Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

A cowl fashion revival

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

dpush posted:

Sorry i should have said "the C word".

You should have pooped in your hand and then smeared it all over your face.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Student debt forgiveness sounds good, and it could boost the economy, but experts say that not all plans to wipe out student debt increase racial and economic equity.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Ross Perot just died, so I'm obligated to inform you that Jill Stein and Ralph Nader's only purpose is to steal votes.

This is NPR.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

comedyblissoption posted:

Ross Perot just died, so I'm obligated to inform you that Jill Stein and Ralph Nader's only purpose is to steal votes.

This is NPR.

lmao yep

I have been dipping back into NPR (KUOW in Seattle area) because I wanted to recharge for this thread, and yesterday literally every time I tuned in the story was about Ross Perot, or their usual fluff pieces on tech / local entertainment stuff. Good thing absolutely nothing else newsworthy is going on in this country right now!

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

This is NPR.

Also running is third party candidate Jill Stein, a contentious outsider who is running on a platform of what she calls "medicare for all" and "a green new deal" jobs guarantee. But to many observers and democratic leaders, concerns are growing about her ties to Russian propaganda and the anti-vaccination beliefs of a statistically indistinguishable portion relative to any other voting bloc her supporters. Instead of talking about the platform or speaking to any green party spokespeople like we do for other third party also-rans like Gary Johnson, we're going to speak to independent media fairness expert (and former State Department and Radio Free Europe beaurocrat) Blankity Blankenburt about Russian state propaganda broadcaster RT, then have sound bites from a crazy old hippie woman who thinks crystals cure cancer and is voting for Stein because of her astrological sign.

This is NPR, and it's our once-per-month obligatory mention of third parties of the 2012 election.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Real poo poo heard today:

Today we will get a review on the Yiddish language presentation of “Fiddler on the Roof”, now performing off broadway....

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Captain Beans posted:

Today we will get a review on the Yiddish language presentation of “Fiddler on the Roof”, now performing off broadway....

This is the future we deserve.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Captain Beans posted:

oy vey

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

This is the future we deserve.
One in which public radio reviews plays?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Here's an uncritical, and subtly congratulatory reporting of a minor change a social media corporation is thinking about maybe doing to offset the awfulness of their business model, without impacting their profits or growth in the slightest. This is the most one should expect from a corporation, and we won't give voice to alternatives from someone who doesn't work in that industry. We won't mention when this feature is completely removed by a very quiet security update. See you next bullying-related suicide or shooting. Tech: we know you work in it, invest in it, or just kinda feel good about it!

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 10, 2019

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Your NPR Name
1. Insert your first initial somewhere in your middle name
2. The name of the town your maternal ancestors lived in in the 1850s

optional
3. Hypen
4. Your high school girlfriend's dog's name

im Greag Exeter-Cosmo, never has one been more waspy

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
On a recent radiolab one of the hosts used an expression I've never heard before. They were talking about analyzing Albert Einstein's brain, and considered the possibility that maybe his brain had something unusual or unique about it and that could have affected his intelligence. Confronted with this possibility, the host said that it "made him feel itchy."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

kickascii posted:

On a recent radiolab one of the hosts used an expression I've never heard before. They were talking about analyzing Albert Einstein's brain, and considered the possibility that maybe his brain had something unusual or unique about it and that could have affected his intelligence. Confronted with this possibility, the host said that it "made him feel itchy."
I've heard this a few times from people IRL, and I wonder if it might be regional or some sort of very narrowly-learned generational slang. I think most people now would say it makes them feel "gross" instead of itchy.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

kickascii posted:

I'm not 100% sure how to engage this post?

I've felt a sensation akin to itchiness but not associated with any particular are of my body, rather un-localized. Maybe It's a NorthWest thing?

Also isn't there unusual stuff about Einsteins brain? I vaguely recall seeing something ~35 years ago (on PBS of course) about them actually studying his brain and it had really tightly whorled neurons or something.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Million Ghosts posted:

im Greag Exeter-Cosmo, never has one been more waspy

Think I have you beaten with Jammes Boughton-King

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
this is all things considered, i’m mary louise kelly *sucks in air through teeth while pressing right up against the mic*

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

kickascii posted:

ive used this to describe a feeling of general anxiety that i get when confronted about unpleasant truths, like my mortality or the quality of my threads

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
*audible sound of teeth grinding whenever AOC is mentioned*

Oh and also, today one of the shows was talking to someone who had toured one of the concentration camps at the border and apparently it's not so bad! They only hold the kids in empty bleak detention cells for up to 72 hours now! we did it everyone, america is the good guys again

(they practically had this tone talking about it lmao)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Heard someone on NPR just now (an American) pronounce disavowed as DIS uh VOAD. A bunch of people are probably about to tell me that's a legitimate pronunciation but I've never heard that before, wtf is that poo poo

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My anus is itchy

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

bird with big dick posted:

My anus is itchy

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Play posted:

Heard someone on NPR just now (an American) pronounce disavowed as DIS uh VOAD. A bunch of people are probably about to tell me that's a legitimate pronunciation but I've never heard that before, wtf is that poo poo

That sounds like maybe a thick Maryland accent? But no I'm not aware of that being a commonly used pronunciation, but English is such a hosed-up language.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I'm the guy working at NPR whose job is to clean the loads off the microphone. A few hosts have requested that I leave the loads where they lay.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pawn 17 posted:

I'm the guy working at NPR whose job is to clean the loads off the microphone. A few hosts have requested that I leave the loads where they lay.

everybody keeps asking if they can gently caress the tote bags. buddy, they won't even let me gently caress them

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

“Republicans led by Donald Trump say they want to exterminate immigrants, while progressive lawmakers like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez say ‘no let’s not do that.’

The truth: it’s in the middle.”

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

The economy is doing amazing and fantastic! Now let me segue that cheerleading into explaining why it might be good that fed chairman powell wants to cut interest rates despite everything you hear from NPR on how you shouldn't cut interest rates when the economy is doing good!

This is MarketPlace.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
how the gently caress do people tolerate Ira Glass’s voice. i only ever hear it in promos and I want to dump him in a garbage bin

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

The economy is doing amazing and fantastic! Now let me segue that cheerleading into explaining why it might be good that fed chairman powell wants to cut interest rates despite everything you hear from NPR on how you shouldn't cut interest rates when the economy is doing good!

This is MarketPlace.

Coming up on planet money we’ll explain how amazing this economy is and because the stock market is so high with profits and unemployment is so low that means employers are paying their workers like crazy and giving them benefits! All you listeners surely are living in a golden age full of riches and if not then you clearly aren’t looking hard enough since because the unemployment number is so low that clearly means high paying jobs are falling from the sky and we’ll have some overpaid economists on to explain why this is! Now a word from our sponsor, Wells Fargo!

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Today on This American Life: why rent control is bad for the economy even though nearly all new construction consists of empty investment properties

I'm Ira Glass, making sure there's a poor minority to blame for this

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

*poc policy researcher slowly explains that rent control is not literally hitler*

Ira Glass: *grinding teeth furiously* Hmm? I don't know. Ahh....are you sure about that? What methodology did you use? Because my friends economics experts
say differently :colbert:

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

they’re bullying final fantasy seven

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
*sitting rush hour traffic, 6pm Eastern*

This is The World Cafe. Today we'll start the show with a somber, slow solo piano form our guest. Then we'll spend the next 20 minutes talking in soft, moderate, docile tones, as slowly inhaling the exhaust fumes of the F250 idling in front of you while moving 3mph.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
ItS tHe DiAnE rEhM ShOw

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

there was a breakthrough yesterday on all things considered. audie cornish actually said "racist remarks by the president" or something like that instead of "remarks considered by some to be racist" or other waffly bullshit

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Yeah that perked my ears up. Then they did a story about how they finally called a racist thing racist. It’s news that news is calling things what they are this one time. Maybe it’ll continue.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

ItS tHe DiAnE rEhM ShOw

I always assumed she was sick or something in the few seconds I ever caught her show before changing the station because whatever is going on with her voice was just so annoying. Did she really talk like that for 30 years?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

pseudanonymous posted:

I always assumed she was sick or something in the few seconds I ever caught her show before changing the station because whatever is going on with her voice was just so annoying. Did she really talk like that for 30 years?
No, she developed vocal polyps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

No, she developed vocal polyps.

It's spasmodic dysphonia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spasmodic_dysphonia