Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It can't be mathematically possible for Bernie to be in second place if that were true, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Epicurius posted:

The public colleges are full now, and budgets there are being cut.
States are cutting state funds.

States can't cut federally guaranteed dollars from public colleges.

E:
Public colleges having a guaranteed tuition payment for every student who is qualified to go would inaugurate massive expansions and hirings in order to accommodate more student.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 10, 2019

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Houston was already ruined... (House of Pies excluded).

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

LinYutang posted:

Bernie is being foiled by CNN, but he will somehow outmaneuver and destroy the healthcare industry?

Seems like the MSM should be child's play given the challenges he is talking about facing down.

I love that you can't tell the difference in terms of power standings between a senator running in a Democratic primary, and a President with a popular mandate aimed at seriously overhauling things.:allears:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Majorian posted:

I love that you can't tell the difference in terms of power standings between a senator running in a Democratic primary, and a President with a popular mandate aimed at seriously overhauling things.:allears:

people still base their expectation on what a president is able to accomplish and how much he can push the narrative on what obama did compared to what he said he wanted to do (the statement of what he wanted to do of course mostly being lies)

both bush and trump came in with agendas that sound impossibly ambitious when you say it out loud that they could convince everyone to go along with it ("end the supposed post-cold war era of global peace and create a new unending global state of war," and "make every person in the world pay attention to me at all times") but they did it easy peasy

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Donald Trump literally punk’d Warren into taking a DNA test about her Pocahontas bullshit - which backfired spectacularly - and there are still people ITT who think she has a chance against him in the general election. :lol:

We’re not even getting into how she’s such a blatant Trojan Horse for the establishment against the left.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/THR/status/722464663095476224

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

tylersayten posted:

her Pocahontas bullshit

extremely cool phrasing

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Neat to see Samantha Bee make an rear end of herself again.

Edit: did not notice the timestamp of the tweet

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jul 10, 2019

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Still really bad but look at the timestamp

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mind_Taker posted:

Neat to see Samantha Bee make an rear end of herself again.

Not gonna watch that clip, but the headline is a reasonable point.

It's just that it applies equally to any of the Dem candidates with the possible exception of Hickenlooper

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Failed Imagineer posted:

...the possible exception of Hickenlooper
Naw, nope.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tibalt posted:

Naw, nope.

You don't think GOP would be happy to work with President Hickenlooper on his "Frack the Planet" New Deal?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hickenlooper and Biden could both work with Republican congress to do some truly heinous poo poo.

vivazomo
Nov 4, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Hickenlooper and Biden could both work with Republican congress to do some truly heinous poo poo.

Restoring the individual mandate in exchange for eliminating the medicaid expansion.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Failed Imagineer posted:

You don't think GOP would be happy to work with President Hickenlooper on his "Frack the Planet" New Deal?
Clinton's whole deal was triangulating a third way aka dropping the things that made Republicans mad like integration and gun control, and working out a Republican-friendly solution to problems like cutting entitlements.

What I'm saying is that the GOP would try to impeach Hickenlooper if he won the presidency.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s so nice that Tom Steyer is going to drop like $100 mil on his no-chance campaign when that money could flip the Senate

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Skex posted:

see how Republican's fair every time they try to gently caress with Social Security or Medicare/Medicaid.

I'm pretty sure the democrats were the last ones to propose big cuts and privatization to these.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s so nice that Tom Steyer is going to drop like $100 mil on his no-chance campaign when that money could flip the Senate

Liberals can’t even accept Job Creators when they’re running to make the Democrats more pro business and pro job creation and spending all their hard earned money on helping liberals. :smug:

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Skex posted:

Yeah because Medicare and Medicaid totally didn't last.. oh wait.

Means tested are inferior to universal plans of that I don't think that there is much debate, but your claim regarding means tested never lasting is demonstrably false, yes they are more vulnerable to fuckery but they aren't guaranteed to fail regardless of what "internet experts" claim. Means testing is a bit of a gimmick that's used to satisfy the public that those who don't need the help aren't getting it. It sucks that it's a gimmick that works, but it does work.

As far as how easy it is to make cuts, kind of depends on the program and other circumstances, see how Republican's fair every time they try to gently caress with Social Security or Medicare/Medicaid.

Medicaid is constantly getting cuts to it lol. And Medicare isn't means tested, it's available to everyone regardless of wealth

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Marxalot posted:

It's extremely telling that you suddenly want everyone who doesn't prefer your candidate to preface any post talking about her absolutely inferior policies/record with "While some people who hold the view that she's not The Best Candidate are complete pieces of poo poo, I however..."

If it helps you in any way, I’ve despised Bernie for yrs now NOT bc I’m part of some bizarre DNC bias or left-wing conspiracy or whatever the hell you’d like to believe… but bc 1- he’s not a team player; 2- his ideas have no foundation (meaning it might sound good to say “all college is free” but he never has a plan that would work w’ Congress to push his idea[s] thru; 3- whenever something goes wrong, Bernie, like Trump (& recently like Biden, which I find quite troubling) will not simply own up to doing or saying something wrong; 4- he’s a sore loser (in presidential primaries, etc. there are numerous candidates who simply don’t make it to the next stage — some are able to lose with dignity, Bernie is not one of them). Indeed, think about how Hillary felt during this past election in 2016, or Gore in 2000. They both won the popular vote — Russia interfered in our last election & Gore should seemingly have won close to 20 yrs ago. He stepped aside for country unity; Hillary gave a beautiful, gracious speech to all the young girls out in America about what they could achieve in life.

Knowing all I know now, I would have accepted Ted Cruz w open arms (he makes Bernie appear like Santa Clause In comparison), I would even accept Mike Pence & his desire to set America back to the 1950s. (I couldn’t have accepted Mitch McConnell bc I’ve come to realize he is the Antichrist...) But considering there are 20+ candidates from which to choose — many of whom are Rhode Scholars, have charisma, & the ability to squash Trump like a rotten tomato - I see no reason for a Bernie do-over 2.0. He has actually become more entrenched in his ideas, and nasty when people argue against them. Not in a bright articulate manner such as that done by Kamala Harris, but exactly like that annoying man in 2016 who refused to stop running, even tho it was clear he had already lost the nomination & indeed, by continuing to speak out against Hillary, he was hurting the Democratic Party.

Whatever your thoughts re Sanders, you truly have to realize that if Hillary had become president, the Constitution would still retain all its powers, and America would not have alienated all of its allies within the first six months in office.

But I ramble.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
There are a significant number of people who dislike Bernie while still wanting many of the things he proposes (healthcare, fixing income inequality, etc.). It just so happens that many of those people are women and minorities and they are often told by people who are not women and minorities that they should just put aside their concern and discomfort around the ways in which Bernie makes them feel invisible and unwelcome. This discourse often takes place in a way that is perceived as being harassing by minoritized folks, but when that fact itself is pointed out, they are also aggressively mocked for it. It's kind of a vicious cycle, which is why many of us have simply stopped caring about and engaging with the man and his candidacy, particularly now that Elizabeth Warren is in the race.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Montalvo posted:

There are a significant number of people who dislike Bernie while still wanting many of the things he proposes (healthcare, fixing income inequality, etc.). It just so happens that many of those people are women and minorities and they are often told by people who are not women and minorities that they should just put aside their concern and discomfort around the ways in which Bernie makes them feel invisible and unwelcome. This discourse often takes place in a way that is perceived as being harassing by minoritized folks, but when that fact itself is pointed out, they are also aggressively mocked for it. It's kind of a vicious cycle, which is why many of us have simply stopped caring about and engaging with the man and his candidacy, particularly now that Elizabeth Warren is in the race.

what is there to dislike about bernie?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/TheRickWilson/status/1148975632287764482

Bernie needs a canned "I welcome their hatred" response for this kind of poo poo.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 10, 2019

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/07/09/never-trumpers-2020-democrats-227255

Sorry if this has been talked about, but how can someone live so far up their own rear end to argue "if you want to win, just put up a conservative-light and I'll totally pinky-promise to not vote for Trump"?

Sounds like they are shook.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Montalvo posted:

Also, if your goal is to not be mocked you might want to avoid erasing minority and female supporters of Bernie’s. Claiming bernie supporters are white cis-het men is not a good way to get a conversation started, especially when you claim to care about minorities and women.

In short, erasure is bad, and you shouldn’t do it as a hello

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Faustian Bargain posted:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/07/09/never-trumpers-2020-democrats-227255

Sorry if this has been talked about, but how can someone live so far up their own rear end to argue "if you want to win, just put up a conservative-light and I'll totally pinky-promise to not vote for Trump"?

These people are conservatives who almost surely will vote for Trump regardless of the candidate, and they are offering bad-faith advice for Democratic primary voters to vote for centrists because they are More Electable than actual progressives. In actuality people like the author of this article and shitheads like Bret Stephens know that the Democrats electing a centrist gives Trump his best shot at winning in 2020, and that of course is their goal.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Condiv posted:

The fact he said white people feeling uncomfortable voting for black candidates isn't racist.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

DARPA posted:

The fact he said white people feeling uncomfortable voting for black candidates isn't racist.

That's not what he did.

ross perot in hell
Jul 9, 2019

by VideoGames

Condiv posted:

He's Jewish

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Condiv posted:

Also, if your goal is to not be mocked you might want to avoid erasing minority and female supporters of Bernie’s. Claiming bernie supporters are white cis-het men is not a good way to get a conversation started, especially when you claim to care about minorities and women.

In short, erasure is bad, and you shouldn’t do it as a hello

Could you please point out where in my post I said that Bernie's supporters are all white cis-het men and that he has no support from women and minorities?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Bernie wants to cure cancer, but he isnt even immune to the common cold

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The people who are mad at Bernie are mostly upper-middle class liberals who are super mad that somebody with objectively better opinions than them is getting a national spotlight because it means that they can't just pretend to be the most virtuous motherfuckers in the world anymore. So they invent increasingly insane theories why Bernie and the left in general are bad, because to them politics is just a way to feel good about themselves while being objectively horrible pieces of poo poo.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Montalvo posted:

So what are the concerns and discomforts that you're referencing?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Faustian Bargain posted:

It's because they're used to being catered to by the GOP, and being able to use their influence to steer the direction of the party. Remember when Rush Limbaugh, a loving talk show host, managed to force the head of the RNC to publicly apologize for suggesting he wasn't a GOP leader? The people who write books like "Do-Gooders: How Liberals Hurt Those They Claim to Help (and the Rest of Us)" and "Useful Idiots: How Liberals Got it Wrong in the Cold War and Still Blame America First" have been steering American politics for decades, and they've developed a sense of entitlement around that power.

Now, though, they realize that Trump absolutely does not give a gently caress what they say. The frothing mobs they've manipulated and directed for so long have broken the leash and are rampaging without concern for their strategies and schemes. And they're well aware that there's not much chance of him being primaried. However, they think the Dem leadership might be open to handing them the reins, or at least restraining themselves into ineffectiveness with a do-nothing president cast in the mold of the Obama administration.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Condiv posted:

just brain spiders inserted by the campaign of she who shall not be named

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Montalvo posted:

Could you please point out where in my post I said that Bernie's supporters are all white cis-het men and that he has no support from women and minorities?

second sentence

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

redneck nazgul posted:

If it helps you in any way, I’ve despised Bernie for yrs now NOT bc I’m part of some bizarre DNC bias or left-wing conspiracy or whatever the hell you’d like to believe… but bc 1- he’s not a team player; 2- his ideas have no foundation (meaning it might sound good to say “all college is free” but he never has a plan that would work w’ Congress to push his idea[s] thru; 3- whenever something goes wrong, Bernie, like Trump (& recently like Biden, which I find quite troubling) will not simply own up to doing or saying something wrong; 4- he’s a sore loser (in presidential primaries, etc. there are numerous candidates who simply don’t make it to the next stage — some are able to lose with dignity, Bernie is not one of them). Indeed, think about how Hillary felt during this past election in 2016, or Gore in 2000. They both won the popular vote — Russia interfered in our last election & Gore should seemingly have won close to 20 yrs ago. He stepped aside for country unity; Hillary gave a beautiful, gracious speech to all the young girls out in America about what they could achieve in life.

Knowing all I know now, I would have accepted Ted Cruz w open arms (he makes Bernie appear like Santa Clause In comparison), I would even accept Mike Pence & his desire to set America back to the 1950s. (I couldn’t have accepted Mitch McConnell bc I’ve come to realize he is the Antichrist...) But considering there are 20+ candidates from which to choose — many of whom are Rhode Scholars, have charisma, & the ability to squash Trump like a rotten tomato - I see no reason for a Bernie do-over 2.0. He has actually become more entrenched in his ideas, and nasty when people argue against them. Not in a bright articulate manner such as that done by Kamala Harris, but exactly like that annoying man in 2016 who refused to stop running, even tho it was clear he had already lost the nomination & indeed, by continuing to speak out against Hillary, he was hurting the Democratic Party.

Whatever your thoughts re Sanders, you truly have to realize that if Hillary had become president, the Constitution would still retain all its powers, and America would not have alienated all of its allies within the first six months in office.

But I ramble.

If Hillary had won we would probably have enacted regime change on multiple countries by now. Also, do you remember when she didn't drop out of the 2008 primary because she hoped/thought that Obama would be RFK'd?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Montalvo posted:

Montalvo posted:

they are often told by people who are not women and minorities that they should just put aside their concern and discomfort around the ways in which Bernie makes them feel invisible and unwelcome

Again, erasure is bad, don’t do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
If both of you are taking that away from that sentence, then I don't think we're going to really see eye to eye on this issue; as I was merely pointing out that the pushback to women and minorities that dislike Bernie comes from people who are not women and minorities; I made no assessment whatsoever about the nature and homogeneity of Bernie's supporters are large. Have a good one!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)