Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

That kid is ABSOLUTELY going to show up after the timeskip as a super boss you're not supposed to fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

Pretty much. She's going to end up wherever Rhea does.

or she ends up joining back up with byleth's side when it turns out rhea's possessed by an evil thing or whatever whereas other people stick around because they're invested in the church altogether

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

I thought Echoes happened after 12.
Before 12. Camus's ending in 12 mentions him going back to Valentia to be with Tatiana

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Here's another interview https://www.rpgsite.net/interview/8...eries-to-switch

not as much interesting stuff in here, though

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

rannum posted:

Here's another interview https://www.rpgsite.net/interview/8...eries-to-switch

not as much interesting stuff in here, though

RPG Site Interview posted:

When you look at the older games, you meet a lot of new characters one after one throughout the story. You get to know them in an uneven way, and you might know some better than others when you get to the last part. With our new system, all of the characters are here from the beginning of the game, so you have time to get closer to them, to build a good, deep relationship with them. That's a very different approach for us concerning relationships between characters.

RIP recruitment I guess.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Annath posted:

RIP recruitment I guess.

I guess it's not dead in the sense that if you have a certain relationship with a character you might be able to recruit them when the path goes from school to the war

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean Awakening and Fates almost completely abandoned it to the point that the like five or six on-map recruitments that did exist were completely out of place and threw a lot of new players off. If they're going that route I'd rather they just fully commit to it. Like was anything actually added to Awakening by having to talk to Libra and Tharja on the desert map, when they just walk up and talk to you anyway and are both directly in your path?

Endorph fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 10, 2019

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I mean even they fed you later recruits though, like late game prepromotes in case your dudes didn't turn out well.

It'll be interesting to see if this just means 'we introduce all the characters early and you have the whole game to build your whole army up' or that they're just introducing everyone into the story at the beginning so no one just plops in like Say'ri in Chapter 14 but mechanically you still recruit people as units later.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also

quote:

RPG Site: So, let's talk about the school side of the game... what was the thinking there? Was it inspired by any other school-based stories? The comparisons that seem most common among fans is to think of Persona or Harry Potter as a point of reference...

Kusakihara: In truth it's not from Harry Potter, or Persona, or anything like that - it actually links back to an older Fire Emblem. Back a long time ago, we developed a game for the Super Famicom called Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War. When you look at the story, the three characters were from a monastery - they were friends, they worked together - and then they have to go to battle against each other. That's almost the same plot as that older game, if you look at that. So we had the image of this old game in mind before - that's maybe our most significant influence on this project.

thats actually a really good point, that is 100% arvis, sigurd, and quan's backstory, its just never really focused on much. actually, if you think about it, edelgard - > arvis lines up pretty well? Though Demitri is kind of both Sigurd and Quan and Claude doesn't really match to anyone.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

I mean even they fed you later recruits though, like late game prepromotes in case your dudes didn't turn out well.

It'll be interesting to see if this just means 'we introduce all the characters early and you have the whole game to build your whole army up' or that they're just introducing everyone into the story at the beginning so no one just plops in like Say'ri in Chapter 14 but mechanically you still recruit people as units later.

i mean the teachers exist, and are probably the late-game prepromotes, but they're obviously around for the whole game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh wait it was sigurd, eldigan, and quan, not arvis, my bad

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
the brief reunion edelgard and claude had in the timeskip trailer does kinda remind me a bit of how sigurd and eldigan really didn't want to fight each other, but welp, now that you mention it

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Endorph posted:

i mean the teachers exist, and are probably the late-game prepromotes, but they're obviously around for the whole game.

Yeah.

Though even with that and the students the roster is going to be tiny on any given route. Which makes sense if they're commiting to giving all characters more development.

But we're looking at like a max of 20 people total per route. Which means deployment is going to be 'everyone on every map' or possibly way more limited than usual.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

Yeah.

Though even with that and the students the roster is going to be tiny on any given route. Which makes sense if they're commiting to giving all characters more development.

But we're looking at like 20 people total.
I'm getting 27 if we count all the teachers and the fact that you can grab a couple students from other houses, which'd put it at about FE8's roster size? Obviously some teachers will or won't join but also they probably will introduce some new characters after the timeskip, and I doubt we've been shown literally every character in the game. High 20s/low 30s seems reasonable. The small roster size would also allow them to write different supports for pre/post-timeskip.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

maybe the chapter 1 brigand guy will be playable

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

I'm getting 27 if we count all the teachers and the fact that you can grab a couple students from other houses, which'd put it at about FE8's roster size? Obviously some teachers will or won't join but also they probably will introduce some new characters after the timeskip, and I doubt we've been shown literally every character in the game. High 20s/low 30s seems reasonable. The small roster size would also allow them to write different supports for pre/post-timeskip.

I was assuming:

Byleth
8 students per house
2 'stolen' students
5 Knights
5 Teachers

Which excluded Jeralt, Cyril and Rhea since I have a feeling they won't be playavle.

Stealing a few more students bumps it up a bit though, still not entirely clear what the restrictions on that are.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i feel like there is no hard cap on grabbing other students whatsoever, its just that the requirements are high enough that you only have time for a couple. keep in mind the school phase is only like 10 chapters.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

i feel like there is no hard cap on grabbing other students whatsoever, its just that the requirements are high enough that you only have time for a couple. keep in mind the school phase is only like 10 chapters.

Yeah, we know the heads of house and their direct retainers are off limit but it would make sense the rest would be up for grabs if you can finagle it.

I wonder if they'll have supports in routes that aren't theirs or if they'll be like captured enemy units in Fates and just fill out the roster. Supports would have to be really vague and not touch on a lot of stuff or have a ridiculous amount of permutations if you grabbed someone on a Golden Deer route vs the Black Lion route especially if you're right and there are different ones post time skip.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I don't think the smaller roster per route is that bad, since everyone can basically become every role if you put effort into it.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I was gonna pull out that quote about Genealogy too! I like that it's an explicit inspiration (and obviously adds to my hope of an eventual remake if they're thinking about that game a lot).

edit:

quote:

RPG Site: One last thing... are you aware of the sort of immense fan fever, the demand, for Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE to come to Switch?

Yokota: Ahhh. [laughs] Well, thank you for the comment - I will go to Atlus, and perhaps we can talk about that!

please!!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I imagine another downside, in addition to the fact Byleth has to get skills for them and you don’t have time for everything, is that they’ll have limited support options. Probably just Byleth and whoever they share a support with naturally that you pilfered/joined after the time skip.

Gluten Freeman posted:

I was gonna pull out that quote about Genealogy too! I like that it's an explicit inspiration (and obviously adds to my hope of an eventual remake if they're thinking about that game a lot).

It makes sense too. It seems a lot of the mechanics are refinements of Genealogy’s.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They could have a limited number of supports. Four/five would be pretty reasonable.

Gluten Freeman posted:

I mean Genealogy is one of the most beloved games in the series and the only thing from it they've really gone back to is the kids thing, so going back to everything else about it makes sense.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

And I've mentioned it before, but mechanically the students thing does feel like a much less scattershot version of kids. They're units you have control over how they grow and can customize to be what you want, but you actually know you're making customizations and the direct influence you're having rather than either having to look up a guide or not even knowing that kids exist on your first run.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Endorph posted:

I mean Awakening and Fates almost completely abandoned it to the point that the like five or six on-map recruitments that did exist were completely out of place and threw a lot of new players off. If they're going that route I'd rather they just fully commit to it. Like was anything actually added to Awakening by having to talk to Libra and Tharja on the desert map, when they just walk up and talk to you anyway and are both directly in your path?

It was worth it for all the stories about players failing to recruit Kellam.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

While there probably won’t be any in battle recruitments during school it’s been my hope for a while that recruiting the teachers during the War phase would be like classic Fe recruitment. I’ve got no real reason to think that’s what will happen but I hope it’s the case.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Endorph posted:

I mean Genealogy is one of the most beloved games in the series and the only thing from it they've really gone back to is the kids thing, so going back to everything else about it makes sense.

:yeah:

It's a rich vein to mine for sure.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I remember the leak saying (weak spoilers I guess) that there'll be more recruits on each route as well, though that might've been the teachers.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Endorph posted:

That's because several of the Genealogy inventions just became mainstays for the series, like the weapon triangle or support conversations.

The thing about getting to know everybody early on is that you no longer get potentially interesting characters 4 maps before the end of the game, where your roster is already established and fixed. After all, the usual FE player does not play with perma-death, we typically start a map over if we lose a unit. So those characters don't even have a reason to exist as clutch characters to shore up your decimated roster.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like I said I'm not reading that as like, 'we currently know literally every single character that will ever be playable in this game' more jsut 'the majority of the cast is onscreen from minute one' which is a concept that awakening and fates already played with, with the shepards and the families and their retainers, this is just an expansion of that. itd be hard to write a story that never introduced a single new ally for the main characters, even outside the context of a video game.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Everyone's probably going back to their original homes after graduation, recruited or not, so I'm thinking you might have to re-recruit characters during the war phase on the maps where you would normally fight them. That would let them have enemy recruits while still introducing everyone early on.

It also means that instead of writing two scripts for maps to account for whether or not a given character's an enemy or ally, they can just write one script and enable a "Talk" flag if you've previously grabbed them in the school phase.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

quote:

RPG Site: You throw the characters you create out most times, to create something new. Is that daunting - trying to recreate the magic of characters who take on a life of their own like Marth and Tharja?

Kusakihara: Yeah, of course. But also, we're always never very far from the legendary characters from the Fire Emblem series. We have games like Fire Emblem Heroes and Fire Emblem Warriors - so fans can enjoy the legendary past characters in those sorts of games. When we have games like that, all-star games, we're really happy to create a whole new game of characters from scratch.

Could just be empty talk but this gives me a good feeling much like everything about this game.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
I hope Byleth is cool like Robin not lame like Corn.

Dimitri is my edgy son.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Jawdins posted:

I hope Byleth is cool like Robin not lame like Corn.

Dimitri is my edgy son.

from what we've seen they seem to be going with the silent protagonist angle this time.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
I didn't know that. That's kinda disappointing but if it means most of the other dialogue is voiced it seems like a fine trade off.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Silent protagonist is awful, if you're expected to romance

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay Intsys, you've one more chance. If this blows as hard as Fates did I'm back to ignoring the franchise and whining when Feh releases anything but Awakening units.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Mysticblade posted:

Could just be empty talk but this gives me a good feeling much like everything about this game.

They say that, but then they also brought six characters back for Fates and gave three of them their own DLC so I'm not entirely convinced.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Airspace posted:

They say that, but then they also brought six characters back for Fates and gave three of them their own DLC so I'm not entirely convinced.
i mean, that was fates, not three houses. and they didnt have heroes or warriors when they did that. there's been no indication of any characters from other FE games being in this, or even any references to the continents of past FE games. Heck, it's the first game since FE10 that seemingly won't reference Naga at all. And if you're willing to stretch and include Kurthnaga's name as a reference, it's the first since FE8.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 10, 2019

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

modern Jugdral is gonna own, DLC Thracia too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Can't wait to play this game in September, after Switch Mini comes out and Heroes has casually spoiled all sorts of plot details