Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I haven't touched one but it seems weird to have a travel sized handheld only device without any means to cover the screen or control sticks

I guess the vita did that but it also crashed and burned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I'm happy that I didn't wait for this and just bought my kids a bunch of refurb 3DS XLs.

Seems like a premium to lose a lot of capabilities and just a slightly smaller form factor. You lose a lot for $100 in savings (MSRP).

acems
May 8, 2019

Gamerofthegame posted:

I haven't touched one but it seems weird to have a travel sized handheld only device without any means to cover the screen or control sticks

i don’t think that has anything to do with why the vita failed at all.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Took out my LABO box and tried to find the thing that indicates that it can't be played in handheld mode. Finally found it hidden on the bottom of the box, lol.
Gonna be a lot of sad kids and angry parents who bought a Lite and a LABO set this Christmas. Nintendo really need to issue stickers or something to retailers that indicate that a game isn't compatible. That little box on the back of the cover is worthless.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

TraderStav posted:

I'm happy that I didn't wait for this and just bought my kids a bunch of refurb 3DS XLs.

Seems like a premium to lose a lot of capabilities and just a slightly smaller form factor. You lose a lot for $100 in savings (MSRP).

On the other hand though that's stuff a lot of kids who only want it for pokémon (and maybe mario and zelda) won't miss.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the blue switch lite looks cute as gently caress so the drawbacks don’t mean anything

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Hammer Bro. posted:

Oh boy, traditional tedious Medusa-head platforming section in Bloodstained. Time to sit down and plow through it.

using Welcome Company trivializes those sections, you can ignore the enemies completely and let your paintings handle them

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

CNET posted:

There's also a new true D-pad on the left side, replacing a set of four buttons on the Switch's Joy-Con that offered those same functions. It looks like a better option for playing NES-type retro games, but according to Bowser, don't expect a D-pad on a future Joy-Con: "There are no plans, or nothing to announce, in terms of further variations of Joy-Con."

Nintendo's insistence on letting trucks of money literally roll right past them continues.

I play probably 60/40 docked/portable so the Lite isn't for me but I'd buy an official d-pad joycon in a hearbeat.....

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gamerofthegame posted:

Nintendo actually supports the Switch. The Vita was an absolutely fantastic system in just about every respect other than the insanely expensive memory cards. If Sony actually bothered making games for it it would've done well.

e: Yeah I think this was made almost entirely because of Pokémon.

stev fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 10, 2019

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

When the Switch Large releases they can reuse that trailer but play it in reverse: have Yoshiaki Koizumi glare at the too-bright sun then return through that doorway and to the big tv in the featureless white void

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Didn’t the Switch Lite come out years ago

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
I've probably played my Switch docked 10 times in two years. Would definitely have bought this if it was available in January 2018 when I got mine.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lodin posted:

Took out my LABO box and tried to find the thing that indicates that it can't be played in handheld mode. Finally found it hidden on the bottom of the box, lol.
Gonna be a lot of sad kids and angry parents who bought a Lite and a LABO set this Christmas. Nintendo really need to issue stickers or something to retailers that indicate that a game isn't compatible. That little box on the back of the cover is worthless.

There's, ah, not lively going to be a whole lot of Labo on shelves this winter in the first place

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Looks cool for people who are into that kinda thing. Shame the bat is only an hour longer tho. If it was clamshell i might have picked one up.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

God this would look incredible in OG Game Boy colours.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Steve2911 posted:

e: Yeah I think this was made almost entirely because of Pokémon.

It was inevitable that they were going to make a budget switch aimed at (parents of) young kids, but yeah, Pokemon is as good a "launch title" for this as any.

I use my Switch docked a lot, and like the OG Switch's versatility in playing options, so I have no use for this thing. But more power to ya if you do!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

between the sick ratio for the NES games releasing in July and announcing "dont expect dpads for future joycons" idk why this company is so deadset on stepping in poo poo on purpose

acems
May 8, 2019

the regular switch is the ideal device for pooping at home. you connect it to your tv and take it to the bathroom. i cant connect a switch lite to my tv after i poop. im not gonna buy it.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
They made the switch better by killing off docked mode, motion controls, hd rumble and labo! Pity about the colour choices.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Now I'm trying to decide which is the better play:

1) Pay to have Nintendo fix the broken wireless in my switch. From my online sleuthing it sounds like they would charge about $125 for that plus whatever I would pay to ship it in.
2) Wait two months and buy this for times where I want to be network connected while not docked.

I think it's going to boil down to how easy it is to transfer games and save states between consoles.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Where's the Link's Awakening edition of the Lite?? Seems like there really should be one. They even release on the same date.

A Nintendo Vita seems like a nice proposition to me, so I may well end up buying the Lite (I've never even touched a Switch).

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Where's Dummy Thick Nerd Pro Switch (tv only)

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Gamerofthegame posted:

The Vita is an absolutely impeccable piece of hardware, it died because Sony dumped a poo poo ton of money on AAA exclusives for it, then immediately got cold feet when it didn't go well, pulled all the money for software and tried to sell it as a PS4 accessory. It can also play PSP and PS1 games, all of which look great on that little OLED screen. And you can put it in your pocket, and it's got a great D-pad.

I love my Switch, but I'm more likely to take my Vita with me. The Switch Lite potentially changes that up, which is a really good move.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mons Hubris posted:

If I could trade my Switch in for like... $180 I would probably just get the portable one, the D-pad seems a lot better and I'd like the extra battery life. I played BOTW in docked mode but basically nothing else since then.
If you have an original model Switch that's still hackable (before the board revision that fixes the RCM exploit, which if you bought one in 2017- early 2018 it probably is) those are selling on eBay for $180ish just the bare tablet.

Basically anyone who wants to get a Switch Lite can flip their existing unit and probably pocket some cash too.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 10, 2019

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

They made the switch better by killing off docked mode, motion controls, hd rumble and labo! Pity about the colour choices.

But they removed the IR camera! Where's my precious IR camera Nintendo, you cowards! :argh:

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I've never hooked up my switch to my TV so in retrospect I probably should've waited and saved $100 (+however many gold coins that works out to)

Also has anyone said "lite switch" yet?

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014

aww yeah! I loved the Vita/psp!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Worklurker posted:

aww yeah! I loved the Vita/psp!

Yeah except this won't have all the secondary uses that got hacked into it.

I mean it matters less now we have smartphones I guess. But still, I really wish the switch could be a portable media player.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 10, 2019

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Clearly a fake. There's only 12 months on the calendar, not 20.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

ExcessBLarg! posted:

If you have an original model Switch that's still hackable (before the board revision that fixes the RCM exploit, which if you bought one in 2017- early 2018 it probably is) those are selling on eBay for $180ish just the bare tablet.

Basically anyone who wants to get a Switch Lite can flip their existing unit and probably pocket some cash too.

Honestly though, you should hack it first, switch homebrew is amazing.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rabelais D posted:

WTF why is it still called a switch then ; you can't switch between TV and handheld and you can't even switch out the joycons
The "Switch" is a software platform now.

I think I've said this before (in response to nay-sayers who said the Switch Lite would never be), but it was absolutely essential after the Wii U failure that Nintendo focus their messing of a hybrid-platform on a single SKU for the launch of the original Switch (which they did), but now that the Switch as a software platform is massively popular they can do these spin-off models and it will be OK because it's the platform that has the inertia behind it, not the hardware.

Steve2911 posted:

The Vita was an absolutely fantastic system in just about every respect other than the insanely expensive memory cards. If Sony actually bothered making games for it it would've done well.
One of the problems with the Vita is that it was always going to be Sony's second-rate system after the PS4. That might've been fine at one time (like the market conditions that allowed for the success of the PSP) but with a popular, cheaper handheld platform (3DS/2DS) chipping away at the low-end of the market, and increased competition from mobile, the Vita just wasn't a profitable platform (or profitable enough for Sony).

The Switch Lite doesn't have that problem because it is the same platform as the Switch. Aside from some motion-control edge cases (which don't really appeal to handheld players anyways), the Switch Lite is just as much a first-class citizen as the Switch itself.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Wrex Ruckus posted:

Also has anyone said "lite switch" yet?

Holy poo poo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I can't imagine why I'd want it if I can't plug it into the tv tbh

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is going to have the same lovely dpad they put on the 3/2DS

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The Switch Lite doesn't have that problem because it is the same platform as the Switch. Aside from some motion-control edge cases (which don't really appeal to handheld players anyways), the Switch Lite is just as much a first-class citizen as the Switch itself.

Can you still do that speed roll tech in Mario Odyssey without detached JoyCons?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

for the same reason people have been buying gameboys and other handhelds for 30 years??

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

For me it’s the exact opposite. If I were to be buying a Switch now, I can’t imagine why I’d want the full version as I always play on-the-go and I rarely ever detach the joycons. Plus this has better battery life and is cheaper.

Nintendo nailed it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fitzy Fitz posted:

for the same reason people have been buying gameboys and other handhelds for 30 years??

But I can buy a thing that can do that and also do the other thing right now and that doesn't look any less lovely to hold

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

But I can buy a thing that can do that and also do the other thing right now and that doesn't look any less lovely to hold

A bigger thing with detachable parts that costs more. They're running two versions now so it's not like each has to appeal to everybody, but this is a better portable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

The Pokemon version looks pretty sweet--white is the best Nintendo handheld color.

it’s not white but gray