Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

the bitcoin of weed posted:

lol that hurricanes are just forming directly over the gulf coast now instead of spinning around in the open ocean a while to give everyone some warning

I remember a few years ago in tampa a tropical storm just formed overnight and blew into town out of absolutely nowhere that kicked rear end

Doesn't that mean they're weaker when they make landfall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Tropical storms have formed in the Gulf of Mexico relatively regularly for decades. When the Gulf suddenly spins up a proper category grade hurricane from nowhere is when to sit up and take notice since those have required some wind up time in the Atlantic first AFAIK.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Kassad posted:

Fingers crossed!

Like, they're saying it might be a Cat 1, but maybe that doesn't mean it's bringing a shitload of rain?

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Kassad posted:

Not necessarily when they're developing in 30C bath water.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah, time doesn't make a hurricane stronger, just warm water temps and favorable winds

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

i say swears online posted:

yeah, time doesn't make a hurricane stronger, just warm water temps and favorable winds

gently caress

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

this latest one is funny because the circulation started over Alabama, not the ocean. cool

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Well if you want a spin up in July a home grown low like this is the way to do it. The Saharan Air Layer is way too strong now to let any of those cape Verde long trackers get anywhere.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

It's nice that our numerical weather prediction is getting really good because scenarios like this would have caught us by surprise not very long ago. These sort of systems are dangerous because of a small window from genesis to impact.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Mad Wack posted:

why are people driving in that

in america they might be fired for not at least attempting to show up to job

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Well if you want a spin up in July a home grown low like this is the way to do it. The Saharan Air Layer is way too strong now to let any of those cape Verde long trackers get anywhere.

okay you seem like you know something

does atlantic hurricane season heat up in late summer/early fall along with the tail end of the west african monsoon and the beginning of the harmattan for related reasons

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It owns that the country most responsible for climate change is regularly being brutally owned by it and nobody in charge gives a poo poo

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Complications posted:

Tropical storms have formed in the Gulf of Mexico relatively regularly for decades. When the Gulf suddenly spins up a proper category grade hurricane from nowhere is when to sit up and take notice since those have required some wind up time in the Atlantic first AFAIK.

Wasn’t this exactly what Michael was?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jose posted:

It owns that the country most responsible for climate change is regularly being brutally owned by it and nobody in charge gives a poo poo

india?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

reminder that the US will see climate change much less catastrophic than south asia, the middle east, or all of africa

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah but it's still being owned by it

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
idk man most of America is habitable and we don't have million-person cities out of water

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Mad Wack posted:

why are people driving in that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_pFe3Jglvw
watch this and just stare forward in silent acceptance as you and your friend drown, it rules.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fermun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_pFe3Jglvw
watch this and just stare forward in silent acceptance as you and your friend drown, it rules.

I just discovered I am apparently part of the some people who become nauseous from VR footage even when not using a VR headset. :nms:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Addamere posted:

idk man most of America is habitable and we don't have million-person cities out of water

not for long

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I wasn't making it a challenge of who is owned most ffs

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's already raining pretty hard gonna be fun when the streets are flooded for the hurricane's arrival

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
way to make the hurricane feel welcome

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Woo tracks moving west maybe it'll destroy Houston instead

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

this is sorta reminiscent of hurricane opal from 1995

opal started out as a storm off the yucatan, crossed it into the gulf, hulked out on loving gulf steroids and went from a tropical depression to a category 4 in four days before slamming into the florida panhandle

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Now we're under a "shelter immediately" tornado warning.

https://twitter.com/bpwarsh/status/1148945336691503104

Barry ain't even named Barry yet.

PostNouveau has issued a correction as of 14:33 on Jul 10, 2019

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Jose posted:

I wasn't making it a challenge of who is owned most ffs

It's still u

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Luneshot posted:

Wasn’t this exactly what Michael was?
No, Michael formed in the Caribbean :eng101:

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

PostNouveau posted:

What happens if a hurricane forms and crashes directly into a flooding Mississippi River? :thunk:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Lol 9 inches of rain is exactly what New Orleans needs right now

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

twoday posted:

What happens if a hurricane forms and crashes directly into a flooding Mississippi River? :thunk:

it'll force the river to run backwards for a bit and then everything comes back

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/DylanFedericoWX/status/1148666342914088960?s=20

hmm

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/DavidMora/status/1148942019865321472

ninja hurricane

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
too bad new orleans won't exist anymore (again)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
My apartment flooded from the ground up. There are apparently holes in the floor that go to the groundwater, so it was like my apartment sprung a leak. I had to move my car to the middle of the street or it would have been totalled and I wouldn't have been able to leave after this storm passes ahead of the hurricane.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Addamere posted:

too bad new orleans won't exist anymore (again)

[NEW ORLEANS WON'T EXIST ANYMORE AGAIN?] Too bad I don't understand meme formats

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Here is my street on the high ground of the city. I've never seen the water even approach the curb before and the curb was gone.

It's all drained.

:lol: My apartment drained real fast too. Landlord does not seem to accept my hypothesis that this means the cork he put in the holes didn't work and that it drained out the same holes and that this is going to happen again maybe worse in 2 days.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Here is my street on the high ground of the city. I've never seen the water even approach the curb before and the curb was gone.

It's all drained.

:lol: My apartment drained real fast too. Landlord does not seem to accept my hypothesis that this means the cork he put in the holes didn't work and that it drained out the same holes and that this is going to happen again maybe worse in 2 days.

Wait for another period of anarchy and hunt your landlord for sport

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
There are roaches loving everywhere. I hate roaches so much and there's one crawling on me every five minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

There are roaches loving everywhere. I hate roaches so much and there's one crawling on me every five minutes.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAA