Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I bet it's downsized just enough that the thumb sticks keep it from even fitting into the stock base.

E: you can look at the comparison pics, it absolutely will not fit into the base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korelle
Sep 18, 2010
With how weirdly mad some people are getting over this you'd think they were discontinuing the regular Switch model.

Doug Bowser isn't going to confiscate your old Switch don't worry.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Imagined posted:

The tradeoff was supposed to be a smaller screen, no detachable joycons and not coming with a dock, not NOT being compatible with one.

What? Where did anyone say that that's what the tradeoff is?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I think a Switch that doesn't switch is dumb, but the writing was on the wall with the death of the 3DS. That said, you can tell even Nintendo aren't too sold on the idea with how careful and explicit their 6 minute long reveal trailer explains all the features it doesn't have and which software is actually compatible.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Imagined posted:

I was going to buy one as a second Switch for us but not if you can't dock it. gently caress that. Was really looking forward to it too. I don't give a gently caress what the fanboys say, the entire point of a Switch is to be both in ONE device. The tradeoff was supposed to be a smaller screen, no detachable joycons and not coming with a dock, not NOT being compatible with one.

Let me introduce you to a fabulous product that's been on the market for a couple years now: The Nintendo Switch!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
People that get mad about the "WHY IS IT STILL CALLED SWITCH?!" thing are just so weird to me. It's the name of the platform. Yes, it originally referred to the fact that it could switch from TV to handheld, but now that it is wildly popular, and one of the fastest selling consoles of all time, the name has done its job in terms of helping people understand what it is (the opposite of what happened with the Wii U, which confused potential buyers).

It's like when I was seeing people complain about New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe still being called that when they ported it to Switch. It's.....the name of the game? The "U" is not some modifier, it's just literally part of the name of the game. Mario 64 is still called that whether it's on the 3DS or whatever.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Has anything other than sandwich eating and Labo used the infrared camera?

One of the Resi ports used it for reloading, I think Revelations 1. It's pointless for anything that's not LABO.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

American McGay posted:

I think a Switch that doesn't switch is dumb, but the writing was on the wall with the death of the 3DS. That said, you can tell even Nintendo aren't too sold on the idea with how careful and explicit their 6 minute long reveal trailer explains all the features it doesn't have and which software is actually compatible.

Notice that they do not mention taking out motion controls. The Verge is full of poo poo.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I’ll never understand why Gamers get so mad when a company releases a product that isn’t for them, particularly when they already own something that is.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Also, even if you can CFW the Lite to get it to output HDMI, it's going to look like poo poo. The Switch has a whole bunch of cooling that would never fit in the Lite, there's no way it can run docked mode as we know it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Do I have to buy my digital games twice? If yes, no deal.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Lodin posted:

Notice that they do not mention taking out motion controls. The Verge is full of poo poo.

I was honestly in this thread bugging, wondering why I read something and it just wasn't true or didn't make sense.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Cartoon Man posted:

why would you think this would be a thing

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Cartoon Man posted:

No

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I was gonna buy ten Switch Lites but since I can't dock them I'm only buying eight, thanks for killing my childhood Nintendo.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Because it was a thing before September 2018? This is Nintendo were talking about, you always have to confirm if you get the basics with them

Assuming cartoon man wants to keep the og unit too, system transfers were supported since launch if he wants to sell the old one with more features

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lmao it literally doesn't switch

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

io_burn posted:

I’ll never understand why Gamers get so mad when a company releases a product that isn’t for them, particularly when they already own something that is.

Because they forgot to provide the switch pro and that’s because Nintendo is a dumb company of dummies.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

What? Where did anyone say that that's what the tradeoff is?

That tradeoff was his username.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Shammypants posted:

Because they forgot to provide the switch pro and that’s because Nintendo is a dumb company of dummies.

There are a decent number of Nintendo Weirds who always buy the new hardware no matter what. Can't really blame Nintendo for spacing them out to make sure those folks buy both a Lite and a New Switch

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Since I don't leave the house with my Switch but occasionally undock it to play in a different room or in bed, I'm going to make my own Switch XL by screwing a dock, a power strip, and a carry strap to the back of a monitor.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Nintendo deserves all the time they need to work on the pro as long as they fit in customizable RGB LEDs on the bezel and into the joycon buttons themselves

Maybe like a cool dragon or snake logo with sharp edges and a brushed metal finish on the back? The console itself can be all black with neon yellow or green trim, idk just tossing ideas here

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Even though the Switch Lite still has gyroscopes, some games that can be played in handheld mode are going to be uncomfortable to do motion controls.

You can get away with playing BOTW in handheld mode; the only real issue is when you need to solve puzzles by tilting the machine. The puzzles always default to being at 0 degrees rotation when the Switch is flat. You'd have to tilt your whole body just to see the screen when solving this puzzle.

Throwing Cappy in Mario Odyssey is very awkward without detached joycons or the pro controller.

MagusDraco posted:

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1148930723379843078

it sounds like they're considering a multi-account system. maybe. Or at least better system transfers.

I have this feeling that if Nintendo does implement account sharing over multiple devices, they'll limit it to just sharing between a regular switch and a switch lite. It's a very Nintendo thing to do

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

American McGay posted:

Do you understand how USB ports work? They don't just output video signals natively.

USB-C does, actually

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

DemoneeHo posted:

Even though the Switch Lite still has gyroscopes, some games that can be played in handheld mode are going to be uncomfortable to do motion controls.

You can get away with playing BOTW in handheld mode; the only real issue is when you need to solve puzzles by tilting the machine. The puzzles always default to being at 0 degrees rotation when the Switch is flat. You'd have to tilt your whole body just to see the screen when solving this puzzle.

Throwing Cappy in Mario Odyssey is very awkward without detached joycons or the pro controller.

I have this feeling that if Nintendo does implement account sharing over multiple devices, they'll limit it to just sharing between a regular switch and a switch lite. It's a very Nintendo thing to do

Also some games won't be compatible

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Macaluso posted:

Also some games won't be compatible

Labo, 1-2 Switch, Mario Party.... what else am I not thinking about?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

io_burn posted:

Because they are spending time and effort on stuff for babies and not me. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

It was especially amusing during the announcement of Pokemon GO since Nintendo has hardly anything to do with it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Lodin posted:

Because they are spending time and effort on stuff for babies and not me. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

It was especially amusing during the announcement of Pokemon GO since Nintendo has hardly anything to do with it.

I literally wanted this for my kid but ok, strawman it up

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I mostly play docked, so this thing doesn't interest me. And I need to be able to dock it to stream and whatnot. This is totally an option for my husband though! He prefers to play handheld, so we might get one if he decides he wants his own Animal Crossing island as opposed to sharing and/or he wants to get the opposite version of Pokemon so he can trade with me.

People getting legit mad about this thing confuse me. Product isn't for you, so... Just don't buy product? They're not discontinuing the regular Switch, you know...

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Because Nintendo can't do anything right!!!!!

Also, people are saying "gyro but no motion controls" but isn't gyro used for motion controls? Aren't they literally part of the same concept?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If I can install my digital library to the Lite and the OG at the same time and play the same game on different systems at the same time, I’m sold. If they do some janky rear end “transfer” solution that removes a game from one system and puts on the other depending on where I want the game to go at any given time...then no deal.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Switch pro is going to be docked only

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

No one is mad about the announcement you weirdos, they’re just laughing about it, criticizing it or pointing out other poo poo they want, or just trolling for fun because Nintendo isn’t serious business. I’d hate to text message some of you, you can’t read what people feel at all and probably cause a lot of drama.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

WHY BONER NOW posted:

gently caress you. I was just about to post this!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

DemoneeHo posted:

I'm not sure exactly what this means but you already can share games between multiple Switches including with moving saves, I've been doing it for a while

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
It was fun seeing all the reactions to me using the word steamed. I'm still buying the dumb toy, my gentle Nintendo children

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

I mostly play docked, so this thing doesn't interest me. And I need to be able to dock it to stream and whatnot. This is totally an option for my husband though! He prefers to play handheld, so we might get one if he decides he wants his own Animal Crossing island as opposed to sharing and/or he wants to get the opposite version of Pokemon so he can trade with me.

People getting legit mad about this thing confuse me. Product isn't for you, so... Just don't buy product? They're not discontinuing the regular Switch, you know...

Thing is, though, that it IS for me. It's almost exactly what I wanted

Smaller ✔️
Cheaper ✔️
Less fragile ✔️
No stupid joycons ✔️
No TV mode ❌

So that's why I'm frustrated. There are things about the OG Switch I didn't like that this solves. But it's a Switch that don't Switch, so nope.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Switch pro will likely be a 1080p screen in a slightly thicker chassis so they are able to put a larger battery and better cooling so they can run at docked profile while portable. I would suspect that they would play up 'tabletop' mode with it as it would be too heavy to go handheld for very long.

I do not see any situation where a 'pro' model introduces a 3rd performance profile for the system.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DemoneeHo posted:

It's fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I wonder if the Pro model will be docked only just to even things out. Even if that did come to pass, I'd still probably get it just because my Switch is connected to the TV 99% of the time. Handheld Switch is hand cramp city.