Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i don't even care about the function keys, fn+1 is fine as f1 for me, but i want a goddamn hardware escape key

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
remap Caps Lock

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Honj Steak posted:

Man, I recently built a Hackintosh that performs about as well as a mid-range iMac Pro, but it was literally 4000€ cheaper and Continuity, Airdrop and Handoff work more reliably than on my rMBP. Apple's profit margins are so ridiculous :negative:

So what 5k monitor are you using?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Honj Steak posted:

Man, I recently built a Hackintosh that performs about as well as a mid-range iMac Pro, but it was literally 4000€ cheaper and Continuity, Airdrop and Handoff work more reliably than on my rMBP. Apple's profit margins are so ridiculous :negative:

Lol

How did you manage to integrate everything into that 5k screen?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Very carefully

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Lazyhound posted:

remap Caps Lock

no because
1. CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL
2. there's a little light on the caps lock and it will go on and off with no meaning if i do that
3. caps lock is not where the escape key goes because i'm not from the 1970s

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I wonder what "about as well" actually means.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

American McGay posted:

Well it definitely boots.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i don't even care about the function keys, fn+1 is fine as f1 for me, but i want a goddamn hardware escape key

Only nerds need a hard escape key. You’re not the target audience have you seen a real Mac user reach for escape I don’t think so :colbert:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Shaocaholica posted:

Only nerds need a hard escape key. You’re not the target audience have you seen a real Mac user reach for escape I don’t think so :colbert:

It's true.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

no because
2. there's a little light on the caps lock and it will go on and off with no meaning if i do that

Fine, map ESC to the `/~ key instead.

I'd love to see you guys try and program with a 40% ortho keyboard with QMK layers.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I bet a significant number(all) of Apple's own internal devs are using older non TB macbooks for both work and personal.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

MarcusSA posted:

Lol

How did you manage to integrate everything into that 5k screen?

My Z390 mainboard has a natively supported Titanridge Thunderbolt Controller, so it is no problem to run the Ultrafine 5K with a Hackintosh nowadays.

American McGay posted:

It means depending on the application it is about as fast as the iMac Pro with 10 cores, Vega 56 and 64 GB Ram, sometimes a bit slower, sometimes even a bit faster because the Hackintosh doesn’t thermal throttle. That machine costs 7469 € in Germany, which is exactly 4240€ more than I paid. Assembling the computer and installing the OS took 4 hours and it’s been running flawlessly for the last 6 weeks now, so I’m pretty happy about it. :v: Long term I probably will be moving towards Premiere Pro, but my current work requires FCPX, so the Hackintosh made a lot of sense for me, especially seeing that I get the same functionality for a price that allows me to also get a better camera at the same time!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

I bet a significant number(all) of Apple's own internal devs are using older non TB macbooks for both work and personal.

CompSci/IT classes are full of high-priced MacBook Pros, touchbar and all. I'd wager 50%+ of students have them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

12” will be reincarnated as the ARMbook

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
The reason Apple dropped the non-TB 13 Pro seems kinda obvious: the new retina Air also has no Touch Bar and a 15W dual core, so it fills the same niche.

The new SSD pricing across the product line is actually kinda... reasonable?!? Yes I know you can buy a 1TB QLC NVME for 100 bucks right now, but I’ve recently spent a lot of time pricing out Dell workstations and servers, and Dell is charging nearly $1K for a MLC “class 50” NVME, which seems comparable to the performance of Apple’s $400 1TB option as far as I can tell. Aftermarket you’re looking at something like a Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, current amazon price $300.

You still don’t get the option to save a bunch of money by downgrading to cheaper QLC flash, but that’s classic Apple. Dell’s fine with showing you a zillion options for 1TB of flash, and with offering cheap options, Apple wants to show you only one option and it’s going to be an expensive one. It’s just surprising to me that the one option Apple gives you is now competitive for its price/performance class.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

For the most part, 1TB SSD upgrades have dropped by $200 on the iMac, MacBook Pro, and Mac mini; and 2TB SSD upgrades have dropped by $400 on the Mac mini and MacBook Pro. The ultra high-end 4TB SSD upgrade for the MacBook Pro has dropped by $1400.

Niiiice

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

no because

Karabiner’s control/esc (keycombo/single-keypress) mapping for capslock is where it’s at. No flashy light.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Spime Wrangler posted:

Karabiner’s control/esc (keycombo/single-keypress) mapping for capslock is where it’s at. No flashy light.

You don't even have to use Karabiner to disable to the Caps Lock light - if you change the Caps Locks in macOS to function as a different modifier, the light automatically gets disabled.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

BobHoward posted:

The reason Apple dropped the non-TB 13 Pro seems kinda obvious: the new retina Air also has no Touch Bar and a 15W dual core, so it fills the same niche.

The new SSD pricing across the product line is actually kinda... reasonable?!? Yes I know you can buy a 1TB QLC NVME for 100 bucks right now, but I’ve recently spent a lot of time pricing out Dell workstations and servers, and Dell is charging nearly $1K for a MLC “class 50” NVME, which seems comparable to the performance of Apple’s $400 1TB option as far as I can tell. Aftermarket you’re looking at something like a Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, current amazon price $300.

You still don’t get the option to save a bunch of money by downgrading to cheaper QLC flash, but that’s classic Apple. Dell’s fine with showing you a zillion options for 1TB of flash, and with offering cheap options, Apple wants to show you only one option and it’s going to be an expensive one. It’s just surprising to me that the one option Apple gives you is now competitive for its price/performance class.

Most of the $100 1TB NVMe drives on the market are TLC drives and the ones using the Phison E12 controller should perform functionally identically to the Samsung TLC drives. The only QLC drive with any significant market share is the Intel 660p and most people agree only the 2TB version is worthwhile because the savings vs TLC for lesser capacities is minimal. Even if QLC was common they all use SLC caches to hide the performance penalty from QLC. The 970 Pro is an MLC drive (an actual one, not Samsung's bullshit "3-bit MLC" aka TLC) so it would probably perform better than the budget TLC NVMe drives (and certainly the QLC drives after the SLC cache runs out) but considering it's hard to notice the difference between SATA and NVMe in daily use that's not a very convincing argument unless your use-case requires the extra bit of performance or endurance MLC provides over TLC.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Shaocaholica posted:

Let me sell you this aluminum colored sticker that goes over your TB so you don't have to look at it for $99

If it stopped inadvertent touches that would be worth it.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My MacBook Pro has - of course - a broken keyboard. It’s covered by the replacement program. I also have Apple care. I brought it to the store. Now they tell me they found water damage and want me to pay for it. Does it make any sense to fight them on this?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Without a hardware esc key, maybe I’ll press the drat thing less which means Safari will stop pointlessly exiting full screen mode. Thanks Tim!

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

AppleCare for an iMac: y/n

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cingulate posted:

My MacBook Pro has - of course - a broken keyboard. It’s covered by the replacement program. I also have Apple care. I brought it to the store. Now they tell me they found water damage and want me to pay for it. Does it make any sense to fight them on this?

They found some of the stickers changed to pink inside. Lawyer up because that is the only way you'll get anything fixed on that computer anymore.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

redeyes posted:

They found some of the stickers changed to pink inside. Lawyer up because that is the only way you'll get anything fixed on that computer anymore.
I doubt a lawyer is worth the 500 they want for the repair. There is no sense arguing with store personell?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Cingulate posted:

I doubt a lawyer is worth the 500 they want for the repair. There is no sense arguing with store personell?

You can try. Best case they make an exception and worst case they tell you to buzz off

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bob Morales posted:

You can try. Best case they make an exception and worst case they tell you to buzz off
On my way trying. Thanks.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Seems like it should be pretty easy to determine if the issue with the keyboard is caused by the faulty design or if it was caused by water damage. Even if the stickers are triggered that doesn't mean it actually has any water damage.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That I imagine would be my case - that the broken plastic knobs are obviously unrelated to any possible liquid damage short of HCL.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Wait, so they want you to pay for the keyboard of an admittedly defective design because the stickers were tripped? But there's no other indication of damage on the laptop?

I'd definitely go up the ladder and bug the poo poo out of the highest ranking person you can find for as long as you can live without a working keyboard. The keyboards are a loss they've already baked into their budgets like they did with the iPhone battery replacements. They shouldn't be nickel and diming owners over them.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Spime Wrangler posted:

AppleCare for an iMac: y/n

Personally I haven't since 2012. But I'm super careful with mine and when it travels it's typically in a padded bag and from home desk to office desk.

I'd look at things like how clumsy are you in general, how often do you move it around, etc...

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Update from the Apple store Munich: a long list of Apple store people have told me various contradictory things, always ending with politely inquiring if I could wait another five minutes.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Update: they agreed to maybe replace some key caps.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Well, here's the thing, if you have the old AppleCare, triggering the liquid exposure sensors results in an automatic 'out-of-warranty' condition, even if it's still in the AC/warranty period.

The current plan, AppleCare+ puts liquid damage under the 'other' category (the other two being screen damage and enclosure damage) and is maxed at $299 per incident.

Unless the store manager intervenes they're policy-bound to charge you whatever the maximum tier is for that particular model.

Meanwhile:

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/07/09/all-2019-macbooks-have-new-material-keyboard/

iFixit confirms that the new 2019 MBA and the new 13-inch 2019 rMBPs get the third generation butterfly keyboards, which explains why they're on the keyboard repair extension list.

The new 16-inch 2020 rMBP will have the previous style, proven scissor technology in its keyboard. Kinda strange that we didn't get it for 2019 models but I bet it was too late in the production cycle to switch.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Mine says AppleCare Protection Plan (A2). Is that old or new?

Also it should ALSO fall under the replacement program ...

Edit: I read my contract and it says nothing about a cap. Guess that means it’s old. It does say “does not cover damage caused by liquid”. Sure, my keyboard issues were not caused by liquid.

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 10, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The old one.

The new one is "AppleCare+."

They've only been doing AppleCare+ for what, the past two-three years so if you got your laptop before then, it's the old one.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

DELETE CASCADE posted:

no because

And also because caps lock is better remapped as control. :colbert:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Now I want to hear someone making a stink about a macbook auf deutsche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Setup: 2012 Mac Mini with 3x Western Digital external drives hooked up directly via USB 3 using the cables they came with.

Issue I'm getting is the transfer between two of those external drives really isn't all that fast at times, and downright slow at others. I set up a 100gb transfer and it looked like it would take about an hour or so, and I tend to see speeds around 30MB/sec between them, which already isn't particularly fast... now I'm about 3/4 the way through it's slowed to an absolute crawl, literally a MB or 2. Then after about 5-10 minutes it goes back up to the 'full' speed. Drives are all < 2 years old, what should I be looking at? One of the drives is the default download one, and I see speeds of 100MB/sec coming down the pipe to it, it only seems to be an issue when involving 2 of them.

I've got Activity Monitor open and the system isn't really doing anything else either across network or drives.