Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Hi everyone, I just want to drop in and say I'm not dead, I just got whisked away on a surprise holiday as a celebration of graduating university. As such I don't have access to my PC for more FE4 right now, but rest assured, I'll return to keep up the genealogy of the holy bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Take your time, and congrats on graduating! :toot:

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:siren: 23: It Ends :siren:

This concludes the first run of the LP! I'll be back soon with an interlude update to introduce the party going into Ephraim's exclusive chapters, and then the LP will continue to the end of the game from there.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Minus Green posted:

I'll be back soon with an interlude update to introduce the party going into Ephraim's exclusive chapters, and then the LP will continue to the end of the game from there.

Seems like a good time to grind the tower of valni after the reunion, and show-off the ephraim/eirika double-promote glitch, if you're up for it and just wanna show stuff off.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Jen X posted:

Seems like a good time to grind the tower of valni after the reunion, and show-off the ephraim/eirika double-promote glitch, if you're up for it and just wanna show stuff off.

Boy howdy, have I got a good reason to do that this run.

24: Interlude: The B-Team

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
oh dear god

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

So the theme of this run is one singular big hit, huh? I wouldn't sell Kyle too short. He's got solid base defense, a reasonable growth, and provoke making him darn near the only defensive unit you've got.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

While all the hits on 5% defense growths were pretty neat, personally I was more impressed that Artur hit his 15% speed growth three times in six levels!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

No speed and no defenses on anyone, huh? That's...well, good luck! Try not to have everyone killed.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Funny thing about Despoil: If you randomize...chest items, I think? Your rewards from Despoil are also randomized.

Who likes grinding out Excaliburs and Boots? :dance:

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

So the theme of this run is one singular big hit, huh? I wouldn't sell Kyle too short. He's got solid base defense, a reasonable growth, and provoke making him darn near the only defensive unit you've got.

That's true, but I'd call Gilliam pretty defensive also; he has the highest defense growth of everyone so far, and Provoke and Darting Stance makes him kind of a dodge tank on the enemy turn.

Faillen Angel posted:

Funny thing about Despoil: If you randomize...chest items, I think? Your rewards from Despoil are also randomized.

Who likes grinding out Excaliburs and Boots? :dance:

Well now I'm even more sad that it didn't go off even once during 5x :saddowns:

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

25: Getting Rich in Rigwald

Featuring some of the most baffling AI I've ever seen on thieves.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

In the interest of trying out some more seeds, I have ended up with a few where it was literally impossible to clear Chapter 1, but I want to shout out to Goodman. Seth makes a handsome Hero and starts with Axefaith, while Gilliam is a myrmidon with Swordbreaker and that's probably the best sprite I've seen him roll. Eirika is a troubador, and you do have to heal Seth because he does have Devil's Whim until you get an amnesia scroll.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I kind of fell off the planet for a bit and missed the action, but but good job finishing up the first run and those are Some Stats on the second. Artur :allears:

Joshua makes a pretty rad looking skelington.

And yeah thieves are usually carefully placed on the map for a purpose, but when they're randomized they can get kind of :saddowns:.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ephraim looking like hes about to get splattered by a 6000 SUX

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 8, 2019

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

vilkacis posted:

And yeah thieves are usually carefully placed on the map for a purpose, but when they're randomized they can get kind of :saddowns:.

I bet it's because the randomizer doesn't randomize AI, so if someone randomizes into a thief, they don't necessarily get the required AI settings thieves normally have assigned to them.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

It's just interesting that the thieves got as far as unlocking some stuff, but gave up after the first chest. There's clearly some AI there, but if I had to guess, maybe the programming was along the lines of just "go to this spot"?

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

26: I Have No Shame

In which I finally get an excuse to show off the Konami code, but show enough restraint to not just skip the chapter with it. This one is kind of a mess.

Wes Warhammer fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 10, 2019

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Jesus. Your last run sure was better than this one.

At least that Duessel may fix his horrendous STR issues! Or he may not. 50% growth.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

^
Also, only 10 levels to go.

Anyway Duessel is cool and rad and the red horse is pretty rad, too. :colbert:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

I'm back, having shaken off an epic hangover, so let's get through the first half of Chapter 1, shall we?

01 Chapter 1, Part 1 - The Winds of Nodion

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

There's something so refreshing about seeing an actually usable Arden. Plus, that Dew is :allears: And drat, that Eldigan is a hell of a note to end on. :stare:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
On the other hand, having caught up on the thread, Neo-Ephraim is a sad creature indeed. A stain on his reputation! I hope he can be redeemed!

Mind, he still looks good for being, well, dead. Better than Orson's wife, anyway.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

So does the Genealogy randomizer try to maintain some level of consistency between parent/child pairs that aren't covered by the inheritance system for playables? Obviously it doesn't care about preserving sibling relationships given Sigurd and Ethlyn. Basically I'm asking if we have ridiculous Forseti Ares to look forward to.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
It can, but I've selected for it not to in this case. You can set it to inherit classes, inherit based on weapon type (child will always be able to use one of the dominant parent's weapons) or completely random. I've set it to the latter. Holy weapons are guaranteed to be passed down, but not to be useable. Blood is inherited, so if a character does luck into a class that can use the Holy weapon, they can keep using it.

In the specific case of Ares, this is unlikely, he inherits neither his blood nor his inventory from anyone. As far as the game's concerned he's wholly unrelated to Eldigan, except in the narrative.

Ares, Julia and Shanan are hardwired to have Major bloods, so we'll see at least three Gen 2 holy weapons. Maybe more -- there are things I can do, but I want to cover that when I get to it.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Oh boy, that's a scary Eldigan! I guess you have to hope Lachesis is good enough to get close to him for that conversation!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
If people would prefer, I can change to a version of the ROM where classes are passed down to children. Promotions for those classes will still be random as gently caress though.

This can, from my experiments, be done with no major effects, save one: Ethlyn's Holy Blood changes to Minor Neir and she loses a Bow rank.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MarquiseMindfang posted:

If people would prefer, I can change to a version of the ROM where classes are passed down to children. Promotions for those classes will still be random as gently caress though.

This can, from my experiments, be done with no major effects, save one: Ethlyn's Holy Blood changes to Minor Neir and she loses a Bow rank.

Nah. Embrace the chaos. I want things to be as unpredictable as they can be and then some.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Update 8.5: The one where Sue goes mad with power.

don't have much else to say tbh

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Has Sue been tested for performance enhancing drugs?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That Sue is...amazing. I hope she keeps that up and just caps everything. Let God Sue be a part of this run.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Be careful, though, you don't want her to become a Mary Sue :v:

Durandal looks amazing, it's just a shame other swords are so terrible.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Sue's turning out perfectly normal I don't know what anyone's talking about

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Henning got Sued for all he was worth :mmmhmm:

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.

Blaze Dragon posted:

That Sue is...amazing. I hope she keeps that up and just caps everything. Let God Sue be a part of this run.

I mean, go back and look at her growth rates. Only thing I think she may not cap is Res, and that's only if she gets unlucky with her 60% growth. (Well, 59%, but same difference right?)

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

27: Shape Up or Ship Out

An old friend from Run 1 returns in a spiritual kind of way.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Sure Shot on a Dark user seems fun, but that speed...

Also :lol: that short spear

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

All them water walking priests :mmmhmm:

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

28: Five Percent Discount

Featuring the second and hopefully last usage of the Konami code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
The Fe8 randomiser really seems to hate defence growths.