Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

christmas boots posted:

Nothing came before Hamlet.

Nothing and no-one.

He was an incredibly selfish lover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

At first this blew my mind that you didn't know, but then I realized it has to have been more than a decade since I've actually posted mail from my mailbox. So I can completely understand someone having zero idea what it's for.

Yeah, that. I've never seen one used, so I've never even wondered what it might be for.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
in my experience, most mail carriers don't even know to put the flag back down when they pick up.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Just found out what mailbox flags are for.

My first thought was to wonder how but then I realized, in addition to what Proteus Jones said, people who grow up in apartments probably legitimately don't know either. The mailboxes at our appartment complex don't have any flags, and if you were just posting something from a Post Office box, you just drop it in. It doesn't have a flag either.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Also some countries don't have mailbox flags at all.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I always lkeave the flag up because it has an american flag and ill be damned if i strike the colors

Also it's just plain festive

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Organza Quiz posted:

Also some countries don't have mailbox flags at all.

Yeah, growing up watching American TV was weird. It took me years to work out what the point of the little flags was. Still seems a bizarre way to send mail.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Sadly I think I figured it out from a video game (day of the tentacle?) where the flag being up was a plot point.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

And I've just learnt it from this thread! I've lived in countries where you post your mail either at the post office or put it in the nearest post box and your post is delivered through the slot in your front door.
I thought the flag was to tell you that you had mail to collect from the box.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Helith posted:

And I've just learnt it from this thread! I've lived in countries where you post your mail either at the post office or put it in the nearest post box and your post is delivered through the slot in your front door.
I thought the flag was to tell you that you had mail to collect from the box.

Yeah, that's what I always thought the flag was for.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

iajanus posted:

Yeah, growing up watching American TV was weird. It took me years to work out what the point of the little flags was. Still seems a bizarre way to send mail.

Put the flag up if you want mail picked up. Always put the mail on edge so the postman knows what mail you want picked up. Flag goes down once it's been picked up. If you don't have mail outgoing, set the flag up with nothing in the box after you get the mail. This is done when you don't want to walk down a long driveway to the box until you know it's been delivered. That's mostly rural. The postman will flip the flag down so that you know that they have delivered. If you have a vertical box on the outside of the house, put the mail vertical so that they know it is outgoing. Incoming is always horizontal. Those boxes often have flags. If you have a mail slot, just set the outgoing mail in the slot sticking out when you leave. The mailman will take it.

Simple rules, reliable and easy. You have mail six days a week so no reason to go to a box on the corner. If it's that important, go to a post office and get a postmark.

USPS has it's issues of which I could go on at length. Of course they suck on ice a lot of times, but they follow the rules and they're predictable. My driver has dog treats on him and he always knocks if he has a package that won't fit in the box. Other carriers can't be bothered to knock, but my driver always knocks, waits for me to come to the door, and gives me a treat for my dog.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

mostlygray posted:

If you don't have mail outgoing, set the flag up with nothing in the box after you get the mail. This is done when you don't want to walk down a long driveway to the box until you know it's been delivered. That's mostly rural. The postman will flip the flag down so that you know that they have delivered.

Wow, I wish I had known about this for the previous 30 years of my life. So many long, hot walks down to the mailbox only to return empty handed. Of course these days I just check USPS Informed Delivery to know whether or not I have any mail.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

mostlygray posted:

Simple rules, reliable and easy.

Yeah, not too complicated.

Although our rules of "incoming mail goes in your mailbox, outgoing mail goes in any of the hundreds of postboxes in the streets" seems a little more streamlined.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I get my mail in a community mailbox. You put outgoing mail in the red boxes. Or take your envelope to a postal outlet, usually in a drug store, and buy a stamp at the same time.

But that's only been over the past few years, before then we had our box on the wall of our house next to our front door. Mailboxes on posts on streets don't exist here.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If you play The Sims at all I'm pretty sure they still use the single mailbox and flag

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Lester Shy posted:

Wow, I wish I had known about this for the previous 30 years of my life. So many long, hot walks down to the mailbox only to return empty handed. Of course these days I just check USPS Informed Delivery to know whether or not I have any mail.
And they still manage to gently caress that up plenty.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Driveways areu bourgeois.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FreudianSlippers posted:

Driveways areu bourgeois.

Yep! Large front yards weren't a thing for most people until mechanical mowers were invented in the 19th century and the middle class could suddenly afford to emulate the tended lawns of the aristocracy's manor houses since there was no longer a need to hire gardeners to scythe them manually.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Or, you know, farms.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Or, you know, farms.

Farms are also bourgeois.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
So is food

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Twitter decided to do that thing where it says "hey, you've got a contact who is on Twitter!".

It's a haven't seen in ages friend. Turns out, she's an adult entertainer now.

:wtc:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Diagon Alley. Diagonally. *head explodes*

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Stuff I just didn't figure out, but stuff I just realized: I have no idea how to pronounce anaerobic.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Jerry Cotton posted:

Stuff I just didn't figure out, but stuff I just realized: I have no idea how to pronounce anaerobic.

If you google "dictionary [word]" or "define [word]" it'll show a dictionary entry with a button that will say that word out loud for you.

define anaerobic

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

pik_d posted:

If you google "dictionary [word]" or "define [word]" it'll show a dictionary entry with a button that will say that word out loud for you.

define anaerobic

Yeah I know I can find out how things are pronounced very quickly (even without Internet) but I was just so surprised to realize I've never actually heard anyone use the word in speech. It's not exactly uncommon.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

The Moon Monster posted:

Diagon Alley. Diagonally. *head explodes*

also, Knockturn Alley..

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Abugadu posted:

also, Knockturn Alley..

Son of a bitch, I just got that.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Same

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
The more I think about the Harry Potter books the more they piss me off.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

pik_d posted:

define anaerobic

no matter how many times I have the magical internet dictionary pronounce the word "satiety" for me, it will never, ever stick; I just seem to have a burnt-out bulb where that word ought to go in my thinky cavern

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Roblo posted:

The more I think about the Harry Potter books the more they piss me off.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Jerry Cotton posted:

An(without) Aer(air) Obic(living).

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

MariusLecter posted:

Anne Aerobics. An Aerobics class, run by a lady called Anne.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eggaerobics?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

+

+

!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

It's pronounced withoutairliving? Neat.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah I know I can find out how things are pronounced very quickly (even without Internet) but I was just so surprised to realize I've never actually heard anyone use the word in speech. It's not exactly uncommon.

:psyduck:

Do you work in a biology-adjacent field or something? I'm sure I have heard it used, but I can't remember the last time, and I can't imagine it coming up in casual conversations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I've said anaerobic a lot, because I've been a fishkeeper, taken biology, and was really into fitness for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Not "just figured out," per se, but I just learned that this guy:

is Robert Redford.