Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Buck Wildman posted:

there were three entrances/exits: the bridge, the gullykin brewery, and the evil halfling's basement

if you were the type to care about in game travel time it's actually a little faster to run through the ruins between gullykin and the bridge than traveling by the map but lol, come on

Funny anecdote: I've never found my way to Gullykin before going through Firewine. I've always just popped out of the shithead Halfling's basement, murdered him, then popped out of their to find myself in a tiny little village place. What happens if you go to Gullykin first? Are there any quests or mentions or hooks to get you down into Firewine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

chaosapiant posted:

Funny anecdote: I've never found my way to Gullykin before going through Firewine. I've always just popped out of the shithead Halfling's basement, murdered him, then popped out of their to find myself in a tiny little village place. What happens if you go to Gullykin first? Are there any quests or mentions or hooks to get you down into Firewine?

the mayor gives you a quest to find out why kobolds are just popping into the village out of nowhere and you can confront the evil halfling after killing the assholes in the ruins and he admits to smuggling them in, seemingly for no reason other than to be a dick

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Buck Wildman posted:

the mayor gives you a quest to find out why kobolds are just popping into the village out of nowhere and you can confront the evil halfling after killing the assholes in the ruins and he admits to smuggling them in, seemingly for no reason other than to be a dick

Never knew that! Can I turn this "quest" in even if it's not in my log once I kill the Ogre Magi and his band of fire spitters? Also, can any IE engine experts remind me how "find traps" works? Isn't a once per round check near the party member using the skill? So higher "frame rates" should mean faster rounds?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Gullykin was such a nice discovery when I first played the game, I wish more games nowadays would include little settlements like that. :)

It would've made so much more sense for Alora to spawn there instead of Baldur's Gate when you already have a full party.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

Never knew that! Can I turn this "quest" in even if it's not in my log once I kill the Ogre Magi and his band of fire spitters? Also, can any IE engine experts remind me how "find traps" works? Isn't a once per round check near the party member using the skill? So higher "frame rates" should mean faster rounds?

I've only ever gone to gullykin first because I usually handle it on my way to nashkel so I couldn't tell you

detect traps is a check once per round to find anything in line of sight of the thief - I think it's a straight percentage of success based on their skill level to spot something if it's there

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Vichan posted:

Gullykin was such a nice discovery when I first played the game, I wish more games nowadays would include little settlements like that. :)

It would've made so much more sense for Alora to spawn there instead of Baldur's Gate when you already have a full party.

as a matter of fact one of the gibberlings tweaks is to put several characters in places earlier in the story or more easily accessible, and it puts Alora in gullykin outside the brewery

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Buck Wildman posted:

I've only ever gone to gullykin first because I usually handle it on my way to nashkel so I couldn't tell you

detect traps is a check once per round to find anything in line of sight of the thief - I think it's a straight percentage of success based on their skill level to spot something if it's there

How do you do this? When I'm doing the Candlekeep->Friendly Arm->Beregost->Nashkel run in the beginning, I never stray off the road until I've knocked out the first "lets go to Nashkel" quest timers. Then I work on getting to level 2 via non-combat quests, then the mines. I almost never stray east until I'm level 4-5. How do you get to Gullykin first? Do you just start marching east from Beregost?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Buck Wildman posted:

Pretty sure traps have a "level" like locks, so you won't see a high level trap if your skill isn't high enough. There's also (sometimes?) a distinction between being able to spot a trap and being able to disarm it.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

How do you do this? When I'm doing the Candlekeep->Friendly Arm->Beregost->Nashkel run in the beginning, I never stray off the road until I've knocked out the first "lets go to Nashkel" quest timers. Then I work on getting to level 2 via non-combat quests, then the mines. I almost never stray east until I'm level 4-5. How do you get to Gullykin first? Do you just start marching east from Beregost?

It's roughly southeast of Beregost I think? The timer for Nashkel is like 23 days or something insanely generous so I never really gave it much thought - I usually totally cleared every map I traveled through so I'm typically level 2-3 by the time I get there

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 9, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

chaosapiant posted:

I don't think higher framerates affect round times (outside extremes). A round is six seconds. Make sure you have "Pause on trap found" enabled.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Skwirl posted:

I don't think higher framerates affect round times (outside extremes). A round is six seconds. Make sure you have "Pause on trap found" enabled.

Is that true? I'm pretty sure I read that cranking the game up to 60 "fps" will half round times? I tend to play around 40 FPS so the game smooths out without being benny hill levels of fast.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

chaosapiant posted:

Is that true? I'm pretty sure I read that cranking the game up to 60 "fps" will half round times? I tend to play around 40 FPS so the game smooths out without being benny hill levels of fast.

I've never heard that before, at the very least I feel that is something that would have been fixed in the EE. How are you manually changing the frame rate?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Skwirl posted:

I've never heard that before, at the very least I feel that is something that would have been fixed in the EE. How are you manually changing the frame rate?

For BG I'm not sure I am, but Planescape has this option in the options, and I think I heard that the EE's for Baldur's Gate have the default framerate set to 40 instead of 30. Icewind Dale 2 also has the option in the config tool under "updates per minute". Maybe I'm just playing BGEE/EE2 on 30 frames then? I'm all mixed up.

Edit: Also Skwirl is your avatar the animated mouth of El-P?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

For BG I'm not sure I am, but Planescape has this option in the options, and I think I heard that the EE's for Baldur's Gate have the default framerate set to 40 instead of 30. Icewind Dale 2 also has the option in the config tool under "updates per minute". Maybe I'm just playing BGEE/EE2 on 30 frames then? I'm all mixed up.

Edit: Also Skwirl is your avatar the animated mouth of El-P?

I dunno the original source, I got it from the PYF gif thread when lowtax changed the default "stupid newbie" avatar to a toilet person.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Baldur.lua

Its 30 normally, 60 is the best. You don't need boots of speed ever and actually get to play the drat game

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Doesn't the sound desync at higher framerates?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The jerk halfling attacks you if you notice his cellar smells like kobolds before even going into the ruins and the mayor gives you 200 gold or something for killing the ogre-mage iirc.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I beat Baldur's Gate 1 from start to finish three times in three days. The first time everything went great. The 2nd time I decided to do an EE Trilogy install so I started over to do that. The third time it turns out I messed up my EE Trilogy install by forgetting to delete my BG2 folder before installing EE Trilogy so my existing mods corrupted the game when I got to BG2 and had to start over again. I really hope this third one sticks.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

lol at the siege of dragonspear prologue

"yeah we took your bajillion moneys away so you didn't break this poo poo"

*marches into sorcerous sundries and slams jem bag onto counter, begins counting out jewels one by one like an old lady paying with pennies at the grocery store*

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

liquidated like 50k in sparklies you can't stop me game don't even try

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Greetings fellows, behold! I have question: Is Imoen voiced by the same actress in BG1 and 2? She always sounded different to me in 2 and wasn't sure if it's the same person. In BG1 she's basically Bernadette from NERD THEORY SHOW and then in BG2 she sounds more like a sad sulking Penny who is fascinated with death.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yes, they probably just told her "hey your character has been like mega tortured" so she adjusted accordingly

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Imoen had a real bad time and since she's not the player character she can't just bounce back from it as soon as she finds a cool sword.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

"Heya, it's me! Crippling psychological trauma!"

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Imoen can't deal with being a murder hobo. The PC can. The PC is Bhaal's truest son/daughter.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ginette Reno posted:

Imoen can't deal with being a murder hobo. The PC can. The PC is Bhaal's truest son/daughter.

Did the PC even get the torture treatment that Imoen got? I was under the impression that he just straight up nabbed your soul and then dicked around with Imoen (discovering her divinity in the process) and slicing up Dynaheir and Khalid for funsies.

I'm also remembering the first time I played BG2, on the back of BG1, and thinking "holy poo poo this game got dark!" I still think that.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Imoen is such a naturally cheerful person that Irenicus couldn't get her Bhaal essence to come out. So his answer was to torture her until she was depressed enough that he would be able to find and remove it. That is an actual thing he says in game. Irenicus is a complete monster.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

sweet geek swag posted:

Imoen is such a naturally cheerful person that Irenicus couldn't get her Bhaal essence to come out. So his answer was to torture her until she was depressed enough that he would be able to find and remove it. That is an actual thing he says in game. Irenicus is a complete monster.

I don't think I ever noticed this line of dialogue. When does he state this? I knew he tortured her and found her divinity, but I thought his finding her divinity was by accident because torture is fun and Irenicus is perpetually bored.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
CHARNAME absolutely got torture treatment, you can see it in the intro, but Imoen was also Test Subject #1 because Irenicus wanted to test the Imoen -> Bodhi soul stealing procedure first before using it on himself. CHARNAME got less bad treatment because Irenicus wanted to make sure they were intact for his own uses.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

Did the PC even get the torture treatment that Imoen got? I was under the impression that he just straight up nabbed your soul and then dicked around with Imoen (discovering her divinity in the process) and slicing up Dynaheir and Khalid for funsies.

I'm also remembering the first time I played BG2, on the back of BG1, and thinking "holy poo poo this game got dark!" I still think that.

The first thing you see in the game is Irenicus casting some torture spells on the PC, so yeah. It is almost explicitly stated that Imoen got it worse, though. I think Minsc says Dynaheir got killed during the kidnapping itself. I have no idea why Irenicus kept Minsc and Jaheira alive, but it's possible they mention it somewhere and I just missed it.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

Greetings fellows, behold! I have question: Is Imoen voiced by the same actress in BG1 and 2? She always sounded different to me in 2 and wasn't sure if it's the same person. In BG1 she's basically Bernadette from NERD THEORY SHOW and then in BG2 she sounds more like a sad sulking Penny who is fascinated with death.

I think melissa Disney even came back to do her voice for siege of dragonspear

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Crowetron posted:

I have no idea why Irenicus kept Minsc and Jaheira alive, but it's possible they mention it somewhere and I just missed it.

I think he just hadn't used them for anything yet. If I recall he tortures Khalid to death as a way to traumatize Imoen to get the Bhaalspawn part of her more accessible. It's possible that was his plan for Minsc and Jaheira too if that turned out to be necessary and if he wasn't interrupted by the Shadow Thieves' attack.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

The PCs body got tortured but their psyche is currently melting cheese onto tortilla chips irl

Immune to all of Jon's psychological torture

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Crowetron posted:

The first thing you see in the game is Irenicus casting some torture spells on the PC, so yeah. It is almost explicitly stated that Imoen got it worse, though. I think Minsc says Dynaheir got killed during the kidnapping itself. I have no idea why Irenicus kept Minsc and Jaheira alive, but it's possible they mention it somewhere and I just missed it.

Part of what he was doing to Imoen involved vivisecting/dissecting people in front of her (didn't she witness Khalid's death?), so I'd guess that's the fate that was in store for Jaheira and Minsc.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

chaosapiant posted:

I don't think I ever noticed this line of dialogue. When does he state this? I knew he tortured her and found her divinity, but I thought his finding her divinity was by accident because torture is fun and Irenicus is perpetually bored.

Irenicus right before he sucks your soul out: Imoen is indeed a child of Bhaal. I suspect her innocent charm and humor suppressed the darkness. She showed no symptoms because there was no place for shadow in her spirit. I had to show her some very dark shadows indeed. It is unfortunate that it had to be done, but it was necessary to get what I needed.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Does it state in the game how he learned of Imoen's divinity, or did he just sense it faintly from the get-go? I've played this game to death and still miss some details.

sweet geek swag posted:

Irenicus right before he sucks your soul out: Imoen is indeed a child of Bhaal. I suspect her innocent charm and humor suppressed the darkness. She showed no symptoms because there was no place for shadow in her spirit. I had to show her some very dark shadows indeed. It is unfortunate that it had to be done, but it was necessary to get what I needed.

Ah yes, I do remember this line! I'd read it dozens of times but only took at "words" value and didn't really see exactly what he meant until it was spelled out for me. I'm slow sometimes.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Irenicus really makes Sarevok's political scheming seem downright pedestrian, doesn't he.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

chaosapiant posted:

Does it state in the game how he learned of Imoen's divinity, or did he just sense it faintly from the get-go? I've played this game to death and still miss some details.

He never says exactly what tipped him off, it is implied that your similar circumstances with Imoen made him suspicious.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Crowetron posted:

Irenicus really makes Sarevok's political scheming seem downright pedestrian, doesn't he.

I've a hard time deciding who I like more as a villain. Irenicus has far better voicing and character, but his plans are a bit less interesting to me than Sarevok's 12 step plan to blood, war and divinity. He's basically on Littlefinger levels of manipulation in getting Amn and BG to go to war and to be nominated into the BG council.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

I've a hard time deciding who I like more as a villain. Irenicus has far better voicing and character, but his plans are a bit less interesting to me than Sarevok's 12 step plan to blood, war and divinity. He's basically on Littlefinger levels of manipulation in getting Amn and BG to go to war and to be nominated into the BG council.

They're both good in different enough ways that I have a hard time comparing them. But I do think that BG1's narrative is so concerned with Sarevok being a mystery that it ends up downplaying the extent of his scheming. The story's structure ends up hurting Sarevok in terms of presence, whereas Irenicus is much more front and center, so he gets more chances to really stick out in your memory.

"Koveras" is still pretty drat funny, tho.