Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Timby posted:

HQ was founded by the idiots who came up with Vine and whose sole purpose is to scam money out of VC investors, what did you expect?

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/1148329047392432129

J! STREET BOYZ coming for you, HQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

:laffo:

They roll deep

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
https://twitter.com/buzztronics/status/1148346930507812866

https://twitter.com/tweetophobicpam/status/1148311744965558272

Trebekz Homiez are gettin' upset

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

LOL

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

MorgaineDax posted:

And it's embedded in my mind because of someone posting "don't mess with the J! Street Boyz" at you and it's a beautiful phrase.
my one contribution of value to this thread

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also I am absolutely that rear end in a top hat with my picture of Alex as my profile pic, but only because there was a campaign to change them all to that when Alex was diagnosed, and I've been to lazy to change it back since.

It did come in handy one night in a local group when someone posted looking for people to play Xbox with, claiming that they would "school anyone in Jeopardy" and I was able to just post "You're not going to beat me at Jeopardy" and let my profile pic do the rest of the talking LOL.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Jeopardy just announced the next ToC, which will air in November of this year. No surprise that James is back (so all the people clamoring for him to show up again will finally be pleased). Bunch of other familiar names as well, including Josh the tiger claw guy.

Emma got the 15th invite slot, so there’s chances for a rematch between her and James as well, even if she was only a 3 game winner and might not have otherwise qualified. Probably doing it for the ratings, I guess. With Larry Martin, the Teacher Tournament winner last year having passed away earlier this year, I figure they could give the slot to her.

Some are saying that this is a foregone conclusion with James in it, but I think Emma might actually give him a run for his money, though I very much doubt they’ll meet each other until the Finals, as Jeopardy doesn’t like to play people who have already faced off against each other in the quarterfinal matches.

YouTube announcement here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni76sXhYo8Y

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 10, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

didn't the guy who started HQ die of an OD like an idiot.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Hell yes Josh was awesome and I want to see him beat James. When is this season over?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Poque posted:

When is this season over?

End of the month, I believe.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
As a discriminating Jeopardy viewer, all I hope for is that Lindsey has fixed her buzzer technique for my viewing pleasure. Sounded like she was rattling a spray paint can every question.

Are there any ToC records James can smash?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

MorgaineDax posted:

Are there any ToC records James can smash?

Biggest winner to go out like a bitch in the first round.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

MorgaineDax posted:

As a discriminating Jeopardy viewer, all I hope for is that Lindsey has fixed her buzzer technique for my viewing pleasure. Sounded like she was rattling a spray paint can every question.

I think the problem was her bracelets there. She must have driven the sound people nuts.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

There were seven 4x champs that got passed over for this ToC, but Dave Leffler is the only one who outscored Emma. I think the other 6 are likely out of luck unless there's a massive superchamp next season, there's a bunch of people that don't get past 3 wins, or they hold the ToC very early.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Could also be a scheduling thing that one or all of them did get an invite but had to pass because of a prior commitment. Doesn't seem really likely, but it is possible.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Could also be a scheduling thing that one or all of them did get an invite but had to pass because of a prior commitment. Doesn't seem really likely, but it is possible.

I think given that it's capped at 15 and they really wanted Emma, it's just how the cards fell (since they waited so long since the last one)

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

is there a list of who's in?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Spokes posted:

There were seven 4x champs that got passed over for this ToC, but Dave Leffler is the only one who outscored Emma. I think the other 6 are likely out of luck unless there's a massive superchamp next season, there's a bunch of people that don't get past 3 wins, or they hold the ToC very early.

Yeah, Jimmy said that all those passed over will still be in consideration for the next ToC, but they’ll have to see if there are large number of Superchamps next season first.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

abelwingnut posted:

The video lists them all, but the Jeopardy website also has a list, if you remove Larry Martin and add Emma to it: https://www.jeopardy.com/contestant-zone/toc-tracker

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

abelwingnut posted:

from jboard:

Kyle Becker: 4x $63,802 - Out
Gilbert Collins: 5x $84,201 - In
Rachel Lindgren: 5x $75,999 - In
Ryan Fenster: 7x $156,497 - In
Rob Worman: 6x $133,900 - In
Dhruv Gaur: College $100,000 - In
Larry Martin: Teacher $100,000 - Out (deceased)
Josh Hill: 7x $163,721 - In
Kyle Jones: 7x $145,403 - In
Alex Schmidt: 4x $92,880 - Out
Alan Dunn: 5x $120,802 - In
Mary Ann Borer: 4x $86,500 - Out
Dave Leffler: 4x $100,102 - Out
Jackie Fuchs: 4x $87,089 - Out
Jonathan Dinerstein: 4x $93,301 - Out
Anneke Garcia: 4x $104,497 - In
John Presloid: 4x $92,200 - Out
Eric R. Backes: 4x $105,602 - In
Lindsey Shultz: 4x $101,002 - In
Steven Grade: 5x $115,501 - In
James Holzhauer: 32x $2,462,216 - In
Francois Barcomb: Teacher $100,000 - In
Emma Boettcher: 3x $97,002 - In

4x champs not in:
Kyle, Alex, Mary Ann, Dave, Jackie, Jonathan, John.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I guess the reasoning is weighing Emma beating the biggest champion since Ken heavier than number of wins or total winnings.

And given that she did god’s work, I am ok with this.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Dang, I would like to see Jackie return.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
I'm from Ryan's area, and the local paper has a gigantic boner for "Local boy done good" stories (see: Andretti family, Daniel dae Kim, The Rock, Johnathan Frakes). Now that he's ToC eligible, I fully expect above the fold coverage of the subsequent tournament in '20/'21.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I'm ok with Emma being in it.

If I were one of those four day champs my opinion might be a bit different, though.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Biggest winner to go out like a bitch in the first round.

inshallah

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

HookShot posted:

Yeah, I'm ok with Emma being in it.

If I were one of those four day champs my opinion might be a bit different, though.

sounds like they should have won a fifth game!

They wouldn't have been in there anyway if Larry Martin hadn't passed, so ... I guess they can watch next season and root against anyone who wins 3 in a row

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Oh my God, only an idiot could have missed today's Final.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Timby posted:

Oh my God, only an idiot could have missed today's Final.

yeah, i could see *maybe* not being able to pull the author but they didn't even ask for it!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Spokes posted:

yeah, i could see *maybe* not being able to pull the author but they didn't even ask for it!

I was mentally whiffing on the author but holy poo poo, the title? Come the gently caress on, it was in the cultural zeitgeist for like three straight years.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

what was the question?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Anal Bum Cover

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

abelwingnut posted:

what was the question?

For help with research, the author of this 2003 novel acknowledged the Louvre, Catholic World News & “five members of Opus Dei”

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Groovelord Neato posted:

For help with research, the author of this 2003 novel acknowledged the Louvre, Catholic World News & “five members of Opus Dei”

Oh dang. Did anybody actually miss that?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Teddybear posted:

Nope. 3/3 got it right, although I'm always a little nervous for someone to brain-freeze when Alex says something along the lines of "all of you are going to get this".

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That was how I felt about the Martin Luther one earlier in the week.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Teddybear posted:

Nope, but the kiddy college student made a stupidly low wager and lost to a goober with a Super Mario mustache.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

Nope, but the kiddy college student made a stupidly low wager and lost to a goober with a Super Mario mustache.

Boo, I liked them both. Also, Pennsylvania represent (I grew up in the same county the kid is from).

Also, his wager was smart, he couldn’t outbid him so he bet on him getting it wrong, the best way to go. He could have bet everything, he would have still lost.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Timby posted:

Nope, but the kiddy college student made a stupidly low wager

It was fine

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I hated that dude. Something about him rubbed me the wrong way, happy to see him go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Ogmius815 posted:

I hated that dude. Something about him rubbed me the wrong way, happy to see him go.

Same, dude was a total Young Republican.