Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LividLiquid posted:

Bischoff is the rare bullshitter who, when presented with evidence, can occasionally say "huh. Guess I was wrong," then continues to bullshit.

The one that really blew me away was RD Reynolds realized after their panel on Death of WCW that Bischoff had literally never read the book but had just spent a couple hours talking poo poo about it, and that he thought Dave Meltzer was the co-writer instead of Bryan Alvarez. When Reynolds called him on it, Bischoff insisted that Meltzer WAS the co-writer and when shown direct evidence that he wasn't, basically just shrugged and said it made no difference to his argument anyway.

Then they walked away into a rainbow holding hands* so everything was all right :)

* Dramatization, may not have happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Jerusalem posted:

Then they walked away into a rainbow holding hands* so everything was all right :)

* Dramatization, may not have happened

But it did

I love how Eric and Bruce both parlayed podcasts making GBS threads on dave into WWE jobs.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Bischoff making GBS threads on Dave and pointing out the enormous holes in his "reporting" is endlessly entertaining.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

OctoberCountry posted:

Bischoff's a prick but him selling for Sting's African crow at one of the Impacts is one of my favorite wrestling memories

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
He also sold for the bird at the end of the last Clash of the Champions. Man’s consistent.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I really wonder at what point Bischoff lost his mind and got mad at Dave. He went from calling him for advice weekly in the 90s and appearing on WOL to sell his vision of the new WCW to deciding he was the devil and opposed to everything good he did in his book. And that was a period of time where Russo was probably getting more flack for killing WCW than Eric.

Maybe it was Death of WCW. Dave shouldn't have written it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Biggest mistake of Dave's life, agreed.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I might as well ask this here.

I've always been frustrated trying to follow the carers of 70s or 80s wrestling stars. I grew up in the mid to late 90s, it's pretty simple to follow WWF or WCW stuff.

Before WCW was WCW it was Jim Crockett Promotions, right? Did they have a weekly show? I know the one per month thing for PPVs was a much later thing I think started by Bischoff era WCW.

I've just always wanted to see why Ric Flaire is the best ever in the ring or why Sting became an icon or why everybody says Dusty had the best promos. But where do you begin when the norm (so far as I understand it) was to jump from territory to territory?

Of the old school legendary tag teams I've also always wanted to see some stuff from the Freebirds.

And I'm sure there are best of DVD's. I got one for Hogan back around 2006. But to me that is a poor substitute. Even the be st matches won't be as good as they could have ben if you didn't see the build going into it. Wrestling is a story and the wrestling matches are only one aspect of that great story.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
6:05, aka the mothership

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Randaconda posted:

6:05, aka the mothership

:hai:

NikkolasKing posted:

I've always been frustrated trying to follow the carers of 70s or 80s wrestling stars. I grew up in the mid to late 90s, it's pretty simple to follow WWF or WCW stuff.

Before WCW was WCW it was Jim Crockett Promotions, right? Did they have a weekly show? I know the one per month thing for PPVs was a much later thing I think started by Bischoff era WCW.

I've just always wanted to see why Ric Flaire is the best ever in the ring or why Sting became an icon or why everybody says Dusty had the best promos. But where do you begin when the norm (so far as I understand it) was to jump from territory to territory?

Of the old school legendary tag teams I've also always wanted to see some stuff from the Freebirds.

And I'm sure there are best of DVD's. I got one for Hogan back around 2006. But to me that is a poor substitute. Even the be st matches won't be as good as they could have ben if you didn't see the build going into it. Wrestling is a story and the wrestling matches are only one aspect of that great story.

The old days before the 1980s were entirely regionally splintered. It was only from the late 1980s, as a response to the WWF swallowing many places up, that WCW formed from what remained of the National Wrestling Alliance and both carried on those traditions and grew in its own right.

The good and bad news? Much of that is now in WWE's tape libraries and on the WWE Network. The bad news? It still takes researching who was where, and when, in order to really get an idea.

If you're interested in Flair, I would imagine there's a lot of old stuff on there. Both he and Dusty were mainstays in Georgia Championship Wrestling, so their shows would be where to look for feuds/builds/matches between Dusty and any of the Four Horsemen. Sting was also in that period and the later 'true' WCW era. The Freebirds later on were there, but their earlier work is also in World Class Championship Wrestling, some of which is on the Network too.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

plus WWE butchers the poo poo out of their tape libraries making historical research even more of a chore.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

By the early 1980s the territories were in decline and wrestlers became more anchored to companies. Flair was NWA Champion but the NWA title became completely controlled by Crockett. Flair's non Crockett dates were an exception rather than being a touring champion. You can follow his career from his start in the Carolinas until 91 and not miss much if you just watch Mid Atlantic TV.

It's harder to see why Flair was the best because the weekly TV was mostly promos. His best matches from his mid 80s peak were often not taped, and few of his house show matches exist. You can basically understand the Freebirds by watching World Class TV. Definitely don't watch their WCW run after that, it's not the same group and they suck. Sting's rise is easy to watch since you can just start watching the build to the first Clash of the Champions and the match that made him a star. However once you get to the point where he actually wins the title in 1990 don't expect much, his reign his horrible and he was a huge bust on top.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Cable was always going to kill the territories, it's just that Vince was the first to say "gently caress this".

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Vince wasn't first with the idea, he just put it into action first cause he had the money to it without also instantly going out of business (and he almost did at first too....if the first mania bombed)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
WWE is like, interesting from an anthropological view, the way they treat the entire history of American wrestling as a prologue to all of it being unified in the form of the WWE. And because of the footage they own and their market position, they have a lot of leverage to push that narrative no matter how absurd it is to enthusiasts.

I think the clearest example of it is their AWA documentary, where the most important part of the AWA's history by far is that Hulk Hogan was there before he went back to the WWF. Verne Gagne? Olympian who owned a wrestling company where he had a difficult relationship with Hulk Hogan. Nick Bockwinkel? Big star, great guy, had a feud with Hulk Hogan.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Maxwell Lord posted:

Cable was always going to kill the territories, it's just that Vince was the first to say "gently caress this".

Vince wasnt the first to realize it or do it, but he was the last man standing at the end of the day.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Is there much surviving tape of St. Louis Wrestling Club's Wrestling at the Chase?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrEEv0GZNTM

annual repost of the best segment in wrasslin' history

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Alaois posted:

Is there much surviving tape of St. Louis Wrestling Club's Wrestling at the Chase?

There are 12 DVD compilations called Classic St. Louis Wrestling which has stuff from Wrestling at the Chase.

It's also available (for whatever reason) on TNA's streaming service if you don't feel like tracking down dvds.

https://impactplus.tv/page/5cc0b8c7a0e845001b936a3a?season=5cc0b91923eec6001cdfa6db

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That is the greatest gif in the history of our sport.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

MassRafTer posted:

I really wonder at what point Bischoff lost his mind and got mad at Dave. He went from calling him for advice weekly in the 90s and appearing on WOL to sell his vision of the new WCW to deciding he was the devil and opposed to everything good he did in his book. And that was a period of time where Russo was probably getting more flack for killing WCW than Eric.

I think it's all just an act, same as Bruce Prichard. They've all been friendly with Dave back in the day. They just know there's an easy audience of absolute morons they can monetize and who hate Dave with a passion. This dumb audience wasn't even alive when WCW Nitro was on and will buy literally everything Bischoff says just because they are desperate to associate with someone who makes them feel like a wrestling insider. If they actually watched a single episode of WCW Nitro from 2000-2001, they'd know that Bischoff and Vince Russo are horrible bookers and never listen to a podcast again.

Dave is also a good target cause they can attack him most of the time and weasel out of actually saying anything negative about Vince McMahon or WWE, which is very good since all the podcast guys are just angling to get jobs back with WWE anyway. And even when Prichard/Bischoff work for WWE and prove all of this to be true, the same idiotic audience will somehow not see this as a conflict of interest and continue to support them.

If either guy had a confident, reliable source of income and wasn't just angling to get some bucks, they'd never mention Dave Meltzer. Bischoff is a little extra salty these days because Dave has correctly pointed out that he's a broke alcoholic stumbling around signing booths at conventions.

Tato fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 10, 2019

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Tato posted:

I think it's all just an act, same as Bruce Prichard. They've all been friendly with Dave back in the day. They just know there's an easy audience of absolute morons they can monetize and who hate Dave with a passion. This dumb audience wasn't even alive when WCW Nitro was on and will buy literally everything Bischoff says just because they are desperate to associate with someone who makes them feel like a wrestling insider. If they actually watched a single episode of WCW Nitro from 2000-2001, they'd know that Bischoff and Vince Russo are horrible bookers and never listen to a podcast again.

Dave is also a good target cause they can attack him most of the time and weasel out of actually saying anything negative about Vince McMahon or WWE, which is very good since all the podcast guys are just angling to get jobs back with WWE anyway. And even when Prichard/Bischoff work for WWE and prove all of this to be true, the same idiotic audience will somehow not see this as a conflict of interest and continue to support them.

If either guy had a confident, reliable source of income and wasn't just angling to get some bucks, they'd never mention Dave Meltzer. Bischoff is a little extra salty these days because Dave has correctly pointed out that he's a broke alcoholic stumbling around signing booths at conventions.

Yeah but when Bischoff wrote his book that anti-Dave audience wasn't there. Obviously there's always people who didn't like him but wasn't something you'd try to monetize with some whining in a book.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!
I wish I were a broke alcoholic that could sell my signature on 8x10s of me in my physical prime as a job.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

smikey posted:

I wish I were a broke alcoholic that could sell my signature on 8x10s of me in my physical prime as a job.

I'm assuming you've tried it already?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Is Bischoff broke broke or “on paper” broke?

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

fart blood posted:

Is Bischoff broke broke or “on paper” broke?

Declared bankruptcy the other year due to bad investments.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

The Croc posted:

Like TNA and Jason Hervey perhaps?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

The Croc posted:

And it was a Chapter 13, the "soft landing" where there's an attempt to repay much of it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fart blood posted:

Like TNA and Jason Hervey perhaps?

Jason Hervey was basically his only good investment. He hasn't gotten anything picked up since they split.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Doesn't he own a microbrewery or something?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

MassRafTer posted:

Jason Hervey was basically his only good investment. He hasn't gotten anything picked up since they split.

I thought they liked each other. I didn’t know they had a falling out.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

https://www.docketbird.com/court-cases/Eric-A-Bischoff-and-Loree-E-Bischoff/azb-2:2017-bk-05021

you can read the court doc on his bankruptcy there it actually got finalized in may this year.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Whatever they were like IRL, I always feel bad when I see all these wrestling podcasts. I figure they mostly all exist because ex-wrestling personalities desperately need the money.

Even if you don't die young, you kinda just languish in poverty.

Or you're Vince McMahon and you did steroids and drugs and alcohol and took crazy bumps but you're still alive and rich into your 70s.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

NikkolasKing posted:

Whatever they were like IRL, I always feel bad when I see all these wrestling podcasts. I figure they mostly all exist because ex-wrestling personalities desperately need the money.

Even if you don't die young, you kinda just languish in poverty.

Or you're Vince McMahon and you did steroids and drugs and alcohol and took crazy bumps but you're still alive and rich into your 70s.

Some of them seem more like for attention, which is pretty sad, too. A life on the road alienating your friends and family doesn’t leave you with much for old age once wrestling’s done with you.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

MassRafTer posted:

Yeah but when Bischoff wrote his book that anti-Dave audience wasn't there. Obviously there's always people who didn't like him but wasn't something you'd try to monetize with some whining in a book.

He wrote his book when he was with WWE, right? Maybe some WWE politics played a part in it? I don't know, you'd know better than me!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dave Meltzer said recently on a WOR that Bobby Heenan DID know that Hogan was gonna be the third man, which ruins my long-held belief that years of constantly claiming Hogan was up to something finally paid off when he wasn't expecting it to :smith:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fart blood posted:

I thought they liked each other. I didn’t know they had a falling out.

I don't know anything about what happened, but you can like a person but not want to work with them (and vice-versa).

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Dave Meltzer said recently on a WOR that Bobby Heenan DID know that Hogan was gonna be the third man, which ruins my long-held belief that years of constantly claiming Hogan was up to something finally paid off when he wasn't expecting it to :smith:

I'm going to just assume Dave is speculating and that Heenan not knowing is canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

On a recent Jericho podcast about the sale of wcw, Dave said that he wrote in the Observer that he knew (or heavily suspected) that Hogan was the 3rd man and while Heenan might not have been a reader, Tenay definitely was and would likely have told Heenan.