell world lol.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Ryzen-3K-RdRand-Systemd-Maybe

eames
May 9, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I don't actually get X570 as a platform unless they're committing to AM4 for a really long time. I can't see how PCIE4 is relevant on the desktop, especially if it doubles the tdp of the chipset.

It doesn’t make much sense but they had to launch it. Desktop users would have complained about not being able to use PCIe 4, motherboard vendors would have complained about not being able to market new SKUs and reusing the I/O die as a chipset to fulfill the old 12nm GLOFO contract is also quite elegant. 99% of all mainstream users don’t need more than a good B450 board though.
AMD also recently confirmed that the server chip after the next gen will support DDR5 and require a new socket.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
If anyone ordered a 3900x on Best Buy, have you seen any movement on it yet? My Crosshair Hero VIII arrived today, but the CPU itself has been "in progress" since the moment I ordered it. Not a huge deal I guess, but I'm curious whether it's a systemic thing or whether my particular order got hosed.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
I've been out of the scene for a while.

I've picked up a 3700x & x470 Crosshair vii motherboard & Fractal Design Meshify C

What cooler would you recommend? I'm currently thinking noctua nh-u12a or a corsair h100i rgb version, are they a good shout?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

If you have a good case the prism cooler that comes on the 3700x has been very sufficient for me streaming and playing games. It's not that loud and a good fan curve helps with that.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

If you have a good case the prism cooler that comes on the 3700x has been very sufficient for me streaming and playing games. It's not that loud and a good fan curve helps with that.

Meshify C is airflow optimised, I'll try out the prisim first before getting a new one then!

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Has anyone here used an ASRock X470 or B450 board? I'm considering the X470 Taichi Ultimate because the feature set including 10G NIC seems really nice and it should have no problem handling future upgrades without needing a chipset fan, but I'm not sure what recent ASRock EFIs are like in terms of usability.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

gilljoy posted:

I've been out of the scene for a while.

I've picked up a 3700x & x470 Crosshair vii motherboard & Fractal Design Meshify C

What cooler would you recommend? I'm currently thinking noctua nh-u12a or a corsair h100i rgb version, are they a good shout?

Nhd15s
Check compatibility with noctua but it should fit.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Do we have any reviews that show one of the 3000 ryzens actually getting a big bump in performance with a ~50-100$ cooler? From what I've seen the OC headroom is very very small, and using PBO pretty much brings the chips right to the frequency wall regardless of cooler. Maybe updated bios will change the boost behavior but I'd think that for most people that extra cash would be better spent on other areas of the computer build considering GPU's seem to have a better option every $50 these days.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009

fargom posted:

Do we have any reviews that show one of the 3000 ryzens actually getting a big bump in performance with a ~50-100$ cooler? From what I've seen the OC headroom is very very small, and using PBO pretty much brings the chips right to the frequency wall regardless of cooler. Maybe updated bios will change the boost behavior but I'd think that for most people that extra cash would be better spent on other areas of the computer build considering GPU's seem to have a better option every $50 these days.

I'm more interested in nose / RGB with the h100i rgb if I'm honest

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

fargom posted:

In the 100-200 MHz range depending on PBO/Auto-OC (for the chip with the tiny cooler, probably doesn't make as much difference on the others)

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Efb

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Those results are about what I expected, not a huge jump but slightly noticeable. I think Noise / looks are a perfectly fine reason to spend that cash, but if I were trying to hit the most performance for budget it's a no brainer that the extra $80 should go into the video card, that's almost the difference between a 2060S and 2070S.

I hate to say it but when I build next month or so I'll probably buy a scythe mugen or something similar just to get rid of the RBG color vomit on the default cooler. Really depends on how much of the light bleeds through a windowless meshify C i guess.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Sounds like a whole bunch of speculation to me, with wordings like "some are believing", "it is possible", "looking like [...] a feasible explanation" etc.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

TheFluff posted:

Sounds like a whole bunch of speculation to me, with wordings like "some are believing", "it is possible", "looking like [...] a feasible explanation" etc.

I think in this case, if it acts like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably a witch.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B is a great Noctua alternative. It's not quite a D15, but for $45 it's a still a decent noise/thermal improvement over stock. I'd still recommend starting with stock for anyone who's not sure, though - It's good enough unless you really want to bring the noise down.

E: Haha, "it's looking like borked RdRand support is a feasible explanation if indeed accurate."

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Get a 280/360mm AIO, join the (lazy) water cooling dark side

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Or be even lazier and use the free 240mm you can get with a mid/top-end MSi X570*.

* allow eight weeks for delivery (at least the stock cooler is fine!)

E: Apparently it's EU and Asia only:

quote:

Eligible Regions:

- EU: Austria, Bosnia / Herzegovina, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland , Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom
- APAC: Bangladesh, Egypt, Indonesia, India, Iraq, Japan, Kuwait, Malaysia, Nepal, Oman, Philippines, Saudi Arabia , Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, United Arab Emirates, Vietnam

Stickman fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 10, 2019

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Risky Bisquick posted:

Get a 280/360mm AIO, join the (lazy) water cooling dark side

got any recommendations? I want as little noise as possible.

I'm debating getting a 3600 and a good (~500$ cad) motherboard for the next two months, and then selling the 3600 and getting a 3950x.

I have a xeon x5660 currently and just want more consistent performance for my 1070, especially now that I'm doing a lot more VR gaming. I am also getting a Blackmagic pocket cinema 4k so I plan on doing so heavy video editing down the line, but I want the gaming performance right now because I'm a petulant child

anyone else in this boat?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Almost Smart posted:

If anyone ordered a 3900x on Best Buy, have you seen any movement on it yet? My Crosshair Hero VIII arrived today, but the CPU itself has been "in progress" since the moment I ordered it. Not a huge deal I guess, but I'm curious whether it's a systemic thing or whether my particular order got hosed.

My experience with Best Buy pre orders is only with Amiibo. Which are Nintendo collectable toys. Anyway they would leave orders at pending for a few weeks then silently cancel. Other times it would show up at my house and then a week later it would be marked as delivered. They never once had proper order tracking.

I would never buy anything at Best Buy unless it was in person or was an exclusive after that. The worst thing is having no idea if it's on the way or canceled.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Stickman posted:

Or be even lazier and use the free 240mm you can get with a mid/top-end MSi X570*.

This is not applicable to the US or Canada. This is only displayed in the terms and conditions, they still show the ad to IPs from US and Canada.

MSI isn't a bad brand, but don't grab something more expensive if it doesn't apply to you.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What are the good mobo brands and the bad brands? I know there are only four brands.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Zotix posted:

What are the good mobo brands and the bad brands? I know there are only four brands.

Eh. None of them are bad enough to go out of business. People don't like Gigabyte and MSI is offering the current $/feature leaders but there's no room in the market for out-and-out duds.

Fwiw all the computers I've ever built have had ASRock Pro4 's and they work fine, even if they're not the best OC choice.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 10, 2019

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I've always gone ASUS and it's never led me wrong

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Most any Motherboard will work for any Ryzen 3000. Even absurd combos like this $70 cheap B350 and R9 3900x worked fairly well:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-3900x-tested-on-cheap-b350-motherboard/

People tend to like the MSI B450 boards because they can flash the bios with USB and without a CPU in the socket, and have good VRMs on the Pro-A, Tomahawk, and Pro-carbon models. As for the current gen chipset I've anacdotally heard good things about gigabyte for mid range (still $200-250) X570 boards. Waiting to find reviews to see if the cheapest X570 board is worth it compared to the $100-130 options for the MSI B450 above.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Penpal posted:

got any recommendations? I want as little noise as possible.

I'm debating getting a 3600 and a good (~500$ cad) motherboard for the next two months, and then selling the 3600 and getting a 3950x.

I have a xeon x5660 currently and just want more consistent performance for my 1070, especially now that I'm doing a lot more VR gaming. I am also getting a Blackmagic pocket cinema 4k so I plan on doing so heavy video editing down the line, but I want the gaming performance right now because I'm a petulant child

anyone else in this boat?

I am thinking to do the same, I already have some parts (ram, m.2 drives, a 2080) burning a hole on my desk, so I am thinking about grabbing the X570 taichi and a 3600 to hold me over till 3950X. I was originally going to do the 3900X thinking it might be able to boost better, but it seems like the thermal density is so high, nothing really boosts well, and they're sold out everywhere anyways - so it might be better to just go for the 3950X.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Burno posted:

I am thinking to do the same, I already have some parts (ram, m.2 drives, a 2080) burning a hole on my desk, so I am thinking about grabbing the X570 taichi and a 3600 to hold me over till 3950X. I was originally going to do the 3900X thinking it might be able to boost better, but it seems like the thermal density is so high, nothing really boosts well, and they're sold out everywhere anyways - so it might be better to just go for the 3950X.

Yeah, I'm definitely going this route. The 3600 is more than adequate until the 3950x comes out in September. I may even hold off until black Friday/Christmas and see how everything shakes out.

I just don't know what motherboard to get at this point, haven't had a need to shop for a board for years. I think the last time I did a bunch of research was when I contemplated getting a 4790k a couple of years ago. I really do want an x570, though, because PCIe4 nvme sounds incredibly useful.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

pixaal posted:

This is not applicable to the US or Canada. This is only displayed in the terms and conditions, they still show the ad to IPs from US and Canada.

MSI isn't a bad brand, but don't grab something more expensive if it doesn't apply to you.

That's lame :( Come on MSi, sooo close to being good*

*for a corporation.

Penpal posted:

Yeah, I'm definitely going this route. The 3600 is more than adequate until the 3950x comes out in September. I may even hold off until black Friday/Christmas and see how everything shakes out.

I just don't know what motherboard to get at this point, haven't had a need to shop for a board for years. I think the last time I did a bunch of research was when I contemplated getting a 4790k a couple of years ago. I really do want an x570, though, because PCIe4 nvme sounds incredibly useful.

PCIe 4.0 NVMe is useful if you have massive sequential r/w (just like PCIe 3.0 NVMe), but rand r/w is still pretty much identical to PCIe 3.0 (which is pretty much identical to SATA) because it's bottlenecked by the on-chip control structure. If you're doing applications that benefit from NVMe's large-file sequential rates, PCIe 4.0 should make that even better, though!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 10, 2019

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Stickman posted:

On mobile so I can’t check but I remember reading on reddit that this is Asia/Middle East exclusive so you might want to check the regions in the terms and conditions. Just a heads up.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Based on the Ryzen 3000 launch, the Radeon 5700 launch, and the X570 launch, I think we can safely say that AMD isn't that good at heat dissipation.

At least their products don't totally suck anymore. And their technical documentation is excellent.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

On mobile so I can’t check but I remember reading on reddit that this is Asia/Middle East exclusive so you might want to check the regions in the terms and conditions. Just a heads up.

You're right, EU and Asia only, thanks!

quote:

Eligible Regions:

- EU: Austria, Bosnia / Herzegovina, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland , Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom
- APAC: Bangladesh, Egypt, Indonesia, India, Iraq, Japan, Kuwait, Malaysia, Nepal, Oman, Philippines, Saudi Arabia , Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, United Arab Emirates, Vietnam

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I'm leaning more and more toward a 3600 and either a placeholder b450 or a 'final' x570 board. If they didn't have a chipset fan I'd definitely get an expensive x570 board to drop a zen3 into next year.

I'm thinking the 3600 will serve family well if I decide to go with a 3900x, 3950x, threadripper, or 4000 series CPU at some point.

Penpal posted:

The PCIE4 nvme isn't really useful. Real world performance is going to be near identical to the normal pcie3 nvme drives outside of some highly specialized tasks where you might be better off with an MLC drive anyway due to endurance if you're regularly doing those tasks.

The main benefit of x570 is you get a ton of PCIE3 lanes for motherboard manufacturers to add stuff with and for you to have multiple GPUS for compute, 10gb ethernet cards, sata port addon cards, 2-3 full speed m2 nvme drives, etc. If you don't need that stuff because you don't do those kinds of things, B450 seems to be the way to go.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 10, 2019

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Also think about what you need your cpu to do. If you're gaming or doing anything that doesn't peg it at 100% (benchmarks, long productivity tasks) the prism is probably fine. This thing is a legit cooler

Khorne
May 1, 2002

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Also think about what you need your cpu to do. If you're gaming or doing anything that doesn't peg it at 100% (benchmarks, long productivity tasks) the prism is probably fine. This thing is a legit cooler
I'm going to sell the cooler that comes with my CPU. A friend offered me $30 for the one that comes with the 3900x. That's 3/4 of what I paid for my mugen 5 rev b.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

fargom posted:

Most any Motherboard will work for any Ryzen 3000. Even absurd combos like this $70 cheap B350 and R9 3900x worked fairly well:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-3900x-tested-on-cheap-b350-motherboard/

People tend to like the MSI B450 boards because they can flash the bios with USB and without a CPU in the socket, and have good VRMs on the Pro-A, Tomahawk, and Pro-carbon models. As for the current gen chipset I've anacdotally heard good things about gigabyte for mid range (still $200-250) X570 boards. Waiting to find reviews to see if the cheapest X570 board is worth it compared to the $100-130 options for the MSI B450 above.

The build I've specced out is a 3600 with MSI B450M Mortar, flash back and a ton of USB ports just in case.

Has a good enough VRM if I want to upgrade to 3900x in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Will a Prism fit inside a Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic?